Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

1 minute ago, markstanco said:
56 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
Zeke is so fat...
5c9ccd0573af93f4827d5f36a363ec7b.jpg8867f1b3c7025b171d4df4602604109e.jpg

Read more  

Yea what's up with that on Twitter? I've seen some posts on him being fat in the off season. Ignorance here. Why are people saying he is fat if he isnt?

It all stemmed from internet dorks saying he was fat from this pic. To the point where he actually got on social media to address it.

58079750_10156883040260180_5439799697856

• Like 2

Zeke is built with a ton of power and speed in a compact frame. That’s going to make him look not-thin, people are dumb and water is wet.

On to real things to discuss,

I’m assuming the guard we drafted will be starting by the end of this season and will be a very good player for us.

Given that, it pushes us to one of two situations:

(1) Connor can play RT and we let Lael go

(2) Connor cannot and we are in a contract negotiation situation with Lael

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Zeke is built with a ton of power and speed in a compact frame. That’s going to make him look not-thin, people are dumb and water is wet.

On to real things to discuss,

I’m assuming the guard we drafted will be starting by the end of this season and will be a very good player for us.

Given that, it pushes us to one of two situations:

(1) Connor can play RT and we let Lael go

(2) Connor cannot and we are in a contract negotiation situation with Lael

3. Connor cannot and they let Lael go after this season and look for another RT in the next off-season. 

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A lot of it stems from he was heavily rumored to have been out of shape for TC last year so people are a bit concerned about his offseason regimen.

Not just last season. All three seasons he's mediocre to bad the first 3 games of the season. It's been so consistent you can set your calendar by it. Then game 4 he starts hitting stride. 

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Not just last season. All three seasons he's mediocre to bad the first 3 games of the season. It's been so consistent you can set your calendar by it. Then game 4 he starts hitting stride. 

exactly.  the proof is in the picture. he’s lazy and not putting in the work.  he can get away with it now because he’s young but he’s gonna flame out at 26

Dak isn't Brady/Rodgers/Brees. I like him, but he's 100 percent reliant on a dominant running game and at least 1 ace star receiver to be a playoff level QB. He isn't making any receivers better. 

Unless the cap goes up a ton to where that contract doesn't hinder their ability to have tons of talent around him I can't see how this coming season is the last legit chance they have at a title for a while. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, is it approaching 30 mil annually, or is it 30 mil annually? Because anything under 30 mil a year is a win for the cowboys, considering the current qb landscape. 

Everybody at 30 or above has been to a Super Bowl. Thanks to idiots that run the NFL, Kirk Cousins/Garoppolo make around 28 million. Thus, it is hard to make an argument to any somewhat competent QB that they shouldn't make just under 30.

• Like 1

Everybody at 30 or above has been to a Super Bowl. Thanks to idiots that run the NFL, Kirk Cousins/Garoppolo make around 28 million. Thus, it is hard to make an argument to any somewhat competent QB that they shouldn't make just under 30.
The cap goes up every year. Contracts at x amount back then does not equate to the value of that contract today. They are going to continue to rise until maybe the bottom falls out.

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Dak isn't Brady/Rodgers/Brees. I like him, but he's 100 percent reliant on a dominant running game and at least 1 ace star receiver to be a playoff level QB. He isn't making any receivers better. 

Unless the cap goes up a ton to where that contract doesn't hinder their ability to have tons of talent around him I can't see how this coming season is the last legit chance they have at a title for a while. 

While I think 30 million is too rich, by the time he gets to the first year, he'd probably be outside the top 6-8 in comp and in the meat of it with all the QBs coming up for new contracts, he'd settle in somewhere 10-15.  I think 23-25 with healthy incentives is very fair for both sides.  Like All-Pro incentives, small all games started incentive (unless game mgt issue), healthy SB started and SB won incentives, etc.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

While I think 30 million is too rich, by the time he gets to the first year, he'd probably be outside the top 6-8 in comp and in the meat of it with all the QBs coming up for new contracts, he'd settle in somewhere 10-15.  I think 23-25 with healthy incentives is very fair for both sides.  Like All-Pro incentives, small all games started incentive (unless game mgt issue), healthy SB started and SB won incentives, etc.

It's not very fair when Jimmy "Won Like 9 Games" Garoppolo and Kirk "Can't Beat Winning Teams" Cousins are getting 27.5 and 28 mil. 

Dak is getting around 30, no way in hell he signs for less than 28. 

• Like 1

19. Dallas Cowboys

Projected wins: 8.4
Chance to make playoffs: 44.2 percent

Where the team improved this offseason: Pass rush. The biggest move the Cowboys made was keeping DeMarcus Lawrence on a five-year, $105 million contract. Lawrence has 25 sacks the past two seasons. The next biggest was acquiring Robert Quinn in a trade from the Miami Dolphins. He had 6.5 sacks last season and will be motivated for a big 2019 entering the final year of his deal. Randy Gregory, who had six sacks last season, is currently suspended indefinitely, but the Cowboys have not given up hope he can play in 2019. Add in the current depth on the line with Tyrone Crawford, Maliek Collins, free-agent pickup Kerry Hyder and second-round pick Trysten Hill, and the Cowboys are as deep and talented along the front as they've been since Rod Marinelli joined the coaching staff in 2013. -- Todd Archer

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26686576/2019-nfl-power-rankings-projected-wins-playoff-chances-1-32

Edited by pacman

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

There isn’t a chance in hell his deal gets done for 23-25 mil a year, even with healthy incentives. The lowest I could see then agreeing to is 28 mil a year, and I think that’s fair for a guy that hasn’t missed a game in his career, and a guy that only trails Tom Brady in wins since he’s been in the league. He needs the team around him, but most guys need the team around them to be successful. 

"Struggled last year"?  What?  This is why you can't take national guys for shit.  They have NO idea that Rod Smith was used sparingly because Zeke was run into the ground.  That's not struggling, that's just not getting many opportunities.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Drew said:

"Struggled last year"?  What?  This is why you can't take national guys for shit.  They have NO idea that Rod Smith was used sparingly because Zeke was run into the ground.  That's not struggling, that's just not getting many opportunities.

We wouldn’t have drafted two RBs this year if he didn’t struggle. I bet they signed him for pennies. It is funny though, because he’s had like two really good games in his career, and both have been against the Giants. 

On 5/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, Junior Miller said:

fake junior miller’s first and probably last flawless post. 

Wow, Carr sure throws well in jeans and a polo. He must be a great QB! 

I'm more concerned with what happens in a helmet and pads. Just looking at completion percentage, in 2018 Carr was 6th at  68.9%. Dak was 10th at 67.3%. Not a big difference. 

Giving that stat some context with Yards Per Pass Thrown, Dak at 7.4(18th), Carr at 7.3(20). Again not a big difference. 

Dak's ahead in almost every other category like TDs, INTs, Yards, etc. 

11 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Wow, Carr sure throws well in jeans and a polo. He must be a great QB! 

I'm more concerned with what happens in a helmet and pads. Just looking at completion percentage, in 2018 Carr was 6th at  68.9%. Dak was 10th at 67.3%. Not a big difference. 

Giving that stat some context with Yards Per Pass Thrown, Dak at 7.4(18th), Carr at 7.3(20). Again not a big difference. 

Dak's ahead in almost every other category like TDs, INTs, Yards, etc. 

That's David Carr in the video, not Derek Carr. David has been out of the league since 2012 and last started a NFL game in 2007.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Just because other teams are making bad deals and paying QBs too much doesn’t mean Dallas should do it because “that’s the market rate now.”   That same logic got half of the NBA teams in trouble a few years ago by giving scrubs like Chandler Parsons, Kent Bazemore, and Timofey Mosgov massive deals.

Gagree. That's why I say let this season play out and see what happens with Dak. If he's already gonna cost $30M what could he possibly do -- outside of winning the Super Bowl -- that would bump him much higher than that plus an additional $5M? And if he face-plants, you can cut bait.

Dak has had a top 3 OL in the game, top 3 RB in the game, a top 10 defense in the game, and still couldn't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs. He needs to take less money to have all the talent possible around him or he'll get exposed. 

Part of that was also the sheer stupidity of the coach so not all on Dak, but if he's going to have a stubborn tone deaf carrot for a head coach that means he needs even more legit talent around him to win. 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

EDIT: Don't know how to share link from Facebook but there's clip of David Carr murdering Dak Prescott in an accuracy competition.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

That's David Carr in the video, not Derek Carr. David has been out of the league since 2012 and last started a NFL game in 2007.

Good thing Accuracy isn't the ONLY thing that matters

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I don't think arm talent was ever really the issue with David Carr.

Nope.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Just because other teams are making bad deals and paying QBs too much doesn’t mean Dallas should do it because “that’s the market rate now.”   That same logic got half of the NBA teams in trouble a few years ago by giving scrubs like Chandler Parsons, Kent Bazemore, and Timofey Mosgov massive deals.

I don't think it's even that.  It's the Market for QB's and the value of the position while the Cap increases quite a bit every year.  What you think are mediocre QB's will be getting 25-28 mil soon, and Dak at 30 mil won't even scratch the top 10 after 2 years, if that long in most cases.

23 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Dak has had a top 3 OL in the game, top 3 RB in the game, a top 10 defense in the game, and still couldn't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs. He needs to take less money to have all the talent possible around him or he'll get exposed. 

Part of that was also the sheer stupidity of the coach so not all on Dak, but if he's going to have a stubborn tone deaf carrot for a head coach that means he needs even more legit talent around him to win. 

Top 3 OL?  Have you watched this team since 2016?  They haven't been that high since Romo was walking the sideline.  And the defense, while good, isn't quite in the elite level yet...especially since they get NO turnovers. 

Yes he has a great RB, but for the love of God STOP trying to use all this against him.  We've seen bad QB's on this team with the same OL, Defense, and Weapons look like shit.  If you're still of the belief that Dak isn't even as good as Mike White, you really don't know shit about football.

Have you looked at NBA Contracts lately? They keep going up and so does the cap(not as much as they thought though).

The NFL, however, is not the NBA.  It'll be years before the bottom falls out, and honestly, it won't affect the deals that are happening now.

For the record I'm not advocating for a Dak 30 mil a year contract(and I'll contend that "mediocre" comment was about other QB's, not Dak who's well above that).  I'm just saying it's not a stupid thing like most are obviously thinking now, since he will get that, and it won't seem all that crazy in 2 years.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Yea, I think the cowboys should just sit this one out and not have a QB. Maybe we can draft one next year and 1-3 years later, he might be good.

But hey, at least they didn't spend 30 mil on a qb, am I right? 

Unlike the NBA, there's a single position that rules the game, QB. You don't have an average-to-good QB, you're dead. They can pretty much name their price and it's not going to change any time soon. In fact, it's only going to get worse. We're not far away from 40mil + QBs. 

There's no viable alternatives atm, and Dak has proven that he can win games, period. So yea, you go right ahead and buck the entire NFL and try to win games with a cheap/shitty QB. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

Already posted this in a recruiting thread, but thought s few Cowboy fans would be interested:

Back on April 28th my son met Tashard Choice at the airport in Austin.  Just now found out that he's the new RB coach and offensive recruiting coordinator for Georgia Tech......

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Already posted this in a recruiting thread, but thought s few Cowboy fans would be interested:

Back on April 28th my son met Tashard Choice at the airport in Austin.  Just now found out that he's the new RB coach and offensive recruiting coordinator for Georgia Tech......

Did Tashard get your son’s autograph?