Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Didn't the Giants have another pick later in the 1st? I am pretty sure he would have been there then. Hell, Haskins was seen as the better QB and he didn't go until 15. This QB class was pretty meh overall. Not the class I'd like to reach that far for. 

But as a Cowboys fan, I am pleased.

Redskins seemed to make some good picks yesterday. But they are still the organization who makes Dallas and Jerry seem competent so I'm sure it won't make a shit there.

I'm confident Jones probably woulda been there on day 2, but whateves.  If they believe he's the guy, I guess you go get him. 

5 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I'm confident Jones probably woulda been there on day 2, but whateves.  If they believe he's the guy, I guess you go get him. 

I mean that's all well and good and that is what Mike Fisher said on the Fan yesterday. That he grades a draft based on if a team got their guy. I don't buy into that. That is irrelevant if that guy ends up being a waste. Especially being that high of a pick. 

For sucking as bad as they have the last few years, I'd like to see more than that caliber of QB being taken. They got Barkeley last year and that was a solid pick but won't mean anything if the QB can't do anything. I read a report saying he may sit for a few years behind Eli? Lulz. Would be even better.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I mean that's all well and good and that is what Mike Fisher said on the Fan yesterday. That he grades a draft based on if a team got their guy. I don't buy into that. That is irrelevant if that guy ends up being a waste. Especially being that high of a pick. 

For sucking as bad as they have the last few years, I'd like to see more than that caliber of QB being taken. They got Barkeley last year and that was a solid pick but won't mean anything if the QB can't do anything. I read a report saying he may sit for a few years behind Eli? Lulz. Would be even better.

I agree. As a cowboys fan.  I love it too. 

• Like 1

Something has to go wrong with Sweat. The redskins getting him where they did is just too good to be true. 

Also, I think we end up trading up today (especially if saftey is the goal). No way we sit back and just watch Rapp, Garner-Johnson, and Thornhill go off the board. I feel like if two of the 3 go off the board, we consider moving up and getting whoever is left over of the 3.

27 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not a fan of Mike Fisher..... kind of a blowhard.  Selecting Jones with #6 pick is horrible for team as bad as NYGiants.  Trade back or at #6, select a better DL/OL player or even Devin Bush.  Jones would be available at #30 pick or even early 2nd Round.  Seems like 2-3 QBs still in the board are better QB prospects than Jones.

Draft Grades right after the draft are purely for fan entertainment..... Better to check back after a couple years and grade the 2019 Draft results then based on how the players selected are now performing.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know I keep mentioning his name in here, but Dane Brugler from the Athletic is the best in the biz when it comes to draft coverage.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/10/dallas-cowboys-2019-nfl-draft-dane-brugler-7-round-mock-draft/

Dane Brugler's 7-round mock draft keys in on Cowboys needs

By: C.C. Boorman | April 10, 2019 9:00 am ET

Here are Brugler’s predictions for who he feels may become the newest six Cowboys later this month.

Round 2, pick 58 – Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia

Thornhill is the sixth safety off the board behind Nasir Adderley, Johnathan Abram, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Deiontae Thompson and Taylor Rapp.  Juan Thornhill allowed the lowest passer rating among draft eligible safeties this season.  Although a true box safety to replace Jeff Heath would appear to be more in the cards, Thornhill would be a prize as he has shown he can line up anywhere.  His skill set would be well-rounded and deep with strong run/pass recognition, range and sure tackling. Thornhill is more of a matchup safety who has coverage and box skills, but isn’t well suited to be in single-high.

Round 3, pick 90 – Trysten Hill, DT, Central Florida

Hill’s selection may be a bit questionable as he does enter the draft with some lingering character red flags.  Hill was a starter his first two seasons, earning second-team all-conference honors his sophomore year. But lost his starting role after the Golden Knights replaced their coaching staff in 2018.

Lost in the shuffle and considered somewhat unmotivated by observers, Hill still had quality production in limited snaps, as he finished with 36 tackles, 10.5 stops for loss and three sacks.  UCF DT Trysten Hill has as busy a pre-draft schedule as you’ll see: 15 visits with teams and a dozen workouts. Among the teams who have brought him in: #Eagles, #Browns and #Packers. Looking like a Day 2 pick.  Many teams are taking a deeper dive into what makes Hill tick, including the Cowboys.  In this case, Brugler believes they like what they see and are prepared to plug him in to their crowded DT rotation.

Round 4, pick 128 – Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

Of all the picks Brugler forecasted, this one is probably the least expected, due in part to his uncertain injury status.  Love enters this draft coming off a litany of injuries suffered during his disappointing senior season.  He has a long checklist including a head injury, mild high left ankle sprain and a torn ACL suffering in his final college game in January.  Injury woes aside, Love proved he could be a dynamic and explosive change up back in the time after immediately succeeding Christian McCaffrey at Stanford. The expectation is that Love would be expected to take over the snaps left behind by Rod Smith and provide a deeper dimension as a receiving threat.  This might not be a bad guess considering the Cowboys have been comfortable crossing their fingers with injured prospects.

Round 4, pick 136 – John Cominsky, DE, Charleston

The 6-foot-5, 286-pound Cominsky was a decorated small college star at tiny Charleston, earning  2018 Mountain East Defensive Player of the Year honors.  To set himself up for his future shot at the big league, he also was able to put up insane numbers at the NFL Combine, finishing in the top 10 among defensive linemen in most the tested categories.  He could be the tweener-type who could take over the role occupied by Tyrone Crawford, running as an end at times and then flipping inside to provide interior pressure from the 3-technique.  His athletic profile is eye-popping and shows he has the physical tools.

Round 5, pick 165 – Cole Holcomb, OLB, North Carolina

Of all the choices Brugler assigned to the Cowboys, this selection may be the one that leaves many with questions as Holcomb is hardly a known commodity to many draft followers as he was not invited to the NFL Combine.  Holcomb was a participant in the East-West All-Star Game and regional combine where the 6-1, 235-pounder impressed on Monday with a 4.48 40-yard dash, 4.18 shuttle, 6.77 three-cone, 11-foot broad jump with 22 reps on the bench.  The Cowboys spent extensive time with Holcomb at North Carolina’s Pro Day workout, even getting him some time in a film session after the testing.  Cowboys love drafting LBs and could use some young depth. Late round QBs are just lottery tickets, worth taking a shot once in awhile if you see promise in the player.  Holcomb’s athleticism and ability to project as a coverage linebacker could make him a fit for Dallas’ wide open SOLB position, putting him in competition with Justin March-Lillard and 2018 draftee Chris Covington.

Round 7, pick 241 – Chris Westry, CB, Kentucky

Secondary coach Kris Richard loves length with his cornerbacks and Westry fits the bill. He also was a Combine snub who blew up his Pro Day measuring 6-foot-4, posting a 38-inch vertical and recorded a lightning fast 4.31-second 40-yard dash.  Much of what was prognosticated in this mock was a connect-the-dots exercise as all projections with the exception of Love were part of the 30 national visitors to The Star.

We will all find out for sure where each player will go when the Cowboys’ selections are made on April 26th and 27th in Nashville, but Brugler has given it his best educated guess.

Edited by LTtxfan

Jones was absolutely a reach, but if he's your guy, you can't get too cute.  Runs on some really shitty QBs have happened before.  In hindsight he absolutely would have been there at 17 or wherever their later pick was though.
The plan is to play Eli fo a few more years. They got rid of their best weapon at WR. Their line is still subpar defense is suspect. So they are going to suck for next years to come. The QB next few years will be better. Get your QB there. Gone are the days of sitting your top draft pick QBs behind a veteran. The name of the game now is to take advantage of that rookie QB contract.

Another name they keep throwing out there at 58 is Trystan Hill DT from UCF. If they go that route, and we don’t take a saftey, Jeff Heath will probably keep his job. I don’t know if you’re getting a saftey in the 3rd round that’s going to step in and beat out Heath from day one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Another name they keep throwing out there at 58 is Trystan Hill DT from UCF. If they go that route, and we don’t take a saftey, Jeff Heath will probably keep his job. I don’t know if you’re getting a saftey in the 3rd round that’s going to step in and beat out Heath from day one.

Isn't pick #58 considered a big reach for Trystan Hill??  Seems like he's more likely a late 3rd or 4th Round selection.....

(He's listed as a 4th in this article a week ago.)

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/17/18322964/five-defensive-tackle-prospects-that-would-fit-nicely-with-the-cowboys

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Winner winner chicken dinner. 

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Kudos....... Nailed It

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Isn't pick #58 considered a big reach for Trystan Hill??  Seems like he's more likely a late 3rd or 4th Round selection.....

(He's listed as a 4th in this article a week ago.)

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/17/18322964/five-defensive-tackle-prospects-that-would-fit-nicely-with-the-cowboys

The article says it would be a reach at 90, good thing they’re in at 58.

6 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Marinelli celebrating in the war room

Fuck this fraud. He's a huge reason this defense gets gashed when it matters but for some reason gets this credit when it isn't warranted. He should have left with Linehan. He loves these spare players so he actually isn't held accountable for failing with good players. That way he can keep hiding behind the mantra "he gets the most out of his guys". Fuck that. 

We are still handcuffed to this old geezer and his love affair with these spare DT players.