Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

10 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Look at it this way: A $34 million new-money annual average on a four-year extension becomes for Prescott a five-year, $138 million contract. That gives the deal an average of $27.6 million at signing, putting Prescott only $100,000 per year ahead of 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who relative to Prescott hasn’t done much during Garoppolo’s time in the NFL.

Teams will still want credit for the remaining year(s) on the existing deal, and that’s fine. But Prescott will come off as unreasonable if the media and public regard his proposal as carrying a value of $34 million per year. Viewing the contract as falling between Garoppolo ($27.6 million per year at signing) and Kirk Cousins ($28 million per year at signing) seems much more reasonable, if not (wait for it) team-friendly.

I get the math, and looking at it this way makes some sense, though I wouldn't go as far a "team friendly." The QB market is crazy, that's just how it is. And if his agent is leaking this, it's likely his starting point, meaning they'll meet somewhere under that. 

38 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Dude, the guys on 105.3 constantly bitch about how shitty Garrett-Top is at coaching, how annoying it is that Jerry wants to keep him around, and are split just like this board on Dak.  They don’t suck up to Jerry just because they’re the radio home

And Broddeus has said for YEARS that this team is ultimately capped by Jason Garrett. He’s made the point for years that if you don’t win a super bowl within the first 5 years of being with a team, it probably isn’t going to happen. You could argue this is a new team just because we have an entirely new set of leaders now, but he is paid by the jones family and has been critical for years. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

It's the same shit every year. Everyone here is Cowboys media either directly working for Jones (Broaddus) or for their flagship station. They're in mini camps with zero pads, zero hitting, just going through motions and these media fucks are blowing it up like you can tell shit about them from that setting. 

They'll kiss their ass now, kiss their ass at training camp, and in the regular season it's 50/50 whether the team will suck or not. 

If healthy, Randall Cobb will be much better than Cole Beasley could ever be.

9 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yup. No way around it after wentz got his money. We’re kinda fucked, ladies. I’m finally crossing over. I think you have to play the franchise tag game until we’re all blue in the face. Or at least until he proves without a shadow of a doubt that he can carry this team if it came down to it. I love me some Dak. A lot more than most. Paying him $34 mil a year, at this stage in his career, with all the unknown would just be fucking stupid IMO. It might work out, it might not. But that’s the problem. If we pay him that much and he stays an 8-16ish qb like he is right now, we might as well be the Marvin Lewis Bengals. Good enough to stay in playoff contention every year, but not good enough to be taken seriously as an actual championship contender. I just can’t believe it’s gotten to this point. I feel like 28-30 mil would’ve gotten it done before wentz’s deal. Now we’re gonna drag this thing out, Goff might get paid, and the price will go up even more.

That's where I've been for quite some time. I'd rather *have* to pay more next year IF he shows he's capable of carrying this team than give him a whole bunch of guaranteed money at this moment.

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

A big part of the problem is that notion of the QB of the Cowboys being a marquee position in all of sports right up with Yankees shortstop. The media and Jones family perpetrate it and guys like Romo and Dak start thinking they should get top of the league money because they're in such a marquee spot even though they aren't top 10 in the league in their position. 

Except that Romo was a Top 5 NFL QB for a good stretch of his career.

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Except that Romo was a Top 5 NFL QB for a good stretch of his career.

It’s almost impossible to compare the two at this stage in their careers. Romo was sitting back, watching and learning in year 3. Then he stepped into a situation where he had arguably the 3rd best wr of all time right in the middle of his prime, with a strong running game, and a good defense. Dak was forced into action from day one and stepped the fuck up. No chance Romo could’ve done that. And he just now got a wr that you could consider even half the wr that TO was. For all his warts, TO was fucking next level great for that stretch of being on the eagles and then the cowboys. I take anything Dak did before cooper with a grain of salt. The position we put him in at the start of last year was indefensible. We thought we could do wr by committee and copy what Seattle did, but Seattle had one of the best defenses ever. 

We would know a lot more about Dak and his actual potential if he had a real #1 wr before halfway through the season last year. A year where he didn’t even get to spend training camp with his #1. Think about the history of the NFL. How often do you see a wr get traded mid season and have the type of success cooper had in terms of impacting an offense. You have to give Dak more time with cooper before you can form an actual opinion on his upside. The problem is, we have to pay him before we actually know what that upside is.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, slorch said:

These media reports are basically coming out saying, "Show me a loss..."

LOLz.   It's PRACTICE, man...

Player: "It's practice man. We talkin' about practice!"

Fans: "Lazy, entitled prick."

Media: "Young guy is looking great in practice, really showing development and effort"

Fans: "It's practice man. We talkin' about practice!"

• Like 1

TO isn’t the 3rd best wr of all time, but it’s a fun talk.

He’s damned sure not the best WR in Cowboys history.  Then there’s a couple of mofos named Rice and Moss in the discussion.

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

TO isn’t the 3rd best wr of all time, but it’s a fun talk.

He’s damned sure not the best WR in Cowboys history.  Then there’s a couple of mofos named Rice and Moss in the discussion.

I said arguably (or at least I said that in my original TO take). I don’t necessarily think he is, but that’s just my opinion. The numbers don’t lie. The numbers would indicate that he probably is. That isn’t an opinion based thing, the numbers are the numbers. Plus, him balling the fuck out in the super bowl on a broken foot elevates him to another level IMO. That’s legendary shit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Dude, the guys on 105.3 constantly bitch about how shitty Garrett-Top is at coaching, how annoying it is that Jerry wants to keep him around, and are split just like this board on Dak.  They don’t suck up to Jerry just because they’re the radio home

Yeah, that's pretty much the truth.  Only Mickey is truly a Cowboys homer and the only one you basically ignore.

And yes TO was/is a Top 5 WR all time, there's not much anyone can say about that based on production and how he affected the entire offense(good and bad)

TO was a damned good WR, no doubt.  He had plenty of baggage, thus the number of teams he played for... the game has changed and so have the stats.  I do believe he rightfully belongs in the HoF, but no way could I ever agree that he is Top 3 pick at WR if you had one game to win, one season, or as a franchise player.

In the same vein of thought, how would you factor  in Dez Bryant, as he crosses both QBs’ careers.  So did Witten.   Granted, Romo got the more productive parts of their careers.

Edited by slorch

I would say that Romo had both the best of Dez and Witten and it's not close.  Dak had a good year(but definitely not one of his best) from Dez in 2016, and well...we all saw how much of a decline he had in 2017, and obviously Witten was a go 5-7 yards, catch the ball, and fall down TE by that point.

We're going to see what Dak can do with a really good WR corps this year.  Not only will he and Amari possibly be better, but I think Gallup makes a jump this year as Dak/Gallup seemed to really catch fire late in the year(after all the mid season misses), and I think if Cobb is healthy, he'll be a different kind of target than Cole was.  Plus I think Pollard will be active in the passing game as well.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

TO was a damned good WR, no doubt.  He had plenty of baggage, thus the number of teams he played for... the game has changed and so have the stats.  I do believe he rightfully belongs in the HoF, but no way could I ever agree that he is Top 3 pick at WR if you had one game to win, one season, or as a franchise player.

In the same vein of thought, how would you factor  in Dez Bryant, as he crosses both QBs’ careers.  So did Witten.   Granted, Romo got the more productive parts of their careers.

Dez always relied solely on his athleticism. He never turned into a student of the game the way that a Larry Fitzgerald did. From the moment he was drafted to the moment we paid him, he was always the best athlete on the field. Romo would throw him open sometimes, but at times he would also just say “fuck it, I’m gonna let the best athlete on the field make a play.” When he was in his prime, it wasn’t a 50/50 ball. It was more like a 70/30 ball in Dez’s favor. As soon as he got paid, he started having foot/ankle injuries and it sapped his athleticism. Dak wasn’t in a position where he felt comfortable throwing someone open or throwing 50/50 balls. He would always tell Dez “no fuck that, you need to get yourself open” and Dez never really learned how to do that. Then we had a slew of WRs that couldn’t beat 1 on 1 coverage. Then you trade for Amari Cooper, a guy that’s just a fucking technician of a route runner, and look at the difference. Dak starts playing with more confidence because he knows every time cooper has 1 on 1 coverage, it’s the easiest decision he’s ever had to make in his career. Then they start doubling cooper and it opens things up for everyone else. It’s unfortunate, because on numerous occasions, Michael Gallup was inches away from being in the ROTY conversation. They barely missed on some of those deep passes. I think that can improve over time. It’s the first true deep threat Dak has had in his NFL career. 

My main point is, ANYONE who is on either side of this argument has no idea wtf they’re talking about...yet. We don’t have enough real evidence yet. We know he’s not Patrick fucking mahomes, but he might absolutely be good enough to carry us eventually. I just can’t definitively say that yet. I can say that about Wentz if he’s healthy because he’s flashed it. He hasn’t been that guy consistently, but he’s flashed being an MVP caliber player. However, A LOT has changed since then (most notably Frank Reich accepting the HC job in Indy). Dak hasn’t flashed that yet. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

You're crazy if you don't think he wasn't throwing to Dez because he wasn't open.  Dak has had drilled into him to be safe with the football, especially those first 2 years when Dez was here.  It's not surprising they never clicked for exactly the reasons youdunn'fdup said.

• Like 2

Dez always relied solely on his athleticism. He never turned into a student of the game the way that a Larry Fitzgerald did. From the moment he was drafted to the moment we paid him, he was always the best athlete on the field. Romo would throw him open sometimes, but at times he would also just say “fuck it, I’m gonna let the best athlete on the field make a play.” When he was in his prime, it wasn’t a 50/50 ball. It was more like a 70/30 ball in Dez’s favor. As soon as he got paid, he started having foot/ankle injuries and it sapped his athleticism. Dak wasn’t in a position where he felt comfortable throwing someone open or throwing 50/50 balls. He would always tell Dez “no fuck that, you need to get yourself open” and Dez never really learned how to do that. Then we had a slew of WRs that couldn’t beat 1 on 1 coverage. Then you trade for Amari Cooper, a guy that’s just a fucking technician of a route runner, and look at the difference. Dak starts playing with more confidence because he knows every time cooper has 1 on 1 coverage, it’s the easiest decision he’s ever had to make in his career. Then they start doubling cooper and it opens things up for everyone else. It’s unfortunate, because on numerous occasions, Michael Gallup was inches away from being in the ROTY conversation. They barely missed on some of those deep passes. I think that can improve over time. It’s the first true deep threat Dak has had in his NFL career. 

My main point is, ANYONE who is on either side of this argument has no idea wtf they’re talking about...yet. We don’t have enough real evidence yet. We know he’s not Patrick fucking mahomes, but he might absolutely be good enough to carry us eventually. I just can’t definitively say that yet. I can say that about Wentz if he’s healthy because he’s flashed it. He hasn’t been that guy consistently, but he’s flashed being an MVP caliber player. However, A LOT has changed since then (most notably Frank Reich accepting the HC job in Indy). Dak hasn’t flashed that yet. 
Dak was damn near a MVP his rookie year. So he showed it too. He had his team 13-3. And he played in an offense that is predicated on the mid 90s style that revolves around the OL and run game. He didn't have the flashy numbers but his rookie year he was fucking great and efficient as you can ask for.

Everyone likes to diminish what he does and say it's all Zeke. But do we know what Zeke would be with a backup QB? Nope. I'm betting he takes a dip in production. When your offense is designed to run to set up the pass and counts on having a highly talented bell cow doing it, of course the offense will be worse when that focal point is out. Especially since this staff has no idea how to adjust accordingly. See 2015, 2017.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dak was damn near a MVP his rookie year. So he showed it too. He had his team 13-3. And he played in an offense that is predicated on the mid 90s style that revolves around the OL and run game. He didn't have the flashy numbers but his rookie year he was fucking great and efficient as you can ask for.

Everyone likes to diminish what he does and say it's all Zeke. But do we know what Zeke would be with a backup QB? Nope. I'm betting he takes a dip in production. When your offense is designed to run to set up the pass and counts on having a highly talented bell cow doing it, of course the offense will be worse when that focal point is out. Especially since this staff has no idea how to adjust accordingly. See 2015, 2017.

Dak had one of the best rookie seasons for a qb in the history of the NFL. With that being said, from the moment Zeke has stepped foot on an NFL field, he’s been a top 3 rb every single year. Probably the best rb in the league, but I won’t argue with you if you said Bell (before last year). Dak won ROTY, but that really should’ve been Zeke’s award. Right now, he’s what makes the offense go. When people talk about how RBs shouldn’t be drafted that high, I agree, but when you end up with a guy like Zeke, it’s hard to say that was anything but a home run pick. He made a franchise completely forget about an offensive player of the year and rushing champion in the blink of an eye. As a rookie. We knew he was better than Murray his rookie season lol. I love Dak, but c’mon man. I get what you’re saying, and maybe I’m not giving Dak enough credit (even though I’ve never heard anyone tell me that lol), but he hasn’t proven that he can get the job done without a good running game and a #1 wr. He hasn’t necessarily proven that he can’t do it, or that he won’t ever be able to do it, but we just don’t have enough evidence.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

You seem like the type of guy who would end up with Case Keenum or Ryan Fitzpatrick as the team's QB.  You'd be doing a lot of due diligence on Blake Bortles because he'd be cheap.

case keenum has played in an NFC championship and ryan fitzpatrick is unequivocally a better quarterback than dak at everything that doesn’t involve tucking the ball and running like a fullback.  

dak. fucking. sucks. 

jerry is a goddamn loon but something tells me he’s got enough sense not to implode the entire fucking team so dak can be an overpaid overrated dumb motherfucker.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

case keenum has played in an NFC championship and ryan fitzpatrick is unequivocally a better quarterback than dak at everything that doesn’t involve tucking the ball and running like a fullback.  

dak. fucking. sucks. 

jerry is a goddamn loon but something tells me he’s got enough sense not to implode the entire fucking team so dak can be an overpaid overrated dumb motherfucker.

What u mean?

Futureman,

all reports right now are saying that your boy looks like shit out at practice. Both on the field and commanding the huddle. I’m rooting for him, cause I think he should be better than Rush. Plus we drafted him in the 5th round so I hope we didn’t just waste that pick. But right now, he’s still behind Rush, even though they’re basically begging him to take the job.

• Like 1

Futureman,
all reports right now are saying that your boy looks like shit out at practice. Both on the field and commanding the huddle. I’m rooting for him, cause I think he should be better than Rush. Plus we drafted him in the 5th round so I hope we didn’t just waste that pick. But right now, he’s still behind Rush, even though they’re basically begging him to take the job.
He's a gamer...he doesnt worry himself with practice

QB salaries go ape shit, the NFL cap is gonna adjust. Not gonna be a huge deal. It's a QB league and the NFL is gonna let them get paid.
Exactly. In a few years, the cap will be even higher. It's all about the percentage of the cap. $34mill a year will be ordinary pretty soon.
  • Like 1

Not only that, but when/if they get the deal done before the season, you have to add in his 2 mil salary this year to the total deal(agents and media will only a team the “new money”, not total money) and that will significantly drop his annual average to around 27-28. Which is what even the most ardent anti Dak guy would find reasonable.

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not only that, but when/if they get the deal done before the season, you have to add in his 2 mil salary this year to the total deal(agents and media will only a team the “new money”, not total money) and that will significantly drop his annual average to around 27-28. Which is what even the most ardent anti Dak guy would find reasonable.

so $4 mm  more  than Andrew Luck for the 2019 season?

seems reasonable as hell.  Actually surprised Jerrah hasn't jumped at the chance to spend it.

You people are freaking high as fuck.  and it isn't about being "anti-Dak."  I like him as a player and for who he is.  he just isn't worth that spend; regardless of the gorilla math you try to use to rationalize it.

Edited by slorch

How many championships has Andrew Luck won? He's 30, he's put in his time, he was a first pick. At least Dak was cheap for four years. And Luck's contract is relatively affordable today because his extension was done on 2016. Now it's chicken feed by NFL QB star standards.

When Luck's contract runs out in 2021 his next one is going to make Dak's contract look like the average income of Vic's POF dating prospects, and some GM that thinks he's one QB away from Lombardi will back up the truck for Luck's pedigree.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

seems reasonable as hell.  Actually surprised Jerrah hasn't jumped at the chance to spend it.

You people are freaking high as fuck.  and it isn't about being "anti-Dak."  I like him as a player and for who he is.  he just isn't worth that spend; regardless of the gorilla math you try to use to rationalize it.

Extremely racist...
  • Like 1

How many championships has Andrew Luck won? He's 30, he's put in his time, he was a first pick. At least Dak was cheap for four years. And Luck's contract is relatively affordable today because his extension was done on 2016. Now it's chicken feed by NFL QB star standards.
When Luck's contract runs out in 2021 his next one is going to make Dak's contract look like the average income of Vic's POF dating prospects, and some GM that thinks he's one QB away from Lombardi will back up the truck for Luck's pedigree.

Luck’s contract isn’t going to expire before they redo it. He’ll be the highest paid QB very soon.
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

Futureman,

you are fake news. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, slorch said:

If you think 27-28 million a year isn't a fair price for Dak, then the only people that are completely irrational are you and anyone who think Dak is worth less than Cousins and Garropollo.

And Luck will very easily be one of the 3 highest paid QB's by next season.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:57 AM, slorch said:

Do you understand how any of this shit works? Who fucking cares what Luck is making. Every contract gets outdated as the years go by. Stafford was the highest paid ever. Then others. And the next batch of QBs will make higher and so on and so on. What Luck is making right now is irrelevant. Especially as the team salary cap continues to rise. Everything is inflated in terms of the QBs. And this "well he is or isn't worth that" is pointless. QBs are going to continue to set records for their salary. 

Wentz just got a huge extension and the dude can't stay healthy and hasn't even taken one snap in the playoffs. And no one bats an eye.

In 2-3 years, Dak's new contract will be outdated. And he will count even less percentage wise as the salary cap will always continue to rise. The NFL is all about the QBs and they will allow these teams to pay the most important players in the league without depleting the rest of their team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do you understand how any of this shit works? Who fucking cares what Luck is making. Every contract gets outdated as the years go by. Stafford was the highest paid ever. Then others. And the next batch of QBs will make higher and so on and so on. What Luck is making right now is irrelevant. Especially as the team salary cap continues to rise. Everything is inflated in terms of the QBs. And this "well he is or isn't worth that" is pointless. QBs are going to continue to set records for their salary. 

Wentz just got a huge extension and the dude can't stay healthy and hasn't even taken one snap in the playoffs. And no one bats an eye.

In 2-3 years, Dak's new contract will be outdated. And he will count even less percentage wise as the salary cap will always continue to rise. The NFL is all about the QBs and they will allow these teams to pay the most important players in the league without depleting the rest of their team.

Lemme put it in terms you can understand...

if one chick eats all of the ho-hos and mayonaise.

the other bitches gonna leave.

You really have no concept of how the cap works.  The Cowboys will sign the guys they should sign, and let the guys they should let walk go, all the while replacing them with draft picks and bargain bin FA's as they have done lately, and seem to be pretty good at finding.

You are stuck on the amount Dak is being paid and now at how to build the team.  Dak will get what he's earned and deserves, and it will NOT hurt the team financially in the long run, provided he doesn't turn into Wentz and can't play 5-6 games a year.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

You really have no concept of how the cap works.  The Cowboys will sign the guys they should sign, and let the guys they should let walk go, all the while replacing them with draft picks and bargain bin FA's as they have done lately, and seem to be pretty good at finding.

You are stuck on the amount Dak is being paid and now at how to build the team.  Dak will get what he's earned and deserves, and it will NOT hurt the team financially in the long run, provided he doesn't turn into Wentz and can't play 5-6 games a year.

I absolutely understand how the cap works. 

We disagree on something. It doesn’t make one person an idiot. or the other a genius. 

Basically when you have nothing else,   You go to the personal insults. Take a step back bro. Have a ho-ho with Vic. 

20 hours ago, slorch said:

I absolutely understand how the cap works. 

We disagree on something. It doesn’t make one person an idiot. or the other a genius. 

Basically when you have nothing else,   You go to the personal insults. Take a step back bro. Have a ho-ho with Vic. 

Where was there a personal attack?  Saying you have no concept of how the cap works, and for the record, you don't, is not a personal attack.   That's not calling you stupid, or an idiot.  I don't resort to that crap except for idiots like Rex when he changed his user name and still keeps following me around saying stupid shit.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Where was there a personal attack?  Saying you have no concept of how the cap works, and for the record, you don't, is not a personal attack.   That's not calling you stupid, or an idiot.  I don't resort to that crap except for idiots like Rex when he changed his user name and still keeps following me around saying stupid shit.

I do understand the cap.  It doesn't require some 300 IQ or some shit.

Stop slapping yourself on the back with such high intellectual achievements.   

Acting as if overpaying for Dak is some great fucking deal isn't intelligence.  It's seeking a desired outcome to a problem.  

Neither you nor I will be proven correct or incorrect until about 5-6 years from now.

Edited by slorch

Who said it does require some huge IQ?  Smart people don't understand shit sometimes, especially if it's not in their lane.  Plus, you still haven't said where I "personally attacked" you as you claimed(which is more proof of you losing the argument IMO).

And you still said we'd be "overpaying" Dak, which in my opinion, and many others, would NOT be the case at all.  Continuing to pretend it is does is making a problem that shouldn't exist.

And you're right, neither of us will be proven right or wrong...but acting like you know better and I don't is doing exactly what you accused me of earlier.

• Like 1