Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

13 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Absolutely not.  The government will screw up healthcare more than they will help it.  Just like they do with almost everything else.  There needs to be a safety net.  Our system is broke as it is.  I think the current ACA system will/is make it worse.  Your point is correct on one point.  You either go single payer or you open it up and allow more freedom in the healthcare market.  You can have a system where you fix medicaid and medicare and take burden off the ER's.  This is all semantics at this point.  Once the govt gets their hands in something it only grows.  We will more likely than not end up with a single payer.  That is in the way future.  That will lead to a system with less choice, more wait and less people wanting to get into healthcare.  Many docs already dont take medicaid plans due to reimbursement.  I personally deal with that on a daily basis.  The net effect with the ACA and even much more so with single payer will be a destruction of what is mainly good with our system which is employer funded insurance where healthcare is generally very good.  The people covered in the employer based pools will be forced into a system of lower standard than they are accustomed.  

Are your parents not on Medicare? Because if they were, you would understand the statement "the government will screw up healthcare more than they will help" is asinine.

13 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Really, Obama just piled on more debt than all the other presidents COMBINED.  All of them.  The spending issue is not a R or a D thing.

Nice whataboutism.

Obama had to dig the US out of the hole Bush / Republican party's policies put us in. Once he dug us out of the hole, he lowered spending every year thereafter. Over the last 40 years, Ds have decreased spending while Rs have increased spending while cutting revenue. It's insanity. No responsible person runs a business that way nor does a responsible person handle their own finances that way. Its irresponsible and not acceptable.

Now back to the point, we already pay for everyone's medical care. the people opting out are trying to freeride on the rest. again, like Rs economic policies, its irresponsible and not acceptable. and i thought the Rs were the party of personal responsibility. the reality is they are all about personal responsibility when they think it will affect them (everyone has to get car insurance cause what if one of those unemployed poor people run into my car?). and they are all not about personal responsibility when it will not (i dont care if that poor person doesnt have insurance but good god dont do anything that will make my insurance premium go up!). of course they are too stupid or ignorant to understand they are already paying for that poor person in all the ways i cited above and they would actually save money if we had an effective universal health care plan. oh and of course they turn a blind eye to personal responsibility when it conflicts with the desires of special interest groups like insurance companies.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

Just now, tjhooker said:

Not true at all.  My dad had to buy supplemental coverage to get the type of coverage he was used to.  It is a basic level of care which if you paid into it your whole life you'd expect it to be better coverage.  

Everyone has to buy supplemental coverage. It's cheap. 

I wonder what your dad would have to pay for comprehensive coverage if he had to buy it on the open market.

10 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Obviously I am not on a time out.

As for you, Objection. Non-responsive.

Still not responsive.

Aren't you supposed to be on a one week vacation from this forum?

And to answer your question I heard it somewhere.  I can't recall specifically.

51 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Uninsured coverage for people who cannot afford coverage can take many forms.  Medicaid, CHIPS, low cost catastrophic coverage.  There are many plans out there. 

In states that did not expand Medicaid, coverage is not available for non-elderly individuals with no dependents. 

What do you do about those people if they choose not to buy insurance?

^ In his NPR interview, he was talking about govt being the largest manager of risk in the world, and how people don't perceive a change in risk if it goes from 1000000:1 to 10000:1. I believe it was in the context of the questionable preparation give to the different agencies by the Trump transition team. Loss of institutional knowledge.

7 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Michael Lewis' new book is in large part about the myth of the government just sucking at everything and doing nothing right. I thought it was a good read.

Ronald Reagan convincing people to hate a government of the people, by the people, and for the people is one of the many reasons why he was a shitty leader.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, retread said:

^ In his NPR interview, he was talking about govt being the largest manager of risk in the world, and how people don't perceive a change in risk if it goes from 1000000:1 to 10000:1. I believe it was in the context of the questionable preparation give to the different agencies by the Trump transition team. Loss of institutional knowledge.

One of the examples that stuck out to me was the NOAA and their improvements in tornado detection technology. It was fascinating stuff, which of course is about to be led by the former CEO of AccuWeather.

As NOAA administrator, Myers would be in charge of the Weather Service whose data are heavily used by his family business, based in State College, Pa.

AccuWeather has, in the past, supported measures to limit the extent to which the Weather Service can release information to the public, so that private companies could generate their own value-added products using this same information. In 2005, for example, Myers and his brother Joel gave money to then-Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who introduced legislation aimed at curtailing government competition with private weather services.

“Barry Myers defines ‘conflict of interest,’” said Ciaran Clayton, who was communications director at NOAA in the Obama administration. “He actively lobbied to privatize the National Weather Service, which works day in and day out to protect the lives and livelihoods of millions of Americans, to benefit his own company’s bottom line.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

"Deductibility." This fucker thinks a deductible is what you can deduct from your taxes. 

It was clear to me that he was speaking to the deductible associated with insurance coverage. The 7k figure meant the first 7k was out of pocket.

Apropos of nothing:

“From the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan,” Trump told the Times.

This is definitely a man who understands how health insurance works and anyone who thinks otherwise is insane and probably a traitor to this country.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

He meant Medicare would take care of them when they retired. 

JFC, the hate is strong. 

So from age 21 to 70 I pay $12/yr ($1/month) and I get full medical benefits when I retire, for the..checks notes..$600 total I put in over my lifetime? Sounds like a sweet deal.  One small question, what about my insurance the other 50 years? 

1 minute ago, Lagunamadre said:

So from age 21 to 70 I pay $12/yr ($1/month) and I get full medical benefits when I retire, for the..checks notes..$600 total I put in over my lifetime? Sounds like a sweet deal.  One small question, what about my insurance the other 50 years? 

Yeah, I'm not buying the explanation.  I'm pretty sure Trump thinks health insurance is like Social Security or a pension.  Never mind his complete ignorance on the actual cost to the individual . . .

It would go up over time. That goes up without saying. He is saying that a 21 year old kid doesn't use much insurance and by restructuring how healthcare is provided and paid for he ensures the solvency of the system.

However, there will not be any disease in 50 years so fuck it.