Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

On 7/20/2019 at 7:28 PM, Junior Miller said:

Of course, but Zeke is a repeat offender and you know after the last time the commish would love nothing more to hammer him and Jerry again. Yet he didn't and didn't do anything to Hill either. I wonder if he's feeling some heat from their dropping ratings the last two years. 

You are essentially the entire collection of the jerkoffs in the cloak room rolled up into one person 

You can't make this shit up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27239255/seahawks-dt-reed-suspended-6-games

Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Jarran Reed will be suspended for the first six weeks of the 2019 season, a league source confirmed to ESPN.

Reed finished second on the team last season with 10.5 sacks but is Seattle's top returning player in that category after defensive end Frank Clark was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs this offseason.

The suspension reportedly stems from a 2017 domestic violence assault investigation in which Reed was not charged.

NFL Network first reported the news of Reed's suspension.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

OMG the comments. 

People remember me being the biggest Romo guy ever.  Never felt like the fan base really ever gave him the credit he deserved until AFTER he retired, and now he's getting WAY too much.  But this is ridiculous.

If anyone e has the Athletic (I don't), apparently this guy polls 55 NFL coaches and GM's on starting QB rankings and takes. The cumulative scores of those GM's and coaches ranked Dak 17th and in the third tier which means "can make some plays but must have a strong running game and strong defense in order to win games". 

When I ranked them a couple months ago I had Dak 14th I think so they are even more down on him than that. 

https://theathletic.com/1082093/2019/07/22/2019-nfl-quarterback-tiers-rankings/

Edited by Junior Miller

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

If anyone e has the Athletic (I don't), apparently this guy polls 55 NFL coaches and GM's on starting QB rankings and takes. The cumulative scores of those GM's and coaches ranked Dak 17th and in the third tier which means "can make some plays but must have a strong running game and strong defense in order to win games". 

When I ranked them a couple months ago I had Dak 14th I think so they are even more down on him than that. 

https://theathletic.com/1082093/2019/07/22/2019-nfl-quarterback-tiers-rankings/

TIER_3_Prescott.jpg

Tier 2 votes: 16 | Tier 3 votes: 38 | Tier 4 votes: 1
The voter most bullish on Prescott saw potential for the Cowboys’ starter to produce like a top-tier quarterback in 2019, his contract year.

“When they got Amari Cooper, he really ascended,” said the voter, a veteran personnel evaluator. “Throw in the O-line, the running back, they add (Randall) Cobb in the slot, and I think (Tier) 2 could be the low number. I could see them winning 12 or 13 games and having people come back next year saying, ‘Oh, maybe he is closer to a 1.’”

That was not the prevailing opinion.

“I just think when it comes down to it, his accuracy is going to limit him because those three to four throws a game you miss, they get you in the long run,” an offensive coordinator said.

Prescott, who had 13 touchdown passes against three interceptions when Cooper was on the field in 2018, polled almost exactly the same this summer compared to last, with about one-third of voters placing him in the second tier.

“I think he is the classic 3, a high 3, where he really needs people around him,” a GM said. “When they got the receiver, he was better. When the runner is rolling, he is better. Play-action is very important for him.”

That description is apt for so many quarterbacks. Prescott brings more to the table, with one coach calling him a great leader who is fearless.

“He is sturdy, he is tough, he doesn’t get hurt,” a GM said. “He has some ‘it’ factor to him. The 3 needs the good run game and strong defense. I think that’s Dak.”

20 hours ago, Drew said:

OMG the comments. 

People remember me being the biggest Romo guy ever.  Never felt like the fan base really ever gave him the credit he deserved until AFTER he retired, and now he's getting WAY too much.  But this is ridiculous.

Broadass has always been a moron  and rarely right about anything.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:53 PM, C-Man said:

Two years after the fact, which is why I never doubt that commie Goodell's ill intentions when it comes to stuff like this. He probably didn't want to suspend him during the playoff run last season and risk one of his marquee players out of the hunt (and possibly a chance to knock the Cowboys out).

Two years after the fact, which is why I never doubt that commie Goodell's ill intentions when it comes to stuff like this. He probably didn't want to suspend him during the playoff run last season and risk one of his marquee players out of the hunt (and possibly a chance to knock the Cowboys out).
Remember when Suh's suspension was overturned the week before we played Detroit in the playoffs?

6 hours ago, DougO said:

So much for all the offseason talk about how important he really is and how well he was recovering.

The cowboys mailbag was pretty funny for about 2 hours yesterday. The question was regarding Randall Cobb’s health and who would fill in in the slot if he went down. It was unanimous. All said Allen hurns, and that’s why he’ll be on the team. They made the edit, but it was just funny how out of touch our own writers were about the situation.

We did kinda fuck Allen Hurns, though. We probably knew we were going to ask him to take a pay cut months ago, but we waited until the very last minute to ask him. Right before training camp. To point where it was “either you accept this pay cut or were going to release you after everyone else has filled their void at wr. Good luck finding a job”. This one wasn’t surprising, but the timing really fucks Hurns. Like, it wouldn’t shock me if we just resigned him after he tests the waters and realizes he doesn’t have any suitors. Unless the Giants pick him up, of course. They always seem to go after our leftovers.

It also makes you wonder who will fill in for Cobb if (and when) he goes down for a few games. I know cooper can play the slot, but I’m sure they don’t want to just stick him there and limit hit versatility. That’s one thing about Cole Beasley. He never missed games.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The cowboys mailbag was pretty funny for about 2 hours yesterday. The question was regarding Randall Cobb’s health and who would fill in in the slot if he went down. It was unanimous. All said Allen hurns, and that’s why he’ll be on the team. They made the edit, but it was just funny how out of touch our own writers were about the situation.

We did kinda fuck Allen Hurns, though. We probably knew we were going to ask him to take a pay cut months ago, but we waited until the very last minute to ask him. Right before training camp. To point where it was “either you accept this pay cut or were going to release you after everyone else has filled their void at wr. Good luck finding a job”. This one wasn’t surprising, but the timing really fucks Hurns. Like, it wouldn’t shock me if we just resigned him after he tests the waters and realizes he doesn’t have any suitors. Unless the Giants pick him up, of course. They always seem to go after our leftovers.

It also makes you wonder who will fill in for Cobb if (and when) he goes down for a few games. I know cooper can play the slot, but I’m sure they don’t want to just stick him there and limit hit versatility. That’s one thing about Cole Beasley. He never missed games.

I get the timing but he wasn't really healthy, was he?  He was allowed to recover and use Cowboy facilities, trainers and doctors while under contract, even in the offseason.  What if they released him in February and nobody wanted him until he proved he was healthy?  I get it, he thinks his services would have landed him somewhere and he may be right, but he's been pretty shitty for us and his not 100% (by his own admission).  I wish him the best, with us or someone else, because reportedly a good dude and does great things in the community.

• Like 1

Hurns was pretty good in the playoffs for Jacksonville on their run to coming within a score of beating the bradichicks. He just looked like shit playing on a predictable ass boring offense that only legit physical specimens look good in. I think he'll get picked up here pretty soon. Wouldn't surprise me if Beasley has a career year either even with a worse QB than Dak. 

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Anyone think Zeke has the balls to miss regular season games like Emmitt did? If he wants his contract now that's what he'll need to do since this season the fuckhead Jerry clan thinks they have a shot at a title. 

He has all the leverage this season. He will have little to none next season. The time to hold out for Zeke for his benefit is now. Dallas has zero and I mean zero plan B behind Zeke. Next year they might sign and draft his replacement. And the hit won't be as bad with just one year left on his rookie deal. This is the time frame that Gurley got his deal done. With 2 years left I think.

RBs now know the deal. They know teams will use them up and spit them out on those rookie deals. You better get your money sooner than later. This is why Bell did what he did. He knew Pitt was about to run him into the ground with no regards and then move on. They already had his replacement. He would have rather sat out a year to take care of his body and then get paid after than go through what Pitt was going to do with him and he might be damaged goods after.

Even as talented as Zeke is, this is probably his only big contract coming up.

23 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Anyone think Zeke has the balls to miss regular season games like Emmitt did? If he wants his contract now that's what he'll need to do since this season the fuckhead Jerry clan thinks they have a shot at a title. 

August 6th will inform you.  If he wants his accrued year towards free agency then he has to report by then.  If not, then Dallas still owns his rights for yet another year.  There may be some middle ground they can find and do a baseball-esque deal.  Sign him to essentially a 3 year extension but guarantee his 5th year option, structure his two tag years into a salary with some guarantees and then have the last year with no guarantees.  Essentially it's a 2 year extension but guarantees and gives a little raise on his 4/5th years with signing bonus and then compensates him justly with salaries for two more years which would have been franchise tagged.  If he's still productive after 7 years with no sign of slowing down (fat chance), then you can re-negotiate or cut him and let him go into free agency at 28 for one last big pay day.  Depends on how his camp looks at it and whether or not he's adamant about getting better than Gurley's contract, which is an outlier.  If he looks at David Johnson's deal, then it's a bit easier to structure.  Gurley's contract really fucks up a lot but if he's not in camp by the 7th then he's very serious and he will have lost a ton of money in fines and a year of accrued value.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

August 6th will inform you.  If he wants his accrued year towards free agency then he has to report by then.  If not, then Dallas still owns his rights for yet another year.  There may be some middle ground they can find and do a baseball-esque deal.  Sign him to essentially a 3 year extension but guarantee his 5th year option, structure his two tag years into a salary with some guarantees and then have the last year with no guarantees.  Essentially it's a 2 year extension but guarantees and gives a little raise on his 4/5th years with signing bonus and then compensates him justly with salaries for two more years which would have been franchise tagged.  If he's still productive after 7 years with no sign of slowing down (fat chance), then you can re-negotiate or cut him and let him go into free agency at 28 for one last big pay day.  Depends on how his camp looks at it and whether or not he's adamant about getting better than Gurley's contract, which is an outlier.  If he looks at David Johnson's deal, then it's a bit easier to structure.  Gurley's contract really fucks up a lot but if he's not in camp by the 7th then he's very serious and he will have lost a ton of money in fines and a year of accrued value.

I wasn't talking about sitting out camp. Really no one cares much if he's at camp for the most part as he won't play preseason anyway. For him the smart play is to show up day 1 of camp and go through it like nothing's wrong then literally the Sunday before the season opener come out and say he won't play without a new deal. That's where his leverage will never be higher and all the pressure is on the Jones' to not let this potential magical season torpedo before it begins. 

Would would really be a big ass power play would be if Dak and Zeke coordinate and both do it at the same time 1 week before the season opener. That would take massive balls though and Dak has all the leverage anyway so no real reason for him to do it. 

Also, I wonder if he'll go for a tear it up now and sign a 3 year deal or if he wants an extension for security past next season. 

Edited by Junior Miller

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

He has all the leverage this season. He will have little to none next season. The time to hold out for Zeke for his benefit is now. Dallas has zero and I mean zero plan B behind Zeke. Next year they might sign and draft his replacement. And the hit won't be as bad with just one year left on his rookie deal. This is the time frame that Gurley got his deal done. With 2 years left I think.

RBs now know the deal. They know teams will use them up and spit them out on those rookie deals. You better get your money sooner than later. This is why Bell did what he did. He knew Pitt was about to run him into the ground with no regards and then move on. They already had his replacement. He would have rather sat out a year to take care of his body and then get paid after than go through what Pitt was going to do with him and he might be damaged goods after.

Even as talented as Zeke is, this is probably his only big contract coming up.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think this is true. I don’t know exactly how it works, but I’m pretty sure he has to play in a certain amount of games (or something like that) for him to even be eligible for the last year or his contract. I’m talking out of my ass right now because I don’t feel like doing the specific research, but this situation is different from Bell and Gordon. Originally I thought you were right, but if I’m not mistaken he kinda has to show up this year. This was more of a warning shot, like, “be prepared for what I’m going to do next year” type of shit.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’m right because he has 2 years left on his deal. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Would like to add also to vic's statement....i dont agree at all about the rb's being ran into the ground.
Zekes highest rush attempts so far is 322...thats 21.5 ppg(15 games)

That would be emmitt's 7th highest season
Plus LT, eddie george, edgerrin james and lots of other backs have done that plus more and had 9 years or longer career.

Reminds me of the tommy john topics in baseball...somehow with all the advancements in sports medicine and training the load is always getting lessened.
I would think if any athletes would be able to handle the rigors it would be the modern group.

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Would like to add also to vic's statement....i dont agree at all about the rb's being ran into the ground.
Zekes highest rush attempts so far is 322...thats 21.5 ppg(15 games)

That would be emmitt's 7th highest season
Plus LT, eddie george, edgerrin james and lots of other backs have done that plus more and had 9 years or longer career.

Reminds me of the tommy john topics in baseball...somehow with all the advancements in sports medicine and training the load is always getting lessened.
I would think if any athletes would be able to handle the rigors it would be the modern group.

You're making a static argument in a dynamic situation.  There weren't many DE/OLB's 20 years ago that were 250-275 lbs that were running 4.4's.  The baseball argument is thrown out the window, as much of the problem with Tommy John topics revolves around specialization and year-round baseball.  If those kids weren't pitching 11 months out of the year, many of their arms would be in better shape.  

The changes in the game of football are stark.  Emmitt taking a hit from Gilbert Brown is a whole lot different than Zeke taking hits from Aaron Donald.  Kinetic energy and what not.  (Emmitt didn't take many head on hits either, until later in his career).  

• Like 1