Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

Illoka barely played last year in Minnesota despite Harrison Smith being injured for much last season.
Iloka was also hurt and didnt join vikings until mid august...and still started 3 games

I find it harder and harder to argue with other fanbases about us having the dumbest fans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Woods has improved every year and has a shot to be an excellent safety. There aren't many great safety tandems left (if any), so the combination of Heath/Frazier/lloka just need to avoid going full regard and it should be okay. 

Fucking this. And you would like to think that with additions like Quinn, and Hill, along with a healthy Malik Collins (for now), our front 7 should be as good as anyone’s in football.

And you’re right. I think Woods takes the next step in his development this year. Year 3, he’s improved every year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Iloka was also hurt and didnt join vikings until mid august...and still started 3 games

I find it harder and harder to argue with other fanbases about us having the dumbest fans

LOL

How exactly is getting to Minnesota in August a sufficient enough reason to only start 3 out of 16 games (by the way the Bengals cut him in August. He wasnt injured)? Sendejo (SS) was also injured much of last season as well. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

LOL
How exactly is getting to Minnesota in August a sufficient enough reason to only start 3 out of 16 games? Sendejo (SS) was also injured much of last season as well. 
Hmmm how is joining a team 2 weeks before season after doing all of off season programs and training camp with other team conducive to starting for another team while having a groin injury .... Did ha ha help skins after mid season trade?
Safety is one of the positions that you cant really just throw a guy out there...they need to be on the same page as other defensive backs especially in todays nfl

When he starts over heath and yall are loving him try to remember the crap some said about him in april
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Hmmm how is joining a team 2 weeks before season after doing all of off season programs and training camp with other team conducive to starting for another team while having a groin injury .... Did ha ha help skins after mid season trade?
Safety is one of the positions that you cant really just throw a guy out there...they need to be on the same page as other defensive backs especially in todays nfl

When he starts over heath and yall are loving him try to remember the crap some said about him in april

The entire reason he signed with Minnesota in the first place was due to his familiarity with Zimmer and his defense which mitigated his late signing. There were numerous articles by espn and Viking media last year wondering why rookies and 3rd year players were starting over him. My reservations about him may turn out to be all for not, but the idea that, as we stand now, he's a bona fide upgrade over Heath isn't based on anything other than sheer desire and wishful thinking given his previous 2 years. 

The entire reason he signed with Minnesota in the first place was due to his familiarity with Zimmer and his defense which mitigated his late signing. There were numerous articles by espn and Viking media last year wondering why rookies and 3rd year players were starting over him. My reservations about him may turn out to be all for not, but the idea that, as we stand now, he's a bona fide upgrade over Heath isn't based on anything other than sheer desire and wishful thinking given his previous 2 years. 
Thats the reason zimmer and vikings snatched him up quickly yes...but does that mean iloka was 100% from is groin injury or that he was on same page/chemistry as guys that worked together for months?

You look at your way and ill look at my way...but my way has more historical evidence supporting it...find me one injured player that changed teams from 2 weeks before season to week 8 that was a key contributor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

It's fashionable to be on the brownswagon these days, which is exactly why they probably disappoint. That, and Odell is a cancer.

What’s funny is, usually teams get one year where they have a surprise run to the playoffs and it feels like you’re playing with house money a little bit. The whole year is fun. Then the next year you have expectations. It’s starts becoming less “fun” watching the winning and more of a relief when you do what you’re supposed to do. The Browns are coming into the year of expectations without ever experiencing the fun ride to the post season. Because you’re right. If and most likely when they fall flat on their face next year, it’ll one of the main stories all year.

^^What are things Bill Belichick would never say.. Alex....
giphy.gif

Yeah that’s not what I said at all. I said why would anyone(meaning US) be worried about who they take that late. We have no idea who any of these guys are for the most part and they are worst than “hit or miss” guys.

Of course the team cares. And they took players they think can do something for them. In most cases those picks don’t amount to anything. The cowboys have a good track record with late round picks.

My point is why the fuck are we worried about a 7th rounder when in most cases with all teams those guys rarely even make the final 53.

They had to know Thornhill would not make it to their next pick. I am not so sure on Hill though. I suspect it was highly likely he would be available in the 3rd.

I also find it interesting that Stephen Jones has come out saying they do not value safeties and are comfortable with what they have. Wasn't it just a few years ago they said the same about Hill's position and are seemingly desperate to draft him this year because the position has performed average?

No they don’t value the 1 tech. No one does. It’s a 2 down player. They absolutely value Hill position. It’s the same one Collins and Crawford(who they paid a lot) play.

What the cowboys don’t value(like most teams if you look at the FA safety market) is box safety(which is the position that Heath plays and the guy you’re trying to replace).

• Like 1

I am actually fine witht the Cowboys building from the outside in and the idea of getting an explosive interior rusher. However,  I didn't love the Trysten Hill pick bc they could have gotten him later and his athletic measurables do not say explosive or athletic: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/trysten-hill?position=ATH.  If he were so athletic, why couldn't he start for a non-BCS school?  I do love the Connor McGovern pick!  I think he will have a long solid career after everything I have read.His measurables do scream stud athlete at guard or center: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/connor-mcgovern.  

Where the Cowboys really messed up their draft was in the fourth round picking up Tony Pollard, when they could have gotten him in the fifth and even the sixth round!  They missed out on picking what looks to be a total stud DE in John Cominsky (check out these measurables: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/john-cominsky).  Cominsky could have been the sleeper to make up for selecting Taco Charlton two years ago.  Taco Charlton has proven to be too slow and completely unexplosive to be a rush DE, which his measurables screamed: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/taco-charlton.  Here is a good read on how the Cowboys panicked on a run of RBs and may even have mistakenly handed in Tony Pollard's name instead of John Cominsky's name: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/28/18519791/after-the-dust-has-settled-how-do-you-feel-about-the-cowboys-eight-players-from-the-2019-nfl-draft

Also with Tony Pollard, the Cowboys spent 2 of their first 3 picks on guys who could not even start for their non-BCS teams.  This draft feels the most like their awful 2009 draft bc they drafted for backup depth and special teams instead of trying to find starters (Tony Pollard's greatest asset is having 7 kick return TDs when there are no longer kick returns in the NFL!).

Trysten Hill started more while Frost's staff was at UCF..... I think Hill still played starter-like minutes in 2018 at UCF......

Hill said that he valued building a special relationship during the pre-draft process with Marinelli, who arrived in Orlando a night before UCF's pro day to get in extra time with the under-tackle. 

"It's clicked for me since the combine really when we had a chance to interview him," Marinelli said. "I just kind of felt what he's about. It was good all the way through it. When he came up here for a visit, it was really good. I really enjoyed it."

Some pre-draft reports alluded to Hill having attitude issues after the coaching staff changed at UCF. Marinelli said Dallas talked to both staffs -- Scott Frost, who left for Nebraska, and Josh Heupel, who took over.

"We just do our research and talk to a lot of different people," Marinelli said. "We felt very comfortable with where we're at with him."

Marinelli said Hill, 6-3, 308, is ideal for Dallas' style of play, including his effort.

"He really fits...the motor, high-energy motor, good athlete. And he's a bigger man. ...This guy runs and has got the good movement and good size."

1 hour ago, UT Lax said:

I am actually fine witht the Cowboys building from the outside in and the idea of getting an explosive interior rusher. However,  I didn't love the Trysten Hill pick bc they could have gotten him later and his athletic measurables do not say explosive or athletic: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/trysten-hill?position=ATH.  If he were so athletic, why couldn't he start for a non-BCS school?  I do love the Connor McGovern pick!  I think he will have a long solid career after everything I have read.His measurables do scream stud athlete at guard or center: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/connor-mcgovern.  

Where the Cowboys really messed up their draft was in the fourth round picking up Tony Pollard, when they could have gotten him in the fifth and even the sixth round!  They missed out on picking what looks to be a total stud DE in John Cominsky (check out these measurables: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/john-cominsky).  Cominsky could have been the sleeper to make up for selecting Taco Charlton two years ago.  Taco Charlton has proven to be too slow and completely unexplosive to be a rush DE, which his measurables screamed: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/taco-charlton.  Here is a good read on how the Cowboys panicked on a run of RBs and may even have mistakenly handed in Tony Pollard's name instead of John Cominsky's name: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/28/18519791/after-the-dust-has-settled-how-do-you-feel-about-the-cowboys-eight-players-from-the-2019-nfl-draft

Also with Tony Pollard, the Cowboys spent 2 of their first 3 picks on guys who could not even start for their non-BCS teams.  This draft feels the most like their awful 2009 draft bc they drafted for backup depth and special teams instead of trying to find starters (Tony Pollard's greatest asset is having 7 kick return TDs when there are no longer kick returns in the NFL!).

I have no idea how that site calculates/weighs/averages results, but here's the SPARC scores: 

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/defensive-line/

You'll see Hill is right behind Quinnen Williams Williams and far ahead of the Clemson bros. He's certainly "athletic". 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I have no idea how that site calculates/weighs/averages results, but here's the SPARC scores: 

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/defensive-line/

You'll see Hill is right behind Quinnen Williams Williams and far ahead of the Clemson bros. He's certainly "athletic". 

I think the better question is how does 3 Sigma Athlete (which I also follow) calculate their SPARQ scores for DTs?  That website does not break down how they arrive at the composite SPARQ score for DTs!  Mock Draftable is just using actual combine results (search his combine numbers and they match what is posted on MockDraftable) and compares them to all other DTs in their draft database going back a lot of years.  I don't know how Trysten Hill has such a high SPARQ number if his 40 yard dash and 3-cone are shit, his broad jump and 20 yard shuttle are slightly below average, his verticle jump is slightly above average and only his bench press is well above average relative to other DTs?

17 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

I think the better question is how does 3 Sigma Athlete (which I also follow) calculate their SPARQ scores for DTs?  That website does not break down how they arrive at the composite SPARQ score for DTs!  Mock Draftable is just using actual combine results (search his combine numbers and they match what is posted on MockDraftable) and compares them to all other DTs in their draft database going back a lot of years.  I don't know how Trysten Hill has such a high SPARQ number if his 40 yard dash and 3-cone are shit, his broad jump and 20 yard shuttle are slightly below average, his verticle jump is slightly above average and only his bench press is well above average relative to other DTs?

That's the problem. It's very simplistic and doesn't factor in the weight of the athlete. So  275lb and 310lb lineman are being compared like they're the same size/weight. Which of course, doesn't tell you the whole picture. 

how does 3 Sigma Athlete (which I also follow) calculate their SPARQ scores for DTs?

"The list of inputs for my NFL version of SPARQ, pSPARQ, are as follows: weight, forty-yard dash, ten-yard split, short shuttle, 3-cone drill, bench press, vertical jump, and broad jump."

No idea on the weighting, but it seems to be a pretty comprehensive methodology. I like how bench press is included, especially for a DT. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UT Lax said:

Here is a good read on how the Cowboys panicked on a run of RBs and may even have mistakenly handed in Tony Pollard's name instead of John Cominsky's name: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/28/18519791/after-the-dust-has-settled-how-do-you-feel-about-the-cowboys-eight-players-from-the-2019-nfl-draft

They shouldn't have even had a card prepared with Pollard's name on it in the fourth round.

58 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

That's the problem. It's very simplistic and doesn't factor in the weight of the athlete. So  275lb and 310lb lineman are being compared like they're the same size/weight. Which of course, doesn't tell you the whole picture. 

how does 3 Sigma Athlete (which I also follow) calculate their SPARQ scores for DTs?

"The list of inputs for my NFL version of SPARQ, pSPARQ, are as follows: weight, forty-yard dash, ten-yard split, short shuttle, 3-cone drill, bench press, vertical jump, and broad jump."

No idea on the weighting, but it seems to be a pretty comprehensive methodology. I like how bench press is included, especially for a DT. 

Aaron Donald who is the protypical 4-3 3-technique is only 285 lbs.  Here is Aaron Donald's spider graph vis-a-vis other IDL in 10-yard split (99%), 40 yard dash (99%), vertical jump (80%), broad jump (96%), 3-Cone Drill (97%), 20-yard shuttle (88%), and bench press (92%): https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/aaron-donald?position=IDL.  In other words, speed, power, and athleticism kills on the defensive front and Trysten Hill only has power! 

Presumably, Trysten Hill is going to replace Maliek Collins, bc the Cowboys staff doesn't want to re-sign him (2019 is last year of his rookie deal) as they think Collins is a replacement level player.  But, Maliek Collins and Trysten Hill have very similar measurables, except Collins is quicker in the 20 yard shuffle: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/maliek-collins?position=IDL.  So maybe this is just a cheaper way to replace a player they are not that thrilled with in the first place.  I think that is the wrong approach, particularly with a 2nd round pick where you should be looking to upgrade your starting units.  This again was the approach in the awful 2009 draft!

8 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

Aaron Donald who is the protypical 4-3 3-technique is only 285 lbs.  Here is Aaron Donald's spider graph vis-a-vis other IDL in 10-yard split (99%), 40 yard dash (99%), vertical jump (80%), broad jump (96%), 3-Cone Drill (97%), 20-yard shuttle (88%), and bench press (92%): https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/aaron-donald?position=IDL.  In other words, speed, power, and athleticism kills on the defensive front and Trysten Hill only has power! 

Presumably, Trysten Hill is going to replace Maliek Collins, bc the Cowboys staff doesn't want to re-sign him (2019 is last year of his rookie deal) as they think Collins is a replacement level player.  But, Maliek Collins and Trysten Hill have very similar measurables, except Collins is quicker in the 20 yard shuffle: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/maliek-collins?position=IDL.  So maybe this is just a cheaper way to replace a player they are not that thrilled with in the first place.  I think that is the wrong approach, particularly with a 2nd round pick where you should be looking to upgrade your starting units.  This again was the approach in the awful 2009 draft!

No, he doesn't only have power.  He has explosiveness, and quickness.  90% in the 20 yard shuttle is a big deal.  Probably even bigger deal than his 3 cone score.  He's stronger than average on Bench, but his stout frame on a shorter body means his C-o-G is such that he can anchor his position.  (He has long arms as well, which typically equates to lower bench press output).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UT Lax said:

I don’t think they consider Collins replacement level as much as they consider him an injury risk. When Collins is 100% healthy, he’s a good player. We just rarely get to see him healthy. He always has some lingering bullshit. A healthy version of him is definitely higher than replacement level IMO. 

24 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t think they consider Collins replacement level as much as they consider him an injury risk. When Collins is 100% healthy, he’s a good player. We just rarely get to see him healthy. He always has some lingering bullshit. A healthy version of him is definitely higher than replacement level IMO. 

Agreed.  IIRC, it was one of the knocks on him coming out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UT Lax said:

LMAO, yea he's not Aaron Donald. He also weighs 23lbs more than him. 

" except Collins is quicker in the 20 yard shuffle: "

Wut mate? Collins ran a 4.52 shuttle, Hill ran 4.38. That's tied with Cominsky for 8th best, which includes skinny DEs. 

NAMECOLLEGEPOSITIONTIME(SECONDS)

Bosa, NickOhio St.DL. 4.14        266 lbs

Nelson, AnthonyIowaDL. 4.23.  271 lbs

Gary, RashanMichiganDL 4.29  277 lbs

Tillery, JerryNotre DameDL 4.33 295 lbs

Allen, ZachBoston CollegeDL 4.36. 281 lbs

Omenihu, CharlesTexasDL 4.36   280 lbs

Wise, DanielKansasDL 4.37    281 lbs

Cominsky, JohnCharlestonDL 4.38 286 lbs

Hill, Trysten  Central FloridaDL  4.38. 308 lbs

Ferrell, Clelin. Clemson   DL.      4.40 264 lbs

You can't seriously look at that and try to argue that he's not 'athletic'. He's pretty damn athletic and quick. 

• Like 1

I am actually fine witht the Cowboys building from the outside in and the idea of getting an explosive interior rusher. However,  I didn't love the Trysten Hill pick bc they could have gotten him later and his athletic measurables do not say explosive or athletic: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/trysten-hill?position=ATH.  If he were so athletic, why couldn't he start for a non-BCS school?  I do love the Connor McGovern pick!  I think he will have a long solid career after everything I have read.His measurables do scream stud athlete at guard or center: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/connor-mcgovern.   Where the Cowboys really messed up their draft was in the fourth round picking up Tony Pollard, when they could have gotten him in the fifth and even the sixth round!  They missed out on picking what looks to be a total stud DE in John Cominsky (check out these measurables: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/john-cominsky).  Cominsky could have been the sleeper to make up for selecting Taco Charlton two years ago.  Taco Charlton has proven to be too slow and completely unexplosive to be a rush DE, which his measurables screamed: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/taco-charlton.  Here is a good read on how the Cowboys panicked on a run of RBs and may even have mistakenly handed in Tony Pollard's name instead of John Cominsky's name: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/28/18519791/after-the-dust-has-settled-how-do-you-feel-about-the-cowboys-eight-players-from-the-2019-nfl-draft

This is where I just can’t understand. How do you know Hill doesn’t go just as few picks later?

Pollard might have been able to be gotten in the 5th but we dont know how team value him. The cowboys have been burned the last couple of years targeting a guy like Pollard and getting jumped by a team to get him(I know it happened before the Switzer pick and last year too). They’re rather have him than take the chance on losing him.

It’s really condescending of us to pretend like we know where 4th or 5th rounders are valued be different teams. There’s no way for us to know and in most cases you’re just regurgitating what someone me else is saying(like on the radio or in their blog post) based on THIER board or in their opinion.

You want to say a guy taken in the first or 2nd could be gotten later? Ok maybe...but after that? We have no idea. Kiper and McShays player rankings don’t mean shit. Teams are taking players that aren’t even on other teams boards when they get to 4th a lot of times.

Also Hill will be starting this year or at worst a key rotation player and will be starting next year and LMFAO at him not being athletic. It’s the main thing people say about him as a Pro.

And I really know you’re just taking what others are saying is the whole “2009 draft” crap. This was nothing like that draft.

They intentionally drafted special team players and backups because their stagers were “too good”.

Hill and Connor can/will start as early as this year. I think they actually drafted pollard to use him and not just be w tavon Austin decoy, and Micheal Jackson will most likely be that 5th corner(if not 4th) and move up to 2nd or 3rd next year when either Jones and/or Brown walk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UT Lax said:

I am actually fine witht the Cowboys building from the outside in and the idea of getting an explosive interior rusher.

think you mean inside-out. 

However,  I didn't love the Trysten Hill pick bc they could have gotten him later 

wrong. 

and his athletic measurables do not say explosive or athletic

wrong. 

If he were so athletic, why couldn't he start for a non-BCS school?

have you read a single goddamn thing about him?

you’re an idiot and lacrosse is gay. 

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

This has to be projecting for next year i think or browns wouldnt be so high plus steelers in tier 3

If i stick with projection thought then yeah we could be tier 2 with cooper all year...if its last year then we are not tier 2

It is projecting for next year as well as taking last year into consideration. Obviously it is just opinion and nothing very substantial. But it looks to be pretty accurate.

We have the offense to go places. Defense is the unit that holds us back whenever we make the playoffs.

It is projecting for next year as well as taking last year into consideration. Obviously it is just opinion and nothing very substantial. But it looks to be pretty accurate.
We have the offense to go places. Defense is the unit that holds us back whenever we make the playoffs.
Yeah cant argue with it projection wise...we got the pieces

On 4/30/2019 at 2:51 PM, Bone3421 said:
On 4/30/2019 at 12:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:
The fucking Browns have better odds right now than Dallas to win it all. Lmao. Trust the process!
59325862_2665079550205451_3975733346234793984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=2b2c5777c0a6211ae4352d9368ec7bbe&oe=5D6A2214

Hmmm...its almost like vegas wants to entice the long suffering browns fans to throw some $$$ away while hedging the just in case...man what a crazy idea

If they wanted to entice them to bet they would have made the odds better for the bettor. This says they're actually worried it might be a possibility and they might have to pay out.