Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

10 hours ago, Drew said:

Why doesn’t Vic just use his Surly handle on Twitter?

This was a solid if unspectacular draft. Just the way it should be. They already “made a splash” with the Cooper trade. The rest are solid role players this year, with some probably starters in the future.

This isn’t 2009 all over again, no matter what idiots try to say. They didn’t draft “backups” they drafted guys that will help this year and continue the run of solid roster building through the draft.

Nobody knows. If you look at the last 6 drafts only 2016 looks like a draft B+ or above. 2015 looks pretty awful. 2017 not much better. Almost every other one they hit one or two top 3 round picks then nothing. 

Chances are without a first rounder they'll be lucky if they get one player out of this that can play. That's their history, they don't do so well outside the first round and maybe 2nd usually. 

Edited by Junior Miller

As always, so many accept mediocrity and for some fucking reason, embrace and defend it. Dallas has been spinning their wheels now for over 2 decades. And people still get offended if you criticize this front office. Who has no idea how to build a team that can win more than a measly fucking wild card game every so often.

We have seen teams like the Rams and Eagles go from last to first and into the Super Bowl with their new coach and direction in one fucking year. One. Yet here we are in almost year 10 of carrot top and we haven't did jack shit. 10 fucking years.

And you still have fucking pom pom waving dorks who defend and applaud this front office who has no real direction. We have kept a head coach who still has no idea how to make adjustments and a shitty defensive coordinator who doesn't know either. When they face real talent in the playoffs, they get embarrassed.

We have wasted the cheap years of Dak, Zeke and Tank. And the OL. Hell Jaylon will be nearing his second contract. The name of the game is to win while they are still cheap and then load up around them. Like the Rams and Eagles did.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just because the coach sucks doesn’t mean they haven’t drafted pretty well. Everyone you mention above was drafted. I haven’t seen very many defend the front office on the coaches on here either. They need innovation on both sides of the football.

41 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Nobody knows. If you look at the last 6 drafts only 2016 looks like a draft B+ or above. 2015 looks pretty awful. 2017 not much better. Almost every other one they hit one or two top 3 round picks then nothing. 

Chances are without a first rounder they'll be lucky if they get one player out of this that can play. That's their history, they don't do so well outside the first round and maybe 2nd usually. 

They have 3 guys in the secondary that play significant downs (2 start) that came out of the 2017 draft. There are a number of mid round players that get significant playing time, but it’s also usually a couple of years down the road before that happens. Go to Wikipedia and look at the draft and those that make the Pro bowl. The older drafts have more in the later rounds while the last 2-3 will usually only have a handful.

18 minutes ago, Brew said:

They have 3 guys in the secondary that play significant downs (2 start) that came out of the 2017 draft. There are a number of mid round players that get significant playing time, but it’s also usually a couple of years down the road before that happens. Go to Wikipedia and look at the draft and those that make the Pro bowl. The older drafts have more in the later rounds while the last 2-3 will usually only have a handful.

Out of those 3 only the 2nd round pick Chidobe is a legit secondary starter. Lewis is a 3rd round bust and was being tested at receiver. Woods is ok but nothing more than replacement level or a little below. I stand by that draft was about a C- grade. 

They've gotten better at drafting than the horrific Jerry years but they aren't as good as the Dallas media likes to believe. They have been pretty consistently good at finding UDFA who can at least minimally provide depth. 

53 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

As always, so many accept mediocrity and for some fucking reason, embrace and defend it. Dallas has been spinning their wheels now for over 2 decades. And people still get offended if you criticize this front office. Who has no idea how to build a team that can win more than a measly fucking wild card game every so often.

We have seen teams like the Rams and Eagles go from last to first and into the Super Bowl with their new coach and direction in one fucking year. One. Yet here we are in almost year 10 of carrot top and we haven't did jack shit. 10 fucking years.

And you still have fucking pom pom waving dorks who defend and applaud this front office who has no real direction. We have kept a head coach who still has no idea how to make adjustments and a shitty defensive coordinator who doesn't know either. When they face real talent in the playoffs, they get embarrassed.

We have wasted the cheap years of Dak, Zeke and Tank. And the OL. Hell Jaylon will be nearing his second contract. The name of the game is to win while they are still cheap and then load up around them. Like the Rams and Eagles did.

No one is accepting anything.  We're fans.  We know what the problem is.  You know what the problem is.  The entire world knows what the problem is.  But that problem still owns the team, and he's as big a fan as any of us, isn't selling, and has the resources to outlive all of us.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have the skill set to build a competitive team year-to-year without enlisting competent help, which he is too vain to do. 

We can either sit around and constantly bitch about it, knowing that it does absolutely no good, or we can look for something, anything, to be positive about so that being a fan of our favorite franchise isn't such a miserable fucking experience.  Isn't being a fan of a team stuck in mediocrity bad enough?  We have to constantly have it drilled into our heads by the "misery loves company" crowd?   I'm not asking for "glass half full," much less a glass full of sunshine.  I would settle for the occasional "I know I saw my glass around here somewhere; maybe it still has a sip in it."

Let me enjoy a week or two of post-draft optimism.  The season will start soon enough, and reality can beat the ever living shit out of me then. 

Edited by idigTexas
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do you have any other point or anything else remotely insightful to say?  

Hot take.  So a guy who played corner in college is going to challenge for the backup QB spot on the Dallas Cowboys.  Well at least he has good height. 

Have you seen Mike White throw a football?

It was a joke directed at my favorite poster in this thread.(plus I misread the position the first time I saw it, and left it...because trolling)

Also calling a guy like Lewis, a 3rd round pick, a bust after 2 years is really saying something. The dude was unlucky enough to be a midget corner in a scheme that changed in him when Richard came in after he was drafted.

He’s also shown he CAN play and has. Dude damn near won the game against the Saint by absolutely smothering Kamara(who couldn’t be stopped by anyone) all by himself.

But yeah, that’s a bust. Same way Rosen is a bust because the Cards changed regimes and coaches and drafted another guy.

Context matters.

There’s going to be a day where Dak gets lit up, has to leave the field for concussion protocol, and Mike White is going to go in the game. When that happens, this thread will melt down. 

I honestly don’t know if he’ll be able to do the job or not. But you know futuremans trolling of him being better than Troy ever was is pretty funny at times. So ribbing him is obviously a fun pastime.

McShay on favorite pick of Cowboys

Tony Pollard, RB/WR, Memphis (Round 4, No. 128 overall)

Pollard is super versatile, and Dallas is going to use him all over the place. He's going to line up in the slot. He's going to contribute in the run game, taking some of the load off Ezekiel Elliott and getting reps on third down. And he's going to play a big part in the return game, which needs a lot of work. Pollard averaged 30-plus yards per kickoff return over three seasons and took seven to the house. He has limited punt return experience, but he could theoretically factor in there as well.

He has size, speed and vision. If Dallas gets him going downhill, he's going to do some damage. Pollard is typically a one-cut-and-go back, but he'll show patience in waiting for the hole and then the acceleration to pull away. And he fits nicely with the Cowboys' zone-blocking scheme. Expect him to make an impact in multiple phases of the game.

Kiper rating B-

Top needs: Defensive tackle, wide receiver, safety

The Cowboys got a great rookie season from first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch a year ago, and the defense took a step forward under Rod Marinelli and Kris Richard as they won the NFC East and a wild-card game. But there were still holes, particular at defensive tackle and safety. Remember that Dallas hasn't made the playoffs in consecutive seasons since 2006-07. And with no first-rounder because of the trade for Amari Cooper(Jerry Jones is OK with that deal, no matter what Cooper's new contract look like), it had to fill those needs on Day 2. Did it do that?

I'm not so sure. Defensive tackle Trysten Hill was a reach at No. 58, but I see why Marinelli might like him. He has a great motor and some physical traits, but you wonder why he didn't produce consistently in the AAC. I had a fourth-round grade on him. I would have gone safety with Taylor Rapp, Juan Thornhilland Nasir Adderley still on the board. There was good value with my second-ranked guard Connor McGovern at No. 90, and he could be insurance for Travis Frederick at center, too. The ESPN draft projection system thought highly of him.

Dallas took two running backs on Day 3 -- Tony Pollard (No. 128) and Mike Weber(No. 218) -- and there was a quiet need for someone to spell Ezekiel Elliott. Jalen Jelks (No. 241) flashed top-50 talent but never put it all together. He has measurables that make the seventh round a steal.

To not get a safety until the sixth round made me scratch my head a little bit -- that was such a glaring need. Let me ask you: Did Dallas get any immediate starters here? Cooper doesn't count. Hill is an enigmatic player, and Pollard is more of a luxury pick. I do like taking McGovern and making sure the offensive line stays a strength of the team.

14 hours ago, Drew said:

Why doesn’t Vic just use his Surly handle on Twitter?

This was a solid if unspectacular draft. Just the way it should be. They already “made a splash” with the Cooper trade. The rest are solid role players this year, with some probably starters in the future.

This isn’t 2009 all over again, no matter what idiots try to say. They didn’t draft “backups” they drafted guys that will help this year and continue the run of solid roster building through the draft.

I don't agree with F,  but his overall assessment of over-drafting seems appropriate. Pollard wasn't going before the 6th round, if at all. It was a silly pick for another mythical Swiss army knife player that will end up sitting on the bench for years for all his vast potential that will never be fulfilled. It's a familiar pattern. It's a really poor drafting strategy.

Their second round pick is a bit of a risk factor, but I think it's a decent risk to take per the talent and importance of that position. I'm OK with taking the guard because he's probably prettty solid, and the Cowboys have had depth problems on OL, maybe he can even back up at right tackle in a pinch, or maybe he can provide decent depth across the line for a few years coming. The 5th round guys seem like 5th round guys, so that's good, maybe at least one of them will end up with some value.

I'm not going to tap my toes together, make a wish and activate Pollyanna fanboy mode just because the Cowboys are God's team and can do no wrong. I live in the real world.

More updated UDFA list for Cowboys ( Last updated on Sunday, April 28th at 4:25pm ET.)

Player Position School
Daniel Wise DT Kansas
Chris Westry CB Kentucky
Jon'Vea Johnson WR Toledo
Jalen Guyton WR North Texas
Brandon Knight OL Indiana
Ricky Walker DT Virginia Tech
Justin Phillips LB Oklahoma State
Luke Gifford LB Nebraska
Mitch Hyatt OT Clemson
Derrick Puni OL Central Missouri
Andrew Dowell LB Michigan State
Nate Hall LB Northwestern
Larry Allen Jr. OL Harvard
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Why draft two rb’s ?

three is too many. 

23 hours ago, Drew said:

They already “made a splash” with the Cooper trade. 

I hate this argument.  late 1st round picks don’t get $80MM deals. 

13 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Westry at 6’4” with a 4.3 40 is awesome

what’s wrong with him?. something is very wrong with him if that much physical talent went undrafted. 

9 hours ago, Drew said:

Have you seen Mike White throw a football?

you clearly haven’t.  his arm talent is unmatched league-wide save for aaron rodgers.  and he’s going to play and he will excel.  he is going to save this team from the death blow of a dak contract and usher us into a new dynasty.  the white dynasty. 

8 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Larry Allen Jr getting a crack. Please be like your father 

nobody will ever be like his father. 

Might seem weird, but 2-3 of the UDFA's the Cowboys just signed have better chances to make the roster than a few of the 2019 Cowboys Draft picks.  

Still not sure why a safety wasn't drafted earlier?  Not a fan of Mike Weber selection.... he fumbles too much and lacks agility and ability to break tackles.

Edited by LTtxfan

Might seem weird, but 2-3 of the UDFA's the Cowboys just signed have better chances to make the roster than a few of the 2019 Cowboys Draft picks.  
Still not sure why a safety wasn't drafted earlier?  Not a fan of Mike Weber selection.... he fumbles too much and lacks agility and ability to break tackles.

He’s a 7th rounder. If he fumbles in camp he’s gone. Not sure why anyone have a problem with takin anyone from the 5th round on.

I don't agree with F,  but his overall assessment of over-drafting seems appropriate. Pollard wasn't going before the 6th round, if at all. It was a silly pick for another mythical Swiss army knife player that will end up sitting on the bench for years for all his vast potential that will never be fulfilled. It's a familiar pattern. It's a really poor drafting strategy.
Their second round pick is a bit of a risk factor, but I think it's a decent risk to take per the talent and importance of that position. I'm OK with taking the guard because he's probably prettty solid, and the Cowboys have had depth problems on OL, maybe he can even back up at right tackle in a pinch, or maybe he can provide decent depth across the line for a few years coming. The 5th round guys seem like 5th round guys, so that's good, maybe at least one of them will end up with some value.
I'm not going to tap my toes together, make a wish and activate Pollyanna fanboy mode just because the Cowboys are God's team and can do no wrong. I live in the real world.

Who says Pollard wasn’t going before the 6th? Or even in drafted? We really have no idea since NFL teams boards are always drastically different from mock drafts and “experts”.

Pollard might have gone one he next few picks. Or the 7th round. We sinuous don’t know. And as always, the draft is a crap shoot and teams grade played and take played based on how they think they’ll help. They obviously believe he will and I have no reason to doubt them.

They had to know Thornhill would not make it to their next pick. I am not so sure on Hill though. I suspect it was highly likely he would be available in the 3rd.

I also find it interesting that Stephen Jones has come out saying they do not value safeties and are comfortable with what they have. Wasn't it just a few years ago they said the same about Hill's position and are seemingly desperate to draft him this year because the position has performed average?

17 minutes ago, pacman said:

They had to know Thornhill would not make it to their next pick. I am not so sure on Hill though. I suspect it was highly likely he would be available in the 3rd.

I also find it interesting that Stephen Jones has come out saying they do not value safeties and are comfortable with what they have. Wasn't it just a few years ago they said the same about Hill's position and are seemingly desperate to draft him this year because the position has performed average?

The difference being David Irving's potential going up in smoke this past season/offseason.

21 minutes ago, pacman said:

It's a well-known fact that Stephen Jones has shit for his brains 

I think once you get much past the 2nd round, it's hard to say how any of these guys will turn out. NFL-wide, a few will be great surprises, some will be nothing much, and some will contribute for a varying number of years. Not really much point in arguing it until we see them play.

We are better at this than we used to be under Jerry. Since 2010, we've actually been pretty good with 1rst round choices. 2nd round has worked more often than not as well. 3rd and beyond has been spottier, but there have been some contributors and one noticeable surprise with Dak (I know some people are down on him now, but he's done more than you expect from a 4th rounder). I credit other people, not Jerry, but the difference is noticeable.

Now that I've said it, watch us go all in on another special teams draft in 2020. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew said:

He’s a 7th rounder. If he fumbles in camp he’s gone. Not sure why anyone have a problem with takin anyone from the 5th round on.

^^What are things Bill Belichick would never say.. Alex....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

They saw they were now missing an athletic 3 tech tackle with poor work ethic who doesn't get along with coaches and decided they needed to fill that right away?

Exactly. They realized they could no longer puff out their chest with their 3 tech play, and saw one in the draft that they couldn't pass on. 

SIAP:  Just stumbled on this Gregg Rosenthal write-up from right after the NFL Combine.  Not fun to read, but lots of good info on Cowboys roster management......

INDIANAPOLIS -- The most exciting moment of the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine was an inbox notification: "Dallas Cowboys agree to contract terms with Jason Witten.". After making sure this wasn't the email equivalent of a RapSheeeet tweet, the transaction initially looked like a classic win-win-win-win scenario.

Witten is able to do what he loves best in the world, "getting back in the dirt," as he put it. The Cowboyswere able to add a veteran presence at a young, thin position on the roster. ESPN and Witten were given a smooth exit strategy from an unfortunate alignment that had grown untenable by Witten's final two broadcasts in Oakland and Orlando. Viewers who cherish Monday nights have better days to look forward to next season.  And then I saw Witten's contract terms and what they say about the Cowboys. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Witten will earn up to $5 million, with a $3.5 million base salary. Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Witten has agreed to play roughly 25 snaps a game, making him an awfully expensive backup. Who, exactly, were the Cowboys bidding against?

Perhaps it's unrealistic to expect Witten to accept a salary that is closer to the league minimum, but he's a 37-year-old tight end who did not move well recently, averaging 8.9 yards-per-catch in 2017, before taking a year off the sport. Already, there is talk about Witten's value as a "coach on the field," and his potential future coaching prospects, but that's valuable salary cap space to spend on redirecting a franchise legend's career path.

If there has been one consistent failing of the Cowboys' personnel moves during the Jerry Jones era, it has been sentimentality. Jones often rewards his favorite players too well for too long, the opposite of Bill Belichick's approach of sometimes letting go of a player a year too early. They haven't always self-scouted well.  Witten's signing won't make or break the Cowboys' 2019 season, but it's part of a larger trend that has held the organization back. And it arrives during an offseason where the team has crucial decisions to make and contracts to create.

The team waited for Randy Gregory and David Irvingto turn their careers around for too long. With Gregory suspended indefinitely and Irving likely to leave in free agency, they are more desperate than ever to re-sign DeMarcus Lawrence to a massive contract extension. (They could have signed Lawrence last offseason for cheaper.) The Cowboys tried and mostly struggled to develop a successor to Witten, with Blake Jarwin in-house and Geoff Swaim about to hit free agency. Adding Witten to the team's offense will immediately make them slower, so they will need to add speed to a receiver group undergoing major turnover with Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Cole Beasley and possibly Allen Hurns all likely on the way out. Jones needs cap space to work on extensions for Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Byron Jones and Amari Cooper.

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said this week that coach Jason Garrett needed to take the "next step"this season before getting a new contract, throwing down the gauntlet that an early playoff loss isn't good enough. It's hard to take a step forward, however, when the front office so often struggles to let go of the past.

Just out today......

Cowturd's 2019 Post-Draft NFL Hierarchy 

• Patriots  #1
  • Colts.     #2
  • Rams.    #3
  • Eagles    #4
  • Steelers  #5
  • Packers  #6
  • Chiefs.    #7
  • Chargers  #8
  • 49ers       #9
  • Cowboys #10

No Saints or Texans ???

Edited by LTtxfan

The fucking Browns have better odds right now than Dallas to win it all. Lmao. Trust the process!
59325862_2665079550205451_3975733346234793984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=2b2c5777c0a6211ae4352d9368ec7bbe&oe=5D6A2214
Hmmm...its almost like vegas wants to entice the long suffering browns fans to throw some $$$ away while hedging the just in case...man what a crazy idea
  • Like 2