Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

34 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Does anyone else think if a couple of prominent white players came out in support of using weed instead of opiates the NFL rule would be changed? 

See, the problem is the white players that use it like Chris Long aren't complete idiots like Randy Gregory and David Irving. They know they only get tested once a year and it's in the off-season so they just stop smoking a couple months before. If you're only using it as medicine for the physical grind of the season you shouldn't need it in the off-season anyway. 

I hope the NFL keeps the ban on it. It weeds out the complete fucking morons like Gregory, Irving and Josh Gordon. 

Screenshot-20190524-195208-Google.jpg

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Does anyone else think if a couple of prominent white players came out in support of using weed instead of opiates the NFL rule would be changed? 

See, the problem is the white players that use it like Chris Long aren't complete idiots like Randy Gregory and David Irving. They know they only get tested once a year and it's in the off-season so they just stop smoking a couple months before. If you're only using it as medicine for the physical grind of the season you shouldn't need it in the off-season anyway. 

I hope the NFL keeps the ban on it. It weeds out the complete fucking morons like Gregory, Irving and Josh Gordon. 

Were going to look back 10 or 20 years from now and say “I can’t believe there were players that essentially got banned from the NFL for smoking weed. I get what you’re saying, but weed is so fucking harmless if used in moderation (like anything else). Helps a lot of guys sleep, helps with anxiety for some people. I just don’t understand what the NFL was even going for when they thought including weed in the drug program was a good idea. MLB doesn’t even test for it if I’m not mistaken.

4 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

this is poor trolling.  you should be fucking ashamed. 

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Were going to look back 10 or 20 years from now and say “I can’t believe there were players that essentially got banned from the NFL for smoking weed.

They weren't banned for smoking weed. They were banned for being idiots who couldn't control their totally nonaddictive weed habit per league rules, even though they knew it would cost them millions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

totally nonaddictive weed habit per league rules, 

weed can absolutely be addictive you fucking retarded fossil.  psychological addictions can be more consuming than physical ones.  randy gregory is an addict in every sense of the word.  

weed can absolutely be addictive you fucking retarded fossil.  psychological addictions can be more consuming than physical ones.  randy gregory is an addict in every sense of the word.  
Have you ever sucked dick for weed...booo this man

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Gregory is not using it for the physical grind of the season. He’s using it for mental health reasons unrelated to football that don’t dissipate in the off season. 

3 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

So why are the cowboys not in on McCoy...we need a DT
Dont wanna spend the $$$, not a fit???

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I don’t know the money situation, but you’re really putting a lot of eggs in the Trystan Hill basket. McCoy would be a solid contributor in the rotation. 

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Makes no sense. Suh, who just wrecked the cowboys shit in the playoffs, signed a 1 year approx. 9 mil deal. Cowboys could have easily paid out that for this one season since Dak is still dirt cheap for one more. They should be signing these guys and going all in on this one year window and instead they're throwing all the eggs in the basket of a rookie who pissed off his coaches so much in college he didn't even start. 

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Gregory is not using it for the physical grind of the season. He’s using it for mental health reasons unrelated to football that don’t dissipate in the off season. 

It didn't work.

On 5/25/2019 at 1:55 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I don’t know the money situation, but you’re really putting a lot of eggs in the Trystan Hill basket. McCoy would be a solid contributor in the rotation. 

Idk, id rather trust the home grown process and allow Hill to grow and earn minutes in the rotation as opposed to overpaying an aging McCoy

Idk, id rather trust the home grown process and allow Hill to grow and earn minutes in the rotation as opposed to overpaying an aging McCoy
Im not saying overpay him...but atleast bring him in to talk and see how much he wants to actually play for a winner...mccoy,dlaw and quinn plus hill might be enough to get us over the hump before we have to pay everyone

Dak can get you there if everything else is perfect.

He's not a game changer...at least not consistently. he's damned sure not good enough to overcome the Ginger's inadequacies.

Players can improve...we'll see.   I am not a believer, personally.

Edited by slorch

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, TornACL said:

He looks drunk as shit, but I don't see the "aggressive" part. He looks like he's got the wobbles. He was either drunk as hell or high as shit. Wandering around aimlessly like a motherfucker. 

Does Junior Miller = Drew ?

Wait...what?  Dude if anything I'm accused of being a homer to Cowboys Players, jesus that dudes a clown.  At least you know where I stand on t his shit.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, Nicole44 said:

That’s an insult to Drew. I would imagine

It is.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, Nicole44 said:

Everyone always fights on this thread. Why? It just seems like such a waste. Just drive to Frisco and wait for Double J outside the Star and pop him in the nuts.

Ok, that's funny.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

This might be the worst thread on the whole internet. Jeebus

Close

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

I find it kind of funny that literally everyone is picking the eagles to win this division, even though Carson Wentz is like 1-4 against Dallas for his career (the one being a zeke suspension game. I get that they have the advantage at HC, and QB if you can guarantee that wentz is healthy, but top to bottom I feel like our roster shits on theirs. This team rarely handles expectations well, so hopefully this eagles love continues and we can fly under the radar as much as a division champion cowboys team possibly can.

Yep, I can't see them not giving Dallas even some play in that regard.  It's ridiculous.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:44 PM, Bone3421 said:

They're probably happy with the DL.  The DT spot isn't some drastic need, especially with the resources spent on Hill and a few others.  They'll already have a hell of a time making cuts there...it's one of the strengths of the team now.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Doesn't fit any kind of narrative.  Fake News.

18 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So is everyone on board with paying day and locking him up then turning to Zeke and amari, then to jaylon, Byron, the rest?

Or are people stuck on dak can’t get us there blah blah blah?

I'm not on board with them paying Zeke Gurley money myself.  Picked up his 5th year.  Franchise him for his 6th...then Franchise him/trade him the next year to get something for him and let some other team pay for him for his last 2 good years before falling off as most RB's do

11 hours ago, slorch said:

Dak can get you there if everything else is perfect.

He's not a game changer...at least not consistently. he's damned sure not good enough to overcome the Ginger's inadequacies.

Players can improve...we'll see.   I am not a believer, personally.

No, he can get you there if other things go right, like most QB's.  You know guys like Rodgers and Brees have only gotten to a SB once right?  He doesn't have to be a "game changer" like Mahomes probably is, but I'd bet even he only gets there a few times himself.

The fact is a bunch of things have happened that have helped and hurt this team, and Dak is NOT on the latter list.  We're acting like a 3rd year QB who was a late draft pick is a finished product for some reason.  And as much as we bitch about coaching, the Dak haters conveniently leave coaching issues out when complaining about Dak, when it's OBVIOUS he's been held back by offensive design and play calling, and he usually steps up late because that's when he HAS too, or the coaches let him fling it around and play more of his style.

• Like 1

Dak is not remotely in the same freaking area code of QB ability of Rodgers or Brees. 

Best football laugh in quite some time.  ‘Dak’s no MVP, but he’s as good as most everyone else.’

No he is not. 

Edited by slorch

20 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So is everyone on board with paying day and locking him up then turning to Zeke and amari, then to jaylon, Byron, the rest?

Or are people stuck on dak can’t get us there blah blah blah?

They can't pay everyone. They will pay Dak and he will be grossly over paid for his ability on the field. They have to pay Cooper otherwise they wasted a first round pick, and they know now Dak needs an elite receiver to not be a complete trash QB. I would let Zeke walk after a Franchise tag year, and that's maybe why they drafted as many running backs as they did this year trying to hit a homerun so Zeke is easily expendable. 

I don't see any way they can pay Jones. Also unless he's willing to take a discount I don't know how they're going to be able to pay jaylon Smith either. Unless they get ridiculously good with the draft over the next several years on hitting elite defensive players they'll be back to Romo days of paying a ton of offensive talent and having crap defenses. Which will be a disaster because Dak had a top 10 defense this year and they couldn't win. With a crap defense they probably don't make the playoffs most years.  

10 hours ago, hundredTT said:

Zeke won’t be suspended, but he’s that dumb friend that just gets into stupid situations again and again. 

I’d agree with you if he didn’t have history getting suspended. He has to know that he can’t get caught on video doing anything that even resembles violence or acting aggressively towards women and/or someone in authority. It wasn’t much of anything, but it was just stupid enough that I bet Goodell tries to make an example out of him and say “this is what happens when you don’t learn your lesson after your first violence related suspension.”

This is why we can’t have nice things, guys. We really need to get serious about looking for a backup rb that has a little history of being successful in the league, cause I’m just waiting for this dumbass 4 game suspension to happen. Yeldon is still out there, Chris Ivory, bilal Powell, Jaquizz Rogers, etc. Kinda wish they would just announce it now so we don’t have to play this “maybe it won’t happen” game like we played 2 years ago. 

19 hours ago, slorch said:

Dak is not remotely in the same freaking area code of QB ability of Rodgers or Brees. 

Best football laugh in quite some time.  ‘Dak’s no MVP, but he’s as good as most everyone else.’

No he is not. 

Show me where ANYONE has ever said that.  Ever.  I said even greats like Rodgers and Brees have only been in a SB one time.  Just ONE TIME.  And they've only sniffed it a few more times than that.  My point is a LOT has to go right for ANY team to make the SB, so all the idiots saying "Dak isn't good, his supporting cast is", which is laughable BTW, are leaving out that it's ALWAYS the team, and not just the QB that wins games.

• Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, Drew said:

Show me where ANYONE has ever said that.  Ever.  I said even greats like Rodgers and Brees have only been in a SB one time.  Just ONE TIME.  And they've only sniffed it a few more times than that.  My point is a LOT has to go right for ANY team to make the SB, so all the idiots saying "Dak isn't good, his supporting cast is", which is laughable BTW, are leaving out that it's ALWAYS the team, and not just the QB that wins games.

I mean Drew Brees has won the NFC twice. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
I mean Drew Brees has won the NFC twice. 

Brees hasn't won the NFC in a decade. Rodgers hasn't won the NFC since 2010 season. Nearing a decade.

Brees won it literally this calendar year.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

Give me a list of qbs that you would say, definitively, are better than Dak. Don’t include guys that have played one season. Other than Mahomes, I need to see how you adjust to the league adjusting to you before I can give a firm opinion. We’ve seen plenty of qbs have one great season.

Rodgers, Brees, Brady, luck, rothlisberger, Rivers, Watson, Mahomes, Wilson. That’s the list of qbs that I would say, all variables being equal, are clearly better than Dak. Every other qb either needs a lot of things to go their way, or they haven’t proven they can be counted on from a staying healthy and being on the field stand point, or they aren’t “leaders” in the way that you would want your qb to be.

When Matt Ryan was at his best, he had arguably the most talented wr in the league in Julio Jones, a top 5 running game with prime devonte Freeman and Tevin Coleman, and an offense coordinator that was widely regarded as one of the best offensive minds in the game in Kyle Shanahan. A guy who turns every offensive into gold. Kyle shanahan leaves and a year later Matt Ryan has a bad season filled with a lot of empty stats. Same thing with last year.

Carson Wentz has looked MVP caliber for 1/3 of his career, average for another third, and injured for the last third. He could potentially make that jump, but he still has to actually fucking do it for an extended period of time. Oh, and stay on the field. Which is interesting, because a big part of what makes Wentz special (when he is special) is his mobility, so we’ll see if that’s something he can even continue over the next few years. He also had Frank Reich as his OC, and as we can see now, Frank Reich is a pretty damn good coach (See Indy). 

Matt Stafford and Kirk cousins are going to be guys that, at the end of their career, we’re going to say “are you sure they aren’t Hall of famers? Because their numbers say...” when we all know these guys are average qbs. Kirk Cousins walked into a dream situation. A situation that made Case Keemun look like a legit starting qb. A situation that has two #1 caliber WRs. He made them average. Matt Stafford has been surrounded with plenty of talent. I don’t care what anyone says. Winning and losing is bigger than just your qb, but something about these two guys just screams “loser mentality”.

Cam Newton had a small window where he was elite, now he’s beat up. 

My point is, there are tiers of qbs. Dak isn’t in that first tier, but he’s definitely in the 2nd tier along with all the guys I just listed above (as well as a few other guys). And he has as good a chance as anyone on that list to move up a tier if the stars align, and he continues to improve. You saw the obvious improvement when he got a number 1 wr for the first time in his career. You rarely see guys have that kind of success with a new qb when they were traded mid season. I would be really surprised if he didn’t take a big step this year now that he has a full offseason with a number 1 wr, with an upgraded group of WRs, heading into his 4th full season as qb for the toughest franchise to actually play qb for. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Zeke will get a game. Just to make a statement. 

Goose had an interesting point on with Norm this week. He said it will be real interesting if Goodell lets Kraft off with a hefty fine and no suspension and then turns around and starts suspending players like Zeke for this past transgression.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Goose had an interesting point on with Norm this week. He said it will be real interesting if Goodell lets Kraft off with a hefty fine and no suspension and then turns around and starts suspending players like Zeke for this past transgression.

That's true, but the question is what comparable punishment can you give to an owner that suspending for games give to a player? The only thing I can think of is docking draft picks, what that probably punishes the coaches and GM more than the owner. Unless you're fining him like a hundred million dollars it's difficult to get adequate punishment on an owner

2 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

That's true, but the question is what comparable punishment can you give to an owner that suspending for games give to a player? The only thing I can think of is docking draft picks, what that probably punishes the coaches and GM more than the owner. Unless you're fining him like a hundred million dollars it's difficult to get adequate punishment on an owner

That's exactly what Goose said -- take away draft picks.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Give me a list of qbs that you would say, definitively, are better than Dak. Don’t include guys that have played one season. Other than Mahomes, I need to see how you adjust to the league adjusting to you before I can give a firm opinion. We’ve seen plenty of qbs have one great season.

Rodgers, Brees, Brady, luck, rothlisberger, Rivers, Watson, Mahomes, Wilson. That’s the list of qbs that I would say, all variables being equal, are clearly better than Dak. Every other qb either needs a lot of things to go their way, or they haven’t proven they can be counted on from a staying healthy and being on the field stand point, or they aren’t “leaders” in the way that you would want your qb to be.

When Matt Ryan was at his best, he had arguably the most talented wr in the league in Julio Jones, a top 5 running game with prime devonte Freeman and Tevin Coleman, and an offense coordinator that was widely regarded as one of the best offensive minds in the game in Kyle Shanahan. A guy who turns every offensive into gold. Kyle shanahan leaves and a year later Matt Ryan has a bad season filled with a lot of empty stats. Same thing with last year.

Carson Wentz has looked MVP caliber for 1/3 of his career, average for another third, and injured for the last third. He could potentially make that jump, but he still has to actually fucking do it for an extended period of time. Oh, and stay on the field. Which is interesting, because a big part of what makes Wentz special (when he is special) is his mobility, so we’ll see if that’s something he can even continue over the next few years. He also had Frank Reich as his OC, and as we can see now, Frank Reich is a pretty damn good coach (See Indy). 

Matt Stafford and Kirk cousins are going to be guys that, at the end of their career, we’re going to say “are you sure they aren’t Hall of famers? Because their numbers say...” when we all know these guys are average qbs. Kirk Cousins walked into a dream situation. A situation that made Case Keemun look like a legit starting qb. A situation that has two #1 caliber WRs. He made them average. Matt Stafford has been surrounded with plenty of talent. I don’t care what anyone says. Winning and losing is bigger than just your qb, but something about these two guys just screams “loser mentality”.

Cam Newton had a small window where he was elite, now he’s beat up. 

My point is, there are tiers of qbs. Dak isn’t in that first tier, but he’s definitely in the 2nd tier along with all the guys I just listed above (as well as a few other guys). And he has as good a chance as anyone on that list to move up a tier if the stars align, and he continues to improve. You saw the obvious improvement when he got a number 1 wr for the first time in his career. You rarely see guys have that kind of success with a new qb when they were traded mid season. I would be really surprised if he didn’t take a big step this year now that he has a full offseason with a number 1 wr, with an upgraded group of WRs, heading into his 4th full season as qb for the toughest franchise to actually play qb for. 

I was thinking about that and I had Dak currently as the 14th at best to the 17th at worst ranked quarterback in the league. Above him I have:

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, Wilson, Mahomes, Goff, Rivers, Newton, Ryan, Trubisky, Mayfield, Wentz

Ones that might be better but it's borderline or yet uncertain: Watson, Garappollo, Mariotta

The problem is his ranking is strongly affected by his running ability. His arm accuracy from the pocket isn't top 22 to 25 QBs and it's his running that opens everything up for him. If they are scared to run him a lot after they pay him then I'd have him down probably another 7 to 10 slots. 

He should get paid about middle of the pack for starting QB money, especially if he's not going to be running much anymore after he makes too much money to risk him. 

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's exactly what Goose said -- take away draft picks.

It's very similar to what I thought would have been an adequate punishment for Cuban for the whole sexual harassment scandal. I think in both instances taking away the picks completely would be too harsh, but I was in favor of knocking Cuban's pick automatically down to the last lottery slot and I'd be in favor of punishing Kraft in a similar way by giving the Patriots the last slot in every round and taking away their compensation picks for one draft. 

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I was thinking about that and I had Dak currently as the 14th at best to the 17th at worst ranked quarterback in the league. Above him I have:

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, Wilson, Mahomes, Goff, Rivers, Newton, Ryan, Trubisky, Mayfield, Wentz

Ones that might be better but it's borderline or yet uncertain: Watson, Garappollo, Mariotta

The problem is his ranking is strongly affected by his running ability. His arm accuracy from the pocket isn't top 22 to 25 QBs and it's his running that opens everything up for him. If they are scared to run him a lot after they pay him then I'd have him down probably another 7 to 10 slots. 

He should get paid about middle of the pack for starting QB money, especially if he's not going to be running much anymore after he makes too much money to risk him. 

Trubisky and Goff “definitely” above him is laughable but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I also don’t think it’s as simple as “i have him ranked as the 14th best qb”. There are tiers. Different variables and different circumstances drastically change where these players would fall on any given list 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I think Goff is safely in front of Dak. He has better coaching but Dak had better offensive weapons around him and Goff was considerably better in 2018. 

Trubisky is close but I gave him the nod right now because he showed stuff with a far inferior supporting offensive cast around him compared to Dak. He needs more time to develop but if I was starting a team today is take him over Dak.