Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao at comparing to some drunk thread at night after a playoff win to actually having week after week of posts about how Zeke is now easily replaced by Pollard. Keep reaching, though. Good job trying to deflect over y'alls shitty opinions. I didn't offer any opinion that night. I simply said for everyone to suck our dick that night. Big deal. You guys have had tons of time to think about how stupid yall sound with these dumb ass takes and you continue day after day to make this point Zeke is replaceable by fucking Pollard. Good grief. Embarrassing. 

Zeke has been the best RB in the league since he got here and transformed our offense right away but some dude has played a few preseason (PRESEASON!!) games and now he's more versatile than Zeke and we should kick the best RB in the league to the curb and become worse in the most important position in this offense. 

Maybe, and just hear me out, maybe the Cowboys brass finally realized that RB shouldn’t be the most important position in any offense in 2019.  Ever think of that? Because every good team in the NFL has figured that out. 

Zeke transformed this offense into one that it is outdated. 

Pollard cant replace Zeke if the plan is to feed him 25-30 times a game. But if the plan is to build the offense around the passing game - which every team worth a shit does - then Pollard will work.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Maybe, and just hear me out, maybe the Cowboys brass finally realized that RB shouldn’t be the most important position in any offense in 2019.  Ever think of that? Because every good team in the NFL has figured that out. 

Pollard cant replace Zeke if the plan is to feed him 25-30 times a game. But if the plan is to build the offense around the passing game - which every team worth a shit does - then Pollard will work.  

Then why offer Zeke a contract close to Gurley's if they think that? Because that is what they did according to many reports. It is more incentive laced but it's close. They still know they need Zeke this season. And if they decided this, do you really think Garrett is going to completely scrap this whole offensive gameplan? It's centered around Zeke. Also, if they just now decided that, then it was a complete waste going all in on the OL. That was built specifically for this run game. Otherwise, it is not needed. They could have used the salary of one less of them and use it for the defense, which is where the most needs are.

I'd love to move away from this old style offense. This is a QB's league now. Yet we force ours to play in a RB centered offense. Dak would be much better if you spread the field and run a quick read offense that has a pace to it. The short and quick passing game opens up the field and softens the defense just as much as the run game.

We are going to keep the same offense. That has been evident this whole time here under Garrett. When Romo went down, every single time the backup came in, they ran the offense Romo ran and expected him to do what Romo did. Instead of catering to their strengths. Especially in 2015. Of course those guys were going to fail. They were running an offense that was not what they did best.

With that being said, I have no idea how this team will be the same when you take away the most important player and the best at his position since he entered the league and replace him with a much lesser RB and expect this offense to be the same. We created this monster and now have to deal with. Zeke and his agent know this. Dallas is not going to play this season without him. They know that is a death sentence. Pollard will be a good RB to come in for Zeke. You expose him as the main guy, he will be just another generic RB.

34 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

This guy gets it. 

Coming of a hip surgery, with a recent setback.   Hips aren’t a big deal for corners apparently 

I mean Jones has had one good season. And there is a lot of thought that while good he wasn’t nearly as good as PFF made him out to be. It’ll be like losing Hitchens last year. The price tag will be WAY too high to keep a good player here. Let some other team overpay for a DB who doesn’t change the game as much as some thing and doesn’t get turnovers.

The seem to keep drafting quality DBs every draft, they’ll just keep churning them out. There isn’t a CB in the league that changes outcomes or games consistently(not even Ramsey, which is why I bang my head on the wall every time someone says they should have taken him).

They took Zeke as a finishing piece to Romos cowboys team. Just didn’t work out. But I think everyone can agree he’s affected the team much more than any 1 DB would. The way they tailored the offense around him made the defense better. Not sure Ramsey could have done that anymore than Jones Does.

Now I agree with most they Shiism start shifting away from the ball control, Zeke lead team and get with the times...but that dies NOT make the Zeke pick a bad one.

He’ll with him and pollard I could see a devastating 1-2 punch much like NO has enjoyed.

Just catching upoin this thread for this season and it looks like a everyone is already in mid season form...

Pollard looks great but he isn’t a chain mover like Zeke, if dallas had both it might the best one-two punch in the league. I’m just not sure I could pay Zeke as much as he wants, tough call for jones...

• Like 1

Maybe Zeke can transition to receiver so his coming deal will actually be a bargain. 

If you think a quality top line corner doesn't have an impact on winning you should really see how little impact a top running back has. All those playoff wins and titles just kept racking up for Adrian Peterson and last season injured Todd's fat, couch potato replacement sure had a tough time. 

Maybe we can see if Jerry can set the record for most money ever spent on an OL and RB. Who will still never win shit, but at least it's a record.  

I feel like some of y’all are talking about Zeke like he can’t play Pollard’s role. He can catch the ball downfield. His hands and his route running ability are top tier. You saw it the 2nd half of last year, and in the Detroit game. You don’t have to run a 90s offense with Zeke. Vic, you’re making rash assumptions about what our offense is going to look like this year under Kellen Moore. You don’t know what it’s going to look like. Neither do I. But to think it’s going to be exactly the same is a little ridiculous IMO. 

Having Pollard is going to be nice in regards to keeping zeke’s touches down this year. If you’re going to sign him, you can’t run him into the ground anymore. You have to use both guys. When you have that lead or a tie game in the 4th quarter, let him eat. But make no mistake about it, if you sign him, both guys have to play. A lot. Pollard has a skill set that will absolutely help this team, and he needs to see the field early and often. 

23 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Mean the Patriots gave a guy like Stephon Gilmore 5 years/$65 mil and I'd say he had a huge impact on the Patriots last Super Bowl run as a CB.

Now Byron Jones may not be worth it but Jalen Ramsey did help take his team to the 2018 AFC Championship game- it wasn't because of Blake Bortles greatness.

I feel like they'll re-sign Jones if he agrees to a team friendly deal like Jaylon's.  If he wants the most money possible, then if he balls out, he'll most likely hit FA.  If he's mediocre, maybe we re-sign him to a short-term deal dependent on why and what Richard thinks.

I agree with this, but it means that our web back Austin is considered more of a RB, which is silly in its own right.

Devin has massive injury background over the past several years. I would almost be surprised to see him make the cut, with Cedric showing up so impressively and working special teams. With today's rules Smith may still have PS eligibility, not sure what they are now. I don't think a lot of teams would be swarming to sign him off waivers, WR meat on the bone is fairly plentiful in this league. He can be exposed. Wilson being ahead of him in the pecking order isn't working in his favor.

Edited by DougO

Wonder what the odds Zekes holdout carries over into the regular season at this point.
Still wants to be the highest paid RB of all time.
The thing is, Our schedule is so soft to start it won't matter if he's there. Giants have one weapon on offense and Eli is washed and has no WRs. Redskins with Keenum and no Trent Williams? Dolphins might be the worst team in football. That's our first 3 games. With or without Zeke, we should be 3-0. Then it gets tougher

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:
Wonder what the odds Zekes holdout carries over into the regular season at this point.
Still wants to be the highest paid RB of all time.

The thing is, Our schedule is so soft to start it won't matter if he's there. Giants have one weapon on offense and Eli is washed and has no WRs. Redskins with Keenum and no Trent Williams? Dolphins might be the worst team in football. That's our first 3 games. With or without Zeke, we should be 3-0. Then it gets tougher

I fully expect to lose one of those first 3 games, with or without Zeke. Probably to the giants or the redskins, but it also wouldn’t shock me if fitzmagic caught fire and had one of his unexplainable games. It’s the nfl, man. A different contender has a really bad loss almost every week.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Daniel Jones has looked way better than anyone thought even for preseason but he won't have the team around him this year to be any good even if he is. 

If Zeke misses games he's an idiot. Pollard looks legit, and there's a damn good chance they beat up on the first 3 garbage teams to go 3-0. The fans will turn on him for being a selfish asshole with 2 years left on rookie deal while Dak and Cooper are there playing for the team on the last year with no deal. If they go 3-0 and the offense looks solid the narrative will be really strong that running backs are replaceable and they don't need him. He's taking a huge risk and based on how they look in camp the odds aren't in his favor. 

Sturm brought some interesting info I didn't know. Apparently the reason Faulk and Dickerson have been pimping Zeke getting his highest paid RB money and Faulk even calling Dak a bum is because all 3 have the same agent and Faulk/Dickerson stand to gain monetarily from the agent the more Zeke gets paid. Zeke is just way too much of a headache and not worth it for a position that has low value towards winning. 

Saw another post that a new offer closer to Gurley is on the table and is "getting done." Same thing I read last Friday. Who the fuck knows anymore. I saw he is working in Mexico with Marshall Faulk to get into "game shape." If we give him that money and he shows up a fat tub, fuck him forever. Just sign the godamned contract and get to camp asshole!

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Saw another post that a new offer closer to Gurley is on the table and is "getting done." Same thing I read last Friday. Who the fuck knows anymore. I saw he is working in Mexico with Marshall Faulk to get into "game shape." If we give him that money and he shows up a fat tub, fuck him forever. Just sign the godamned contract and get to camp asshole!

Zeke is never in mid season form week 1. He always comes out sluggish. As long as he’s in form by week 4 vs the saints, that’s all I care about. Clearly going to need him that game 

Yeah rumor seems to be they are offering Gurley money overall but less guaranteed. Gurley got 45 million guaranteed / 20 million signing bonus.

Honestly think that's a terrible team deal especially since he has 2 years left on his contract but whatever. Cowboy fans will be pumped.

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

I’m just starting to get to the point where I don’t care about 2 or 3 years from now. This year and next year. That’s probably the window. Anything after that involves a lot of unknown (both positive and negative). If we have Zeke, and everyone is healthy, I’ll take our roster top to bottom over anyone in the NFC

Lol why the fuck would the rams give Gurley that contract? I know we’ve beat this topic into the ground, but it just doesn’t make any sense. From any angle. The rams don’t strike me as a dumb organization. Even if he didn’t have the injuries, I just don’t see the logic. It would make more sense if we reset the rb market because of how important Zeke is. But i would think the rams have enough faith in McVay that they wouldn’t pay Gurley that kind of money 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Lol why the fuck would the rams give Gurley that contract? I know we’ve beat this topic into the ground, but it just doesn’t make any sense. From any angle. The rams don’t strike me as a dumb organization. Even if he didn’t have the injuries, I just don’t see the logic. It would make more sense if we reset the rb market because of how important Zeke is. But i would think the rams have enough faith in McVay that they wouldn’t pay Gurley that kind of money 

Because they had Goff on a rookie contract and Gurley was the best and most important cog in their offense at that time.  Doesn't mean another cog couldn't have been found, but they also wanted a good team and star power for the move to LA.  He brought back memories of Dickerson.  Also they hoped he would also sell luxury suites and season tix for their new stadium opening next year.  It was as much a business decision externally as it was a football decision.  Cowboys aren't in the same situation.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Because they had Goff on a rookie contract and Gurley was the best and most important cog in their offense at that time.  Doesn't mean another cog couldn't have been found, but they also wanted a good team and star power for the move to LA.  He brought back memories of Dickerson.  Also they hoped he would also sell luxury suites and season tix for their new stadium opening next year.  It was as much a business decision externally as it was a football decision.  Cowboys aren't in the same situation.

I get that logic, but he still had two years left on his deal, and showed no signs of holding out (although, you don’t know someone is going to hold until they hold out). I get wanting to get ahead of the situation and signing him, but the actual number is ridiculous

4 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Daniel Jones has looked way better than anyone thought even for preseason but he won't have the team around him this year to be any good even if he is. 

If Zeke misses games he's an idiot. Pollard looks legit, and there's a damn good chance they beat up on the first 3 garbage teams to go 3-0. The fans will turn on him for being a selfish asshole with 2 years left on rookie deal while Dak and Cooper are there playing for the team on the last year with no deal. If they go 3-0 and the offense looks solid the narrative will be really strong that running backs are replaceable and they don't need him. He's taking a huge risk and based on how they look in camp the odds aren't in his favor. 

Sturm brought some interesting info I didn't know. Apparently the reason Faulk and Dickerson have been pimping Zeke getting his highest paid RB money and Faulk even calling Dak a bum is because all 3 have the same agent and Faulk/Dickerson stand to gain monetarily from the agent the more Zeke gets paid. Zeke is just way too much of a headache and not worth it for a position that has low value towards winning. 

Sturm was purely speculating on the bolded part. He has no more clue as to whether they'll get paid off of Zeke than you or I. 

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah rumor seems to be they are offering Gurley money overall but less guaranteed. Gurley got 45 million guaranteed / 20 million signing bonus.

Honestly think that's a terrible team deal especially since he has 2 years left on his contract but whatever. Cowboy fans will be pumped.

Why does everyone forget that this past spring Stephen, literally unprompted, opened his fat mouth and said that the negotiations START with Gurley money.  Why are we all surprised that Zeke is unhappy with anything less when his own GM spouted out that nonsense less than 5 months ago?

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I honestly think they really liked him and wanted to reward him while they could.  and while it is a dumb contract, if he’d ripped off 1,600 yards and 20 tds last season nobody would be talking about how bad it is. 

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Why does everyone forget that this past spring Stephen, literally unprompted, opened his fat mouth and said that the negotiations START with Gurley money.  Why are we all surprised that Zeke is unhappy with anything less when his own GM spouted out that nonsense less than 5 months ago?

I don’t remember him saying that at all. In fact, I remember him saying something along the lines of “I don’t care what the rams paid Gurley. We aren’t in the same position the rams were in when they paid Gurley” or some shit.

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t remember him saying that at all. In fact, I remember him saying something along the lines of “I don’t care what the rams paid Gurley. We aren’t in the same position the rams were in when they paid Gurley” or some shit.

no he said something about starting with gurley’s contract and going from there.  but that doesn’t mean you can’t go down from there. 

41 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Sturm was purely speculating on the bolded part. He has no more clue as to whether they'll get paid off of Zeke than you or I. 

Sure, but you really think they're going to be pimping the agent's other clients, and even attacking the other client's competition for salary money, if they aren't gaining from it? What motivation would they have for that?

Nobody does anything unless they're getting theirs. 

Edited by Junior Miller

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Jones acknowledged as much back in February, when he said that Gurley’s contract with the Los Angeles Rams provided a guideline for negotiations with Elliott.

We certainly saw what Gurley got paid, and we know that’s probably where it starts, and we’ll go from there,” he said at the NFL Combine.

LINK

• Like 2