2019 Body Transformation Thread

15 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

That's awesome. One thing I think we forget to mention on this thread is the lack of mental fog on the keto diet.

I've noticed this, too. I figured it was just something the keto freaks said, but there's something to it. 

I went on vacation and then out of town for work and didn't exercise for 3 weeks, so I put on a few pounds, but I somehow didn't cheat on the food. The thing I've noticed on keto, that a lot of people say doesn't happen, is I'm hungry a lot. Really hungry. I can control not eating, but when I eat, I can down a dozen eggs and a bunch of sausage and bacon in one sitting and I'm not full. I can't seem to get over that point and I was never a big portion eater.  

Try snacking between main meals.

I’m eating 240 - 260 calories in the morning and that lasts till 9:30 or so. I have a 100 cal protein packed snack (bar or jerky or eggs) and I’m good till lunch. I’ve learned what I thought was the right portions for me was way off. Play with your caloric intake and how you’re getting those calories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped below 300 pounds for the first time in 20 years. I hit a low of 295 over the weekend, but have leveled out at around 297 this week. That is 75 pounds lost since November.

My next goal is 130KG (286 lbs), I'm shooting for first week of May.

• Like 9

I’m stuck but mainly bc I’ve started drinking beer again and too many little cheats. I’ve successfully avoided major cheats like bread, chips, potatoes, rice, crackers and pasta etc so that’s good. Throwing it out there for some modicum of accountability. Need to drop 10 more ...

On 4/16/2019 at 11:40 PM, Fastbreak said:

I dropped below 300 pounds for the first time in 20 years. I hit a low of 295 over the weekend, but have leveled out at around 297 this week. That is 75 pounds lost since November.

Well done, that is very impressive. Hope you can keep it up! As a word of caution, since you mention your next goal, keep trying for it, but don't be discouraged if you don't hit it, just keep the course. I have learned you need to change you goals slowly the more you lose. Meaning, you can keep losing, but it gets slower and slower and harder and harder. And eventually you will stall, but if you power through it, keep it up, you will get through it. This is based on my experience, so may be different for others. 

As for my progress, I am down 70 pounds in 11 months. It is funny because I always knew I was fat, mostly a big gut, but I didn't care. But to help you, I probably lost the first 50 very quickly, and it has been a slow burn since. Meaning you are going to hit a wall, or what looks like a wall, but keep it up, keep doing whatever you are doing that works. Just don't get discouraged when the numbers are a lot less, or stall. That is when most people give up. 

Oh, and here are my numbers. Went from 42% fat to 19%.BMI went from 33 to 24. So I still have work to go, but progress. Actually went and got a Dexa scan on my own last week to confirm or see my progress. They have different numbers, but that equated to the same progress. 

Basically just wanted to say everyone in this thread should keep it up, Everyone is different, tons of ways to lose weight. But if you are looking at this thread, that means you should at least try. 

• Like 1

Keep it up bro that’s amazing !

Just checking in, still on board here. My weight loss is very slow but very steady. I'll be fiddy nine this year and I can tell you that my metabolism is nothing like it was in my 40's. My body seems to be fighting my attempts at boosting it thru exercise. Nonetheless I'm losing weight month by month rather than day to day or week to week. At this stage in life it's as important to me to be eating in a way that is sustainable and isn't actively pushing my weight up. That's a win for me.  I guess what I'm doing is just a very slight calorie deficit and over time it results in some weight dropping off. I'm below 230 now and started in January at 233. So a pound a month? I was trying for a pound and a half a month so maybe need to step up the activity a bit more and probably will as daylight and outdoor temps are more conducive. 

Anyway, try as best you can to avoid the Reese's peanut butter eggs this weekend, they're everywhere and they are delicious.

Been fasting since Sunday 9:00pm. Breaking it this afternoon. The hardest part has been the habit/boredom.

No numbers, haven’t weighed myself in a while, but have been plateaued in the 215ish area. Gonna weigh myself this Sunday after I’ve eaten over the weekend and probably try it again next week.

Hola gents! Weighed myself the other day at a hotel and I'm over 200 which means I need to take health seriously again with my second child coming very soon. Probably going to be hard to get anything going with a new baby here at first but hoping to make incremental progress and will try and report back for some guidance and encouragement.

199.4 this morning. Been trying to get under 200 since Feb. Started at 215-220. Dipped below once and then I went on vacation. I didn't cheat on food, but I got out of exercising for a couple weeks and put 6 or 7 pounds back on that I've been working off the past month. Still want to get down to 180, but if I can get to 185, I'll be very happy. 

One thing about keto, I will say, it is sustainable. At least for me. I haven't cheated  in 12 weeks as far as food goes and I fully planned on cheating at least once or twice a month. I just haven't had too much urge and when I do, it goes away pretty fast. I also feel really good, so I haven't wanted that to change.

I think exercise goes a lot further too on keto. When I started getting back into it, just walking even, the weight started coming back off slowly. Obvious, I know, saying exercise helps, but it's more noticeable now than anytime in the past and easier to lose weight. Part of it I think, is that it has evened out my glucose where it's usually in the 80's now and not spiking at all, that I've noticed. I think I had probably slipped into being insulin resistant for a while, so losing weight was very difficult. 

Anyway, how ever you're doing it, keep on keepin' on.   

• Like 3

After 30 days on this shakes and snacks diet, I’m down to 212 from 223. I’ve lost two inches around the waist. Next stop / goal is 205. From there, I have no idea what will happen. I’m doing a mix of heavy lifting days and metcon days in the gym. I’d like to fit into 34” pants and have something resembling a 6-pack. I have no idea what my weight will be if I hit those goals.

• Like 1

Weighed in at 201.6 this morning. Two pounds down since my birthday at the beginning of April.  Size 34 pants fit great in the waist but are tight on my thighs (thank you squats). I look good and feel good. Now I just need to continue hitting the cardio and get down to 195. I want a 6 pack soooooo bad. I’m benching more than my body weight for the first time in my life too.

• Like 5

So question for OVER training. If you hit a muscle group and take it too failure with low rep high weight, how many days until hitting that group again?  I read recently only do that group once a week; that’s if your goal is gaining muscle mass, not talking about a weight loss goal. In the past I probably hit same group to failure at least twice a week...wondering if I’ve been over training. 

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've gotten pretty efficient at body transformation. Unfortunately, transformation goes both ways. Starting the downward trend today, again.c615550df966fe47aff4fd43e9e71e13.jpg

Looks like during your bulking phases you also stop logging weight regularly. Maybe small tweak of continuous weighting’s, even if it’s bad news, will help during those periods to get you back on track. 

So question for OVER training. If you hit a muscle group and take it too failure with low rep high weight, how many days until hitting that group again?  I read recently only do that group once a week; that’s if your goal is gaining muscle mass, not talking about a weight loss goal. In the past I probably hit same group to failure at least twice a week...wondering if I’ve been over training. 
If you aren't sure, 3-4 days later you can hit it again.

I've fallen off the wagon. I started the year at 209 and through diet, no alcohol and exercise, I lost 10lbs in January. My first child was born the beginning of February and somehow I lost another 6lbs that month (probably because I never slept). Since then I'm back up to 200lbs and tight clothes. Sucks. Alcohol and sweets have slowly crept back in. I gotta knock those out and find time to get back into the gym a few days a week. This weekend is my member/guest so the no booze thing is going to have to wait until Monday. Congrats to all those that have stayed on track.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:01 PM, Parliament said:
On 5/1/2019 at 11:30 AM, 4thgenhorn said:

If you aren't sure, 3-4 days later you can hit it again.

Monday Workout ---> Tuesday rest for muscle ----> Wednesday workout again. 

The muscle needs rest. But, you also need to hit it multiple times. 1 full days rest (48 hours between workouts) is all you generally need, but listen to your body if it is telling you can't do it.  You'll lose benefits if you regularly wait 3 to 4 days to hit the same muscle again. You need more volume than that to really promote growth. 

10 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Monday Workout ---> Tuesday rest for muscle ----> Wednesday workout again. 

The muscle needs rest. But, you also need to hit it multiple times. 1 full days rest (48 hours between workouts) is all you generally need, but listen to your body if it is telling you can't do it.  You'll lose benefits if you regularly wait 3 to 4 days to hit the same muscle again. You need more volume than that to really promote growth. 

All of this. I go on an every other day schedule, and I do 20 min of hard cardio(elliptical) to start and then hit the weights until they burn, and then 10 more cardio before I leave. It's really been working. I'm adding muscle mass and definition and still losing weight...down to 178. 

I’ve got a 4 day a week thing going.
Monday and Thursday are power days (5x5 squat, Roman dead lift, bench, shoulder press, pull-ups)

Tuesday and Friday or Saturday is a metcon type day. I’ll do a high intensity cross fit style workout.

I can finally do 6 pull-ups in a row. Been since college.

Fasting question for those of y'all who've gone extended periods:

I had been pretty keto for about two weeks and fell off the wagon by going to the abw bday party.  That morning, I had been 203 or so.  By Monday morning, 210.

The last thing I had other than tea and water was on Sunday night.  Been doing pretty good so far, especially considering that I'm also kicking the sucralose type drinks (coke zero, absolute monster).  Today, I was a little shaky and depleted though so I went to heb and got the most organicy looking beef bone broth and a jar of pickles.  I heated up 8 oz of the broth and sipped that along with a gulp or two of pickle juice.  I felt a lot better after that too.  I know that it's against a water fast but at 90 hours in, I felt it was the best thing to do to feel normal again.

I've been drinking a lot of topo chico including the keg of it I made in my kegerator (just tapped it and started a new 5 gallon batch).  Is there anything else I can do or should do to prolong it?  I don't really have a weight or time goal in mind.  Just wanted to see how long I can go before losing my sanity. 

Greetings fellow travelers! Still livin' la Keto loco. Best guess is I'm down around 7 pounds for the year, maybe 8. Pants started to fit funny and I couldn't tell whether I had put some on or lost some because I got in between belt notches. Still fat but still headed in the right direction. Hit 225 this morning which I'm pretty sure I haven't seen since around 2000. It's been a while. However at that time I was carrying a lot more muscle. So while this new weight is good and all there's still a lot of flab and a long way to go. Goal for the year was to get down to a steady 215 after starting at 233. Modest but doable goal. We're getting close to the halfway point in the year and I'm pretty much on track. 

Keep it up and keep it Surly.

• Like 1

Ok just finished the fast at 168 hours with some fried eggs and bacon. Maybe a glass of wine or two as well. Probably gonna end up shitting myself later and definitely going to end up gaining a few of the 11 pounds I lost. I’ll weigh in the morning and see.

tried a keto diet for about 3 weeks.  was at 232lbs and was maintaining a gut for first time.  Really just read a few pages on the redit site for keto and cut out the usual stuff:

- bread/buns/torts/chips, - pasta/rice noodles and the big 3 were chocolate candy, cookies and frozen margs (40g carbs per; ouch!)

basically just reading ingredients was really eye opening (and googling "how many carbs in ________").  Not sure if I ever got into full keto or not.  But after almost 3 weeks of trying to stay under 20g carbs/day, I dropped 14lbs.  So pretty pleased with everything after the gut went back into hiding.  Backed off a little and trying to just maintain at about 220lbs now.  This was with pretty much zero exercise.  Had shoulder surgery 10days ago so just started rehabbing that.

miss eating the noodles out of pho the most right now and often have dreams where I eat corn chips and devour chocolate pie.

Also, has anyone tried the Choc Zero stuff?  They claim like 2-3 net carbs (15 carbs with 13 from fiber)  It is insanely good and I'm kinda skeptical about it.  I tried (and failed) to make baker's chocolate taste sweet with Splenda and heavy whipping cream to get a chocolate fix.