Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

You have to let quality players leave and replace them with cheap draft picks. They hit big on the 2016 draft but now those guys are coming due and they will have to let some go and replace them with picks or else they'll end up way too top heavy. Also, I think Jaylon has a bit of a nagging injury plagued season this year as he logged a ton of snaps and contact last year after never playing anywhere near that many games in a season before. His body might not be able to handle another 16+ at that level. I do expect he'll still be solid though and bounce back. 

On the contract by signing him a year early does the signing bonus spread also to this season or is it just on seasons in the contract years? 

You have to let good players go before they get too old, not before that.  If they start paying 29-30 year olds 4-5 year deals, THEN you have a point.  But paying a 25 year old or whatever Jaylon is, and the other big names guy who are that age or even younger(Zeke), then it doesn't hurt.  You just keep drafting your ass off and let the mediocre players go. 

That's why they didn't resign Cole Beasley, or Anthony Hitchens. And next year Lee and Witten will probably be gone, and that's even more money off the cap.

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I agree.  The NFL doesn't seem to be able to control themselves when it comes to QBs.  Yes it's the most important position but with a hard cap you have to have some self control.  Brady takes less than market value for that exact reason.  He'd rather win than be the highest paid.  He's the only one out there doing that though. 

That and Kraft pays him through side business deals. 

So I’m seeing the Cowboys beat writers saying that the deal is actually stating after the next 2 years? So they have him for the last 2 years of his rookie deal and restricted year and THEN 5 more years. Wow. Just crazy for both parties.

Also, that also proved the (wasted his rookie deal by picking him 3 years ago) wasn’t the case at all. They still got him for 2 more years very cheap. And then for 5 more at a reasonable price. He’ll be underpaid in 2 years if not sooner imo.

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

So I’m seeing the Cowboys beat writers saying that the deal is actually stating after the next 2 years? So they have him for the last 2 years of his rookie deal and restricted year and THEN 5 more years. Wow. Just crazy for both parties.

Also, that also proved the (wasted his rookie deal by picking him 3 years ago) wasn’t the case at all. They still got him for 2 more years very cheap. And then for 5 more at a reasonable price. He’ll be underpaid in 2 years if not sooner imo.

Yep.  This year, next year (his restricted free agent year due to the missed injury “redshirt year”) and then a 5 year extension.  They can spread the signing bonus a few different ways (like they’ve repeatedly done with Tyron) and they get a good one for his career more or less. 

You have to let quality players leave and replace them with cheap draft picks.

Let great players go. Replace with draft picks. You shouldn't be a GM. Random draft picks always replace great, oh, excuse me, quality players. Cut 8 guys because the new 8 22 year olds are better.

Christ.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Drew said:

Vic me and you have surprisingly been on the same page all offseason, but not here.  The running game was perfectly fine in 2015. McFadden got over 1,000 yards, and even Randle was quality for a few games. The simple fact was that there was absolutely SHIT at QB, and the Receiving options were Slow Witten, declining Dez, and Terrance Williams...oh and a good move the chains guy in Cole.

As Randy Galloway would say "watch the games". Stats are on paper and are not all created equally. McFadden has zero impact with his game. Neither did Randle or whomever else was running that year. Not every yard is equal. So many drives stalled because McFadden failed to pick up short yardage. Zeke and Murray turned short losses into gains. They turned big losses into no gains. McFadden and company could not do that at all. They didn't have the ability to set the tone on offense like Zeke and Murray. Why do you think Jerry and them drafted Zeke in the 4th pick? Because they admitted they were wrong. And they knew they could not survive with another RB by committee. People need to quit looking to what other teams do with that position. We aren't other teams. We might be the only offense who depends on a bell cow RB to set the tone and are so handcuffed by him for our success.

I'd much rather have an offense where we can have a committee and use that money for more important positions but we have what we have. And we need Zeke. Pollard/Morris are nothing more than change of pace backs. If you feature them in this offense, we are in big trouble. Now, feature them in an offense like the Patriots, they will be just fine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Let great players go. Replace with draft picks. You shouldn't be a GM. Random draft picks always replace great, oh, excuse me, quality players. Cut 8 guys because the new 8 22 year olds are better.

Christ.

With a hard salary cap you have to do it. With the signings that they're looking at, and especially if they sign Zeke, they won't be able to sign guys like Byron Jones, Malik Collins, and Robert Quinn if he comes back after suspension and has a good year. They will command far too much in salary to be able to get them all signed so that's why you have to draft extremely well to replace guys you can't keep. 

that's why the Patriots are always either trading or letting go guys at the end of rookie deals then replacing them through draft picks that they get on new rookie deals. If the Cowboys sign Zeke and with his new Jaylon Smith signing they will have about eight players taking up roughly 110 to 120 or so million dollars in salary cap. The rest of the roster will have to be either garbage retread veterans on cheap deals or draft picks on rookie deals, and if you want to be a good team it'll have to be mostly draft picks with a ton of upside on rookie deals. 

It's good he was able to get it back but the problem with the pick is they only got one good season out of 2nd round pick's rookie deal. Now that's better than busting on the pick, but it's worse than getting 3-4 good cheap rookie deal seasons out of the pick. In this cap world it's all about talent on rookie deals. The teams that consistently rack up the most of those are the teams that will win. 

You misspelled “I was wrong about Jaylon”
  • Like 1

Team Jerry on this one. We all know Jerry, if anything, overpays. I’m pretty sure whatever he’s offered is more than fair. And I get Jerry’s frustration that it was an obvious joke and they go and act like it’s some insult. Especially after Jerry went at Goodell for Zeke and Zeke still is getting in trouble like a fucking moron. Fuck Zeke at this point. I’m way beyond having to like the players on my favorite team but if he doesn’t suit up week one let him fucking go. Let some other owner overpay and deal with his shit. And as talented as he is the oline has been a big part of his gaudy stats. He’ll be less successful at most other teams.

• Like 1

Zeke makes bad decisions.  It is who he is.  I was very leery about signing him to a long term deal because he could torpedo his career at any moment with some stupid off the field shit.  You can't build your team around that.  I hope he continues to piss Jerry off.

I don't mind Smith being extended as long as he doesn't blow out his other knee and become a salary albatross. But it's sure not going ot make Vandersloot any happier, so the Cowboys will have to back up the truck for him sooner than later. Then you have a disproportionate amount of salary wrapped up in 4-3 linebackers (not pass rushing 3-4 OLBs), a position that generally ranks among the more modestly paid. They are going to have to prove they aren't just having big years and will be special players for a long time to justify that. I'd like to see at least two years of Pro Bowl type production before taking a leap like that.

Edited by DougO

7 minutes ago, DougO said:

I don't mind Smith being extended as long as he doesn't blow out his other knee and become a salary albatross. But it's sure not going ot make Vandersloot any happier, so the Cowboys will have to back up the truck for him sooner than later. Then you have a disproportionate amount of salary wrapped up in 4-3 linebackers (not pass rushing 3-4 OLBs), a position that generally ranks among the more modestly paid. They are going to have to prove they aren't just having big years and will be special players for a long time to justify that. I'd like to see at least two years of Pro Bowl type production before taking a leap like that.

Yeah, they have LVE for 4 more years on his rookie deal.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DougO said:

Right. When he's the leading tackler and defensive leader over Smith he's not going to be happy being so cheap.

Then he should boycott the CBA, because he has no choice in the matter.  He can rabble rouse after year 3 or year 4 and get a deal just like Jaylon (with a little more $$ tacked on).  

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Then he should boycott the CBA, because he has no choice in the matter.  He can rabble rouse after year 3 or year 4 and get a deal just like Jaylon (with a little more $$ tacked on).  

Players do boycott the CBA. It's called "holding out." It's what they do when they become superstars but still getting paid bargain basement prices.

Rookie deals need to be scaled back to 3 years. 4 and 5 is too long for this league to play on a rookie deal. I don't blame them at all for holding out. Even after 3 years. Zeke has well outplayed that contract. Dak has, too but he is not as urgent because he plays the most important position by far and he knows he will get paid very soon. Zeke knows his position and what the league thinks of it today. Although, Dallas thinks very highly of the RB. They used a 4th pick on him and tied up tons of money in the OL for that reason. Just fucking pay him and move on. They didn't draft him that high to kick him to the curb that quickly. He's also the cheapest deal out of the big players remaining that will be done.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Zeke makes bad decisions.  It is who he is.  I was very leery about signing him to a long term deal because he could torpedo his career at any moment with some stupid off the field shit.  You can't build your team around that.  I hope he continues to piss Jerry off.

Torpedo his career? Lmao. You mean pulling up a woman's shirt or a security guard falling over? Those are the only 2 incidents he has had. Oh wait, there was that speeding ticket.

But yeah, let's keep exaggerating about how out of control Zeke is and how any minute he could self destruct.

Zeke may not self destruct, but he clearly is an idiot. The stupid stunts he pulls puts his playing availability at risk, and that should reflect on his bottom line. He seems to be incapable of learning from his past mistakes.

Edited by DougO

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Torpedo his career? Lmao. You mean pulling up a woman's shirt or a security guard falling over? Those are the only 2 incidents he has had. Oh wait, there was that speeding ticket.

But yeah, let's keep exaggerating about how out of control Zeke is and how any minute he could self destruct.

Well there was that episode where a pseudo celebrity DJ got knocked out in front of a club.

If you're going to advocate for signing Zeke, stick to his productivity on the field. The guy is a 24 karat retard who makes terrible decisions and the concern about him self destructing is perfectly reasonable. Christ, you're arguing how valuable he is because the team only went 3-3 while he was suspended.under the personal conduct policy.

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah, stumbling around stoned out of his mind at music festival was really fucking smart.   He's going to keep having these incidents until one of them is serious enough to get him a long suspension. 

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, DougO said:

But it's sure not going ot make Vandersloot any happier, so the Cowboys will have to back up the truck for him sooner than later.

don’t be fatuous, doug.  we have vanderesch under control through 2022 on his rookie deal and he’s not gonna give us shit about it because he’s a humble, hardworking kid.  he is absolutely  the least of our problems. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

But it is so easy to not do those things knowing your under a microscope, whether its fair or not. But more relevant to this conversation is that Jerry stood by Zeke through all of it and even criticized the commie Goodell. And now Zeke is acting butthurt over a fucking joke in response to his unreasonable demands and refusal to help the team prepare for a very important season. Fuck Zeke, if he holds out into the season, he can literally go fuck himself. For all of Jerry's faults, being cheap with stars isn't one of them.

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Cowboys aren’t winning shit without Zeke. Might not with him either so maybe it doesn’t matter. But if you want a chance stop making fucking jokes jerking off and get it done Jerry. Wtf

hey, listen, he’s earned the right to joke about zeke.  make no mistake, he’s earned that right. 

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

hey, listen, he’s earned the right to joke about zeke.  make no mistake, he’s earned that right. 

Sarcasm meter not broken. Jerry’s earned jackshit. Y’all know who has earned it? The one bashing skulls carrying your offense and bar none the best player in the league. Zeke has his faults but he’s a dog. You’d have to be a senile old man to let your ego fuck this one up.

15 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Sarcasm meter not broken. Jerry’s earned jackshit. Y’all know who has earned it? The one bashing skulls carrying your offense and bar none the best player in the league. Zeke has his faults but he’s a dog. You’d have to be a senile old man to let your ego fuck this one up.

so what should he do?  give zeke $60MM guaranteed?

Players do boycott the CBA. It's called "holding out." It's what they do when they become superstars but still getting paid bargain basement prices.

I know it sounds silly, but I wish owners could hold out on paychecks because players aren't playing to the current salary potential and get a new deal.

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

so what should he do?  give zeke $60MM guaranteed?

To start he should stfu and negotiate. But it’s Jerry so that’s never gonna happen. Pay the best player in the league like he’s the best player in the league. There is no way around that. What else are you going to do with the money? Who is more worthy of it than Zeke? You have a small chance to win a Super Bowl with Zeke. You have zero chance without him.

• Like 1

Just now, Dropout said:

To start he should stfu and negotiate. But it’s Jerry so that’s never gonna happen. Pay the best player in the league like he’s the best player in the league. There is no way around that. What else are you going to do with the money? Who is more worthy of it than Zeke? You have a small chance to win a Super Bowl with Zeke. You have zero chance without him.

he is negotiating.  what is zeke worth?  give me a number.  because if you give zeke and dak what they want, with the contracts we already have, then we lose amari cooper and 75% of the roster will be XFL castoffs and we’re not winning anything, much less a super bowl. 

he is negotiating.  what is zeke worth?  give me a number.  because if you give zeke and dak what they want, with the contracts we already have, then we lose amari cooper and 75% of the roster will be XFL castoffs and we’re not winning anything, much less a super bowl. 
False. They can afford all 3 of them easily.

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

He’s getting cute making jokes and negotiating through the media. Negotiate w Zeke and his agent. The benchmark is Gurley. 4 years 60M and what 40M guaranteed. Pay Zeke first and figure out the rest. And lol at xfl castoffs. You draft well and fill out your roster w bargain NFL players.