Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

Also, not that this matters, but Allen Hurns signed a 1 year $3mil deal. Pretty sure he was set to make $5mil with us so I would assume the paycut would’ve been a similar deal. But he’s from Miami, so it makes sense. Good for him. I didn’t think he’d catch on anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Also, not that this matters, but Allen Hurns signed a 1 year $3mil deal. Pretty sure he was set to make $5mil with us so I would assume the paycut would’ve been a similar deal. But he’s from Miami, so it makes sense. Good for him. I didn’t think he’d catch on anywhere.

He was semi legit in Jacksonville before the cowboys stupidly tried to make him a #1 in an offense that doesn't use his strengths well. Someone was surely going to pick him up, and I'm surprised the Giants didn't. 

1 hour ago, DougO said:

WFAAVerified account @wfaa 18h18 hours ago

Replying to @notsoquick36

Was this photo taken today? If so, can we get permission to use it online and on-air?

===

Lord, I hate the media.

Cowboys' Dallas media is just as annoying, predictable, and hollow as futureman's whore cunt of a wife. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Cowboys have sent Zeke an offer. Waiting on response and counter. Bet he reports before next weekend.

The offer has been out there if I’m not mistaken. He has to report. First of all, if he doesn’t come back by a certain point of training camp (I don’t know the exact date) he’ll hey fined $30k for every day he misses. Also, he’s two years out. He has to report in order to even be considered one year away from FA. Theoretically, if he sat out all year, he’d still be entering the 4th year of his contract (so still two years away from FA). If he misses, he’s betting on us being incompetent without him and eventually we’d cave. But if we just decided to bite the bullet and let him sit out all year, he’d be giving up a TON of money and he wouldn’t be any closer to his ultimate goal of being one year closer to FA

Edited by youdunnf'dup

9 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re amusing. He’s pathetic. 

Your shenanigans are cheeky and fun. His shenanigans are cruel and tragic. 

He ruins every thread he touches.  How the fuck he has any green rep is beyond me.  Guessing he loaded up on it in cloakroom.

58 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

He has to report by August 6th I think to get credit for the one year towards free agency. What I don't know is that the only date he has to meet? Could he show up August 5th, finish camp with the team, then sit out the season and still be counted as a year of service?

It’s August 8th 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The NFL is suspending Golden Tate 4 games for PEDs. He’s going to appeal (and apparently he thinks he has a decent case), but if he’s actually suspended when they play us, who the fuck do they even have to play WR lol? Shepherd might be out. Corey Coleman tore his ACL. Rough offseason for giants wrs 

Sheperd is expected to be ready but Eli can't complete balls to WRs anyway.  A lot of Engram and Barkley checkdowns.

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

He has to report by August 6th I think to get credit for the one year towards free agency. What I don't know is that the only date he has to meet? Could he show up August 5th, finish camp with the team, then sit out the season and still be counted as a year of service?

Bateman I believe stated that it goes towards the difference between restricted FA vs unrestricted FA.

He can't just report and then disappear I believe because the NFL Contract at that point has more damaging leverage than these team fines (which they will give back).

Edited by JohnnyRage

13 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Bateman I believe stated that it goes towards the difference between restricted FA vs unrestricted FA.

He can't just report and then disappear I believe because the NFL Contract at that point has more damaging leverage than these team fines (which they will give back).

The fines are substantial for him if the Cowboys decide to levy them.  Since they opted into his 5th year option, his situation is a little different as he needs that 4th year for UFA.  Basically, he can hold out this year past early August or he can do so next year, but not both.  

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The fines are substantial for him if the Cowboys decide to levy them.  Since they opted into his 5th year option, his situation is a little different as he needs that 4th year for UFA.  Basically, he can hold out this year past early August or he can do so next year, but not both.  

Do you know if he reports by August 6th but then decides to sit the start of the regular season to maximize his leverage over Jerry is there a minimum number of games he has to be available to get this season to count towards free agency? That's the one thing I haven't heard Sturm or any Cowboys media talk about but that's the most important aspect IMO. He never plays in preseason anyway. 

Do you know if he reports by August 6th but then decides to sit the start of the regular season to maximize his leverage over Jerry is there a minimum number of games he has to be available to get this season to count towards free agency? That's the one thing I haven't heard Sturm or any Cowboys media talk about but that's the most important aspect IMO. He never plays in preseason anyway. 
I believe you have to play 6 games for an accrued season....so in your scenario i would guess he has to show up for week 11 game

I doubt Zeke is gonna make it through a 4 year extension.  Either he is going to do something stupid that gets him a long suspension or his lifestyle leads to injury or performance problems.  Dallas is fucked regardless of how they handle it because his talent and dumbfuckery are a nightmare combination.  They need to draft a good rb next year.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Glad to see not much has changed since his final college season. This pick has bust written all over it.

Oh no, you're mistaken sir. According to cowboy fans it's that evil Josh Heupel and his Nazi militaristic expectations. It's not a red flag at all that a guy can't even start on his college team because his coach is such a fucking prick. Not the ass kissing, ass wiping leader that Jason Garrett is!

Yeah I just hope he can give more than that bust Taco. 

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:
17 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Read more  

I believe you have to play 6 games for an accrued season....so in your scenario i would guess he has to show up for week 11 game

Is that for every season other than the final season of the contract? The only reason I ask is because Bell was able to sit every game and become a free agent

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

I doubt Zeke is gonna make it through a 4 year extension.  Either he is going to do something stupid that gets him a long suspension or his lifestyle leads to injury or performance problems.  Dallas is fucked regardless of how they handle it because his talent and dumbfuckery are a nightmare combination.  They need to draft a good rb next year.

Nope. Zeke is already 100 percent destined for 13 years of healthy greatness. Trey362538482626 told us so. 

It's guaranteed. Give him a 10 year extension!

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Glad to see not much has changed since his final college season. This pick has bust written all over it.

8 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Oh no, you're mistaken sir. According to cowboy fans it's that evil Josh Heupel and his Nazi militaristic expectations. It's not a red flag at all that a guy can't even start on his college team because his coach is such a fucking prick. Not the ass kissing, ass wiping leader that Jason Garrett is!

Yeah I just hope he can give more than that bust Taco. 

I mean, it does seem kinda strange that he was a starter and an extremely productive player under Scott Frost when they went undefeated, and then he was benched under Josh Heupel of all people. You guys are putting a lot of stock in the opinion of a sooner who hasn’t proven shit as a head coach. Scott Frost had nothing but good things to say about Hill. Is it crazy to think that maybe the sooner doesn’t know what the fuck he’s doing and didn’t like being challenged by a player, even if that player is one of his best players. I don’t know. Not saying that happened, but for as quick as this site is to jump on OU, we’re sure putting a lot of stock in the opinion of one right now.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Nope. Zeke is already 100 percent destined for 13 years of healthy greatness. Trey362538482626 told us so. 

It's guaranteed. Give him a 10 year extension!

Let’s see.  

Frank Gore: injured in college and multiple times in the NFL.  

Adrian Peterson: injured multiple times in college and the NFL.  

DeMarco Murray: injured multiple times in college and the NFL

Ezekiel Elliott, never missed an NFL game due to injury, and never missed a college game due to injury.  Guys that don’t get hurt early, tend to not get hurt often.   Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith come to mind.   I take Zeke every day and twice on Sunday over David Johnson and guys of that ilk.   The 6 games missed by Zeke for a stupid ass deal can’t be overlooked, but it can be argued that it was an absolute joke.  Goodell is a fucking clown 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, it does seem kinda strange that he was a starter and an extremely productive player under Scott Frost when they went undefeated, and then he was benched under Josh Heupel of all people. You guys are putting a lot of stock in the opinion of a sooner who hasn’t proven shit as a head coach. Scott Frost had nothing but good things to say about Hill. Is it crazy to think that maybe the sooner doesn’t know what the fuck he’s doing and didn’t like being challenged by a player, even if that player is one of his best players. I don’t know. Not saying that happened, but for as quick as this site is to jump on OU, we’re sure putting a lot of stock in the opinion of one right now.

Yeah it's not that big of a deal but just have to see if little things just keep adding up. It's not a disaster to get carted of the field for cramping during what is basically just a conditioning day or not getting along with your college coaching staff, but not good signs in a league so competitive that the smallest things can separate bust from quality starter. 

Is that for every season other than the final season of the contract? The only reason I ask is because Bell was able to sit every game and become a free agent
Bell was already able to be a free agent but the franchise tag didnt allow him to leave; which is why he was pissed

You have to have 4 accrued seasons to be unrestricted free agent...zeke has 3. So he will need to play at some point. He doesnt have much leverage.

If they want to work out a fair deal they could give him a 4 year deal right now for around 48mil all guaranteed

Gives him a raise and buys out 5th year plus franchise tag years(if they tag him)...win win imo as it would be cheaper per year for cowboys plus give zeke 70+ million earned for career with a chance at another deal at end of career(29 years old)

41 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Yeah it's not that big of a deal but just have to see if little things just keep adding up. It's not a disaster to get carted of the field for cramping during what is basically just a conditioning day or not getting along with your college coaching staff, but not good signs in a league so competitive that the smallest things can separate bust from quality starter. 

That’s fair. I just don’t think it’s that surprising that a rookie DT would get cramps on his first day of training camp. I put zero stock in what Josh Heupel has to say. Zero. He was being used a certain way under Frost, and he was successful. Heupel, a guy that has no HC experience benched him because they disagreed on how he should be used (if I’m not mistaken). He wasn’t a locker room cancer or anything like that. It sounds like a new HC who was trying to make his mark on a team that’s already had a lot of success, and as soon as he got push back, he felt like he had to make a statement. I put a lot more stock in what Frost had to say. But that’s just my opinion. We’ll see how it plays out. But I think it’s laughable to think that he will be a bust because of those two things. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Bell was already able to be a free agent but the franchise tag didnt allow him to leave; which is why he was pissed

You have to have 4 accrued seasons to be unrestricted free agent...zeke has 3. So he will need to play at some point. He doesnt have much leverage.

If they want to work out a fair deal they could give him a 4 year deal right now for around 48mil all guaranteed

Gives him a raise and buys out 5th year plus franchise tag years(if they tag him)...win win imo as it would be cheaper per year for cowboys plus give zeke 70+ million earned for career with a chance at another deal at end of career(29 years old)

I forgot it was a tag year for Bell. That makes sense. You think he'd sign for 12 per?

I know players (and more specifically their agents) don’t think this way, but at what point do you accept a little bit of a hometown discount because of what comes with winning as a Dallas Cowboy? There are countless examples of players with endorsement deals, jobs in the booth, jobs on ESPN/Fox etc. You don’t get those same opportunities as a rb for the Colts, or the bucs. When you win with this organization it comes with a different level of clout. You think guys like Emmitt or Witten, who were terrible at their job, get those same opportunities if they played for the Seahawks? Of course not. All 3 of them need to sit down in a room together with their agent and say “alright, what is it going to take to get this done. Any money that we give away now will be made up in waves after football.”

It'll never happen, but it makes perfect sense if the agents didn’t need their cut.

47 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

If there more guaranteed years I bet he would.  Say 5/60 with 48 guaranteed.  I bet he’d take that. 

That may be a tad high but it's definitely in the ballpark of what may make sense if you take the mindset of guaranteeing him some money through year 7 (5 year rookie + 2 franchise tags).  He's due 13 million for this year and next, which is the 5 year option.  We've already made that commitment so as long as he doesn't have a catastrophic injury and you assume some risk and he'll be healthy and productive enough to play through to franchise tags, then that's around 25/26 more million.  RB franchise tag this year is about 11.5 million and take into account inflation and Bell's deal to get deals around 12.5 and 13.5 million in his franchise years and you're left with almost 40 millionish which would be due if he simply accepted two franchise tags.  If you give him 6-10m up front and then after two years incentive him through a big roster bonus (like Philly did with Wentz), then you give yourself options and if he's healthy and productive he would get somewhere around 43-45 guaranteed with the chance for more.  Tack on a unguaranteed year or two to get the cap average down and now you may be cooking.  So, in essence you call it a 5 year deal, but it's only a 3 year extension with the last year unguaranteed but also to give him bragging rights.  So call it a 5/62 but with about 44 guaranteed and he hits free agency again in 28 year to cash in one last time.  New money it would be a little over 30 million guaranteed.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

28 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know players (and more specifically their agents) don’t think this way, but at what point do you accept a little bit of a hometown discount because of what comes with winning as a Dallas Cowboy? There are countless examples of players with endorsement deals, jobs in the booth, jobs on ESPN/Fox etc. You don’t get those same opportunities as a rb for the Colts, or the bucs. When you win with this organization it comes with a different level of clout. You think guys like Emmitt or Witten, who were terrible at their job, get those same opportunities if they played for the Seahawks? Of course not. All 3 of them need to sit down in a room together with their agent and say “alright, what is it going to take to get this done. Any money that we give away now will be made up in waves after football.”

It'll never happen, but it makes perfect sense if the agents didn’t need their cut.

I think that's a tough sell because for every guy like a Romo or Aikman or Irvin that's turned it into a post playing career gig with the media there's hundreds of guys that don't get anything. I think in the NFL there's only two realistic ways to get even a small discount. One is to do what the Spurs did with Parker, Ginobili and Duncan and meet with them collectively to lay out a plan if each is willing to sacrifice a little in the short-term. The other way is to fully guarantee the contract. Let's say Zeke is willing to take a 5 for 60 with 48 guaranteed. He might be willing to go 5 for 53.5 if it's all guaranteed.