Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yeah, I do it all the time, 25 is the only consistent one, along with 10 on occasion. I never get 6 or 44, I think I’m in a depression (not from the Cowboys) and there are a lot of trees in the area. 

Watching this game probably wouldn't help your depression that much.

I live on a high spot, I can also get the game on 42 out of Austin.

I felt like Rush looked fine. Didn’t look great, but I feel better about him after tonight than I did going into the game. He led us straight down the field before the half, and he had a few decent drives. One of his 3 and outs was off of a terrible drop by Johnson, on what would’ve been a nice catch and run. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We have a real backup QB problem.  Another reason Dak probably gets paid.  It's not that we don't have his successor on the roster, we don't have another competent NFL QB on the roster.  White probably needs to be cut and we need to sign a vet.

I wholeheartedly agree. If Dak goes down, we're toast.

I mean he looked better than last year when I thought he looked much worse than when he was a rookie.  At this stage, he should have command of the offense, even with the slight alterations, and look pretty good in preseason.  He didn't.  He looked okay.  If Rush had to start the entire season, how many wins could he get?  4?  Could White make it to halftime?

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I mean he looked better than last year when I thought he looked much worse than when he was a rookie.  At this stage, he should have command of the offense, even with the slight alterations, and look pretty good in preseason.  He didn't.  He looked okay.  If Rush had to start the entire season, how many wins could he get?  4?  Could White make it to halftime?

I guess my point is, I feel like if Dak had an injury that caused him to sit for the rest of a game and we had a 13-10 lead at halftime, or it’s a tie game (hypothetically speaking), I feel like Rush could get us through the rest of the game and give us a chance to win. If Dak goes down for the season, yes, the season is over. Problem is we would have to pay a backup more than Dak is currently making. That just isn’t going to happen. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

My bigger issue with not having another backup is the idea that Dak doesn’t have another QB with as much, or more experience as him in the qb room. Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, he helped a lot with daks progress his rookie year. I’d love to have a guy like that. A guy that knows his days as a starter are over, but he has a lot of experience starting meaningful games. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

25 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

I wholeheartedly agree. If Dak goes down, we're toast.

That's true for anyone in forever not named the Eagles. There's no one available now any better than Rush would be, so they'll just have to wait until waivers happen. What team has 3 QBs in camp that look better than Rush?

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

My bigger issue with not having another backup is the idea that Dak doesn’t have another QB with as much, or more experience as him in the qb room. Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, he helped a lot with daks progress his rookie year. I’d love to have a guy like that. A guy that knows his days as a starter are over, but he has a lot of experience starting meaningful games. 

Kinda like Kellen Moore or Jon Kitna?  The backup qb position comes down to money and Rush is cheap.  We aint winning any games if Dak goes down anyways.  We learned that lesson with Romo. 

Also, I felt encouraged by Rush last night.  He looked more like his rookie preseason as opposed to his god awful performance last year. 

Mike White should prob move to ps.  He's got some arm talent, but is miles away from being trusted in a game. 

13 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Kinda like Kellen Moore or Jon Kitna?  The backup qb position comes down to money and Rush is cheap.  We aint winning any games if Dak goes down anyways.  We learned that lesson with Romo. 

Also, I felt encouraged by Rush last night.  He looked more like his rookie preseason as opposed to his god awful performance last year. 

Mike White should prob move to ps.  He's got some arm talent, but is miles away from being trusted in a game. 

That’s fair, I agree on rush though, for the most part. He looked fine. I’d just feel a little better if he had ANY experience in a regular season game. But you’re right. He looked like 2017 cooper Rush, and that’s good enough to be the cheapest backup in the league 

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The Steelers have two legit backups. Ours are both terrible. Rush I guess has some backup potential but he should be third string at best right now. The other guy looked like a high school guy playing on a Make a Wish request.

Nope. Futureman told me Mike White is the future!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

FG kicker missing from 35 is ominous sign of things to come.  Even though first preseason game, think its a big red flag.

The narrative that the cowboys are going to use to try to spin this is that he went 3-4. But all his attempts were fucking chip shots, including the miss. They’re going to try to spin it and say last year he made 15 in a row or some shit, but he made 80% of his kicks, which puts him somewhere around 25th in the league for kickers. And most of his misses are from 45 and in. For a team that plays in so many close games every year, shit is unacceptable. I’d almost appreciate it if they just came out and said “look, alright. He’s the cheapest kicker in the league and he isn’t the worst statistically. We have to cut cost, and we can’t pay some of these other FA kickers”. They’d never do that cause it would wreck his confidence, but that has to be what’s going on. Matt Bryant missed one fg last year. One. He’s sitting on his couch right now waiting to help a team.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Why does it come down to money?  We have the cheapest starting QB in the league.  The most important positional group in the sport, we spend the least on.  It's a very different model than when we had Tony eating up 15-18% of the cap, then it may make some sense to go with a more cost effective option behind him.  But Dak makes peanuts and we have two developmental dopes behind him and we're praying he doesn't have an injury.  It's simply bad planning.  We had Weeden behind Romo because he was cheap, but he sucked.  We had Moore behind him because he was the teacher's pet.  We wasted more assets after Tony went down to trade for Cassel, who was somehow shittier than Weeden. 

If Dak went down, we'd be doing the same song and dance again and this is the last year in which Dak will be cheap so it's even more of a risk.  But if he went down, we'd do the same dumb bullshit again.  Roll with Cooper as he goes 0-2 and then trade for some has been like Paxton Lynch and piss away the season because they wouldn't go out and spend 1.2 million more on someone like Tranny or Barkley, or a little 2 million more for a Colt.  It appears we didn't learn any lessons when Tony went down except to hope the next QB was a bit more stout.  And it's not about the backup QB being really good, it's about them being competent, which is not something Cooper Rush looked like last season.  He was a little better last night so have to hope he improves after taking steps back last year.

Backup QB groupings (Cooper is the bottom group):

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/28/18628195/nfl-backup-quarterbacks-ranking-2019