Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Already posted this in a recruiting thread, but thought s few Cowboy fans would be interested:

Back on April 28th my son met Tashard Choice at the airport in Austin.  Just now found out that he's the new RB coach and offensive recruiting coordinator for Georgia Tech......

Good for him, always liked that guy.

Right this minute, 30 million has been reserved for QBs who have won or made it to a SB and NFL MVP's.  Dak is none of those.  I understand the velocity and inflation of QB contracts but if he wants a deal done this summer, then he needs to be paid commensurate with where he is as a QB.  He's an above average QB who has potential but he's not in a class with Rodgers, Wilson, Ben, etc.  He's been way underpaid but no reason to try and overpay now.  I understand his position and the plethora of QB deals coming up but if he wants to play hardball, then you could always defer until next season with the franchise tag in your back pocket.  See what happens while trying to continue to build around the position.  

Here's my thing with Dak - he absolutely requires too many other components of the offense to be excellent in order for him to be effective. When we had a healthy zeke and an above average line, but no elite WR like at the beginning of last year, Dak sucked shit through a straw. He wasn't just "average". He was FUCKING TERRIBLE. But then as soon as we trade for Cooper, he looks great. If he has good line play and decent WRs, but no running game, like when Zeke was out the year before, he again looked like shit. I am fine giving the dude $28 per year, but Dak doesn't make your team better. He's a game manager in every sense of the word, and you can't pay a guy $30+ a year if he doesn't make your team better. 

Nick Foles contract is another one that really fucks with the market. If you’re Dak’s agent, how are you looking at that contract compared to what your guy should get. Foles has a super bowl, and he’s started less games in his 7 year career than Dak has in his 3 year career. A lot of fluke shit is happening in the qb market.

Its tough because I don’t necessarily disagree with you Patrick Bateman, but do you really expect this team to dive back into the QB market? They love Dak. They love the leader that he is, they love how he’s never missed a snap in his nfl career (other than the tony Romo/mark Sanchez game where we were resting guys), and they love that he tends to show up in crunch time (or at least he doesn’t fold in crunch time). I still think $28 mil a year gets in done, and that’s reasonable for both sides. I’d love to see Dak take $25 mil a year, but I just don’t see his agent letting that happen. Not when he’s been the most underpaid player in the nfl for the last 3 years.

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Here's my thing with Dak - he absolutely requires too many other components of the offense to be excellent in order for him to be effective. When we had a healthy zeke and an above average line, but no elite WR like at the beginning of last year, Dak sucked shit through a straw. He wasn't just "average". He was FUCKING TERRIBLE. But then as soon as we trade for Cooper, he looks great. If he has good line play and decent WRs, but no running game, like when Zeke was out the year before, he again looked like shit. I am fine giving the dude $28 per year, but Dak doesn't make your team better. He's a game manager in every sense of the word, and you can't pay a guy $30+ a year if he doesn't make your team better. 

See, I think Tyron smith being out was a bigger factor than Zeke being out. He got sacked what, like 9 times in that falcons game (the first game zeke and Tyron Smith were out). Chaz Green replacing Tyron Smith was a much bigger drop off than Morris replacing zeke. Up until that point, Dak was lights out. That game kinda broke him a litte bit, and it wasn’t until he had a wr that he knew could consistently beat single coverage that he started feeling comfortable getting the ball out quickly again.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

See, I think Tyron smith being out was a bigger factor than Zeke being out. He got sacked what, like 9 times in that falcons game (the first game zeke and Tyron Smith were out). Chaz Green replacing Tyron Smith was a much bigger drop off than Morris replacing zeke. Up until that point, Dak was lights out. That game kinda broke him a litte bit, and it wasn’t until he had a wr that he knew could consistently beat single coverage that he started feeling comfortable getting the ball out quickly again.

And yet we still have to look for reasons why Dak sucks when he sucks. It's always someone else's fault - Tyron's hurt back, Zeke being out, Not having a #1 receiver. When has Dak ever overcome one of those things to win a game? Has he ever? 

If Dak becomes a free agent, is there a line of teams ready to pay him $30 million a year? The answer is probably no. But as long as there is one team willing to do so, then that’s the price of poker. 

This just feels like another case of Jerry bidding against himself and overpaying a player that is not as highly valued as he thinks they are. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Right this minute, 30 million has been reserved for QBs who have won or made it to a SB and NFL MVP's.  Dak is none of those.  I understand the velocity and inflation of QB contracts but if he wants a deal done this summer, then he needs to be paid commensurate with where he is as a QB.  He's an above average QB who has potential but he's not in a class with Rodgers, Wilson, Ben, etc.  He's been way underpaid but no reason to try and overpay now.  I understand his position and the plethora of QB deals coming up but if he wants to play hardball, then you could always defer until next season with the franchise tag in your back pocket.  See what happens while trying to continue to build around the position.  

That's irrelevant. Long term contracts are always about the future. $30 mil will soon be the price for an average QB who has a chance to be good. 

So the Cowboys can wait a year as the price keeps going up, then franchise him next year for $29-30 mil. Now you have a pissed off Dak that probably boycotts the offseason + training camp at the very least. The last player you can afford to not participate in the whole offseason is the QB. He may also hold out a bit this year if he doesn't get a contract.  

Still waiting for the name of that unicorn QB that we can pay instead of Dak. He has all the leverage and there's no reason for him to take a penny less than the shitty QBs who have been paid recently. 

Good QBs, even average to good, are scarce AF,  and the recent QB market has reflected that fact. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

25 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

That's irrelevant. Long term contracts are always about the future. $30 mil will soon be the price for an average QB who has a chance to be good. 

So the Cowboys can wait a year as the price keeps going up, then franchise him next year for $29-30 mil. Now you have a pissed off Dak that probably boycotts the offseason + training camp at the very least. The last player you can afford to not participate in the whole offseason is the QB. He may also hold out a bit this year if he doesn't get a contract.  

Still waiting for the name of that unicorn QB that we can pay instead of Dak. He has all the leverage and there's no reason for him to take a penny less than the shitty QBs who have been paid recently. 

Good QBs, even average to good, are scarce AF,  and the recent QB market has reflected that fact. 

It's not irrelevant.  Bad organizations grossly overpay guys based on what they could be.  If a player wants that type of potential built in, then incentives are and can be a good option for a player thought to be in ascension without guaranteeing money.  I'm not saying underpay him, I was among the first last year to see the market and tell folks to get ready for Dak to get 25ish million AAV.  But 30 or more guaranteed AAV is putting the lion's share of risk on the franchise if he doesn't produce.  If it's something like 135/5 with 70 million guaranteed and 75m easily accountable in the first 3 years then that's very fair.  If he starts every game then let that be more money.  If he makes an All-Pro team (seemingly a way to judge if he had a good season), then another incentive.  Built incentives can be good, nobody's saying leave the guy in destitute.  I like Dak but his critics have valid concerns, namely that he needs a lot of quality around him to win ball games.    

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How much does Zak make in 2019 if a new contract is not done..... $2mill right?? 

Then what would Dak's franchise tag salary be for 2020??

Nobody knows.  2019 QB franchise value is 24.865 million.  With a couple of other deals expected to be signed, he could easily go up 2-4 million, but not necessarily.  It was 23.8m in 2017.  A lot depends on the structures of these new deals coming to market and whether or not they're free agent deals or extensions.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's not irrelevant.  Bad organizations grossly overpay guys based on what they could be.  If a player wants that type of potential built in, then incentives are and can be a good option for a player thought to be in ascension without guaranteeing money.  I'm not saying underpay him, I was among the first last year to see the market and tell folks to get ready for Dak to get 25ish million AAV.  But 30 or more guaranteed AAV is putting the lion's share of risk on the franchise if he doesn't produce.  If it's something like 135/5 with 70 million guaranteed and 75m easily accountable in the first 3 years then that's very fair.  If he starts every game then let that be more money.  If he makes an All-Pro team (seemingly a way to judge if he had a good season), then another incentive.  Built incentives can be good, nobody's saying leave the guy in destitute.  I like Dak but his critics have valid concerns, namely that he needs a lot of quality around him to win ball games.    

Nobody knows.  2019 QB franchise value is 24.865 million.  With a couple of other deals expected to be signed, he could easily go up 2-4 million, but not necessarily.  It was 23.8m in 2017.  A lot depends on the structures of these new deals coming to market and whether or not they're free agent deals or extensions.

You're missing the point. It's not overpaying if that's the current market price for an average QB who has had some really good games/moments. Not only that, the price for a QB is only going to go higher. That's a fact. 

What you're also not taking into account is that the team is finally built for a run (barring injuries), and there are literally no other good options at QB. 

I keep seeing this but what QB wins without "quality guys around him"? Maybe Brady? But he has the best coach ever. We've seen Rodgers when his team isn't very good. That goes for Ryan, Stafford and the rest. Dak had literally the worst WR and TE group in the league and people are bitching that he can't overcome it and win games. Or when he was getting murdered 8 times in a game, he should've just overcome it. 

Even Romo had plenty of weapons when he was carrying this team on his poor back. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, irishtexan said:

And yet we still have to look for reasons why Dak sucks when he sucks. It's always someone else's fault - Tyron's hurt back, Zeke being out, Not having a #1 receiver. When has Dak ever overcome one of those things to win a game? Has he ever? 

Well except for those 3 games he won without Tyron AND Zeke in 2017. 

And that's not to mention Sean Lee missed those games too back when they had NO LB's and flat did not win games that Lee didn't play in before they got the beasts at LB they have now.

This gets more ridiculous every day.

Edited by Drew

On 5/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

What has jimmy garafolo won?  How many games has he won with the talent in sf?  How much money does he make?

what has Kirk cousins won?  How much does he make?

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Well except for those 3 games he won without Tyron AND Zeke in 2017. 

And that's not to mention Sean Lee missed those games too back when they had NO LB's and flat did not win games that Lee didn't play in before they got the beasts at LB they have now.

This gets more ridiculous every day.

all that’s ridiculous is people thinking he’s a talented qb worth top money. 

53 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What has jimmy garafolo won?  How many games has he won with the talent in sf?  How much money does he make?

the thing about those two guys... when you watch them play it’s apparent that they have NFL caliber arms and can stand in the pocket and push the ball downfield and have the physical tools to be elite quarterbacks.  so GMs bet on them.  dak has the physical tools of a fullback, can’t read defenses, can’t push the ball downfield, and in general just sucks shit through a straw when it comes to the quarterback position.  but his inspirational fullback-style scrambles and all his checkdowns that inflate his completion percentage have people actually believing he is worth over $25MM per season.  2019 is gonna be a great season for me personally because dak is gonna completely fall on his fat, dumb face and vic and drew and all the rest of you who doubted my skills of talent evaluation will have to say “yeah futureman you were definitely right about dak.  he is fucking terrible.  please accept my apology.”  and I’ll accept all of your apologies.  I’m not a prideful man.  

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Exactly. The teams that paid them that much fucked up royally. That's not a mistake to emulate. 

To me, if a QB can't win a title or even get to a conference title game with a top 10 OL, RB, and defense behind him then he's not worth paying top 10 QB money. Dak is very solid but if the goal is championships he's not sniffing one without an elite defense, running game, and WR play around him. He's not putting up a title with the teams Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Rothlisberger won with. He needs a Denver defense that carried Manning's broken down ass to a title a few years ago. To build that kind of defense takes more money than you can spend if the QB is making 30+ mil a year. 

Honestly, I'd rather the team be dogshit and I know to just not pay attention to them (like the Rangers are now) than to be just good enough to give you hope before getting that hope smashed back to the reality the QB or the team around the QB isn't good enough to win a title. 

Edited by Junior Miller

1 hour ago, futureman said:

all that’s ridiculous is people thinking he’s a talented qb worth top money. 

the thing about those two guys... when you watch them play it’s apparent that they have NFL caliber arms and can stand in the pocket and push the ball downfield and have the physical tools to be elite quarterbacks.  so GMs bet on them.  dak has the physical tools of a fullback, can’t read defenses, can’t push the ball downfield, and in general just sucks shit through a straw when it comes to the quarterback position.  but his inspirational fullback-style scrambles and all his checkdowns that inflate his completion percentage have people actually believing he is worth over $25MM per season.  2019 is gonna be a great season for me personally because dak is gonna completely fall on his fat, dumb face and vic and drew and all the rest of you who doubted my skills of talent evaluation will have to say “yeah futureman you were definitely right about dak.  he is fucking terrible.  please accept my apology.”  and I’ll accept all of your apologies.  I’m not a prideful man.  

I will feed the troll. Yea... SMH...Dak doesn't have an NFL caliber arm

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000687916/Dak-Prescott-connects-with-Brice-Butler-for-a-58-yard-gain

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Exactly. The teams that paid them that much fucked up royally. That's not a mistake to emulate. 

To me, if a QB can't win a title or even get to a conference title game with a top 10 OL, RB, and defense behind him then he's not worth paying top 10 QB money. Dak is very solid but if the goal is championships he's not sniffing one without an elite defense, running game, and WR play around him. He's not putting up a title with the teams Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Rothlisberger won with. He needs a Denver defense that carried Manning's broken down ass to a title a few years ago. To build that kind of defense takes more money than you can spend if the QB is making 30+ mil a year. 

Honestly, I'd rather the team be dogshit and I know to just not pay attention to them (like the Rangers are now) than to be just good enough to give you hope before getting that hope smashed back to the reality the QB or the team around the QB isn't good enough to win a title. 

Among other things, you're seriously trying to say young Rothlisberger who played like ass and threw the shittiest balls we've seen in any SB wasn't carried by that great defense?

"Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Rothlisberger" are 3 of the best QBs of any era. Saying if he's not as good as them he shouldn't be paid 30 mil is simply idiotic. 

Still waiting for you idiots to name the superbowl winning QB we can sign instead........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Among other things, you're seriously trying to say young Rothlisberger who played like ass and threw the shittiest balls we've seen in any SB wasn't carried by that great defense?

"Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Rothlisberger" are 3 of the best QBs of any era. Saying if he's not as good as them he shouldn't be paid 30 mil is simply idiotic. 

Still waiting for you idiots to name the superbowl winning QB we can sign instead........

Trent Dilfer

Where do we go from here, boys?

The timing of all these contracts, quite frankly, spells utter disaster for this team moving forward after next year.

I’ll say Dallas has done a damn good job of drafting and trading under the Garrett era, but next year is our last shot a championship for a while.

18 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

thousands of high schoolers across the country can reach back and sling a football 50 yards.  good try though. 

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

thousands of high schoolers across the country can reach back and sling a football 50 yards.  good try though. 

First off cockface, that beautiful ball went 62 yards in the air, which is plenty for an NFL QB. Dak has repeatedly shown that he has "an NFL caliber arm". What he hasn't shown is consistency and he has the tendency to revert to bad habits/footwork along with not trusting the pocket since getting gangbanged in Atlanta. 

His arm strength is just fine. Nice try though. 

• Like 1

First off cockface, that beautiful ball went 62 yards in the air, which is plenty for an NFL QB. Dak has repeatedly shown that he has "an NFL caliber arm". What he hasn't shown is consistency and he has the tendency to revert to bad habits/footwork along with not trusting the pocket since getting gangbanged in Atlanta. 
Don't waste your time with the resident troll. It's his shtick. Dak seems to have fucked his mom and made him watch by his agenda against him. He will turn any topic into Dak. You can bring up the punter and somehow he will bring it back to Dak.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Don't waste your time with the resident troll. It's his shtick. Dak seems to have fucked his mom and made him watch by his agenda against him. He will turn any topic into Dak. You can bring up the punter and somehow he will bring it back to Dak.

Yea, I know. I guess I'm just as bored as he is at the moment. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Thank you for making my point.  You don't emulate poor general management decisions.  You try to learn from them and avoid them, not double down on them.  I know Jerrah won't and we'll overpay Dak because Jerrah loves him, simply pointing out there are other ways to play this.  Maybe one shouldn't place their trust in a GM who since taking over player personnel decisions hasn't been able to assemble a team who has even won a conference championship in almost 25 years.  

• Like 1

Dude on the radio made a good point today. Last 3 seasons Cowboys have had the advantage of having Dak be the most valuable player in the league per dollar spent. That has allowed them to be competitive and win the division twice. The second he gets paid he instantly becomes one of the worst value players in the league per dollar spent and becomes an obstacle the Cowboys have to overcome. Going from having the most valuable player per dollar to one of the least valuable per dollar will most likely cause them to crash and burn unless they get really really hot in the next few drafts. Not one or two starter hot but 2016 draft level hot. 

That's also a HUGE overstatement.  They've been paying Romo the last half of his cap hit, PLUS Dez, AND Dak for all that time as well.  It's only an advantage because we paid Dak to do a 25+ million dollar QB's job pennies on the dollar.

Once again, it's the market...no you can't just keep repeating mistakes, but there's one thing this team has done of the last decade, and that's draft well and handle the cap. They will not become a bad team because of the contracts they sign.  Not in today's NFL.  If they start drafting poorly THEN they'll be in trouble.

• Like 1

Peter King's pre-camp rankings.....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/13/nfl-power-rankings-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatwking#the-lead-rankings

16. *DALLAS COWBOYS (11-7)

Best news of the offseason for the Cowboys, easily, didn’t come in free agency (through re-signing pass-rusher DeMarcus Lawrence for five years was big) or the draft. It came on the field in the last few weeks, when the Cowboys have seen the best center in football, Travis Frederick, return to form after missing 2018 with an autoimmune disorder that attacked his nervous system and left him feeling weak for months. “He looks really good,” said coach Jason Garrett. “It’s good to see him out there in a stance, running football plays.” In 2017, with Frederick as the linchpin, Dallas had the best line in the NFC. The Cowboys can reclaim that if Frederick’s back whole.

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Dude on the radio made a good point today. Last 3 seasons Cowboys have had the advantage of having Dak be the most valuable player in the league per dollar spent. That has allowed them to be competitive and win the division twice. The second he gets paid he instantly becomes one of the worst value players in the league per dollar spent and becomes an obstacle the Cowboys have to overcome. Going from having the most valuable player per dollar to one of the least valuable per dollar will most likely cause them to crash and burn unless they get really really hot in the next few drafts. Not one or two starter hot but 2016 draft level hot. 

I know Drew already bear me to it, but this is an idiotic take if I’ve ever seen one.  Yeah, let’s not worry about the 2 guys on the Cap that were giving zero value per dollar spent, but start bitching about it when you’re still spending it and getting the same production from the guy your weren’t paying those zero value dollars.   That’s asinine.   Guess we should’ve traded up to get Daniel Jones at 6 

Some more for you pussies.

According to Next Gen Stats’ Aggressiveness metric, which tracks the amount of passing attempts where a defender is within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. Prescott threw into some of the tightest windows in 2018 and was tied for No. 8 with a mark of 17.7 percent. He threw into tighter coverage at a higher rate in 2017, having to thread the needle on 19.2 percent of his passes. The addition of Amari Cooper, one of the league’s best route runners, help immensely.

Prescott’s high aggressiveness in the passing game is a double-edged sword. On one hand it could be seen as a good thing because it means that he is not afraid to make tough throws. However, having a high aggressiveness is not necessary for offensive success. For instance, Patrick Mahomes was ranked No. 36 in terms of aggressiveness, and the Kansas City Chiefs achieved the most efficient passing offense in 2018 per Football Outsiders DVOA metric (62.9 percent).

As a polar opposite, in 2018 the Cowboys were one of the league’s worst in Passing DVOA (-0.8 percent). It could be argued this is merely a symptom of the team’s style of play. But it is something that will need to be improved in order for Prescott to further develop as a cornerstone player. Having to constantly throw into tight coverage would be hard to sustain.

Approximate Value

To start his career Prescott has captained a Cowboys team that has won 32 games in three seasons, a win-rate of 66 percent. He has started in 48 career games boasting a record of  32-16, and achieved Pro Bowl status in 2016 and 2018 respectively.

According to Pro-Football-References’ Approximate Value, which places a value on each player for each season across all periods of the NFL, Prescott is one of the top ranked quarterbacks in terms of AV since entering the league in 2016.

prescott-av.png?w=1000

Prescott is tied with Russell Wilson over the last three seasons. In that same span he has 14 game winning drives and 8 fourth quarter comebacks. There is no denying Prescott’s impact on the team, and he has been a crucial factor in the Cowboys’ recent string of success.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

According to Next Gen Stats’ Aggressiveness metric, which tracks the amount of passing attempts where a defender is within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. Prescott threw into some of the tightest windows in 2018 and was tied for No. 8 with a mark of 17.7 percent. He threw into tighter coverage at a higher rate in 2017, having to thread the needle on 19.2 percent of his passes. The addition of Amari Cooper, one of the league’s best route runners, help immensely.

Prescott’s high aggressiveness in the passing game is a double-edged sword. On one hand it could be seen as a good thing because it means that he is not afraid to make tough throws. However, having a high aggressiveness is not necessary for offensive success. For instance, Patrick Mahomes was ranked No. 36 in terms of aggressiveness, and the Kansas City Chiefs achieved the most efficient passing offense in 2018 per Football Outsiders DVOA metric (62.9 percent).

As a polar opposite, in 2018 the Cowboys were one of the league’s worst in Passing DVOA (-0.8 percent). It could be argued this is merely a symptom of the team’s style of play. But it is something that will need to be improved in order for Prescott to further develop as a cornerstone player. Having to constantly throw into tight coverage would be hard to sustain.

Approximate Value

To start his career Prescott has captained a Cowboys team that has won 32 games in three seasons, a win-rate of 66 percent. He has started in 48 career games boasting a record of  32-16, and achieved Pro Bowl status in 2016 and 2018 respectively.

According to Pro-Football-References’ Approximate Value, which places a value on each player for each season across all periods of the NFL, Prescott is one of the top ranked quarterbacks in terms of AV since entering the league in 2016.

prescott-av.png?w=1000

Prescott is tied with Russell Wilson over the last three seasons. In that same span he has 14 game winning drives and 8 fourth quarter comebacks. There is no denying Prescott’s impact on the team, and he has been a crucial factor in the Cowboys’ recent string of success.

Had enough analytics talk reading Houston Rockets stuff.

Decide if Dak is your guy or not Dallas.... If so pay him fairly!!

• Like 1

stats are for losers.  dak fucking sucks, period.  he’s going to ruin this team if jerry sells out the fanbase for that phony fucking overrated dumbass fullback masquerading as a quarterback.  

we will be the luckiest team in pro sports if we surpass .500 in 2019.  

Edited by futureman

Say what you want about Dak, but he comes through in crunch time. When we need to put a drive together, or he needs to make a play in a big spot, normally he gets it done. The haters will say that’s luck, and it can’t be duplicated from year to year, but I call bullshit on that. You don’t just luck into 8 fourth quarter comebacks, and 16 game winning drives in 3 years. And I get that a lot of times his play earlier in games puts him in a position to have to perform well in those spots. He has to improve, but I feel like it’s safe to bet on his work ethic, his leadership qualities, and his ability to nut up when we need him to. 

And I’ll believe it’s $30 mil/yr or higher when I see it. Dak isn’t stupid, he knows we’re trying to get his deal done ASAP, but we obviously still have to pay those guys. All these rumors are exactly that. Rumors. We “weren’t even close to getting a deal done with Lawrence,” until we were a week later and it was pretty fair for both sides. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Had enough analytics talk reading Houston Rockets stuff.

Decide if Dak is your guy or not Dallas.... If so pay him fairly!!

Analytics are useful for dispelling myths. They've already decided that Dak is the guy and now, when he's only making tree-fiddy, is the year to pay him so the yearly average during the extension will be lowered by 1/5 to 1/6. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

And I’ll believe it’s $30 mil/yr or higher when I see it. Dak isn’t stupid, he knows we’re trying to get his deal done ASAP, but we obviously still have to pay those guys. All these rumors are exactly that. Rumors. We “weren’t even close to getting a deal done with Lawrence,” until we were a week later and it was pretty fair for both sides. 

I'd bet on 28.5 with 70-75 guaranteed. On a 5 year extension, the yearly average for the 1 + 5 years would only be 23.8 a year. Even if they pay him 30, the yearly average would only be 25 mil. 

53 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I'd bet on 28.5 with 70-75 guaranteed. On a 5 year extension, the yearly average for the 1 + 5 years would only be 23.8 a year. Even if they pay him 30, the yearly average would only be 25 mil. 

FWIW Romo always got 6 year deals.  Just sayin. 

2 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Approximate Value

prescott-av.png?w=1000

At the very least information like this muddies any attempt at a definitive evaluation of Dak. It would be nice to see what he would do in an offense that wasn't as prehistoric as the shit we've been running his entire career. 

16 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

FWIW Romo always got 6 year deals.  Just sayin. 

No QB with even a little leverage is going to sign a 6 year extension. It just doesn't make any sense with the QB salary always going up. Now if the cowboys want to pay for it with higher per year or guaranteed money, then that's a different story. 

Expect the major QB deals to be 4-5 years like Wilson, Rogers, Ryan, and Cousins. 

They won't do this, but I'd be in favor of having Moore call a pass heavy offense this year that puts the game squarely on Dak's shoulders to see if he's capable of carrying the team. If he shows he can then sign him. If he can't then you know what you're getting into if you sign him and lose one/both of Cooper and Zeke. 

Edited by Junior Miller

They won't do this, but I'd be in favor of having Moore call a pass heavy offense this year that puts the game squarely on Dak's shoulders to see if he's capable of carrying the team. If he shows he can then sign him. If he can't then you know what you're getting into if you sign him and lose one/both of Cooper and Zeke. 
How about run the offense the best to our strengths? Purposely calling a different offense for that purpose is ridiculous.
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Yeah let’s just not use our best weapon on a regular basis while we’re in a championship window, just to see if Dak can carry a team. Great idea for a first year OC. Jesus fucking Christ lol

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rabidhorn said:

Dak is gonna get an offer of about 15 million a season and he better take it, if he continues his not star QB stature Dallas won't pay him tag for 25 mil one year.

Exactly the bubble is fixing to burst for QBs.  If Jerry offers him 1 dollar above league minimum, he should consider himself lucky.

• Like 2