Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

3 hours ago, Hate said:

All the best coaches would then go to the teams that give them the best chance to win. The salary cap is part of why the NFL is great. Pretty much any team can win if they draft well and hire good coaches...and if they get lucky with drafting a great QB.

Why doesn’t that happen in MLB? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but why doesn’t it? I know baseball is a game that has a lot more randomness, but it seems like that would happen in baseball.

9 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I just want the cowboys to be able to maximize being the wealthiest franchise in sports lol. I haven’t put a lot of thought into this. 

would it be a violation for Jerry to just hire zeke’s mom to work remotely from her house as a “consultant” and pay her $10MM a year?  seems like that could help negotiations.

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Why doesn’t that happen in MLB? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but why doesn’t it? I know baseball is a game that has a lot more randomness, but it seems like that would happen in baseball.

1) baseball these days is almost all analytics based and the manager has much less influence than the GM with winning. It's how a relatively new and green manager like Alex Cora can steamroll to a title. 

2) baseball gives teams a lot more control over young prospects and players for longer than the NBA and NFL do. The players in baseball also respect the rules and contracts and you don't hear of holdouts and players breaking the rules of the contracts like every semi elite NFL player who comes up on a year or two before free agency does. 

The NBA is the example of how to really fuck it all up. They've let the players run the league and now it's very quickly becoming a league of 5 or so teams located in markets young black men want to live/play having a chance. After what Durant did to OKC, Kawhi did to SA, Westbrook/George did to OKC, and now Davis did to NO the Pandora's box is open and it's going o be the death of the small market teams unless the NBA gives team a much longer and bigger financial control over players they draft regardless of superstar status. 

The funny thing is as true fans of a team you should always side with ownership dominating the players union in every sport. Players getting too much power and control always leads to a small handful of choice destination teams running the entire league. European soccer leagues are insanely terrible to watch because of it. It's why they have Champions league and Europa league and for teams like Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, and even Man City the only thing that matters is Champions league. They barely celebrate their own domestic league titles anymore. 

46 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

1) baseball these days is almost all analytics based and the manager has much less influence than the GM with winning. It's how a relatively new and green manager like Alex Cora can steamroll to a title. 

2) baseball gives teams a lot more control over young prospects and players for longer than the NBA and NFL do. The players in baseball also respect the rules and contracts and you don't hear of holdouts and players breaking the rules of the contracts like every semi elite NFL player who comes up on a year or two before free agency does. 

The NBA is the example of how to really fuck it all up. They've let the players run the league and now it's very quickly becoming a league of 5 or so teams located in markets young black men want to live/play having a chance. After what Durant did to OKC, Kawhi did to SA, Westbrook/George did to OKC, and now Davis did to NO the Pandora's box is open and it's going o be the death of the small market teams unless the NBA gives team a much longer and bigger financial control over players they draft regardless of superstar status. 

The funny thing is as true fans of a team you should always side with ownership dominating the players union in every sport. Players getting too much power and control always leads to a small handful of choice destination teams running the entire league. European soccer leagues are insanely terrible to watch because of it. It's why they have Champions league and Europa league and for teams like Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, and even Man City the only thing that matters is Champions league. They barely celebrate their own domestic league titles anymore. 

Yep, and it's not a coincidence that the sport with the weakest players union(by a mile) is also the most popular. 

The franchise tag is responsible for QBs and other stars staying with the same team for most of their careers. This is the one thing that really sets the league apart. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Yep, and it's not a coincidence that the sport with the weakest players union(by a mile) is also the most popular. 

The franchise tag is responsible for QBs and other stars staying with the same team for most of their careers. This is the one thing that really sets the league apart. 

QBs not named Kirk Cousins very rarely play under the franchise tag.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

QBs not named Kirk Cousins very rarely play under the franchise tag.

That's because they know that the team will tag them and never let a star QB get to free agency. The tagged player knows he's assuming all the injury risk, so they compromise.

Kirk isn't a "star" and he's definitely the outlier. The threat of the tag is very powerful in negotiations.  

18 hours ago, C-Man said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of this but do you want an 8-10 team league or do you want one with 30+ teams?

Same handful of teams with top 3 quarterbacks or top 2 defenses have won the league since 2000. 

Edited by Blanton

I also think there are more than 8 really good head football coaches. Guys are coming up through the ranks every year. I just dont think 8 teams would dominate like y’all are saying. I think there would still be a decent amount of parity. Hell, we’d still probably fuck it up with an unlimited salary cap lol

1 hour ago, Blanton said:

Same handful of teams with top 3 quarterbacks or top 2 defenses have won the league since 2000. 

Yep. The AFC has been the worst. This entire decade, it is Patriots and Broncos. That makes up 7 of the AFC's appearances. And throw in the Ravens and Steelers for the other 2. Now the NFC this decade is the complete opposite. There have been 9 Super Bowls this decade. There have been 8 representatives. Seahawks are the only team to appear more than once.

I do the NFL is the best sport for a team to jump up to the top very quickly. Rams and Eagles both went from worst to first in one season. And I get it's an 'Any Given Sunday' league but from the overall perspective, it's not terribly hard to pick which teams will be there in the end. Last year, Pats/Rams/Chiefs/Saints were the best 4 teams all year long and it was clear after the first 4 or 5 weeks. And those were your final 4 teams. The top seeds win most of the time in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

mo claiborne is good.  he would be a great and cheap replacement for byron jones after this season.  I bet we could sign him to a very team-friendly three year deal.

Pass. No use in getting the band back together like we are doing with Witten. We moved on for a reason. Draft Jones' replacement in next year's draft.

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Even if he is, I’m sure Mo is trying to scrub his stint in Dallas from his memory all together. No way in hell he would want to come here.

he played very well his last two seasons here, when he wasn’t hurt.  he started 30 games in two years with the jets and played well there, too.  he’s not an all-pro but he’s a solid starter.  he has no problem with dallas.  if we can get him we should.  

this is just another example of why I should be getting paid to make these decisions and the rest of you will simply continue to aimlessly splatter this board every day with your nugatory and shameful observations.

6 hours ago, futureman said:

he played very well his last two seasons here, when he wasn’t hurt.  he started 30 games in two years with the jets and played well there, too.  he’s not an all-pro but he’s a solid starter.  he has no problem with dallas.  if we can get him we should.  

this is just another example of why I should be getting paid to make these decisions and the rest of you will simply continue to aimlessly splatter this board every day with your nugatory and shameful observations.

I think you should pay to actually suck Mike White’s cock rather than continue the virtual fluffing on this site.  

31 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I think you should pay to actually suck Mike White’s cock rather than continue the virtual fluffing on this site.  

Lol my friend.  he’s gonna be the talk of the NFL when he torches the league in the preseason.  then you’ll be the one begging to blow him. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

Lol my friend.  he’s gonna be the talk of the NFL when he torches the league in the preseason.  then you’ll be the one begging to blow him. 

He must just be a gamer then because he’s clearly behind Cooper rush in practice at every phase of being qb. And we all know how cooper rush looked 2 years ago in preseason. There’s a reason he’s still here. Only reason this is a battle is because they don’t want to think they wasted a 5th round pick a year ago. He might make the practice squad though.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

14 hours ago, Blanton said:

I quick counted this but the NFL has had 11 different teams win the SB since 2000.

Edited by C-Man

28 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I quick counted this but the NFL has had 11 different teams win the SB since 2000.

And how many of those Super Bowls were won outside of Brady, Roth., and a manning under center? Foles, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Flaco. All had insane defenses during their SB seasons. 

It’s the same shit every year. Franchise compiles a badass defense that can offset not having an elite QB, but wait, those defenses get blown up by free agency in the span of say 1-2 seasons. Other franchises can just plug and play with an elite QB. 

8 hours ago, Genco said:

Seeing you guys try to rebut futureman's Mike White shtick is like reading Simple Jack: The Message Board.

I hate myself every time I take the bait. I’m like the meme of the white kid with the vein bulging out of his head because he’s trying to hold back saying something. I can’t help myself sometimes. 

I hate how the story always changes, do they know the damn rules or not....it was reported for weeks that august 6th was cut off for zeke to get an accrued season...now its being said that since he is under contract until 2020(5th year option) zeke only needs to play 3 games this year to keep contract from carrying over until 2021

Wasnt it like 6 games for an accrued season in other situations?

So now they're saying it's not August 6th? This is some dumbass bullshit. It should be written in Black ink in the damn contracts or CBA. 

I hope the Cowboys don't cave on this shit. Make it be known that he has two years left he's expected to play them and if he doesn't then he'll be penalize to the fullest extent possible into the CBA. The owners need to beat this thing down now because they probably won't like their next tv contact negotiations now that cord cutting has become so popular. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

The owners need to beat this thing down now because they probably won't like their next tv contact negotiations now that cord cutting has become so popular. 

Yeah it really hurt them on the new Thursday Night FB package.

13 minutes ago, Genco said:

Yeah it really hurt them on the new Thursday Night FB package.

That deal was hammered out almost 2 years ago and in 2018 double the amount of people cut out than in 2017. 2019 is looking like another big loss so far. Now if the NFL leverages stuff like Slingtv, YouTube, etc in the negotiations they may be able to negate some of the effects but that isn't clear yet how effective it'll be. Just saying it's not a guarantee they'll increase their tv earnings next go around so might want to get a lid on this issue now before that happens. If all teams start holding pat to not negotiating with hold outs then the league will be better off in the long run for the owners and the fans. 

17 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Blake Jarwin is the guy. He would probably be better than Witten if Witten didn’t have Garrett wrapped around his finger. The Jarwin that we saw at the end of the year SHOULD play a lot more than the Witten we saw at the end of 2017.

Yeah, Jaws is the starter.  He's a stud.