Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

Fair enough. He’s definitely talking out of both sides of his mouth though. This is what he said earlier this month:

Stephen Jones saying basically the exact opposite

"I think the market reset with Le'Veon," he said. "I think you see what happens with Gurley and you get a great player like Le'Veon, who's every bit as well thought of as Gurley and he had unfettered free agency. He had 32 teams with no draft picks attached, and the market was $13.5 million ... less than Gurley's. At the end of the day, business changes, and we pay attention to that."

Because if what you’re saying is how he really felt, why would we be at this stand still between Bell and Gurley’s contract?

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Why does everyone forget that this past spring Stephen, literally unprompted, opened his fat mouth and said that the negotiations START with Gurley money.  Why are we all surprised that Zeke is unhappy with anything less when his own GM spouted out that nonsense less than 5 months ago?

A major part of this franchise's misery the last 25 years is the inability of the Jones boys to shut their fucking traps.  They think they're the smartest guys at the PC, but their results would have gotten them fired from any football job with an objective criteria.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A major part of this franchise's misery the last 25 years is the inability of the Jones boys to shut their fucking traps.  They think they're the smartest guys at the PC, but their results would have gotten them fired from any football job with an objective criteria.  

can you repeat this 100 times a day????   I guess with ownership comes priveldges...... but let the fans come together and all sit outside drinking free beer for the whole 1st quarter and demand an end to the fuckery

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

You assuming he can't be stupid because of race is what's racist. No wonder you constantly stump for a QB named "White"

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

Zeke is as dumb as a bag of rocks.  Has nothing to do with race.

oh look, it’s hitler and goebbels

When would be the last realistic date he could sign and still play week 1? Or has that already passed and even if he signs he's not going to be ready to play until week 2?

I hope he sits the first several games of the season and doesn't sign an extension. Need to see if your QB is worth $30+ million a year, and to be worth it he needs to be the focal point of the offense and the team needs to win on his arm and the backs of the defense. I have a feeling Zeke is a crutch they relied on when Dak was a rookie who was forced by Romo's frailty into action too early, but at this point if he's going to get that kind of money he needs to show he can carry the offense. 

Edited by Junior Miller

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I have nothing to base this on, but I think Zeke will sign by Saturday night.  He will be in the filed week 1.

based on nothing I think he will hold out into the season.  he knows his second contract is the best chance he’ll have in his life to make the most money possible.  and he and jerry both seem dug in.  he thinks he’s worth at least what gurley got and he won’t take less.  jerry won’t give that much.  fascinating game of chicken.  

based on nothing I think he will hold out into the season.  he knows his second contract is the best chance he’ll have in his life to make the most money possible.  and he and jerry both seem dug in.  he thinks he’s worth at least what gurley got and he won’t take less.  jerry won’t give that much.  fascinating game of chicken.  

I hope Jerry starts fining him if he misses regular season games. The Cowboys could just say fuck it and get 7 games a season for the next 3 years of Zeke and let him fucking walk. He thinks he holds all the leverage, but he doesn’t.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I have nothing to base this on, but I think Zeke will sign by Saturday night.  He will be in the filed week 1.

I think he sits for week 1 at the very least. Zeke has zero leverage until games start. I don’t see any way we pay Zeke as much or more than Gurley until they see this offense can’t function without him. Whether that’s true or not remains to be seen. If we come out week 1 and both Dak and Pollard have great games, I think Zeke folds and accepts that contract we offered. Right now he’s pretty dead set on being the highest paid rb in the league, and I don’t see that changing before we play the giants 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think he sits for week 1 at the very least. Zeke has zero leverage until games start. I don’t see any way we pay Zeke as much or more than Gurley until they see this offense can’t function without him. Whether that’s true or not remains to be seen. If we come out week 1 and both Dak and Pollard have great games, I think Zeke folds and accepts that contract we offered. Right now he’s pretty dead set on being the highest paid rb in the league, and I don’t see that changing before we play the giants 

Yeah, instead of looking at it as a bad thing the Jones' should look at it as a great opportunity to see what Dak can do. If the offense doesn't have Zeke to rely on and Moore calls a more modern style of game that leads to a more productive offense they can just pull the offer off the table and say show up or sit for 3 years. 

If the offense looks like shit because they're missing a running back then that means your QB shouldn't get top 10 money. 

Edited by Junior Miller

NFLPA looking into Cowboys’ direct dealing with players

On Wednesday, NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo pointed out a dynamic that the Dallas Cowboys haven’t tried all that hard to hide: Their propensity for cutting out the middleman and dealing directly with players who are represented by agents.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL Players Association views the situation as “not good,” and currently is doing its due diligence before taking any official action and/or issuing any formal statement.

It won’t be hard for the union to piece together evidence. On Wednesday, owner Jerry Jones essentially confessed to 105.3 the Fan in Dallas that the Cowboys like to cut out the middleman whenever and however they can.

“[T]hat’s always been the issue with me and my approach to managing the Cowboys,” Jerry Jones said, via Jon Machota of TheAthletic.com. “When you cut out the people in between the money and the player, we all know that agents, attorneys have their agenda. By the way, they are all taking money out of the pie too when they’re there. The straighter it goes from the source to the one receiving it, nine times out of 10 that’s more efficient.”

Ten times out of 10 that’s better for the team, which would love to be able to run roughshod over players who don’t have agents protecting their interests. And it surely seems as if the Cowboys routinely go straight to the player to get deals done.

Consider this comment from Cowboys COO Stephen Jones at the camp-opening press conference regarding the team’s ability to work out a deal with defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence: “We sat there forever and then all of a sudden, we had a good little visit with DeMarcus and things happened like quickly. Inside of like 24 hours you’re home.”

That’s likely one of the reasons why running back Ezekiel Elliott is holding out. If he’s not in camp, the Joneses can’t put the squeeze on him. And they have no choice but to deal with his agent, Rocky Arceneaux.

Which they’d rather not do. Which is the best evidence of the value of having a good agent. And perhaps conclusive evidence that the Cowboys are taking liberties that the NFLPA will be compelled to challenge.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/28/nflpa-looking-into-cowboys-direct-dealing-with-players/

9 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Jerry gonna be fined? Meh

Should be interesting to see how Dak looks without Zeke if Zeke doesnt sign. Guessing better with Amare Cooper/Gallup/Tyron Smith than he did during the Zeke suspension. Tyrons backup Chaz Green was horrific.

I’ll say it till I’m blue in the face. That was a bigger factor for Dak looking bad in 2017 than Zeke being out. It ruined him for the rest of the season. 

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ll say it till I’m blue in the face. That was a bigger factor for Dak looking bad in 2017 than Zeke being out. It ruined him for the rest of the season. 

a $30MM quarterback would have just gotten the ball out a little sooner, rather than spray fart diarrhea all over the goddamn field.  dak is terrible. 

There's no way Faulk at least and most likely Dickerson aren't getting compensation from their agent Rocky for trashing Dak/Jaylon and building up Zeke. That's sorry ass chicken shit for Zeke to let his agent tear down his teammates to try to make him look better. Zeke knows  what's going on. That's a fireable offense if someone representing me does that shit and I haven't given permission.  

Have to think Dak and Jaylon are pissed. 

This is getting ridiculous. Our offense won't be nearly as good without him, but at this point he could just as easily become a locker room cancer that counters his contribution to the offense. Sucks that this felt like a possible year to finally make a run, and maybe we still can without him, but if he's not signed by the end of this week, fuck him. Move the fuck on without him.

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This is getting ridiculous. Our offense won't be nearly as good without him, but at this point he could just as easily become a locker room cancer that counters his contribution to the offense. Sucks that this felt like a possible year to finally make a run, and maybe we still can without him, but if he's not signed by the end of this week, fuck him. Move the fuck on without him.

Yeah, no. If he wants to come back in week 6, let him apologize to his teammates, kiss, makeup, and not run him into the ground like we were going to regardless of whether he holds out 

What sucks is that the following argument is generally true.

Star player on the Dallas Cowboys total earning potential>Same star player’s total earning potential on just about any other team in the league.

Unfortunately Zeke has been involved in enough swirl (bullshit or not) that the same does not hold true for him. He’s never going to make big money off endorsements etc no matter what he or the team does on the field because his general image is that of an out and out asshole at worst and a bit of an immature dipshit at best.

His camp knows this and he’s going to hold for the contract because that’s the only way he gets paid.

It’s amazing how much besides just the W or L is going to be riding on these first few games because I don’t see it resolving at this point until those data points are in.

35 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yeah, no. If he wants to come back in week 6, let him apologize to his teammates, kiss, makeup, and not run him into the ground like we were going to regardless of whether he holds out 

I know. I'm just sick of this shit. I'll say it again, Jerry ain't cheap, so this is pure bitchassedness from Zeke.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TornACL said:

DeMarco Murray his ass and give him 1000 carries over the next 2 years and then tell him to get fucked. 

I say do the opposite. If he comes back platoon his ass with Pollard the way running back corps should be handled in the NFL these days. Nobody should be trying to force feed a workhorse back a ton of carries anymore

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Locker room cancer because of contracts negotiations? False. Players don't get in the middle of that shit nor care. The only people pushing that narrative is people trying to spin this towards the front office and making Zeke seem like the bad guy.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Locker room cancer because of contracts negotiations? False. Players don't get in the middle of that shit nor care. The only people pushing that narrative is people trying to spin this towards the front office and making Zeke seem like the bad guy.

So Zeke’s agents are paid by Valley Ranch, yet here we are at this impasse?

weird.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

When you allow your agent to have his other clients call your QB (who needs a contract) a "bum" and say the team made a big mistake signing your LB teammate they just signed that tends to piss those teammates off. if that hadn't happened and it was just straight hold out contract stuff then it wouldn't be an issue, but once he had Rocky or allowed Rocky to start bad-mouthing his teammates then it's an issue. 

This goes without saying, but certain guys just have a longer leash with coaches and with their teammates. If Zeke comes back and he’s productive and in shape, nobody is going to give a flying fuck. As soon as something like this happens and his production slips (ala Dez) that’s when it becomes a cancer 

I also think Jaylen Smith is a one of a kind dude/teammate. I don’t think something like this would phase him at all. To a certain extent I feel that way about Dak, but especially Jaylen.

Edited by youdunnf'dup