Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That’s how you make a bet.  You pay me $10k, or I pay you 500

well I got you to ante up for your boy dak.  respect for putting your money where your mouth is.  but no thank you I don’t bet.  I just pick winning football players. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, futureman said:

well I got you to ante up for your boy dak.  respect for putting your money where your mouth is.  but no thank you I don’t bet.  I just pick winning football players. 

I didn’t say he was my boy either.  Was seeing what we needed to ante up to get some talk straightened out.  Seems we may be at Peak Offseason before training camp is a distant forethought.   

4 hours ago, futureman said:

Wager playing Russian roulette with that dumb mook. Come on, do it. 

Edited by Junior Miller

22 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Most teams wouldn't use their highest draft pick in the last 30 years on a player they don't plan to have past his first contract. Of course this begs the question as to why any team would waste their highest draft pick in 30 years on an RB. Then again we're talking about the Cowboys and they've already proven that they don't follow any sort of logical reasoning when mapping out decisions of this sort. So I fully expect them to do what you suggest. 

Good things the Cowboys haven't quite figured out this whole drafting thing...no wonder they've completely sucked for the last 5 or so years.

21 hours ago, futureman said:

a) it’s not “y’all”, I’m on an island here

2) so fucking great that your measure of dak’s success in winning some kind of bet doesn’t involve even playing in a super bowl.  unbelievable. 

d) I’ll take your stupid bet because dak will never win anything, ever. 

Like Division Titles and a playoff game?  I know you think the SB is the ONLY thing that matters, but once again there are only 2 teams that can make the SB every year, being shor tof that doesn't mean you suck.

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

61714222_2403787373050963_40961890884853

Okay, that's funny.

Just remember, you had a lot of fucking clowns in here say with a straight face they would take Jameis Winston over Dak during the Tampa game last season. And they have a love affair with Wentz, who hasn't did jack shit except get shown up by his backup 2 years in a row.

• Like 1

Winston is erratic as fuck.  He's got hella weapons in Tampa and still has been inconsistent as hell.

I don't remember those conversations... although neither choice is worth building a franchise around.

I’m far from a Winston defender, and definitely wouldn't take him over Dak, but it’ll be interesting to see what he does with Bruce Areans. Contrary to what a lot of people in this thread think, coaching matters in football. A lot. A lot more than the other major sports.  

Not saying I expect anything from him, but Bruce areans is widely regarded as one of the better offensive minds in the game. He clearly saw something

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Well one is, and has done nothing to prove otherwise, regardless of how the narrative on Shaggy has gone.

Pay that bitch and crumble your franchise around him.

That's the bottom fucking line.  Over pay Dak, and they will if they extend him; and it virtually guarantees Dallas mediocrity for another 6-8 years.

i've got time to see, but I'd rather the Cowboys didn't make that move.

They will.  because Jerry's fucking stupid with regard to football.

Wentz just signed his extension (4 years), what his numbers look like could inform a lot of what Dak's contract may look like.

Yep. What’s making me laugh is the Twitter outrage from fans/media saying that Dallas “dragged its feet” getting a Dak deal done and now it’s going to cost more.

These are mostly the same people who were saying they wouldn’t pay Dak this much in the first place and fail to realize that Dak has to agree to sign a deal too.

I bet his side was sending numbers like This to Dallas already, and they were justifiably countering.

Unless those people wanted him to be extended last year, back when almost everyone thought he couldn’t even play.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Yep. What’s making me laugh is the Twitter outrage from fans/media saying that Dallas “dragged its feet” getting a Dak deal done and now it’s going to cost more.

These are mostly the same people who were saying they wouldn’t pay Dak this much in the first place and fail to realize that Dak has to agree to sign a deal too.

I bet his side was sending numbers like This to Dallas already, and they were justifiably countering.

Unless those people wanted him to be extended last year, back when almost everyone thought he couldn’t even play.

Honestly, we did kind of fuck this up. This is how you’re supposed to do it. If you knew you were going to pay him, you want to do it before the contract year. We just did a shit job of giving Dak the right personnel to properly evaluate him. A run down beat up version of a former #1 wr that mentally still feels like he’s the same guy he was in 2013 (and demands the ball the same way). An old beat up Hall of Fame TE. Cole Beasley. And then don’t even get me started on what we went into the year with last year. The front office should be ashamed of themselves for even putting him in that position and expecting him to succeed. He has weapons now. There are no excuses. He should’ve had this by the start of year 2. As soon as you knew you had something. Just like Goff, Wentz, Mayfield, etc. The whole reason this thread is where it is right now is because the front office fucked this up

Edited by youdunnf'dup

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Honestly, we did kind of fuck this up. This is how you’re supposed to do it. If you knew you were going to pay him, you want to do it before the contract year. We just did a shit job of giving Dak the right personnel to properly evaluate him. A run down beat up version of a former #1 wr that mentally still feels like he’s the same guy he was in 2013 (and demands the ball the same way). An old beat up Hall of Fame TE. Cole Beasley. And then don’t even get me started on what we went into the year with last year. The front office should be ashamed of themselves for even putting him in that position and expecting him to succeed. He has weapons now. There are no excuses. He should’ve had this by the start of year 2. As soon as you knew you had something. Just like Goff, Wentz, Mayfield, etc. The whole reason this thread is where it is right now is because the front office fucked this up

Meh.  Dak is a 4th rounder so no 5th year option was available.  He still has his cheap 4th year for this year along with 2 franchise tags available.  He was very good his first year with a strong surrounding cast and hit a sophomore slump with almost nothing around him.  Hard to fault the front office for not wanting to sign a guy long-term after 2017's performance and also there is the cap ramifications.  I get wanting to get one of the rookie contract guys done this year and hopefully they get one.  Wentz as a first rounder had 2 more years because of the first round 5th year option not available to Dak.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

Username checks out

9 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I was more referring to not getting him weapons to evaluate him. Thinking Dez was still a top tier wr. Thinking written is a top tier TE. He should’ve had a guy like cooper going into year 2. That was my bigger point. 

tDvx0d.gif

• Like 2

18 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You can't plug every hole every time one develops. You have to prioritize your needs. That's the NFL these days.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:03 PM, C-Man said:

You can't plug every hole every time one develops. You have to prioritize your needs. That's the NFL these days.

The real reason we fucked this up was by letting this deal get done before Dak’s deal. I like Dak, but I’m not dumb enough to think he should get more than Wentz. But he might, because that’s how this shit works. And he’s proven to be more reliable than Wentz so far. I don’t know, I have a feeling this thing could get ugly now.

The real reason we fucked this up was by letting this deal get done before Dak’s deal. I like Dak, but I’m not dumb enough to think he should get more than Wentz. But he might, because that’s how this shit works. And he’s proven to be more reliable than Wentz so far. I don’t know, I have a feeling this thing could get ugly now.

Going to be interesting....from spotrac

050fdfee3d3c60db3a6fa4d980189e09.jpg5889321120ba11baa3949133800a304d.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, slorch said:

Pay that bitch and crumble your franchise around him.

That's the bottom fucking line.  Over pay Dak, and they will if they extend him; and it virtually guarantees Dallas mediocrity for another 6-8 years.

i've got time to see, but I'd rather the Cowboys didn't make that move.

They will.  because Jerry's fucking stupid with regard to football.

“Stupid with regard” is understating his mental handicap significantly 

18 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Jerry got lucky with Dak, he wont do it again. Maybe you enjoyed the Hutchinson, Quincy, and drew Henson days?

Maybe I enjoyed having a head coach didn’t have a perpetual fart smelling expression  on his face and a puddle of piss at his feet.

Nah... how selfish we are as fans to expect a coach that might threaten Jerry’s sensibilities.

Cole is a scorned woman. 

The Cowboys “didn’t value the slot position like they do here,” Beasley said. “That’s a big reason why I left. I want to be utilized to my strengths and have more opportunities to play football.

“I felt like it was easy for me to be taken away. Really, in that offense, all you had to do was bracket me because I went beyond 5 yards rarely. And when I did, it was from the same formation; I was in the same spot all the time.”

The Cowboys primarily mount a ground attack. Their offensive line features three All-Pros who’ve helped Ezekiel Elliott lead the NFL in rushing twice in his three seasons.

That’s what Linehan relied on. The Cowboys went 10-6 and reached the second round of the playoffs. But the Cowboys ranked 22nd in yards and points. They dismissed Linehan in January, two months before Beasley became a free agent.

“I’m just glad to be here,” Beasley said at One Bills Drive, “where it’s 100 percent about ball and not a show or a brand. It’s purer here. I’m proud to be part of something like that.”

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So %games played apparently is weighted the same as the actual skill ratings, and he gets his only positive value there because of two injuries to a set of 4 players. 

Ummm last time I checked, actually staying on the field means something yeah? Who gives a damn how talented you are if you aren't playing consistently. When Dak is on the field, he has outplayed the overrated QB for the Eagles more times than not. Wentz has yet to show he can be counted on at all.

And Dak plays in a franchise who handicaps him. He doesn't have a staff that caters to him and his strengths. 

We have wasted the rookie deals of Zeke and Dak. That is the time to win. Unless you are the Pats where they get away with making Brady paid like an average QB. Every other team will have to pay their QBs a lot of money if they are good.

And if you don't think Dak is any good, I don't take you seriously. It's not his fault this team failed to build around him when he was making less than a mill. This concept of taking it slow and building for the future is stupid in the NFL. You go all in when your top players are on rookie deals. Worry about the future later. Rams and Eagles did it and both got to Super Bowls when just years prior they were terrible. This isn't the MLB where you have long term plans. We ignored the short term and only focused on the long term. We made zero moves to improve our team immediately. Everyone was too expensive. And now look, Dak and Zeke are nearing the end of their deals. So is Jaylon. And the others will continue to come. We did this shit backwards. 

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

“I’m just glad to be here,” Beasley said at One Bills Drive, “where it’s 100 percent about ball and not a show or a brand. It’s purer here. I’m proud to be part of something like that.”

Says the wide receiver with a rap album. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Cole is a scorned woman. 

The Cowboys “didn’t value the slot position like they do here,” Beasley said. “That’s a big reason why I left. I want to be utilized to my strengths and have more opportunities to play football.

“I felt like it was easy for me to be taken away. Really, in that offense, all you had to do was bracket me because I went beyond 5 yards rarely. And when I did, it was from the same formation; I was in the same spot all the time.”

The Cowboys primarily mount a ground attack. Their offensive line features three All-Pros who’ve helped Ezekiel Elliott lead the NFL in rushing twice in his three seasons.

That’s what Linehan relied on. The Cowboys went 10-6 and reached the second round of the playoffs. But the Cowboys ranked 22nd in yards and points. They dismissed Linehan in January, two months before Beasley became a free agent.

I don't think he'll suddenly be great in Buffalo but really everything he said was right. Cowboys did run an extremely limited offense. They did limit his routes. They are all about brand and money over football. 

Cole is an example of what is going right with the Cowboys. No way they needed to sign that average talent to some big deal (which is the kind of dumb shit that used to happen)

Frankly he can go fuck himself. If he wasn’t a mediocrity he would answer bait questions about the Cowboys with “I play for Buffalo now why are we talking about Dallas?” Instead he’s a bitch who wants to stay relevant and he is smart enough to know you sure as shit don’t do that playing for and talking about fucking Buffalo.

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

He’s not wrong, but cole also needs to understand he’s pretty fucking limited in terms of his skill set. If injury history weren’t a factor, Cobb is a huge upgrade IMO. He can do so many more things

If injury weren't a factor, maybe Greg Oden would be in the pantheon of basketball greats...

8 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Cole is an example of what is going right with the Cowboys. No way they needed to sign that average talent to some big deal (which is the kind of dumb shit that used to happen)

Exactly how I feel about Dak.  But they will...and it's going to continually fuck the Cowboys.

This post is not about what Dak is worth, or if he’s worth more or less than Wentz.

What continues to be laughably clear is that EVERYONE on here and in the entire fan base will say how “limited the offense is/was”, how bad the coaching is, how piss poor the play calling was, how they never could make adjustments on offense, and on and on and on...

But half, or more, of those SAME people continue to say how bad Dak is and how he’s “proven” to be nothing but average or evens worse than that, and don’t give him ANY slack based on those same complaints about coaching.

They do the same thing with weapons. I see people say “wentz rookie year wasn’t good because he had no weapons, his team was hurt, etc...” yet won’t allow Dak that same excuse when players around him miss games or just suck.

Same people who give Goff a pass for how bad is rookie year was because Jeff Fucking Fisher is the worst coach ever...and think the same if Garrett/Linehan, won’t carry that over for Dak.

As a matter of fact, the simple fact that Dak has been SO successful in a limited offense, with limited coaching advantage, and what Most of you think is an idiotic front office who “wasted his rookie deal” should make you appreciate Dak MORE, not less.

God I wish we could have seen Dak with McVay in LA. He’s already been as good or better than Goff(even with a SB birth IMO), and you don’t think he could have at least done what Foles did in that Philly offense? It’s tailer made for Daks skill set.

Once again, regardless of what you think he’s “worth”. To continue to have so much hatred and bias against Dak after his first 3 years is absolutely ridiculous. Especially since his first 3 years statistically and wins wise is comparable to guys like Big Ben and Wilson. Yes they won a SB, but there isn’t one person who thinks either of those guys won those SBs on their own. Both had great running games AND elite defenses when they won those SBs(Dak hadn’t had an elite defense yet...the Rams game and lack of turnovers proved that), but apparently because you saw Dak over throw Gallup 2-3 times miss season(even when they obviously got on track later) you think “he’s not good enough”?

God I’m so glad you guys don’t make decisions.

• Like 4

QBs are overpaid, that's just the way it is. Dak has proven he's pretty good, not elite, but pretty darn good. Over the next few years he will either improve, stagnate, or fall off. If we are "smarter" than everyone else and let him walk, we will be again in the cycle of weak draftees and  washed-up veterans. Is that really what you guys want? With Dak we can make the playoffs and win, and there is still a good chance he improves and takes us further than we have in years. Maybe not, but he gives us a better chance than going back to the Testaverde/Drew Bledsoe experimental days. Unless you tank for a top 5 pick, drafting is a low odds crapshoot. Even top 5 picks are prone to bust anymore. I'd rather stay the course with a guy we know is pretty good and can get better than just throw in the town and say fuck it because the QB market sucks.

• Like 2

Drew why the fuck did you take the bait and make a tldr post. Jesus Christ, man lol. You aren’t changing anyone’s opinion on Dak. Your opinion on Dak isn’t changing. Feeding the troll(s) at this point. Just let them play the games so one side can be wrong. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup