Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I mean it's jus funny now.  I'd say the Coach(ing) is MUCH bigger issue.

All I'm saying is if "mouth breather" Eli(twice), Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, and MANY other QB's in their realm CAN win a SB, than at the very least, so could Dak.  He wouldn't even have to be THE reason it's won.  Teams have won the SB with average QB play many times.

lulz at comparing dak to quarterbacks who can actually survey a defense and consistently throw downfield.  they are actual quarterbacks.  dak is a fullback/h-back who happens to be touching the ball on every play. 

8 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
24 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
According to who? If he isn’t the best running back in the nfl, he’s top 3. His numbers would say he’s the best. Think about zeke’s body of work, even while including the suspension. Now think about how this team is currently constructed. Zeke can be an idiot off the field, but he’s not stupid. He knows the plan is to run him into the ground. He knows that we have no plans on paying him this year, or next year. He also knows that this team doesn’t get to where it wants to go if he isn’t on the field. If Zeke is actually willing to sit out regular season games, he has a ton of leverage. And it would be smart of him to do so. I don’t know that he will, but he has a lot more leverage than LeVeon Bell or Melvin Gordon, or any other running back that has enough clout to try something like this. If the plan is to just sit out training camp, fine. But hopefully that’s all it is.

Read more  

Zeke was a top 4 pick...he is on 24million dollar contract and 5th year option will be 9million more....33 million for first contract is very good for a rb...lets say they franchise him thats going to be approaching 48million before his FA deal...we can argue what he is worth but dont think you can argue the fact that he has been well paid

I’m not arguing that he hasn’t been paid well in comparison to other RBs. But other RBs don’t have as big an impact on their team. He’s guaranteed one more year on his deal, and it’s assumed that we would give him the 5th year option. But what if, hypothetically, he has some type of career altering injury. He’s past the point of proving he’s worth this contract. It wouldn’t be stupid for him to think about his situation longterm and say, “actually, no. I’m not gonna do this until y’all give me a 2nd contract. I’ve earned it.” 

Or maybe this is just code for “if y’all aren’t going to pay me I’m just going to sit out preseason. I have nothing to gain and nothing to prove. I’ll see y’all week 1 vs the giants.”

I’m not arguing that he hasn’t been paid well in comparison to other RBs. But other RBs don’t have as big an impact on their team. He’s guaranteed one more year on his deal, and it’s assumed that we would give him the 5th year option. But what if, hypothetically, he has some type of career altering injury. He’s past the point of proving he’s worth this contract. It wouldn’t be stupid for him to think about his situation longterm and say, “actually, no. I’m not gonna do this until y’all give me a 2nd contract. I’ve earned it.” 
Or maybe this is just code for “if y’all aren’t going to pay me I’m just going to sit out preseason. I have nothing to gain and nothing to prove. I’ll see y’all week 1 vs the giants.”
I think the injury argument would have a lot more credence next year...i think this year he wont sit out. You got drafted and your on your rookie deal;you need to finish that out before you get another deal. Yeah if you get hurt it sucks but thats football. They also gave you 24million before they even knew if you could play.

I don't blame Zeke for holding out considering the diminishing value placed on RBs and that he has the highest usage rate of any RB in NFL history for his first 3 years, but all of this and our upcoming dilemma of whether we will pay him is exhibit A of why it's completely stupid to ever draft an RB that high in the draft. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I think the injury argument would have a lot more credence next year...i think this year he wont sit out. You got drafted and your on your rookie deal;you need to finish that out before you get another deal. Yeah if you get hurt it sucks but thats football. They also gave you 24million before they even knew if you could play.
Didn't Odell get a new extension before his rookie deal was finished?

Zeke knows rbs are expendable. Their shelf life is short, even for great ones as he is. You knew him and his agent would do it.

Didn't Odell get a new extension before his rookie deal was finished?

Zeke knows rbs are expendable. Their shelf life is short, even for great ones as he is. You knew him and his agent would do it.
Nope...obj finished rookie deal but they got a deal done after 4th year withiut using 5th year option
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

hilarious 

Yeah I don't get how Dallas and Philly are the top 2 teams. Especially ahead of teams like KC and the Pats. I don't think I'd put either ahead of the Saints either. I'd put the Rams ahead of both, too.

Edited by Vic Mackey

Ok actually read the article about Zeke from Mike Florio and it's grade A bullshit. He has no evidence at all Zeke wants to holdout. He has not missed one single workout in the offseason yet. There is no basis for this and is typical Florio. Did he ever find that Dez tape he claimed to have? Fucking loser. Nothing but rumors for clicks in this dead time for the NFL. 

I'm guessing Madden team ratings are just a sum of their parts with no weight given to particular positions.  Otherwise I have no idea how Philly and Dallas got that high.
Yup....cowboys and eagles have solid def and offense.
KC had the worst defense last year and seems rams are getting a knock for gurley's knee

17 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

He can't sit out the preseason.  He can basically sit out the first couple of weeks of TC.  No one really gives a shit if he does this but it informs the Cowboys front office how he intends to proceed next summer and specifically if franchised two years from now.  This year... it's an empty threat.  He can't sit out longer than Aug 6th, a month before our opener.  He needs to get the accrued season or he'll never get to UFA.

The source said Elliott and his camp made plans to take this week to assess the options on the table before coming to a consensus before camp starts. The source added that options are basically broken into three tiers:

• Elliott sits out of camp and digs in for a prolonged holdout.

• Elliott sits out the start of camp but reports by Aug. 6, which would preserve his accrued fourth season and keep him on track for unrestricted free agency following his fifth season.

• Elliott reports for camp under his current deal and continues to press for an extension.

The details of those options matter, of course. A prolonged holdout would likely get nasty and force the Cowboys to consider other options in their backfield while potentially exposing Elliott to higher injury risk without the benefit of getting into football shape during camp practices. Conversely, if Elliott sits out and then reports by Aug. 6, the accrued fourth season of service would preserve his option to once again hold out next year without impacting his unrestricted free-agent status following the fifth year of his deal.

https://sports.yahoo.com/relations-between-ezekiel-elliott-cowboys-arent-strained-but-this-weeks-contract-talks-will-be-crucial-000902014.html

FWIW, Melvin Gordon has the same issue.  These are guys just making noise to try and let their teams understand the seriousness of their desire.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

Team 2018 Record Odds Chance to win Super Bowl

Patriots 11-5-0 AFC East +600 10.95%
Chiefs 12-4-0 AFC West +1000 6.97%
Rams 13-3-0 NFC West +1000 6.97%
Saints 13-3-0 NFC South +1200 5.90%
Bears 12-4-0 NFC North +1400 5.11%
Browns 7-8-1 AFC North +1400 5.11%
Colts 10-6-0 AFC South +1400 5.11%
Packers 6-9-1 NFC North +1600 4.51%
Chargers 12-4-0 AFC West +1600 4.51%

Eagles 9-7-0 NFC East +1600 4.51% 
Falcons 7-9-0 NFC South +2500 2.95%
Cowboys 10-6-0 NFC East +2500 2.95% 
Texans 11-5-0 AFC South +2500 2.95%
Vikings 8-7-1 NFC North +2500 2.95%
Steelers 9-6-1 AFC North +2500 2.95%
49ers 4-12-0 NFC West +2500 2.95%
Ravens 10-6-0 AFC North +3300 2.25%
Jaguars 5-11-0 AFC South +3300 2.25%
Seahawks 10-6-0 NFC West +3300 2.25%
Raiders 4-12-0 AFC West +4000 1.87%
Panthers 7-9-0 NFC South +5000 1.50%
Broncos 6-10-0 AFC West +5000 1.50%
Giants 5-11-0 NFC East +5000 1.50% 
Jets 4-12-0 AFC East +5000 1.50%
Titans 9-7-0 AFC South +5000 1.50%
Bills 6-10-0 AFC East +6600 1.14%
Lions 6-10-0 NFC North +6600 1.14%
Bucs 5-11-0 NFC South +6600 1.14%
Cardinals 3-13-0 NFC West +8000 0.95%
Bengals 6-10-0 AFC North +10000 0.76%
Redskins 7-9-0 NFC East +10000 0.76% 
Dolphins 7-9-0 AFC East +12500 0.61%

Edited by Vic Mackey

On 7/15/2019 at 11:27 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't blame Zeke for holding out considering the diminishing value placed on RBs and that he has the highest usage rate of any RB in NFL history for his first 3 years, but all of this and our upcoming dilemma of whether we will pay him is exhibit A of why it's completely stupid to ever draft an RB that high in the draft. 

2nd highest usage

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Team 2018 Record Odds Chance to win Super Bowl

Patriots 11-5-0 AFC East +600 10.95%
Chiefs 12-4-0 AFC West +1000 6.97%
Rams 13-3-0 NFC West +1000 6.97%
Saints 13-3-0 NFC South +1200 5.90%
Bears 12-4-0 NFC North +1400 5.11%
Browns 7-8-1 AFC North +1400 5.11%
Colts 10-6-0 AFC South +1400 5.11%
Packers 6-9-1 NFC North +1600 4.51%
Chargers 12-4-0 AFC West +1600 4.51%

Eagles 9-7-0 NFC East +1600 4.51% 
Falcons 7-9-0 NFC South +2500 2.95%
Cowboys 10-6-0 NFC East +2500 2.95% 
Texans 11-5-0 AFC South +2500 2.95%
Vikings 8-7-1 NFC North +2500 2.95%
Steelers 9-6-1 AFC North +2500 2.95%
49ers 4-12-0 NFC West +2500 2.95%
Ravens 10-6-0 AFC North +3300 2.25%
Jaguars 5-11-0 AFC South +3300 2.25%
Seahawks 10-6-0 NFC West +3300 2.25%
Raiders 4-12-0 AFC West +4000 1.87%
Panthers 7-9-0 NFC South +5000 1.50%
Broncos 6-10-0 AFC West +5000 1.50%
Giants 5-11-0 NFC East +5000 1.50% 
Jets 4-12-0 AFC East +5000 1.50%
Titans 9-7-0 AFC South +5000 1.50%
Bills 6-10-0 AFC East +6600 1.14%
Lions 6-10-0 NFC North +6600 1.14%
Bucs 5-11-0 NFC South +6600 1.14%
Cardinals 3-13-0 NFC West +8000 0.95%
Bengals 6-10-0 AFC North +10000 0.76%
Redskins 7-9-0 NFC East +10000 0.76% 
Dolphins 7-9-0 AFC East +12500 0.61%

Iggles love? I dont get it. 

What does Restricted vs. Unrestricted really matter if a player is not adamant about getting out of town?

And if behavior and suspensions are of real concern, or hell even injury, why can't the cowboys offer him a lucrative deal based on games played and performance incentives?

Edited by JohnnyRage

12 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

What does Restricted vs. Unrestricted really matter if a player is not adamant about getting out of town?

And if behavior and suspensions are of real concern, or hell even injury, why can't the cowboys offer him a lucrative deal based on games played and performance incentives?

They can offer a deal based on incentives, but the player or his agent may not be interested in an incentive based contract and want guaranteed money, which considering how brutal the sport is and how high the injury percentage is, makes sense for the player.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They can offer a deal based on incentives, but the player or his agent may not be interested in an incentive based contract and want guaranteed money, which considering how brutal the sport is and how high the injury percentage is, makes sense for the player.

Right, so couldn’t the incentives be set high enough to offset that risk? And the bars set high enough so that if met, they are well worth it.

53 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Right, so couldn’t the incentives be set high enough to offset that risk? And the bars set high enough so that if met, they are well worth it.

Mainly because there are differences between LBTE (likely to be earned) incentives and NLBTE's (not likely to be earned) incentives.  LBTE's count vs the salary cap so in the examples you probably would want to build a contract around, it wouldn't have much impact.  You could give Elliott like a NLBTE of 2 million if he gets to a 2k rushing yards for giving up a million of guaranteed money, but I doubt his camp would think this would be "worth it" as the odds wouldn't be in his favor.

• Like 1

Don't give a shit if it is beating a dead horse but Tyreek Hill gets no discipline at all. And we bent over and took it up to ass to have Zeke suspended 6 games for nothing that could be proven in any manner. Zeke was not even detained, much less arrested. Fuck Goodell but it was predictable he would get no discipline and they didn't find anything wrong.

• Like 2

I've heard rumors that Goodell and the league are going a bit softer recently due to the new CBA coming.  They don't want to get in wars again...otherwise Zeke would have been fined/suspended for the Vegas shit even though nothing really happened.

He hasn't come down on anyone hard lately.  Hell guys like Gregory are probably going to get reinstated pretty soon, when 2 years ago there was NO way that would happen.

I suspect he'll bring the hammer after they get the new CBA worked out(unless the players are smart enough to limit his power, or at least make it reasonable instead of "If Goodell say so, it's the law" as it is now)

40 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Becoming clearer and clearer that the Elliott suspension was in part at the behest to a cadre of owners.  Goodell doesn't have the balls otherwise.

This was nothing more than Arthur Blank (fuck that guy) successfully pissing on Jerry. Blank and goodell remind me of satan and sadam on South Park. 

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

This league is full of shit and Roger Goodell sucks. 

I hate the argument that he makes the owners a lot money.  a bum off the street could make the owners a lot of money in his position.  the league prints money.  

5 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

They were but I give kraft a pass because he supports the rights of immigrants to both rub and tug and digitally penetrate old men. 

fify

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

This was nothing more than Arthur Blank (fuck that guy) successfully pissing on Jerry. Blank and goodell remind me of satan and sadam on South Park. 

Arthur Blank actually charges reasonable concession prices in his stadium. 

Jerry Jones tries to fuck cowboy fans over for every penny he can. He's taken full advantage of the rabid fan base to price gouge the shit out of people. Fuck Jerry Jones and God bless Arthur Blank. I'd switch owners in a fucking second. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

No suspension for Zeke bullying that festival worker and now no suspension for Hill beating his kid. Has the commish Nazi reacted to lower ratings and now doesn't want to take stars off the field? 

There’s just a little bit of difference in Zeke bumping into a grown security guard and a dude beating the fuck out of his child. I can’t believe Hill gets off scott free
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

There’s just a little bit of difference in Zeke bumping into a grown security guard and a dude beating the fuck out of his child. I can’t believe Hill gets off scott free

Of course, but Zeke is a repeat offender and you know after the last time the commish would love nothing more to hammer him and Jerry again. Yet he didn't and didn't do anything to Hill either. I wonder if he's feeling some heat from their dropping ratings the last two years. 

I keep hearing shit about the ratings dropping. It has absolutely nothing to do with the product on the field or players kneeling IMO (or fans reacting to player suspensions). It has everything to do with the fact that millennials have endless ways of consuming content. If fantasy football wasn’t a thing, I probably wouldn’t watch a single game outside of the cowboys games, especially on Sunday afternoon. I’ll probably sit down and watch the Sunday night game since a lot of times that’s the best game of the week, but I’m not watching a Monday night game between the titans and ravens unless I have a lot of fantasy football implications riding on the game.

4 hours ago, Mileslong said:

giving your kid a much deserved whoopin doesn’t really qualify as “beating the fuck out of him.”  you are in california, though.