Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

So why hasn’t he committed to them yet?  My understanding is Stanford acceptance=LOI faxed. 

Kids don't always commit right when they make a decision. Sometimes they want for NSD, their birthday, homecoming, last football game, all American game, etc

5 hours ago, Beer Drinker said:

We oughta schedule BYU and Maryland while we are at it... I bet we would kill em

If you haven’t figured it out yet, the problem is that our players don’t give a shit about the BYUs or the Marylands.  And to be fair, they may not give a shit about the Stanfords either, even if we do.

Edited by GotThatFire

Higgins is not a lost cause just yet. Someone just needs to educate him about the rankings of various UT departments and how they compare to Stanford (UT is better FYI) and how different life in Palo Alto is than Austin. Higgins body chemistry and heritage (nothing to do with race, not sure why you people keep bringing that up) mean that Austin is a much better fit for him. 

Once Higgins figures this stuff out, he should be in the bag for the good guys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

...but what about [other recruit]? he is considering [other school] plus Texas and projects to play [position of need]

He's going to [second-tier SEC school] despite only showing interest in them for three days before committing. Luckily [three-star recruit] has basically the same measurables and I'm sure [relevant position coach] will teach him the fundamental aspects of playing his position that he's missing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TexMexBuddha said:

I was at the game as well. Was working for tree at the time. The game felt like a frickin' home game there were so many Texas fans there. Sucked just like a home loss too.

Agree. We were 50 strong in our group and there was an amphitheater Area for the Texas exes pregame and it was packed. Long ride back that night (it was later game too iirc). 

Super K updates on Sanders, Bru, Cain, Marcus Washington, Hookfin, and Coker

***Trey Sanders is set to announce tomorrow around 1:00 PM on ESPN. Nothing has changed for me, I continue to believe this one is not going to be a win for the good guys.

Prediction: Alabama

***Bru McCoy is set to announce his decision on January 5th at the Adidas All-American Bowl but it’s my understanding that he will sign with a program, quietly, tomorrow.

Again, here, nothing has changed for me over the past few weeks. It was a hell of an effort by the Texas staff but USC has too many non-negotiable advantages in this one.

Prediction: USC

***Noah Cain – there have been a number of folks feeling like this is/was trending away from Texas. We had heard the buzz about Cain’s family liking Penn State last Monday (December 10th). On that day we posted the following…

Something to watch. Source I spoke with yesterday tells me that Noah Cain’s mother likes Penn State and coach Franklin.

Cain took an official visit to Penn State and they do appear to be the team that is giving him something to think about.

I’ll admit we don’t know the level of interest Noah has in Penn State but again, heard that the mother, despite living in Texas, seems to really like coach Franklin.

This was the first I’d heard of this so I’ll be digging on this throughout the next day or so.

The very next day, December 11th and then again on December 12th, a number of predictions (Crystal Balls) came in from numerous analysts around the country predicting Cain would be picking Penn State.

What I had heard from a source was that the family was highly concerned about the perception that Texas seems to be centering the running game around, Sam Ehlinger (though Watson led the team in carries and yards) a little too much. And, as noted last week, the family seems to really like coach Franklin at Penn State.

Still, I can’t ignore the fact that Cain’s mother lives in Texas. Texas has made him a priority throughout the process. Stan Drayton went to see Cain’s father down in Louisiana last week and from all accounts the visit went well. Lastly, it would be such a gut punch to lose Cain in terms of perception that I have to believe that Herman has been working overtime on this one.

All that said, I’m going to keep my prediction as follows…

Prediction: Texas

***Marcus Washington is set to sign tomorrow. His father tells me the signing will be around 1:30 PM. He has been committed to Texas since October but last week his father told us that there was some late concerns about distance. Missouri tried to make a push and even hoped to get him on campus this past weekend but it’s my understanding that a visit did not happen.

Washington has continued to tell the Texas staff and the public that he is solid to Texas…

However, what has and still gives me pause is just how serious things seemed to be when I spoke to Marcus’ father about their issues with distance. Despite how much Marcus’ has downplayed things, publicly, it’s my understanding that there was real cause for concern that Marcus would flip to Missouri.

But I’m going to continue to cautiously maintain that this one will ultimately end up going Texas’ way.

***Isaiah Hookfin is set to sign tomorrow. No word on his announcement time. His father says they are still working on that.

When I spoke to Ron Hookfin, Isaiah’s father, yesterday morning it was clear that this was a decision between the big shiny program (Texas) and the program that felt more homey. The comfort level Hookfin seems to have with the Baylor staff was hard to ignore. Still, Texas is Texas. As of yesterday morning I noted it could go either way.

As of today it’s Baylor’s to lose. But in speaking to Ron, it sounds like there is still some discussion to be had. While I think Isaiah prefers Baylor, the family sees the opportunities available at Texas. Ron has maintained that it will ultimately be Isaiah’s decision and unless the Longhorns or his family are able to sway him otherwise then…

Prediction: Baylor

***Andrew Coker – this one is pretty straight forward. Andrew told us on Sunday that he would be sticking with TCU. He is expected to sign tomorrow.

Prediction: TCU

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

***Trey Sanders is set to announce tomorrow around 1:00 PM on ESPN. Nothing has changed for me, I continue to believe this one is not going to be a win for the good guys.

Prediction: Alabama

***Bru McCoy is set to announce his decision on January 5th at the Adidas All-American Bowl but it’s my understanding that he will sign with a program, quietly, tomorrow.

Again, here, nothing has changed for me over the past few weeks. It was a hell of an effort by the Texas staff but USC has too many non-negotiable advantages in this one.

Prediction: USC

***Noah Cain – there have been a number of folks feeling like this is/was trending away from Texas. We had heard the buzz about Cain’s family liking Penn State last Monday (December 10th). On that day we posted the following…

Something to watch. Source I spoke with yesterday tells me that Noah Cain’s mother likes Penn State and coach Franklin.

Cain took an official visit to Penn State and they do appear to be the team that is giving him something to think about.

I’ll admit we don’t know the level of interest Noah has in Penn State but again, heard that the mother, despite living in Texas, seems to really like coach Franklin.

This was the first I’d heard of this so I’ll be digging on this throughout the next day or so.

The very next day, December 11th and then again on December 12th, a number of predictions (Crystal Balls) came in from numerous analysts around the country predicting Cain would be picking Penn State.

What I had heard from a source was that the family was highly concerned about the perception that Texas seems to be centering the running game around, Sam Ehlinger (though Watson led the team in carries and yards) a little too much. And, as noted last week, the family seems to really like coach Franklin at Penn State.

Still, I can’t ignore the fact that Cain’s mother lives in Texas. Texas has made him a priority throughout the process. Stan Drayton went to see Cain’s father down in Louisiana last week and from all accounts the visit went well. Lastly, it would be such a gut punch to lose Cain in terms of perception that I have to believe that Herman has been working overtime on this one.

All that said, I’m going to keep my prediction as follows…

***Marcus Washington is set to sign tomorrow. His father tells me the signing will be around 1:30 PM. He has been committed to Texas since October but last week his father told us that there was some late concerns about distance. Missouri tried to make a push and even hoped to get him on campus this past weekend but it’s my understanding that a visit did not happen.

Washington has continued to tell the Texas staff and the public that he is solid to Texas…

However, what has and still gives me pause is just how serious things seemed to be when I spoke to Marcus’ father about their issues with distance. Despite how much Marcus’ has downplayed things, publicly, it’s my understanding that there was real cause for concern that Marcus would flip to Missouri.

But I’m going to continue to cautiously maintain that this one will ultimately end up going Texas’ way.

***Isaiah Hookfin is set to sign tomorrow. No word on his announcement time. His father says they are still working on that.

When I spoke to Ron Hookfin, Isaiah’s father, yesterday morning it was clear that this was a decision between the big shiny program (Texas) and the program that felt more homey. The comfort level Hookfin seems to have with the Baylor staff was hard to ignore. Still, Texas is Texas. As of yesterday morning I noted it could go either way.

As of today it’s Baylor’s to lose. But in speaking to Ron, it sounds like there is still some discussion to be had. While I think Isaiah prefers Baylor, the family sees the opportunities available at Texas. Ron has maintained that it will ultimately be Isaiah’s decision and unless the Longhorns or his family are able to sway him otherwise then…

Prediction: Baylor

***Andrew Coker – this one is pretty straight forward. Andrew told us on Sunday that he would be sticking with TCU. He is expected to sign tomorrow.

Prediction: TCU

Well it's gonna be an exciting month leading up to NSD2. We've got holes to fill [insert mom joke here].

So how many outstanding 🤫s do we have?   There were two last week, right?  Johnson was thought to be one, and many thought Hookfin was another.  Maybe one was actually Lewis.

The thing is...I've noticed that Carrington hasn't retweeted any of his previous 🤫 tweets this week, as he had been doing whenever a previous 🤫 publicly committed.  Could that mean we still have two outstanding, or has he just abandoned that practice?

Just now, DontCallMeSurly said:

So how many outstanding 🤫s do we have?   There were two last week, right?  Johnson was thought to be one, and many thought Hookfin was another.  Maybe one was actually Lewis.

The thing is...I've noticed that Carrington hasn't retweeted any of his previous 🤫 tweets this week, as he had been doing whenever a previous 🤫 publicly committed.  Could that mean we still have two outstanding, or has he just abandoned that practice? 

It was probably those two. Johnson was a near lock to be one since it was right after his in-home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DontCallMeSurly said:

None. Don't overthink this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I use to run the bleachers at Cardinal Stadium so this hits close to home.

The old ones or the new?

When I was in crew we used to, as a fund raiser, pick up beer bottles at the old Stanford stadium after the games (you could bring in bottles of beer and kegs into the stadium).  We used  to run the bleachers.  When we used to do double steps, it got kind of gnarly for me, because I'm so damned short.

Plus, I'm a pussy.

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

The old ones or the new?

When I was in crew we used to, as a fund raiser, pick up beer bottles at the old Stanford stadium after the games (you could bring in bottles of beer and kegs into the stadium).  We used  to run the bleachers.  When we used to do double steps, it got kind of gnarly for me, because I'm so damned short.

Plus, I'm a pussy.

User name definitely does not check out. 

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not quite sure how to interpret this. Gut punch for the staff? Or in terms of public perception?

• Fuck You 1