Texas Politics Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Well, this is interesting:

Liz Wahl, a former TV anchor for the American branch of Russia Today, filed to seek the Democratic nomination to take on Texas GOP Rep. Will Hurd over the holidays, and she soon confirmed she was in. Wahl, who had spent two-and-a-half years at RT America, earned international attention in 2014 when she announced on the air that she was quitting from the Kremlin-funded propaganda network.

Wahl told viewers at the time that she “cannot be part of a network that whitewashes the actions of Putin,” adding, “I am proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth and that is why after this newscast I’m resigning.” The Daily Beast’s James Kirchick would write afterwards that Wahl had told him six months before that she felt morally compromised working for RT but wasn’t ready to leave, and that the network’s coverage of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was the final straw for her. Wahl has kept a much lower profile since then, and this appears to be her first run for office. 

Texas’ 23rd District backed Hillary Clinton 50-46, and Hurd won re-election last year 49.2-48.7 against Democrat Gina Ortiz Jones, a margin of just 926 votes. Ortiz Jones said in December that she was “very likely” to run again.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2019/1/3/1823356/-Ex-Russia-Today-anchor-who-announced-on-air-she-was-quitting-propaganda-network-running-for-House

8 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Well, this is interesting:

Liz Wahl, a former TV anchor for the American branch of Russia Today, filed to seek the Democratic nomination to take on Texas GOP Rep. Will Hurd over the holidays, and she soon confirmed she was in. Wahl, who had spent two-and-a-half years at RT America, earned international attention in 2014 when she announced on the air that she was quitting from the Kremlin-funded propaganda network.

Wahl told viewers at the time that she “cannot be part of a network that whitewashes the actions of Putin,” adding, “I am proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth and that is why after this newscast I’m resigning.” The Daily Beast’s James Kirchick would write afterwards that Wahl had told him six months before that she felt morally compromised working for RT but wasn’t ready to leave, and that the network’s coverage of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was the final straw for her. Wahl has kept a much lower profile since then, and this appears to be her first run for office. 

Texas’ 23rd District backed Hillary Clinton 50-46, and Hurd won re-election last year 49.2-48.7 against Democrat Gina Ortiz Jones, a margin of just 926 votes. Ortiz Jones said in December that she was “very likely” to run again.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2019/1/3/1823356/-Ex-Russia-Today-anchor-who-announced-on-air-she-was-quitting-propaganda-network-running-for-House

Rules

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Her work for RT should be immediately disqualifying.  I don’t care how she went out. 

No one with that kind of judgment should be shaping laws in Washington.  

We are in agreement on this.

I need a shower now.

No idea where to put this - new Harris County Clerk unveils plan for voters to be able to vote at "any polling location" on Election Day (like Early Voting) instead of at your assigned precinct.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/politics/2019/01/07/317133/trautman-to-unveil-plan-for-countywide-election-day-voting-centers/

Because with technology, it shouldn't be this difficult. Harris County would be Texas county #53.  If it passes, I'd expect 2021 Texas Legislature to immediately ban it statewide because "VOTER FRAUD!"

Democrats = make voting easier and more accessible

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

No idea where to put this - new Harris County Clerk unveils plan for voters to be able to vote at "any polling location" on Election Day (like Early Voting) instead of at your assigned precinct.

Guadalupe started that last year, it's awesome, even though I still go to my regular location.

Comal - I've been pushing them but the law requires that both county chairs and the commissioners agree, and they can't get one, or both, (they are somewhat hesitant to tell me) of the chairs to agree. I don't live in Comal, but I've been riding them on that. One day I'll get off my ass and email the chairs and see wtf is up because it only helps voters.

If anyone get's bored, the statute is 43.007.

(4) each primary election and runoff primary election if:

(A) the county chair or county executive committee of each political party participating in a joint primary election under Section 172.126 agrees to the use of countywide polling places; or

(B) the county chair or county executive committee of each political party required to nominate candidates by primary election agrees to use the same countywide polling places; and

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, relapse98 said:

Comal - I've been pushing them but the law requires that both county chairs and the commissioners agree, and they can't get one, or both, (they are somewhat hesitant to tell me) of the chairs to agree. I don't live in Comal, but I've been riding them on that. One day I'll get off my ass and email the chairs and see wtf is up because it only helps voters.

Stay in your lane, bro.

Just kidding, it's a good idea. It would probably benefit the people in New Braunfels more than the people over here in the Spring Branch area but I would support the change.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Stay in your lane, bro.

Completely and totally off topic - but have you been to Chick's Meat Market in Bulverde yet? If no, I suggest it. They got some pretty good meats. We went to check it out and picked up a southwestern stuffed pork tenderloin - good heavens.

9 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Completely and totally off topic - but have you been to Chick's Meat Market in Bulverde yet? If no, I suggest it. They got some pretty good meats. We went to check it out and picked up a southwestern stuffed pork tenderloin - good heavens.

Yeah, I've been there quite a bit. I am still a fairly loyal Granzin's customer but Chick's is a lot more convenient.

I don't know how you leftists can claim that Lt. Gov. Patrick's message carries too far and too broadly.  If my balls are in his mouth, how can he shout his message of ignorance carry so loudly?  Seriously, I have a robust sack.  

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Over 4,000,000 Texans voted for this. 

The Texas GOP loves them some carpetbaggers.

Danny Goeb = Maryland

Donna Campbell = California

Ken Paxton = North Dakota

I don't get it either, but they love people coming in from other states to tell us how to run Texas.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hecht is like if trump got elected to the Texas Supreme Court in the 80s, had far less ambition and drive, and stayed there until today.

Hes an evil sack of shit. He just wants to retain power to enrich his incompetent self and fuck other people over.

If he wants something you should definitely oppose it. 

While I agree with non-partisan elections generally and judicial elections in particular, the fact that he's calling for non-partisan judicial elections right now, as the republicans are set to lose nearly every bench in every big county in the state, feels like taking your ball and going home.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

While I agree with non-partisan elections generally and judicial elections in particular, the fact that he's calling for non-partisan judicial elections right now, as the republicans are set to lose nearly every bench in every big county in the state, feels like taking your ball and going home.

Meh. He's said it before, and no matter his intentions, I agree with him.

Edit: I mean, what are we supposed to do? Argue against him because maybe now he's taking his ball? He's right, so let's just agree.

Edited by relapse98

• 3 weeks later...