Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yeah let’s just not use our best weapon on a regular basis while we’re in a championship window, just to see if Dak can carry a team. Great idea for a first year OC. Jesus fucking Christ lol

Who said don't use your best weapon? I didn't say throw 100 percent of the time, I said transition out of this 1980s offense to a more pass oriented offense where it's incumbent on the QB to make the plays and carry the team. You know, the style of offense literally every successful NFL team runs. Zeke will still get his and he'll be much more dangerous out of the backfield as a receiver as well. It'll open it up for Cooper and Gallup. And most importantly it will tell everyone whether this QB is worthy of making top 10 QB money or if he's a glorified bus driver with a knack for making comebacks who needs high priced top talent around him to make the playoffs  consistently. 

Last season Cowboys were I believe last in the NFL in red zone TD efficiency. That tells me the QB was horrible at throwing the ball in the end zone for TDs when the field shrinks and the defense is keyed in tight coverage. Now, was it that? Or was it the archaic offensive structure? Let's fucking find out this season before the next 5 seasons are thrown away with 30+ mil on a bus driver who can't throw TDs in the red zone. 

39 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Last season Cowboys were I believe last in the NFL in red zone TD efficiency. That tells me the QB was horrible at throwing the ball in the end zone for TDs when the field shrinks and the defense is keyed in tight coverage. Now, was it that? Or was it the archaic offensive structure? Let's fucking find out this season before the next 5 seasons are thrown away with 30+ mil on a bus driver who can't throw TDs in the red zone. 

They weren't last in 2018. Looking at the RZ TD efficiency for previous years: 

2018 26th

2017 7th 

2016 5th 

2015 30th 

Dak 'sucking' doesn't jump out to me, he was just fine in 2016 and 2017 (in an off year).  Probably a combination of the lack of playmakers and more importantly,, play-calling. Can't call the same shit over and over for 5+ years and expect defenses not to adapt. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

They weren't last in 2018. Looking at the RZ TD efficiency for previous years: 

2018 26th

2017 7th 

2016 5th 

2015 30th 

Dak 'sucking' doesn't jump out to me, he was just fine in 2016 and 2017 (in an off year).  Probably a combination of the lack of playmakers and more importantly,, play-calling. Can't call the same shit over and over for 5+ years and expect defenses not to adapt. 

So it wasn't dead last but it was pretty close to it. The reason the 2016 and 2017 rankings were top 10 were all pretty much on the strength of the offensive line and the team's ability to run the ball into the endzone from the red zone. Last season with Frederick out and a rookie left guard Williams playing out of position they were no longer able to push the defense of line off the ball and give Zeke and Dak running lanes into the endzone when the defense is playing tight on the line.  

Those stats actually prove my point. Last season without that push the coaches chose to go 2 and 3 tight end sets and still try to run it in. That didn't work because defenses just stacked the line even more, and Dak's inability to throw the ball with accuracy for touchdowns in the red zone is what killed them. With the big front and the defense focusing in with heavy boxes there was no room for Dak or Zeke to use their legs to get into the endzone like the previous two seasons. We remember the end of the season and them sneaking back and taking the division, but we forget that the only reason they were in that position was a ridiculously good and extremely high effort 5 game stretch culminating in the second eagles victory that the defense played absolutely lights out. It wasn't Dak and the offense carrying the team to victory in those five games, it was very much the defense carrying a struggling offense into a tight game in the 4th quarter. so much so that after that final eagles game the defense was spent and didn't have much left because they exerted so much to get the team back in that position and get those wins. 

That doesn't look good going forward if he's making 30 + million a year and you cannot afford to keep a dominant run-blocking line and top 3 running back to go along with a top 8 defense. Not unless he somehow miraculously becomes able to put the team on his back and throw touchdowns in the red zone. 

Edited by Junior Miller

Man, can the off-season just end already so Dak can just prove one side right and one side wrong? This topic will never die. Everyone is pretty firm on their stance of how they feel about him (one way or the other). Nothing can change that between now and the start of the season. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, LTtxfan said:

I was listening to the Talking Cowboys podcast earlier, they mentioned that the scout heading to Oakland, Walter Juliff, who has been with the Cowboys for three decades, is the reason the Cowboys don't draft Longhorns. Apparently he was the anti-Longhorn voice in the room all these years. 

Edited by Bruh Man

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

So it wasn't dead last but it was pretty close to it. The reason the 2016 and 2017 rankings were top 10 were all pretty much on the strength of the offensive line and the team's ability to run the ball into the endzone from the red zone. Last season with Frederick out and a rookie left guard Williams playing out of position they were no longer able to push the defense of line off the ball and give Zeke and Dak running lanes into the endzone when the defense is playing tight on the line.  

Those stats actually prove my point. Last season without that push the coaches chose to go 2 and 3 tight end sets and still try to run it in. That didn't work because defenses just stacked the line even more, and Dak's inability to throw the ball with accuracy for touchdowns in the red zone is what killed them. With the big front and the defense focusing in with heavy boxes there was no room for Dak or Zeke to use their legs to get into the endzone like the previous two seasons. We remember the end of the season and them sneaking back and taking the division, but we forget that the only reason they were in that position was a ridiculously good and extremely high effort 5 game stretch culminating in the second eagles victory that the defense played absolutely lights out. It wasn't Dak and the offense carrying the team to victory in those five games, it was very much the defense carrying a struggling offense into a tight game in the 4th quarter. so much so that after that final eagles game the defense was spent and didn't have much left because they exerted so much to get the team back in that position and get those wins. 

That doesn't look good going forward if he's making 30 + million a year and you cannot afford to keep a dominant run-blocking line and top 3 running back to go along with a top 8 defense. Not unless he somehow miraculously becomes able to put the team on his back and throw touchdowns in the red zone. 

Yea, it totally proves your point and definitely has nothing to do with the receivers and TEs, other than Amari, getting some of the least separation in the league. 

Cmon, his best receiver(Beasley)for almost half the year had 23 touchdowns.......in 7 years. After Amari, the defense just had to double him. And then you had no reliable big TE target. 

LMAO, Dak really sucked during that 5 game stretch. You do realize that playcalling will be much more conservative when the defense is dominating a game right? Nothing on offense happens in a vacuum. Couple that with an already ridiculously conservative gameplan, a conservative QB, and there you have it. 

What 30 million + QB doesn't need a great oline and receiving targets? Brady only makes like 14 mil. Rogers has/had one of the best pass blocking units in the league for years. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

29 minutes ago, Rabidhorn said:

Dallas will jump at paying him 15 mil a season instead of a tag for one year at 25 million a season then starting over at QB.

Of course Dallas will jump at that.  However, Dak and his agent would laugh in their face for even suggesting it.  I'm not sure how you try and lock a guy in for a 5 year deal that is $2mm more than Ryan Fitzmagic made a couple years back.  

Complete idiocy thinking that would work, or should work.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Who said don't use your best weapon? I didn't say throw 100 percent of the time, I said transition out of this 1980s offense to a more pass oriented offense where it's incumbent on the QB to make the plays and carry the team. You know, the style of offense literally every successful NFL team runs. Zeke will still get his and he'll be much more dangerous out of the backfield as a receiver as well. It'll open it up for Cooper and Gallup. And most importantly it will tell everyone whether this QB is worthy of making top 10 QB money or if he's a glorified bus driver with a knack for making comebacks who needs high priced top talent around him to make the playoffs  consistently. 

The issue with our offense over the past few years isn't that it is too run heavy.  The problem is that it is extremely predictable, devoid of any creativity whatsoever, and it is ridiculously inept at setting up or taking advantage of mismatches.  The Rams employ a run-heavy, simple ass, play action offense,  yet they're anything but predictable. Their play selection and design has a coherent plan where plays cause confusion and take advantage of the conflicts they create for the defense. They do a good job of moving players around and causing mismatches as a result,  but ultimately the Rams don't force Jared Goff to make sophisticated reads or anything.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

I was listening to the Talking Cowboys podcast earlier, they mentioned that the scout heading to Oakland, Walter Juliff, who has been with the Cowboys for three decades, is the reason the Cowboys don't draft Longhorns. Apparently he was the anti-Longhorn voice in the room all these years. 

That's just ridiculous that 1) one guy has the power to do that and 2) one guy would be so dumb to totally rule out an entire college program for decades  despite said school being led by different coaches over that time period. Shit like this is why I'm not 100% certain that any Joe blow off the street couldn't do a better job running the Cowboys than this band of jackasses. 

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The issue with our offense over the past few years isn't that it is too run heavy.  The problem is that it is extremely predictable, devoid of any creativity whatsoever, and it is ridiculously inept at setting up or taking advantage of mismatches.  The Rams employ a run-heavy, simple ass, play action offense,  yet they're anything but predictable. Their play selection and design has a coherent plan where plays cause confusion and take advantage of the conflicts they create for the defense. They do a good job of moving players around and causing mismatches as a result,  but ultimately the Rams don't force Jared Goff to make sophisticated reads or anything.  

But I'm sure the Rams are going to give Goff more responsibility and see if he's capable of shouldering the load before they give him whatever top 10 QB money is after his 5th year is up. Dak has been the starter for 3 straight seasons and he's definitely worth signing but this coming season is the last chance to see if he can be a super bowl winning QB capable of stepping his game and accuracy up. To do that the offense needs to be changed and more responsibility goes on him. If he can't hack it after 47 regular season starts plus 3 playoff starts of experience then you know you have more of a Nick Foles 22 mil a year QB and not a top 10 QB.  Not that you can't win with him but it'll either take a Foles like miraculous out of character run of performance at just the right time or elite pieces all around him and a top 5 defense. 

Another thing to factor is once he's getting 30+ mil a year they aren't running the dude hardly at all. They were very reluctant to risk him last season when he should have been running more and he's only costing them half a mil. When his cost goes up 60 fold per season and he's older with more wear on the tread they sure as shit aren't running him. He'll have to do it almost exclusively with the arm. 

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That's just ridiculous that 1) one guy has the power to do that and 2) one guy would be so dumb to totally rule out an entire college program for decades  despite said school being led by different coaches over that time period. Shit like this is why I'm not 100% certain that any Joe blow off the street couldn't do a better job running the Cowboys than this band of jackasses. 

It was just some dudes on a podcast so might not be 100 percent true. Even if true he was over ruled last year on Williams and a few years ago on Swaim. The main reason they don't draft Longhorns is because over the last 10 years there haven't been hardly any longhorns worth drafting. Not many teams were drafting them. 

Apparently that scout guy left for Oakland because Mayock is willing to pay him way more than the Cowboys are and his pension take is an average of his three highest earning years. Since he's nearing retirement if he's there just 3 years he boosts his pension take a lot. No brainier. 

Travis Frederick said his strength, “feels like I’m back, close to if not full strength,” after missing last season with Gullain-Barre Syndrome, but he will not take part in team drills in the upcoming organized team activities and June minicamp because of shoulder surgery. When training camp starts in late July he expects to do everything. “I think that’s where we are in the point of recovery and I think that’s going to be an important step to my return, being able to go through (practice in pads) and there’s going to be rust,” Frederick said. “You’re going to have to knock the rust off during training camp and get back to doing those. You can do the movements on air as much as you want but it’s not until you’re going against a live person that you feel football.”

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Doesn't Harsin run something similar?

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

It was just some dudes on a podcast so might not be 100 percent true. Even if true he was over ruled last year on Williams and a few years ago on Swaim. The main reason they don't draft Longhorns is because over the last 10 years there haven't been hardly any longhorns worth drafting. Not many teams were drafting them. 

Apparently that scout guy left for Oakland because Mayock is willing to pay him way more than the Cowboys are and his pension take is an average of his three highest earning years. Since he's nearing retirement if he's there just 3 years he boosts his pension take a lot. No brainier. 

Before Swaim a few years ago the last Longhorn draft pick was Wayne McGarritty back in '99. In fact since Jerry bought the Cowboys I can only remember 3 Longhorns drafted by them.  

36 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Doesn't Harsin run something similar?

If you're referring to Harsin's penchant for changing formations and moving players around yes.  In fact I'd argue Harsin did it more frequently and in a more complicated fashion when he was at UT than what McVeigh does with the Rams.  McVeigh specializes at running an assortment of plays (passes and runs) out of the exact same looks. However he does move WRs around alot, something the Cowboys rarely do/did. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If you're referring to Harsin's penchant for changing formations and moving players around yes.  In fact I'd argue Harsin did it more frequently and in a more complicated fashion when he was at UT than what McVeigh does with the Rams.  McVeigh specializes at running an assortment of plays (passes and runs) out of the exact same looks. However he does move WRs around alot, something the Cowboys rarely do/did. 

Based on what I'm reading about Moore, that sounds like that's his plan.  He said our personnel versatility will allow us to run the same plays out of multiple formations and multiple plays out of the same formations. 

We'll see. Anything's gotta be better than stale old Linehan. 

24 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Based on what I'm reading about Moore, that sounds like that's his plan.  He said our personnel versatility will allow us to run the same plays out of multiple formations and multiple plays out of the same formations. 

We'll see. Anything's gotta be better than stale old Linehan. 

Yeah I was hoping this is the area where Moore's impact would be felt the most. Given the fact that he spent his formative years (from a football perspective) at Boise St under that regime's offensive philosophy it makes sense that he'd mimic their mentality. It'll be refreshing for us to see the Cowboys actually scheme up some offensive production rather than just relying upon a dominant Oline. 

I honestly don't think Linehan is as instinctively conservative as what he exhibited in Dallas. He just had so much success his first year in Dallas that it almost became a crutch to approach the offense in that overly reserved manner. If our defense actually generated turnovers on a more consistent basis that uber conservative approach might have possibly gotten us to a conference championship game. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

At the very least information like this muddies any attempt at a definitive evaluation of Dak. It would be nice to see what he would do in an offense that wasn't as prehistoric as the shit we've been running his entire career. 

And thus, the best, most concise reason that we can't really pretend that we've seen the best of Dak.

And for those of you bemoaning the Red Zone efficiency last season, I suggest you go read Bob Sturm's stuff on the Atlantic.  It was more to do with looks, personnel groupings, and predictable play calling that ruined them than Dak.  Other teams make it easier on the QB/Offense in the RZ, the Cowboys did the opposite.  And if you want to throw Dak's stats as proof that he sucks in the RZ, than you damn sure better throw in Zeke's lack of production in the RZ too.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

And thus, the best, most concise reason that we can't really pretend that we've seen the best of Dak.

And for those of you bemoaning the Red Zone efficiency last season, I suggest you go read Bob Sturm's stuff on the Atlantic.  It was more to do with looks, personnel groupings, and predictable play calling that ruined them than Dak.  Other teams make it easier on the QB/Offense in the RZ, the Cowboys did the opposite.  And if you want to throw Dak's stats as proof that he sucks in the RZ, than you damn sure better throw in Zeke's lack of production in the RZ too.

Well, that's the notion but it is far from proven. I think it was a combination but it had more to do with the OL not being dominant and not being able to run it in inside the 20 like they had the previous years. Of course only one way to find out. Change the offense to put more on Dak's shoulders and see if you have a legit winning franchise QB or a bus driver with a penchant for comebacks. It's the only answer to really find out. 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Well, that's the notion but it is far from proven. I think it was a combination but it had more to do with the OL not being dominant and not being able to run it in inside the 20 like they had the previous years. Of course only one way to find out. Change the offense to put more on Dak's shoulders and see if you have a legit winning franchise QB or a bus driver with a penchant for comebacks. It's the only answer to really find out. 

Why not change the offense to put more on your coaches’ shoulders?    They get paid to scheme, the other team, not scheme their own team 

Why not change the offense to put more on your coaches’ shoulders?    They get paid to scheme, the other team, not scheme their own team 
Our coaches don't even know what scheming and adjustments are. They have one single plan. And if that doesn't work, tough shit. It will be ran the rest of the game. Go watch the Rams game. Our defense made absolutely no adjustments.

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Our coaches don't even know what scheming and adjustments are. They have one single plan. And if that doesn't work, tough shit. It will be ran the rest of the game. Go watch the Rams game. Our defense made absolutely no adjustments.

I’m well aware.  But Dak!!

On 5/15/2019 at 12:33 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Man, can the off-season just end already so Dak can just prove one side right and one side wrong? This topic will never die. Everyone is pretty firm on their stance of how they feel about him (one way or the other). Nothing can change that between now and the start of the season. 

things are gonna get real in the preseason when mike white shows he is clearly the best qb on the roster.

6 hours ago, Drew said:

And for those of you bemoaning the Red Zone efficiency last season, I suggest you go read Bob Sturm's stuff on the Atlantic.  It was more to do with looks, personnel groupings, and predictable play calling that ruined them than Dak.  

fuck bob strum, fuck dak, and fuck you.  yeah, it’s personnel groupings that are preventing our quarterback from making plays.  you fucking idiot.  scott linehan set offensive records in detroit with a capable quarterback.  tony romo put up the best offensive numbers in cowboys history with linehan.  it’s not the coaching, the scheme, the team around him, the stadium, the weather, or his menstrual cycle.  it’s the fact that he’s a painfully mediocre player at the quarterback position.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

fuck bob strum, fuck dak, and fuck you.  yeah, it’s personnel groupings that are preventing our quarterback from making plays.  you fucking idiot.  scott linehan set offensive records in detroit with a capable quarterback.  tony romo put up the best offensive numbers in cowboys history with linehan.  

Not exactly, you could say Romo put up his most efficient numbers with Linehan. Certainly not his highest or best offensive numbers. 

Also, Calvin Johnson, one of the best WRs to ever play the game, set a bunch of records in Detroit, not Linehan. If Linehan gets any credit, it was for running the "throw it to Calvin 30 times a game" offense. It was so successful, it won the Lions exactly nothing. But yea, Stafford is like a billion times better than Dak. 

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'm fine with paying Dak.  As fine as anyone can be when you're about to pay someone close to 30mil.  I think he's good and I think he's a winner.  And I think half of y'all have coconuts for brains

Well then it's decided.... 

giphy.gif.

Post Oak just gave his...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, slorch said:

Not a bum.

Right at average...at best.

needs everything to be just perfect and he can play...otherwise he's focked.

Classic game manager.

Yea he manages 8 fourth quarter comebacks and 14 game-winning drives in 3 years. That's a "game winner" unless you're retarded. 

4 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Yea he manages 8 fourth quarter comebacks and 14 game-winning drives in 3 years. That's a "game winner" unless you're retarded. 

I see what i see.

yes he's made some plays.

Until he learns to throw his receivers open, he's not going to be a 'better' QB.

No, he is not there today.

Just now, slorch said:

I see what i see.

yes he's made some plays.

Until he learns to throw his receivers open, he's not going to be a 'better' QB.

No, he is not there today.

People talk about throwing receivers open like young QBs role out of bed and do it. 3rd year Russel Wilson, Matty Ice, or Romo didn't throw anyone open. It takes trusting your WRs and experience. Outside of the elite top 1-3 QBs, it's not going to happen overnight. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

People talk about throwing receivers open like young QBs role out of bed and do it. 3rd year Russel Wilson, Matty Ice, or Romo didn't throw anyone open. It takes trusting your WRs and experience. Outside of the elite top 1-3 QBs, it's not going to happen overnight. 

and that's what this season is all about.

Don't ignore the Dallas o-line and running game.  while troubled last season by injury, it should be returning to form.

My expectations are rising for Dak.   prove yourself, young man.  I don't think that is unfair.

His coach sucks, but hell, even Vince Young overcame shitty coaching...welp, sort of.

It's not a real serious incident at all but it seems it is always something with him. Whether or not it is serious or if he was found guilty, it is always something. It's who he is. He loves the night life (like many athletes) and is not afraid to get right in the middle of the action.

My issue is if he actually gets punished for this shit while other players actually get arrested and get nothing at all. We will see what happens with this but I doubt much comes from it. But with it being Zeke and this is the Cowboys, it will be made a big deal.