Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Agreed.  He was 2nd on the team in catches and played in the slot at time.  This is more of a Lance Dunbar situation except with elite ST skills.  Austin is on notice.

He was used a lot as a receiver, but by all the reports I could find he wasn't very skilled at it. Poor route runner and body catcher with a lot of drops, but he had ample reps to produce some stats. Had a big game against Houston, but if you look at his game by game stats it wasn't too impressive. I have concerns about the prospects of this guy based solely on what I read. I hope the Cowboys scouts know something that everyone else who watched him did not. Lance Dunbar didn't cost them anything but a roster spot. And if he's Lance Dunbar, he's still a terrible pick.

This is nothing more than the 2009 draft. No immediate help at all. Nothing but below average depth players. Did not improve the roster at all. Deep safety draft and we didn't pick anyone. Useless trade downs today that accomplished nothing.
We improved roster with quinn,cobb,witten and iloka
Then we drafted some good athletes in depth positions while not having that many picks...lets see how the players work out

You act like nobody good ever comes from back end of draft...oh thats right kam and sherman were both 5th rd picks by seattle
  • Like 1

Donovan Wilson is a day 3 safety Cowboys like for NFL Draft

The Cowboys will likely look to bolster their defensive back depth in the upcoming draft and that could include Donovan Wilson out of Texas A&M

Author: Mark Lane

Published: 5:15 PM CDT April 5, 2019

DALLAS — With the signing of George Iloka, the progression of Xavier Woods entering his third season, and Jeff Heath and Kavon Frazier bringing the playmaking and punishment, it appears the Dallas Cowboys are set at safety. However, there is one Southeastern Conference product that has piqued their curiosity.

Enter former Texas A&M Aggies safety Donovan Wilson. The 6-0, 199-pound Shreveport, La., product drew interest from the Cowboys at the Aggies' pro day on March 26, so much so that Dallas sent safeties coach Greg Jackson and defensive assistant Ken Amato along with their scouts to check out Wilson.

The Shreveport Woodlawn alumnus is not a name that is up there with the likes of Delaware's Nasir Adderley or Mississippi State's Johnathan Abram. Projected to go near the bottom of the draft, Wilson has been impacted by a sports hernia for which he had surgery and missed the 2018 Gator Bowl. 

However, Wilson did not let the injury hold him back at Aggies pro day, recording a 39-inch vertical.

A source close to the Cowboys tells WFAA.com that while Wilson's pro day was "amazing," the concern they have is he won't be ready for NFL training camp if he doesn't get rest for his hernia surgery. 

According to the source, the club knows what Wilson can do on tape; he doesn't need to prove anything else at the risk of aggravating his sports hernia injury and missing time in a NFL camp. If Wilson rests and heals up, the source says, the former Aggie safety will be fine.

What the Cowboys like about Wilson is his ability to play down in the box. In 2018, a year of eligibility granted to Wilson due to a medical redshirt from 2017, he recorded 67 combined tackles, 5.5 of them for loss, collected 2.0 sacks, intercepted two passes, and deflected two more. 

Wilson would be able to provide run support for the Cowboys, but he also wouldn't be, "a negative player if he goes and plays the back part of the field," the source told WFAA.com.

Dallas likes the way Wilson plays in the box, in the intermediate areas, and in zone coverage. The theory behind the way the Cowboys view back end talent is that if they can identify two or three positive traits, they believe they can coach the rest.

"We think he has all the intangibles," the source told WFAA.com. "We'll see what happens."

There has been no confirmation as to whether the Cowboys have brought in Wilson for a workout or as one of their 30 visits. Given the fact the Cowboys would like to see him fully recuperate from his sports hernia surgery, it is safe to presume they wouldn't want to bring him in for a workout.

Dallas would be in a pickle when it came to taking Wilson. With a fifth-round pick and a seventh-round selection available to them on day three, Dallas would be at risk of taking Wilson too early or missing out on him entirely. 

Nonetheless, the moves the Cowboys have made in free agency to shore up the back end allow them to take these kind of risks, both in waiting out for Wilson, and also waiting for Wilson to get healthy enough for training camp.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I like Webber a lot more than that overrated aggy fuck

If there's a hole and Weber hits it clean, he can break long runs with his straight line speed.  Not good in tight spaces, doesn't break tackles well, and not so hot at pass protection.

Cowboys better coach this guy up......

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is nothing more than the 2009 draft. No immediate help at all. Nothing but below average depth players. Did not improve the roster at all. Deep safety draft and we didn't pick anyone. Useless trade downs today that accomplished nothing.

Amari Cooper for the 1st says hi. When your first true pick is a late 2nd, you need to look for needs and depth. I think they reached, but expecting a known impact player with the picks they had is a stretch.

• Like 1

DeMarcus Lodge went undrafted. Outshined at Ole Miss by some high drafted and ballyhooed stars, pretty dang good player could have put up some huge numbers in a different situation. One of the best high school receivers I ever saw, from Cedar Hill.

Bring him in.

Edited by DougO

10 minutes ago, DougO said:

DeMarcus Lodge went undrafted. Outshined at Ole Miss by some high drafted and ballyhooed stars, pretty dang good player could have put up some huge numbers in a different situation. One of the best high school receivers I ever saw, from Cedar Hill.

Bring him in.

Signed with Tampa Bay.

Link for UDFA Signings Tracker for Cowboys....

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/27/18511423/2019-dallas-cowboys-undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-udfa-2019-draft

2019 Cowboys UDFA Tracker

Player Position School
Daniel Wise DT Kansas
Chris Westry CB Kentucky
Jon'Vea Johnson WR Toledo
Jalen Guyton WR North Texas
Brandon Knight OL Indiana

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Amari Cooper for the 1st says hi. When your first true pick is a late 2nd, you need to look for needs and depth. I think they reached, but expecting a known impact player with the picks they had is a stretch.

Why did you feel the need to engage Vic? He had that post written before the draft even started. 

• Like 1

Thor Nystrom's draft grade:

Dallas Cowboys | Snap grade: F

Pick Selection Ht Wt Comp SPQ RAS Rank Position
2.58 Trysten Hill 6'3 308 Brandon Dunn 81.7 8.99 92 DL10
3.90 Connor McGovern 6'5 308 Roger Saffold n/a 9.76 151 OC6
4.128 Tony Pollard 6'0 210 Theo Riddick 72.2 7.24 272 RB25
5.158 Michael Jackson 6'1 210 Siran Neal 90.7 8.82 120 CB15
5.165 Joe Jackson 6'4 275 Za'Darius Smith 2.3 2.51 131 EDGE18
6.213 Donovan Wilson 6'0 199 Corey Moore n/a 6.97 428 S29
7.218 Mike Weber 5'10 211 Tashard Choice 30.7 7.08 271 RB24
7.241 Jalen Jelks 6'5 256 Erik Walden 9.0 4.85 230 EDGE25

I didn’t get it. And I like Trysten Hill more than most! But that pick started an over-draft party that Dallas was unable to turn the music down on (with the exception of the Round 5 Miami kids).

I didn’t get it. And I like Trysten Hill more than most! But that pick started an over-draft party that Dallas was unable to turn the music down on (with the exception of the Round 5 Miami kids).

Why doesn’t Vic just use his Surly handle on Twitter?

This was a solid if unspectacular draft. Just the way it should be. They already “made a splash” with the Cooper trade. The rest are solid role players this year, with some probably starters in the future.

This isn’t 2009 all over again, no matter what idiots try to say. They didn’t draft “backups” they drafted guys that will help this year and continue the run of solid roster building through the draft.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Who give's a shit about Avenger Thor's f'n draft grade......

giphy.gif

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Link for UDFA Signings Tracker for Cowboys....

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/27/18511423/2019-dallas-cowboys-undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-udfa-2019-draft

2019 Cowboys UDFA Tracker

Player Position School
Daniel Wise DT Kansas
Chris Westry CB Kentucky

More updated UDFA list for Cowboys

Daniel Wise DT Kansas
Chris Westry CB Kentucky
Ricky Walker DT Virginia Tech
Justin Phillips LB Oklahoma State
Luke Gifford LB Nebraska
Mitch Hyatt OT Clemson
Derrick Puni OL Central Missouri
Andrew Dowell LB Michigan State
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Drew said:

The top 3 names are really good adds imo. Johnson lit up the Mac with a limited QB. They’ve been on wise for a while. And the Kentucky QB is probably going to push Rush and White for a spot.

Hot take.  So a guy who played corner in college is going to challenge for the backup QB spot on the Dallas Cowboys.  Well at least he has good height. 

• Like 1

I’m excited to see what they do with Pollard. I won’t hold my breath necessarily, but with Linehan gone, lets see what you can do Kellen. This was your first draft pick as OC. 

**waits for Vic to say “nothing will change” without knowing it for a fact**

Also, I wanna see what Richard can do with Michael Jackson. Big corner with good speed, who shouldn’t have to play right away. After next year our corner situation gets pretty sketchy (correct me if I’m wrong), so it would be nice if Jackson could show he can be a contributor.

Edited by youdunnf'dup