Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

47 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I think that's a tough sell because for every guy like a Romo or Aikman or Irvin that's turned it into a post playing career gig with the media there's hundreds of guys that don't get anything. I think in the NFL there's only two realistic ways to get even a small discount. One is to do what the Spurs did with Parker, Ginobili and Duncan and meet with them collectively to lay out a plan if each is willing to sacrifice a little in the short-term. The other way is to fully guarantee the contract. Let's say Zeke is willing to take a 5 for 60 with 48 guaranteed. He might be willing to go 5 for 53.5 if it's all guaranteed. 

You're correct on the very few guys getting big money doing the analysis circuit.  However, Jerry has given tons of guys the opportunity to buy into some of his real estate dealings, and other items.  Guys like Larry Brown are still making quite a bit of money due to things they did as Cowboys.  

I forgot it was a tag year for Bell. That makes sense. You think he'd sign for 12 per?
If its guaranteed...5th year option is going to be 9 mil
Tag will probably be about 15mil.

So we can get him to stay for 12mil per year either way....doing a deal now would have to help both parties or their is no point.
So zeke gets guaranteed top pay and cowboys dont absorb some 20+ mil cap hit

21 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Let’s see.  

Frank Gore: injured in college and multiple times in the NFL.  

Adrian Peterson: injured multiple times in college and the NFL.  

DeMarco Murray: injured multiple times in college and the NFL

Ezekiel Elliott, never missed an NFL game due to injury, and never missed a college game due to injury.  Guys that don’t get hurt early, tend to not get hurt often.   Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith come to mind.   I take Zeke every day and twice on Sunday over David Johnson and guys of that ilk.   The 6 games missed by Zeke for a stupid ass deal can’t be overlooked, but it can be argued that it was an absolute joke.  Goodell is a fucking clown 

Zeke stays fresh by getting him self suspended for several weeks on a regular basis. 

But yeah, he seems to have the body to be a good candidate to be one of those rare modern RBs who play at a high level for a long career, if he doesn't keep doing stupidass shit, which he probably will.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:04 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Get all three of them in a room with their agents, go through the numbers, and let them know that this is the only way to keep them together and also have a good o-line and serviceable defense. Zeke (or his agent at least) will know that it means he's the odd man out if he insists on more. Yeah, we used a top 5 pick on him, but I bet there is a team that would take him in a trade and pay him while giving us some picks. 

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Get all three of them in a room with their agents, go through the numbers, and let them know that this is the only way to keep them together and also have a good o-line and serviceable defense. Zeke (or his agent at least) will know that it means he's the odd man out if he insists on more. Yeah, we used a top 5 pick on him, but I bet there is a team that would take him in a trade and pay him while giving us some picks. 

I don't know, Seattle is about the only other team left that wants to run the ball as a feature of the offense. Every other team just runs when they want to change up from passing down field/throwing screens. 

25 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I don't know, Seattle is about the only other team left that wants to run the ball as a feature of the offense. Every other team just runs when they want to change up from passing down field/throwing screens. 

Matt Patricia and Detroit want to run the ball, but Patricia is an idiot and will probably be fired within the next 2 years. So that’s probably a bad example

32 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Baltimore.  Seattle.  Tennessee.  New England which uses the run and a ball control passing game now.  I think teams like Buffalo, Jax, and Washington want to but they're just really bad at it.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Baltimore.  Seattle.  Tennessee.  New England which uses the run and a ball control passing game now.  I think teams like Buffalo, Jax, and Washington want to but they're just really bad at it.

Which of those teams want to give $13 million a year long term to a RB? I doubt any of them would. NE runs as a change of pace to Brady's short passing game. Tennessee and Baltimore want to throw more than Dallas and Seattle but don't have the QB to do it. Seattle is the only one like the Cowboys that feature the run as their primary option in the game plan, and Seattle may be changing that after their loss in Dallas in playoffs. 

I feel bad for jerry.  he wants a title he can call his own more than anything in the world.  he’d give the lives of gene and his kids to hoist that lombardi one more time, one that he could really call his own.  and it seems like he thinks he has a real chance to do it.  too bad he’s built his hopes on a fucking fraud quarterback that will never win a goddamn thing and will torpedo this team into the ground when he signs his $200MM contract.  

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Sounds like a bunch of BS...but we will see
A team representative showing up at scene is not conspiracy. He ran a red light; not a good look but it happens.
Why is this guy just now getting around to this 2.5 years later???

I'm not clear exactly why the Cowboys are named other than having the deepest pockets.  From reading it, apparently this guy has some tin foil theory that the Cowboys conspired to keep the details quiet so Elliott could avoid concussion protocol for their playoffs game?  Say Wha????  Gotta think this gets tossed but who knows in todays' legal system.

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

And says he is suing team...he was driving a bmw 750 so he probably has some cash but jones can just drain your savings away in lawyer fees unless you got a guy who will take on the cowboys for no charge until/if you win

Contingency.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I feel bad for jerry.  he wants a title he can call his own more than anything in the world.  he’d give the lives of gene and his kids to hoist that lombardi one more time, one that he could really call his own.  and it seems like he thinks he has a real chance to do it.  too bad he’s built his hopes on a fucking fraud quarterback that will never win a goddamn thing and will torpedo this team into the ground when he signs his $200MM contract.  

You feel sorry for a guy who literally wants to sacrifice good coaches for the sake of him being able to say it was his doing? Good fucking lord. Fuck Jerry, Stephen and the whole Jones family. Unlike Robert Kraft, he accepts mediocrity and has brainwashed fans into thinking he really cares about winning. He fired the best coach he ever had in Jimmy because his ego was too big to take a backseat and let Jimmy do what he was paid to do. He has already admitted on record him as the GM should be fired if he wasn't the owner.

Jerry doesn't give one shit about winning. He cares about his ego and being relevant in the news. That is it. He already has 3 trophies. Instead of giving this team the best chance to win by actually hiring a competent GM and a good coaching staff, we got stuck with Garrett/Linehan. No owner who wants to win would have either around their team. But owners who have a safety net for scapegoats and will follow orders, they are great to have. Parcells didn't put up with his shit and that is why that was short lived.

But hey, another post by you trashing Dak at any chance and this time you actually tell us you feel sorry for Jerry. You already said the Mike White thing was a bit. Now I can't take much more serious if you actually feel sorry for that narcissistic fucktard. But hey, Dallas is ranked #1 in value. Who hoo!!! Raise that banner!

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You already said the Mike White thing was a bit.

can you prove that?  I never said this.  it’s not a bit.  mike white can sling the ball all over the yard and you’ll see it in the preseason.  all he needs is a chance.  his arm talent is elite; dak has high school arm talent.  but dak is a tough guy who tries hard so the media and a horde of idiot fans think he’s a legitimate player at his position.  I’m not saying he couldn’t be a starting-caliber fullback on the right team. 

6 hours ago, futureman said:

can you prove that?  I never said this.  it’s not a bit.  mike white can sling the ball all over the yard and you’ll see it in the preseason.  all he needs is a chance.  his arm talent is elite; dak has high school arm talent.  but dak is a tough guy who tries hard so the media and a horde of idiot fans think he’s a legitimate player at his position.  I’m not saying he couldn’t be a starting-caliber fullback on the right team. 

He isn’t going to beat out cooper rush, my dude lol. And when he doesn’t, he’ll be cut and in the XFL. Gtfo with this bull shit 

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

You feel sorry for a guy who literally wants to sacrifice good coaches for the sake of him being able to say it was his doing? Good fucking lord. Fuck Jerry, Stephen and the whole Jones family. Unlike Robert Kraft, he accepts mediocrity and has brainwashed fans into thinking he really cares about winning. He fired the best coach he ever had in Jimmy because his ego was too big to take a backseat and let Jimmy do what he was paid to do. He has already admitted on record him as the GM should be fired if he wasn't the owner.

Jerry doesn't give one shit about winning. He cares about his ego and being relevant in the news. That is it. He already has 3 trophies. Instead of giving this team the best chance to win by actually hiring a competent GM and a good coaching staff, we got stuck with Garrett/Linehan. No owner who wants to win would have either around their team. But owners who have a safety net for scapegoats and will follow orders, they are great to have. Parcells didn't put up with his shit and that is why that was short lived.

But hey, another post by you trashing Dak at any chance and this time you actually tell us you feel sorry for Jerry. You already said the Mike White thing was a bit. Now I can't take much more serious if you actually feel sorry for that narcissistic fucktard. But hey, Dallas is ranked #1 in value. Who hoo!!! Raise that banner!

Haven't disagreed with you much this offseason, but I will here about Jerry.

Yes he's an egotistical son of a bitch who wants to make money.  And that's part of the reason he wants to win, and is doing everything he can to get that elusive 4th SB. 

You don't think a SB will help the bottom line?  And as said above, he wants that SB for his ego...so he can crow about getting another one HIS way, and shove it in everybodies face.

I never get the argument that he "doesn't care about winning".  Of COURSE he does.  Even if it's for egotistical reasons.

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m about ready to cave. Dude is HOF special on the field. You don’t pay RBs, but when you have an LT/marshawn hybrid...

Not really, Saquan was above him. He's already in the decline apparently.  Not even the best RB in the league anymore....

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yes he's an egotistical son of a bitch who wants to make money.  And that's part of the reason he wants to win, and is doing everything he can to get that elusive 4th SB. 

You don't think a SB will help the bottom line?  And as said above, he wants that SB for his ego...so he can crow about getting another one HIS way, and shove it in everybodies face.

I never get the argument that he "doesn't care about winning".  Of COURSE he does.  Even if it's for egotistical reasons.

Yeah, saying he doesn't want to win is fucking stupid. He wants to win as bad as anyone. But his ego says it has to be him making the calls and he's blind as to why it's not working. If you asked him if he would be willing to step down as GM if it meant winning a SB, the question wouldn't make sense to him, because he doesn't get that a different GM might improve the chances of winning a SB. He just doesn't see anything other than himself calling the shots and I have no doubt he starts every year expecting to win it all. And hell, the talent is there, it could happen. Blind squirrels and nuts yadda yadda. As a Cowboys fan, I accept that Jerry will always be calling the shots, so I just hope every year it somehow works this time.

• Like 1

I have no problem with saquan being ahead of him. Did you watch him last years? He’s easily the most naturally talented rb I’ve seen. Right up there with a guy like AP. I’m not saying he’ll have that kind of career, who knows. But he’s part of the new wave of freak athlete that just move differently from guys we grew up watching. If he was in our backfield, my god.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m about ready to cave. Dude is HOF special on the field. You don’t pay RBs, but when you have an LT/marshawn hybrid...

I agree he's special and would love to sign him whatever the cost (it's not like it's my money). But the realities of the salary cap and all, if one of the stars has to go, it would be him just because of the nature of the position in today's game. I'd rather spend that money keeping the OL together and having a solid defense. 

Edited by 'stache

53 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jerry only cares about winning if it comes on his exact terms. That is selfish behavior and us fans have to live with it. Jerry does not care about winning in general, just winning to make himself look good. And he will let us fans suffer and not give a damn. Because he knows fans will continue to buy tickets and merchandise year after year. Jerry only want a ring if it means he gets all credit. That wouldn't happen if he brought in a real coach and GM. Then all the credit would shift to them naturally.