2019 Texas Softball - Connie's overboard, Anchors Aweigh!

TrashMaster G

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The outfielders we need are Rhodes and Burke. 

We need to find capable infielders so that those two can move back. 

Leave Burke at 1B or DH. Get Alexis Mack from the portal and put her and Shannon back in the OF. Get an IF from the portal and let her, Corona and Parker duke it out for 3B and SS. Or Tedder if she’s buying in

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Uh....maybe we will invite y'all to Austin for the Supers next year.

Missing the point, I hope we both get supers, both win our way to the WS, then meet there in the finals and OU does not even make it to the supers.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Leave Burke at 1B or DH. Get Alexis Mack from the portal and put her and Shannon back in the OF. Get an IF from the portal and let her, Corona and Parker duke it out for 3B and SS. Or Tedder if she’s buying in

Burke is not good defensively at 1B...

Coach Murphy with classy/courteous comments to open, talks about playing Texas in 2020/2021,  rest not worth listening.     Coach White' opens with comments with congrats to Alabama, instant replay, and further addresses the issue beginning at 3:22.   "Even Little League has instant replay"    Hope the "electronic strike zone" comment does not draw NCAA scrutiny.

From reading the coaching bios,   Murphy seems to be in charge of hitting.    He does an excellent job of the hitter  making adjustments.   Couple of early key hits were inside pitches that the Alabama hitter adjusted to and did not overswing.  

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

She had 3 errors all year.  That’s one more than the Alabama first baseman.  What do you want her to do?

What kind of range do you think the Alabama first baseman has?  I can’t speak to Burke specifically since I only watched a handful of games, but there’s more to good defense then not committing errors. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

She had 3 errors all year.  That’s one more than the Alabama first baseman.  What do you want her to do?

I'll preface with this is my opinion....

I just think Burke was forced to play 1B because she was Coach White's best option -- it's not her best defensive position.  Error stats can be misleading when you don't field that many plays.  On several balls hit Burke's way this season she demonstrated poor fundamentals acting like a matador waving at the ball as it passed instead of getting in front and knocking the ball down.  Burke does not typically save any poor throws from the other infielders which increases the number of team errors.  A better more experienced defensive first baseman would really help the Longhorns infield.  Then Burke could return to the outfield or be the DP.

One of my best friends that played 1B used to joke that there are no errors ever committed by a first baseman... 😀

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

One of my best friends that played 1B used to joke that there are no errors ever committed by a first baseman... 😀

One of the most embarrassing things I ever did was while playing 1B. Keep in mind, I was a multiple time Dixie Youth All-Star, not based on my batting but my fielding. Still, that did not stop me from a huge error aka brain fart. Had a runner on 1st, guy hits a line drive, which I catch for 2nd out of the rotation. Instead of just stepping on 1st base for the double play and ending the inning, I somehow tried to catch the runner in a run down, where the runner eventually beat me back to the bag. It hit me a beat later, how stupid I was, in that moment. It did not bite us, as our P threw a SO on the next guy but still.

6 minutes ago, bamachine said:

One of the most embarrassing things I ever did was while playing 1B. Keep in mind, I was a multiple time Dixie Youth All-Star, not based on my batting but my fielding. Still, that did not stop me from a huge error aka brain fart. Had a runner on 1st, guy hits a line drive, which I catch for 2nd out of the rotation. Instead of just stepping on 1st base for the double play and ending the inning, I somehow tried to catch the runner in a run down, where the runner eventually beat me back to the bag. It hit me a beat later, how stupid I was, in that moment. It did not bite us, as our P threw a SO on the next guy but still.

Footwork at 1B is not easily learned. Experience really makes a big difference...

Both LadyHorns and Horn's baseball team could use upgrades defensively at 1B.

Edited by LTtxfan

Not UT related,  but congrats to Texas Lutheran for winning the DIII National Championship.    Tournament was held at UT Tyler   Other teams were Emory, Trine, Williams, Easter Conn St (need to google 😊).    Most of the TLU players are from the Houston/SE Texas area with a couple of Cali ladies.    Our state has its share of softball talent.

https://tlubulldogs.com/roster.aspx?path=softball

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/texas-lutheran-wins-first-national-championship-in-program-history

Edited by torre

13 hours ago, torre said:

Not UT related,  but congrats to Texas Lutheran for winning the DIII National Championship.    Tournament was held at UT Tyler   Other teams were Emory, Trine, Williams, Easter Conn St (need to google 😊).    Most of the TLU players are from the Houston/SE Texas area with a couple of Cali ladies.    Our state has its share of softball talent.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/texas-lutheran-wins-first-national-championship-in-program-history

Now I get to say my daughter pitched against and beat a national champion this year!

• Like 2

I guess we should start watching/listening for transfer news now that the season is over for all but 8 teams (and let's be honest, there won't be too much attrition from those 8 teams who made it to OKC).

On 5/27/2019 at 11:14 PM, torre said:

I have a friend that recently played in the DIII tournament with MIT, so hits close to home and stuff

It'll be interesting to see what transpires over the summer...who leaves, who transfers in, and who our coaches start targeting on the recruiting trail.  I worry that we don't have a strong recruiter on this staff...great talent evaluators but not strong recruiters.  And I think it will get monumentally tougher now because of the moves aTm is making with their coaching staff.  The volunteer (responsible for hitting) has been fired, and one of the paid assistants is getting reassigned to Dir. of Ops.  That spot is being filled by a big name...Texas ties, ace recruiter and a name that will draw a lot of attention to College Station.  I wouldn't be shocked if we aren't more active on the transfer portal than in the club world, at least for this cycle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

It'll be interesting to see what transpires over the summer...who leaves, who transfers in, and who our coaches start targeting on the recruiting trail.  I worry that we don't have a strong recruiter on this staff...great talent evaluators but not strong recruiters.  And I think it will get monumentally tougher now because of the moves aTm is making with their coaching staff.  The volunteer (responsible for hitting) has been fired, and one of the paid assistants is getting reassigned to Dir. of Ops.  That spot is being filled by a big name...Texas ties, ace recruiter and a name that will draw a lot of attention to College Station.  I wouldn't be shocked if we aren't more active on the transfer portal than in the club world, at least for this cycle.

So who is this big name that aggy is hiring??

Craig Snider from FSU

Though he may end up like Gerry Glasco - hoping for Jo to retire or be fired, she makes a miracle run to OKC in 2021 and gets an extension so he leaves. 

Edited by Js1

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Craig Snider from FSU

Though he may end up like Gerry Glasco - hoping for Jo to retire or be fired, she makes a miracle run to OKC in 2021 and gets an extension so he leaves. 

I don't think the miracle is happening...aggy has no pitching on campus and none coming in (as of now).  It's quite possible that they could be worse next year than they were this year, which makes me wonder what Snider is thinking.

11 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Nice post !       Was Koalitis MW's ace recruiter at Oregon  ?

10 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

I don't think the miracle is happening...aggy has no pitching on campus and none coming in (as of now).  It's quite possible that they could be worse next year than they were this year, which makes me wonder what Snider is thinking.

Snider is married to his wife, Lauren, who is a native of Bellville, Texas. The two have a daughter, Riley, and a son, Henry.

https://seminoles.com/staff/craig-snider/

Salary and head coach in waiting ?   Bellville is 60 miles from CS.

Again, HCIW is more or less what Glasco thought he was getting into and then Crazy Old Jo saved her job with that miraculous OKC trip and he found a head job somewhere else.

Snider has to have gotten offers - I cannot believe he thinks more money at A&M under a failing head coach with poor talent will make him any more attractive than successfully making Supers/WCWS under Alameda at FSU.   Unless he just thinks a big job isn't going to open anytime soon and doesn't see the point in idling in the ACC when he could be making SEC money. 

Impressive.

Viewership continues to be record breaking for postseason collegiate softball as Alabama’s game three win over Texas last Saturday was the most watched Super Regional telecast of all-time garnering over one million viewers according to ShowBuzzDaily.com.

The Tide’s 8-5 win over Texas, which aired on ESPN, was watched by 1,005,000 million viewers which is the most watched Super Regional game and the most matched non-World Series matchup of all-time. It was part of a huge Saturday slate in TV viewership for softball: the most watched super regional day ever.

Game three of Texas-Alabama was the third most watched cable sports program of the week only behind game six of the NBA Conference Finals between the Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors on TNT Saturday night (6.4 million) and ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball between the Atlanta Braves and St Louis Cardinals (1.3 million viewers).

Texas-Alabama is the most watched three game Super Regional series in college softball history averaging over 786,000 viewers for the three games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Impressive.

Viewership continues to be record breaking for postseason collegiate softball as Alabama’s game three win over Texas last Saturday was the most watched Super Regional telecast of all-time garnering over one million viewers according to ShowBuzzDaily.com.

The Tide’s 8-5 win over Texas, which aired on ESPN, was watched by 1,005,000 million viewers which is the most watched Super Regional game and the most matched non-World Series matchup of all-time. It was part of a huge Saturday slate in TV viewership for softball: the most watched super regional day ever.

Game three of Texas-Alabama was the third most watched cable sports program of the week only behind game six of the NBA Conference Finals between the Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors on TNT Saturday night (6.4 million) and ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball between the Atlanta Braves and St Louis Cardinals (1.3 million viewers).

Texas-Alabama is the most watched three game Super Regional series in college softball history averaging over 786,000 viewers for the three games.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, torre said:

Nice post !       Was Koalitis MW's ace recruiter at Oregon?

Yes.  MW rarely went out...pretty much Colorado and PGF.  He primarily showed face to babysit already committed kids.  Spencer much the same, though she was out slightly more often, but again really just babysitting.  Kolaitis was everywhere, knew everyone and talked to every person at every park.  Shaw isn't that guy.  In my opinion there are just a whole lot of factors working against them right now, they've got a lot to overcome.  That's why it wouldn't surprise me if they are heavy players on the portal.  MW will always draw pitchers, that's a given.  But beyond that I just don't know.  For the record, I also hope I'm proven wrong and I'll happily eat crow if I am.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Again, HCIW is more or less what Glasco thought he was getting into and then Crazy Old Jo saved her job with that miraculous OKC trip and he found a head job somewhere else.

Snider has to have gotten offers - I cannot believe he thinks more money at A&M under a failing head coach with poor talent will make him any more attractive than successfully making Supers/WCWS under Alameda at FSU.   Unless he just thinks a big job isn't going to open anytime soon and doesn't see the point in idling in the ACC when he could be making SEC money. 

I don't think he could've gotten HCIW without an AD being there.  I know he more than doubled his salary, shockingly FSU doesn't pay jack and they didn't get much of a raise even after winning the series.  Money and family are positives, but I just don't get it past that.  He's turned down big jobs as a HC already, so I don't think this move is being made to build a resume.  He's a smart guy, so there's some angle that we don't see.  I guess maybe this gives him SEC experience for when a job opens?  Miss. State is probably the next one open unless UGA retires or the new AD at aTm decided to clean house.

Glasco was HCIW at one point, but then was stripped of the title which ultimately led to him leaving.  His goal was to return to aTm once Evans left, but with Woodard gone I don't think that's a given anymore.  I actually think he ends up back at UGA when their coaches retires.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think Mike wants more seats. Doubt we’ll get a new stadium due to space. 

McCombs Field currently holds 1,251.  Two questions:

• How many seats can realistically be added to McCombs??
  • What are the capacities of some of the larger college softball stadiums??

Found this on blOU stadium:  "The new stadium is expected to increase Oklahoma’s seating capacity from roughly 1,700 to 3,000." 

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2018/6/19/17478436/university-oklahoma-board-of-regents-design-phase-of-new-softball-stadium-and-facility-patty-gasso

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

bring the outfield fence in 20 feet and use that extra space to put in bleachers that seat another 1000 fans. bam

I'm for this. Bring the fences in and down, put up outfield bleachers. Bam, 2000+ capacity at McCombs

We just don't have the space to build a new bigger one.   Oregon was able to demolish and rebuild a new stadium in 10 months on the same site as the old one but somehow I doubt CDC can stomach that with the SEZ getting a 2 year project and the new basketball arena coming soon.  Even then, the new one was only 1500 permanent seats and room for 1000 outfield bleachers.  

Very competitive games yesterday except for Minnesota making their first appearance.  Makes you wonder if the script was flipped, Texas wins 1 in the Big 12 tournament and has that #7 seed.

(6) Arizona 3
(3) Washington 1

(7) Minnesota 2
(2) UCLA 7

(13) Oklahoma State 2
(5) Florida 1

(8) Alabama 2
(1) Oklahoma 3

Winners play today to advance to Sunday bracket championship and have to be beaten twice.  And both are intraconference matchups - OU swept Ok State; Arizona took 2/3 from UCLA in the regular season. 

(2) UCLA
(6) Arizona
6:00pm - ESPN

(1) OU
(13) Oklahoma State
8:30pm - ESPN

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

McCombs Field currently holds 1,251.  Two questions:

• How many seats can realistically be added to McCombs??
  • What are the capacities of some of the larger college softball stadiums??

Found this on blOU stadium:  "The new stadium is expected to increase Oklahoma’s seating capacity from roughly 1,700 to 3,000." 

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2018/6/19/17478436/university-oklahoma-board-of-regents-design-phase-of-new-softball-stadium-and-facility-patty-gasso

Hopefully,  we will be there in the near future.

Talked to an OU fan during their April visit.   They have a waiting list for season tickets.