Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

20 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jerry only cares about winning if it comes on his exact terms. That is selfish behavior and us fans have to live with it. Jerry does not care about winning in general, just winning to make himself look good. And he will let us fans suffer and not give a damn. Because he knows fans will continue to buy tickets and merchandise year after year. Jerry only want a ring if it means he gets all credit. That wouldn't happen if he brought in a real coach and GM. Then all the credit would shift to them naturally.

I would agree with you, but I don’t think Jerry actually does anything anymore. At all. It’s all Stephen Jones and will McClay at this point. That’s why we have the roster that we have right now. If you want to argue Garrett as the reason that you’re right, I’ll buy that. I just think they love him, and they love how he is with the team day to day. I definitely think he cares about winning though. I feel like it hurts him more than anyone when we lose, if for no other reason, he wants to prove that those early 90s championships weren’t 100% jimmy johnson. Also, knowing jimmy Johnson’s personality, I’m sure he wasn’t innocent back then. After a certain point, Jerry was his boss, and you can’t just talk to your boss any type of way. I’m sure they could’ve made it work if Jerry just swallowed his pride, but we k is what kind of pride Jerry has.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jerry only cares about winning if it comes on his exact terms. That is selfish behavior and us fans have to live with it. Jerry does not care about winning in general, just winning to make himself look good. And he will let us fans suffer and not give a damn. Because he knows fans will continue to buy tickets and merchandise year after year. Jerry only want a ring if it means he gets all credit. That wouldn't happen if he brought in a real coach and GM. Then all the credit would shift to them naturally.

I think this is correct. Jerry only wants another ring if he can take credit for it. That's why he's still officially the GM.

We're fortunate he's letting other people do much of the work anymore, but don't doubt that his big cancerous ego will still rise up and crush anything around him if he sees a real shot at self glorification.       

We’ve got 25 years of evidence that Jerry only cares about winning if he gets all of the credit. It’s stupid of course, because look at how much credit Robert Kraft gets in New England (handjobs in strip malls aside). If you win as an owner, you get credit...period.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

We’ve got 25 years of evidence that Jerry only cares about winning if he gets all of the credit. It’s stupid of course, because look at how much credit Robert Kraft gets in New England (handjobs in strip malls aside). If you win as an owner, you get credit...period.

Jerry is just stupid as shit. He would get tons of credit if he actually hired a great coaching staff. That would be his doing. He'd get credit for turning the team over to a real GM. Those are all owner decisions. But he wants more credit than just hiring. He actually wants credit for building the team when that isn't the job as the owner to do. Or it shouldn't be. That's why you hire the guys who do it for a living. Sit back and sip your Johnnie Blue and watch the damn games and count your money.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Marshawn couldn’t hold Zeke’s jock. We need to lock up Zeke, Dak and Cooper. Now. 

Exactly. I want to go all in on those 3. Pay them. This isn't going to work with one of them gone. I mean I know we have fans who actually think a spare qB can replace Dak and this will succeed. It won't. Some believe we can plug and play at RB and it will work. It won't.

All 3 will get paid and we easily have the means to do it.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Marshawn couldn’t hold Zeke’s jock. We need to lock up Zeke, Dak and Cooper. Now. 

I’ve got a problem with it. Zeke is hands down the league’s best runner. 

I feel like you kinda misinterpreted both of my posts. Zeke is clearly better than Marshawn. That isn’t debatable. I was saying he has a skill set like LT, but he plays with a mean streak like “I fucking dare you to try to tackle me one on one” like Marshawn in his prime. 

And I agree that he’s a better rb than Saquan, but we’re kinda splitting hairs. All i was saying is Saquan is the most naturally gifted rb I’ve seen in a long time from a sheer athleticism standpoint. Until he has the skins on the wall like Zeke has, I wouldn’t say he’s better. But i could see how players that have played against both guys would say he is better (by 2 spots on a top 100 list lol Jfc). It would be interesting to see what he’d look like with this offense. For the record, Zeke said it himself. So it isn’t a ridiculous thing to say. Think about what he did on the Giants with a trash ass offensive line

Edited by youdunnf'dup

We’re clearly going to agree to disagree on this one. It’s not like I’m rooting for Saquan to be a great player, but you don’t just stumble into 2000 total yards (which was more than Zeke had on almost 40 fewer touches btw) and 16 tds your rookie season and “barely crack the top 5”. Get the fuck out of here. You don’t know what you’re talking about on this topic and your last post kinda proves it. Zeke is a great player. Saquan is a great player. If Zeke is the best back then Saquan is a clear #2, and it isn’t even close. But Saquan has a strong case at being the best back if you take your biased goggles off. It’s a one season sample size, but either way. The numbers don’t lie, and the fucking eye test doesn’t lie in this case lol. What are we even talking about right now. And I’m not even factoring in the obvious advantages that Zeke has over Saquan when it comes to our offensive line vs the Giants terrible offensive line.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, Genco said:

So your argument is that Barkley is clearly an inferior back (perhaps outside the top 5) because he gained more yards on fewer touches, had more TDs, and ZERO fumbles but he did it on a losing team with a bad QB?

I think the argument is that his utilization was higher because they had no other options, but when you factor in the fewer touches it doesn't make sense.  Barkley appears to be the better back, but the sample size is too small to make a judgement.

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I think the argument is that his utilization was higher because they had no other options, but when you factor in the fewer touches it doesn't make sense.  Barkley appears to be the better back, but the sample size is too small to make a judgement.

What’s funny is, his sample size is literally the only proof we have of what he’s capable of in the NFL. We’re not talking about a guy that had one below average season, and one breakout season. All he’s EVER done in the nfl is put up 2000 total yards with 16 tds (7 more than Zeke), with zero fumbles. All while playing behind a shit oline. But no, a guy like Gurley who had to split carries at the end of the year because of his knee is clearly better than Saquan. And considering how they used their first pick in the draft, a guy that’s going to split carries again this year. Or a guy like Kamara who has literally split carries his entire nfl and college career because Sean Payton doesn’t think he can be a true workhorse back. Or a guy like Leveon bell who even in his BEST FUCKING SEASON EVER, never did what Saquan just did last year. Not to mention the fact that he sat out an entire season. 

This is the dumbest argument I’ve had in a while. If you want to argue that Zeke is better because he was the rushing champion, fine. I won’t argue that, even though I think a strong case could be made for Saquan (maybe even a better case). But you lose all credibility on the subject if you’re going to sit there and tell me he’s anything but top 3 at the very worst. There’s a reason the players who have played against both guys rated him higher, even if it’s just two slots. He’s a freak athlete.

And again, let me reiterate, I don’t want him to be a good football player lol. He plays for one of the 3 teams I hate the most in the NFL. I’m just calling it like I see it. And I highly doubt it was a fluke. There’s a reason every GM called him the most talented player in that draft class. The giants still probably should’ve drafted Darnold because they aren’t close to winning, but from an athleticism standpoint, he basically graded out as the best athlete ever at the position at the combine.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

6 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

29 fewer touches on a 5-11 team benefitting from Checkdown Eli and an OBJ that played only 12 games. I want to see Barkley repeat that for a winning team. And he’s clearly behind Zeke and Gurley. I’d like to see what Bell does this year, as well as Kamara and Mixon. Barkley might evolve to the best or 2nd best in the league but now he’s 3 at best and perhaps outside the top 5. 

There's not a GM in the league who wouldn't trade Todd Gurley for Saquon Barkley straight-up at this very minute.

I think most would. It’s purely based on injury concern and age. That doesn’t mean Gurley isn't better - right now. 

If both were healthy, Sean McVay himself would trade Gurley for Barkley and he might even throw in a late round pick lol. Youre just dead wrong on this one, but I respect how stubborn you are to a certain extent

The real enemy here is the existence of a salary cap at all. 

Its a concept I hate when watching my English soccer team (Everton) and I love when watching my Spanish team (Real Madrid). Since the Cowboys are worth more than RM, I’m sure I’d love it in the NFL. 

Ironic thing is that the salary cap is something Jerry fought really hard for. If he  hadn’t, he’d probably have another couple titles. 

Small markets would suffer, but I couldn’t possibly care less about them. If the Chiefs need to move to Austin, so be it. If Jax needs to move to London, go do it. 

But Zeke having to accept less money because the owner of the Bengals might get hurt is stupid shit. 

4 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

The real enemy here is the existence of a salary cap at all. 

Its a concept I hate when watching my English soccer team (Everton) and I love when watching my Spanish team (Real Madrid). Since the Cowboys are worth more than RM, I’m sure I’d love it in the NFL. 

Ironic thing is that the salary cap is something Jerry fought really hard for. If he  hadn’t, he’d probably have another couple titles. 

Small markets would suffer, but I couldn’t possibly care less about them. If the Chiefs need to move to Austin, so be it. If Jax needs to move to London, go do it. 

But Zeke having to accept less money because the owner of the Bengals might get hurt is stupid shit. 

I’ve been saying that forever. Having a salary cap in the NFL and the NBA makes no fucking sense other than because of what you said. Teams like Cincinnati and buffalo feeling like they don’t have a chance. Tough shit. Why put a limit on how much these guys can make. Why not give Zeke a $100 mil contract because with no salary cap the wealthiest franchise in sports would be able to afford it. It really makes no sense to me

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ve been saying that forever. Having a salary cap in the NFL and the NBA makes no fucking sense other than because of what you said. Teams like Cincinnati and buffalo feeling like they don’t have a chance. Tough shit. Why put a limit on how much these guys can make. Why not give Zeke a $100 mil contract because with no salary cap the wealthiest franchise in sports would be able to afford it. It really makes no sense to me

Yup. You limit the earning potential of a young man from a humble background to protect the pocketbook of a small market owner who is worth a few hundred million...but probably has no business owning an NFL team. He’s not rich enough, but can’t admit that. So we just have a salary cap and fuck over young men trying to come up. 

HOF game tonight they asked Brandt if they ever went against the computer. He said once....Joe Montana... We had 3 veteran qb's

Cant say how much it woulda changed. We did go to some NFC championships in the 80's and i wouldnt want to trade the Triplets years for maybe a different history.

Just a fun story about thats the one time Cowboys didnt trust their process

50 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
4 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:
Speaking from experience are we? 

I have never once claimed not to be a butt pirate...quit deflecting, you butt pirate

Again, not sure why there's any misunderstanding here. I made it very clear in my username that I was not a butt pirate. 

Again, not sure why there's any misunderstanding here. I made it very clear in my username that I was not a butt pirate. 

One does not simply declare they are not a butt pirate....

But i think we both know this joke has ran its course...

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

No salary cap gets you something akin to La Ligue in Spain -- 3-4 superstar teams and the rest that have zero chance. The NFL would probably have 5-6 juggernauts spread between NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston and places like that with the remainder of the league -- if there was one -- that just can't compete.

Personally, I think you should have a little additional latitude to sign players that you drafted or originally discovered.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

No salary cap gets you something akin to La Ligue in Spain -- 3-4 superstar teams and the rest that have zero chance. The NFL would probably have 5-6 juggernauts spread between NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston and places like that with the remainder of the league -- if there was one -- that just can't compete.

Personally, I think you should have a little additional latitude to sign players that you drafted or originally discovered.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but with a sport like soccer (and basketball to a certain extent) usually the most talented team wins. In football, I just feel like coaching is so important that it wouldn’t be as big of an issue. The lesser teams would have to work harder to draft better, and find ways to win within the margins, but I think it could work. When you consider how dangerous football is, and how much money the NFL makes, there really shouldn’t be a cap on how much money these guys make. It’s almost laughable to me that the top level baseball players make so much more than top level football players when they impact the games a lot more. Bryce Harper has 5 ABs a game, and the ball is hit to him a handful of times each game. There’s no way he should make more (year to year) than a guy like Aaron Rodgers, or even Zeke, just because of a salary cap. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

I agree with you to a certain extent, but with a sport like soccer (and basketball to a certain extent) usually the most talented team wins. In football, I just feel like coaching is so important that it wouldn’t be as big of an issue. The lesser teams would have to work harder to draft better, and find ways to win within the margins, but I think it could work. When you consider how dangerous football is, and how much money the NFL makes, there really shouldn’t be a cap on how much money these guys make. It’s almost laughable to me that the top level baseball players make so much more than top level football players when they impact the games a lot more. Bryce Harper has 5 ABs a game, and the ball is hit to him a handful of times each game. There’s no way he should make more (year to year) than a guy like Aaron Rodgers, or even Zeke, just because of a salary cap. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of this but do you want an 8-10 team league or do you want one with 30+ teams?

I think a way to make the salary cap work better, and it would equally benefit all teams and many players is this:

a) you get to franchise tag 2 players each year that you drafted if they are at the end of their rookie contract.

b) that franchise tag, following the same rules (salary is the average of top 5 in the league) can be elected up front as a one or two year franchise tag.   

C) the franchise tag salary election only counts 50% against the hard cap.  This would allow a team to go over the cap by paying franchise players for 2 extra years a maximum salary 

All the best coaches would then go to the teams that give them the best chance to win. The salary cap is part of why the NFL is great. Pretty much any team can win if they draft well and hire good coaches...and if they get lucky with drafting a great QB.

All the best coaches would then go to the teams that give them the best chance to win. The salary cap is part of why the NFL is great. Pretty much any team can win if they draft well and hire good coaches...and if they get lucky with drafting a great QB.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Correct. It would be great for teams in NY, LA, Dallas, Chicago and a handful of other places -- given the right owner, who isn't afraid to spend money. For the 80%+ it would be a garbage system that gives them no chance to compete.

I caught the Ranch Report on my way into the office and they're talking about the Zeke situation. I'm OK extending his deal if that's what he wants but he's under contract for two more years. I might give him enough scratch to make him the highest-paid RB in the league but it's only by a dollar or something. I'm not bumping him into the $20M/yr range to set the new market. He's a great player and integral to what we do. But he's a known knucklehead all the way back to his OSU days. There's some real risk there and, honestly, the shit he's gotten himself into should cost him some dollars. Personally, I'd trade him for Barkley straight-up if that deal were on the table today.

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I think a way to make the salary cap work better, and it would equally benefit all teams and many players is this:

a) you get to franchise tag 2 players each year that you drafted if they are at the end of their rookie contract.

b) that franchise tag, following the same rules (salary is the average of top 5 in the league) can be elected up front as a one or two year franchise tag.   

C) the franchise tag salary election only counts 50% against the hard cap.  This would allow a team to go over the cap by paying franchise players for 2 extra years a maximum salary 

Wouldn't that dissuade teams from giving players long term contracts? And isn't that what players want? How about you can pay a player you drafted as much as you want and it counts only half or is capped as against the salary cap? That way we could pay Dak, Zeke, and Cooper, and only Cooper's number would be a major hit to the cap.

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wouldn't that dissuade teams from giving players long term contracts? And isn't that what players want? How about you can pay a player you drafted as much as you want and it counts only half or is capped as against the salary cap? That way we could pay Dak, Zeke, and Cooper, and only Cooper's number would be a major hit to the cap.

Dude, Cooper Rush isn't the answer.