Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

On 5/31/2019 at 5:12 AM, SurlyBDR said:

I am curious to see what he looks like when the pads come on. Ran a 4.52 at the combine but apparently he was sick or something along those lines. It surprised a lot of people. His 4.38 at his pro day was closer to what people were expecting. And the running back he was splitting time with, Darrell Henderson, got drafted number 70 overall. Kellen Moore was his biggest fan apparently, but we’ll see if that means a god damn thing lol. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Even if he is it's his first year ever calling plays and he could have a period of time where he sucks while he gets acclimated. Also his only backup if this happens is Garrett's shitty play calling. 

This is exactly where I’m at, and what I’m worried about for next year. I have no doubt in my mind that some point in Kellen Moore’s life, he will be an outstanding OC and playcaller. Coaches son, overachiever at every level based on his skill set. But it would make perfect sense if he struggled out the gate. If he does, hopefully he can get it out of his system during the soft opening part of our schedule.

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Well I heard we ran a successful rub route in practice the other day.  Cant remember us using those last year.  

That’s the type of shit that gives guys like Goff a big head start. So many teams have perfected that. It’s unguardable unless you know it’s coming, especially if it’s run the right way. You don’t have to touch them at all. Just run your route. I really hope we can implement some of that stuff into our offense because we tend to fuck it up every time we try.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Jaylon Smith got his degree over this spring

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/06/02/instead-immersing-cowboys-offseason-plan-after-playoff-loss-jaylon-smith-kept-promise-mother?f=r

FRISCO -- Jaylon Smith had a choice. He could immerse himself in the Cowboys offseason program, soak in the sometimes profane wisdom of defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, or wrestle with Descartes.

He could dive back into his playbook or study the murals of Diego Rivera and David Siqueiros.

Smith is passionate about football. But he chose to honor a promise made to his mother, Sophia, that once his NFL career was underway he would return to Notre Dame to finish his degree. He made good on that promise a little more than two weeks ago.

The nerves he felt as he walked the stage compare to what he experiences in the moments before he takes the field for the Cowboys.

"I was shocked to be nervous as my name was being called,'' the linebacker said. "Standing in line to go up on the stage, I felt nerves, but I told myself to just embrace it.

"I've done that for the past three years I've been here. I've embraced everything I've been through.

"It's a blessing.''

Smith isn't the first professional athlete to return to college to pick up a degree.

There have been 17 football players from Notre Dame declare for the NFL draft after their junior years since the rule went into effect in 1989. Smith is the fifth to return to graduate.

"I value education so much,'' he said. "On a life end, on a business end, knowledge is power. There is so much strength in being educated. I needed to live it out myself.

"I learned a lot.''

Smith is back at The Star. He took part in organized team activities last week and will do so again this week.

These workouts are voluntary. Smith didn't need permission to miss the sessions to complete his degree in film, television and theater. But he went to head coach Jason Garrett in the hours after the Cowboys were eliminated by the LA Rams in the playoffs in January to inform him of his intentions.

Garrett's response?

"I said congratulations,'' Garrett recounted. "That's fantastic.

"You know that's part of our job. We're trying to help develop players. We're also trying to help develop men. And he's a young man who had a great opportunity to finish his degree at one of the great universities on the planet and we encouraged him to do it.''

The course load wasn't light. Among the 21 hours he took were classes in critical pedagogy, Latino studies, Latino muralism and introduction to poetry.

Philosophy of human nature was his most difficult course.

"It really challenges you to think,'' Smith said. "You had to take your perspective out of the box and really understand what these authors were arguing in their claims, then to be able to reiterate that to the professor.

"He [the professor] was a smart dude. He didn't take a lot of [expletive].''

Let's just say it's a word Socrates probably used back in the day.

And Marinelli uses now.

Smith's perspective and approach to school was different than it was three years ago. He didn't go to class for the grade. He found himself more interested in what the professors had to teach. He wanted to learn.

Determination and discipline. Those are qualities the Cowboys saw in Smith's return from a devastating knee injury that erased one year of his career. He applied that to his studies this spring and his drive to stay in shape while he was away from his teammates.

Garrett said it's impressive that Smith has been able to slip back into practice "and not skip a beat'' after his time away.

"I'm very strategic in allocating my time to study then to work out and massage and watch games from last year to learn from my mistakes,'' Smith said. "It was definitely a busy load.

"But I'm back now and I'm happy to be here.''

As Smith walked across the stage last month he saw tears of joy stream down the face of his mother and father. He thought about all of the teachers, tutors and mentors that instilled in him the desire to learn and was thankful.

What's next on his agenda?

"You know I have an agenda, right,'' Smith said. "The ultimate goal here is the Super Bowl. We've got to take it day by day. We've got a great team, some great guys and we've got to build our culture.

"It starts right now.''

Football is once again the focus. But it's not Smith's sole interest.

Even before Smith returned to Notre Dame you would hear him talk about his education in football and business. He's intrigued by real estate development. He wants to be an entrepreneur and intends to pick up a masters at some point.

Smith didn't bring his diploma back to Dallas. He's letting his mother hold onto it for a little while. While he doesn't have children of his own, Smith knows the importance his graduation holds going forward.

"Whenever I'm blessed to have kids and share a moment like that for them, for them to understand, 'Dad, you didn't have to go back to school, but you wanted to be more than just a great football player,''' Smith said.

"It's my purpose beyond athletics.''

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s the type of shit that gives guys like Goff a big head start. So many teams have perfected that. It’s unguardable unless you know it’s coming, especially if it’s run the right way. You don’t have to touch them at all. Just run your route. I really hope we can implement some of that stuff into our offense because we tend to fuck it up every time we try.

He's also moving the line around more.  It just shows that Linehan's scheme had gotten stale.  

• I believe this is by design, but I have noticed a lot of movement with this offensive line when it comes to the way Kellen Moore is calling plays. You see a lot of counters, screens and fold blocks. Moore is attempting to use the athletic ability of his linemen in order to create some favorable matchups for the scheme. I lost track of the number of plays where there was someone on the move and working in space.
  • https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-notebook-rookies-to-know-from-week-2

"Just lineup and beat your man straight-up. That's the key to football. Deceit and tricks are tools of the Great Deceiver and should never be part of a gameplan.

We are so fortunate to be playing this game. I challenge every man in our locker room to clap his best every day of the year."

Jason Garrett & Scott Linehan

a look at Kellen Moore and what his offense is looking like (hint: Boise St.). It will be interesting to see some shades of the Harsin UT years in the Cowboys offense this year.

click the link for lots of images and videos

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams-nfl/nfc-east/dallas-cowboys/2019/05/30/kellen-moores-simplified-confusion-formations-motion-and-numbers/

“He’s got a beautiful mind.” That’s what former NFL QB and first-year QB coach Jon Kitna said about new Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore.

The decision to promote Moore from QB coach to offensive coordinator had people outside of the organization scratching their heads at first. Moore has just one year of coaching experience and is only two years removed from backing up Dak Prescott. But the Cowboys’ new offensive coordinator has garnered a lot of support inside the team’s building since being promoted.

Prescott had this to say about Moore on 105.3 FM The Fan, “He’s honestly one of these young genius phenoms in the game. He’s special. He knows a lot about the game, just the way he sees the game, the way he’s ahead of the game. He can bring a lot to us, a lot of creativity.”

There been many similar comments from Cowboys players and staff about not only Moore’s football acumen, but also his ability to lead, organize, and communicate. These skills will lead to making a successful game plan actionable. 

To be successful, Moore will have to focus on cleaning up play sequencing, creativity, and red zone effectiveness in 2019.

Back to Boise

I studied Moore’s interviews this off-season, his pre-draft meeting at Jon Gruden’s QB Camp in 2012, and the system he played in at Boise State to piece together an idea of how the Cowboys offense may look this season.

Our whole goal from an outside perspective is to make it look as confusing as possible. And at the end of the day it’s pretty simple for us. It’s a lot of the same concepts, it’s a lot of ways of doing the same things.

Moore describing the Boise State offense

Moore possessed a high command of Chris Petersen’s offense that featured an array of formations, shifts, and motions.

Presenting multiple looks to the defense is going to be apart of Moore’s philosophy next season according to what he’s expressed during rookie minicamp.

We have guys that can kind of line up in a lot of different places. Hopefully we can be multiple and present things in different ways, and at the end of the day still have our foundation and our philosophy. You can run similar plays, just out of a lot of different looks. 

Moore during rookie minicamp

Moore plans on using the full range of versatility that his personnel possesses to the best of their abilities. Having scheme-transcendent players like Amari Cooper and Ezekiel Elliott should make play calling easier for Moore, as they shined in spite of Scott Linehan’s stale system. And Moore can get creative with versatile players like Randall Cobb, Tavon Austin, and rookie Tony Pollard, manipulating their alignments and role within the offense.

Motion for Success

One way Moore can be creative is through the use of pre-snap motion. Dallas used pre-snap motion on 31% of their offensive plays in 2018 per Sports Info Solutions. That figure ranked 24th in the NFL and below the NFL average of 36.6%. But despite not using pre-snap motion all that much relative to the league, the Cowboys had a lot of success when using it.

A play the Cowboys routinely called the last few seasons was their Jet Sweep Screen. Prescott would signal to motion either the slot or outside receiver from the play side across the formation prior to the snap. In this example it’s Cole Beasley motioning from the outside. The cornerback follows Beasley across the field, signaling Detroit is playing man coverage.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Yet in that 5-month period, rarely has the Surly mob let Poster X slide after making comparative suggestions between future Hall of Famers and Dak. Poster X is this case is Drew, and the mob largely let him slide because it’s focused on the anti-Dak crowd. 

Dak is probably at the bottom of the top half of QBs, or at the top of the bottom half of QBs in the league. He’s clearly above any historical Dallas QB not named Staubach, Aikman, Meredith, Romo and White. He’s serviceable and growing. But he’s still middling for this league. He’s not Goff and he’s not Wentz. Maybe he will get there, but relative to Goff I doubt it. 

Anyway, this thread has turned into Cowboy homer at its worst with the Dak comparisons. 

This post makes absolutely no sense, and that's not surprising considering who posted it.  You obviously misunderstand what comparisons are, how the work, and what the ACTUAL comparison was.

Saying even Rodgers and Brees, 2 ALL TIME GREATS, rarely reach the SB is NOT comparing Dak to them in talent or career. It's a fucking anecdote you clown.. You're out here acting like since he hasn't taken them deep in the playoffs by his 3rd year, he's obviously a horrible QB, and my point is that there are many GREAT QB's who have never even made the SB, or did it only once(Dan Marino/Rodgers), while Mediocre QB's have gone to and even won it(Foles, Eli, Brad Johnson, Dilfer, ect…) sometimes multiple times.

Besides that, the reason you're getting blasted and I'm not isn't because of some ridiculous comparison between Dak and HOFers I never made, it's because you're a shit poster, and always have been.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah, both were Pro Bowlers and were the only two of four QBs that threw for 4,700 yards that led their teams to the playoffs.  But no, Dak is better than Goff.

Dak defenders aren't realists and make guys like me sound anti-Dak.  I'm not.  I like Dak and love him as a person and leader.  He's middling, though.  He's somewhere in the teens in any QB ranking.

No, Dak Haters are the most unrealistic, and every time you post you prove it more and more.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, futureman said:

and on the other side, mike white will be there. 

Dude's on the Bubble to be cut, LMFAO!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I would be shocked if mike white got cut. Cooper rush would have to be a lot better than mike white for us to just give up on a 5th rd pick from last year. But if Rush plays as well as he did, 2 preseasons ago, it’ll be interesting to see if White can match that.

cooper is gone, he just needs to focus on what team is going to pick him up.  dak needs to be worried.  white is the right man for the job. 

16 hours ago, futureman said:

cooper is gone, he just needs to focus on what team is going to pick him up.  dak needs to be worried.  white is the right man for the job. 

So far this spring, White has taken second-team reps behind Prescott in two open OTA practices. He’s competing with third-year pro Cooper Rush for the backup job.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

I can handle the shrapnel until white’s inevitable takeover of the starting job.  I won’t gloat when it happens because I have grace and class, unlike most of you pricks.  

I thought gloating was a key component of grace and class.  Muh bad.

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

I can handle the shrapnel until white’s inevitable takeover of the starting job.  I won’t gloat when it happens because I have grace and class, unlike most of you pricks.  

If Mike White becomes the starter for Dallas' XFL team, will you claim victory on a technicality?

Free agent DT Muhammad Wilkerson was arrested for drunk driving early Saturday morning in Washington Heights, New York.

Wilkerson was pulled over for running a stop sign around 3:40 AM. He later failed a sobriety test, registering a .09 blood alcohol level, slightly over the state's legal limit of .08. Coming off an injury-ruined season in Green Bay, this won't help the 29-year-old's job prospects.

Potential Cowboys target? He's getting cheaper and fitting the profile.

19 hours ago, futureman said:

drew, will you eat your crow or not?

when the time comes.  I hope you’re  man (or woman?) of honor. 

Always have when proven wrong.

Listening to all the podcasts and reading the guys on the Athletics, they don't think either Rush or White is long for the team.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’m not the person that normally wears a jersey, and puts another man’s name on my back, but I will purchase and wear a mike White jersey if he’s our clear starting qb at any point in his career. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m not the person that normally wears a jersey, and puts another man’s name on my back, but I will purchase and wear a mike White jersey if he’s our clear starting qb at any point in his career. 

Pshh, I will tattoo his name and likeness on my face

• Like 1

Is all this shit going on with Gurley scaring anyone else? It's basically proving how stupid it can be to pay a RB. It really is shocking that Zeke hasn't dealt with some type of bullshit (knock on wood). 

stephen isn’t paying zeke, no way no how.  maybe a franchise year depending on how he looks in 2020. 

Is all this shit going on with Gurley scaring anyone else? It's basically proving how stupid it can be to pay a RB. It really is shocking that Zeke hasn't dealt with some type of bullshit (knock on wood). 

I wouldn't pay him. I'd franchise him once and let him walk for the compensation pick. To me that's the obvious good play. If he wants to sit like Bell then let him sit and if someone gives you a 1 or 2 trade him. If not just let him sit then get the comp pick once he leaves. 

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The inevitability of it all is amusing in a dark tragedy type of way.  He's a fantastic player but RBs planned obsolesce is so very, very brief these days... Kareem Hunt may be available in a couple of years.

I bet they extend Zeke, mainly because he can single-handedly fuck us the next 2 years by getting fat and sitting out OTAs/camp etc...

Once a guy like him becomes a problem, it can fuck up the whole team dynamic. He's always played through injuries and left everything on the field, but that could change if he doesn't feel valued by getting an extension. Only hope is he understands that he needs to grow up and stay out of trouble for a few years before getting extended, which is very doubtful.  

1 hour ago, futureman said:

stephen isn’t paying zeke, no way no how.  maybe a franchise year depending on how he looks in 2020. 

Most teams wouldn't use their highest draft pick in the last 30 years on a player they don't plan to have past his first contract. Of course this begs the question as to why any team would waste their highest draft pick in 30 years on an RB. Then again we're talking about the Cowboys and they've already proven that they don't follow any sort of logical reasoning when mapping out decisions of this sort. So I fully expect them to do what you suggest. 

7 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Most teams wouldn't use their highest draft pick in the last 30 years on a player they don't plan to have past his first contract. Of course this begs the question as to why any team would waste their highest draft pick in 30 years on an RB. Then again we're talking about the Cowboys and they've already proven that they don't follow any sort of logical reasoning when mapping out decisions of this sort. So I fully expect them to do what you suggest. 

amari cooper is getting zeke’s money. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DougO said:

Free agent DT Muhammad Wilkerson was arrested for drunk driving early Saturday morning in Washington Heights, New York.

Wilkerson was pulled over for running a stop sign around 3:40 AM. He later failed a sobriety test, registering a .09 blood alcohol level, slightly over the state's legal limit of .08. Coming off an injury-ruined season in Green Bay, this won't help the 29-year-old's job prospects.

Potential Cowboys target? He's getting cheaper and fitting the profile.

Not drunk enough. Didn't kill anyone. Doesn't fit the Cowboys profile. 

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I will get Mike White jersey if he ever gets a start over Dak Prescott (not including an injury related start) if yall get a Dak Prescott jersey when he gets us to the NFC title game 

a) it’s not “y’all”, I’m on an island here

2) so fucking great that your measure of dak’s success in winning some kind of bet doesn’t involve even playing in a super bowl.  unbelievable. 

d) I’ll take your stupid bet because dak will never win anything, ever. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

a) it’s not “y’all”, I’m on an island here

2) so fucking great that your measure of dak’s success in winning some kind of bet doesn’t involve even playing in a super bowl.  unbelievable. 

d) I’ll take your stupid bet because dak will never win anything, ever. 

Fuck it.  I’ll get a tattoo of Mike White in the same bet and you get one of Dak if he plays in a super bowl.  Same conditions, Dallas Cowboys only.  You wanna keep being a chicken fucker, I’m you’re huckleberry 

Edited by Trey3216

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Fuck it.  I’ll get a tattoo of Mike White in the same bet and you get one of Dak if he plays in a super bowl.  Same conditions, Dallas Cowboys only.  You wanna keep being a chicken fucker, I’m you’re huckleberry 

so even when doubling down you can’t see dak winning it all.  you know it in your heart but you can’t bring yourself to admit it: dak fucking sucks. 

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

so even when doubling down you can’t see dak winning it all.  you know it in your heart but you can’t bring yourself to admit it: dak fucking sucks. 

I guess Rivers sucks too. I guess Rodgers is a joke since he hasn’t been in 10 fucking years.  

How about this.  I think the cowboys are 20-1 to win the super bowl this year.  I will put $500 on it if you’ll pay me those odds.  

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I guess Rivers sucks too. I guess Rodgers is a joke since he hasn’t been in 10 fucking years.  

How about this.  I think the cowboys are 20-1 to win the super bowl this year.  I will put $500 on it if you’ll pay me those odds.  

free money...

Cowboys_Raiders_Football_71788-26b7a.jpg