Texas recruiting notes 2019

If the staff thought they could get away with not adding an RB grad transfer, then this Derrian Brown news should probably cause them to reconsider that.
One comment mentioned he was in recovery and conscious so it sounds like he either had surgery or passed out. Appendix?

13 minutes ago, Modessit said:
59 minutes ago, Machinator said:
If the staff thought they could get away with not adding an RB grad transfer, then this Derrian Brown news should probably cause them to reconsider that.

One comment mentioned he was in recovery and conscious so it sounds like he either had surgery or passed out. Appendix?

Sounds most likely if comment true.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Meh isn't so meh? Who woulda knew?

Lulz. There are two potential takeaways from Mehringer’s rating as #1 recruiter in the country: 1) those ratings are terrible and they lazily give the position coach credit even when he wasn’t the primary recruiter or 2) wow! Mehringer’s a great recruiter and he’s more valuable than I thought! 

One of those conclusions is exponentially dumber than the other....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. There are two potential takeaways from Mehringer’s rating as #1 recruiter in the country: 1) those ratings are terrible and they lazily give the position coach credit even when he wasn’t the primary recruiter or 2) wow! Mehringer’s a great recruiter and he’s more valuable than I thought! 

Mehringer is certainly a very valuable coach, particularly at where we have him. I truly don’t understand the handful of folks that don’t agree. 

Just now, DeweyCox said:

Mehringer is certainly a very valuable coach, particularly at where we have him. I truly don’t understand the handful of folks that don’t agree. 

Just because our star player this past year was an originally 3* WR, our next most productive WR has elected to stay for his senior year, and we have arguably the best class of receiver recruits in the country doesn't mean we should let our WR coach keep his job. The algorithm used to rank Meh #1 is flawed, but the fact remains. If there is a factor holding Texas back, it is not the WR room. Given the law of unintended consequences, I would be quite happy to leave Meh right where he is for now. As for Warehime...

10 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Just because our star player this past year was an originally 3* WR, our next most productive WR has elected to stay for his senior year, and we have arguably the best class of receiver recruits in the country doesn't mean we should let our WR coach keep his job. The algorithm used to rank Meh #1 is flawed, but the fact remains. If there is a factor holding Texas back, it is not the WR room. Given the law of unintended consequences, I would be quite happy to leave Meh right where he is for now. As for Warehime...

I didn’t realize Tom Herman un-demoted him back to coaching all the WRs. Very interesting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

So Collin is getting along better with his Meh, and Bru came to play for Meh. Sounds like it could be worse. Meh is also the passing game coordinator.

Lulz. Mehringer has nothing to do with coordinating any aspect of the offense and the fact he was demoted says plenty about how he’s done coaching here. CJ having a good year has more to do with CJ being extremely talented than Merhringer being some great coach, and the WR room was  huge fucking mess by the end of 2017 when mehringer was in full control.

If you what to talk recruiting, he fucked up the Wilson and Higgins recruitments and lost badly on Wright. Washington was a great fallback, but Drayton is the area recruiter for St. Louis and BC did a ton of work in that recruitment. Mehringer did a good job recruiting Bru but he lost that recruitment and Helton being massively incompetent saved him. The way we got Bru is not a formula for success. 

I’m not saying Mehringer has to be fired, but trying to attribute all or most of the credit for where our WR room is right now is unbelievably misguided, just like the 247 sports rankings. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Have a lot less respect for Winners of Top Recruiter Award from 247.

Seems like Washington and Beck have done a great job recruiting for the 2019 Class.

Edited by LTtxfan

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Mehringer has nothing to do with coordinating any aspect of the offense and the fact he was demoted says plenty about how he’s done coaching here. CJ having a good year has more to do with CJ being extremely talented than Merhringer being some great coach, and the WR room was  huge fucking mess by the end of 2017 when mehringer was in full control.

If you what to talk recruiting, he fucked up the Wilson and Higgins recruitments and lost badly on Wright. Washington was a great fallback, but Drayton is the area recruiter for St. Louis and BC did a ton of work in that recruitment. Mehringer did a good job recruiting Bru but he lost that recruitment and Helton being massively incompetent saved him. The way we got Bru is not a formula for success. 

I’m not saying Mehringer has to be fired, but trying to attribute all or most of the credit for where our WR room is right now is unbelievably misguided, just like the 247 sports rankings. 

Wa$ the lo$$ of Wright really Meh’s fault.  Or $omething el$e?

Edited by cochamps
  • Fuck You 1

53 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

So Collin is getting along better with his Meh, and Bru came to play for Meh. Sounds like it could be worse. Meh is also the passing game coordinator.

Burt answered wonderfully, and before we start attributing jake smith, inside wr soon to play for Texas, Beck was his primary recruiter. 

Hemphill Mapps, inside WR transferred in part because he hated Mehringer. LJH was close to doing so as well until meekins took over for Mehringer on the inside...allegedly. As for CJs progression, well, its odd that mehriger shit talk CJ for being soft on the recruiting trail to Wilson and Higgins. Allegedly.   

Meh may well suck at all aspects of his job. I certainly have no first hand knowledge of who does what in day to day coaching and recruiting. Was Warehime basically Beck’s 1-on-1 coach this year? Was Meh pissing off players early on because he was taking cues from Herman? Our WR room is doing well. Our passing game in general is doing well. I’m in no hurry to fire a guy who on paper is a significant part of that. I was ready to let him go early this last season but am more inclined to let things develop now. As of about half past Maryland, there weren’t many key pieces of the Longhorn operation we thought were salvageable. Maybe halfway into 2019 I’ll have my pitchfork out. Today I don’t.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Burt answered wonderfully, and before we start attributing jake smith, inside wr soon to play for Texas, Beck was his primary recruiter. 

Hemphill Mapps, inside WR transferred in part because he hated Mehringer. LJH was close to doing so as well until meekins took over for Mehringer on the inside...allegedly. As for CJs progression, well, its odd that mehriger shit talk CJ for being soft on the recruiting trail to Wilson and Higgins. Allegedly.   

How does anyone know any of this to be true unless you were there. One surly poster starts a rumor and then all of a sudden we accept it as fact. Smh

I think a lot of the issues with our WRs in the first year was due to poor OL and QB play. Sam just couldn't consistently get the ball out to the receivers. A year later, we have stability in our coaching team, which led to better play all around.

I expected more from Collins this year but his ceiling maybe limited. We will see how this year's WR Corp, which is more talented across the board than what we had on campus, does next year. Let's reserve judgement on coach Meh until then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

How does anyone know any of this to be true unless you were there. One surly poster starts a rumor and then all of a sudden we accept it as fact. Smh

I think a lot of the issues with our WRs in the first year was due to poor OL and QB play. Sam just couldn't consistently get the ball out to the receivers. A year later, we have stability in our coaching team, which led to better play all around.

I expected more from Collins this year but his ceiling maybe limited. We will see how this year's WR Corp, which is more talented across the board than what we had on campus, does next year. Let's reserve judgement on coach Meh until then.

Because they're not rumors.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Because they're not rumors.

That very well maybe but you can't make a definitive judgement on his value as a coach when there were other variables at play. You don't bring a winning combination unless you have to. Now that he has no excuses,  you can judge him better after next fall.

19 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Our WR room is doing well. Our passing game in general is doing well. I’m in no hurry to fire a guy who on paper is a significant part of that.

this mentality is exactly why Greg Davis spent 13 years at Texas. Without the transcendent talent he had the privilege to coach, he was exposed. And even with it, he royally underachieved.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Let's reserve judgement on coach Meh until then.

giphy.gif

But this is Surly..... We Know All

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, Modessit said:

RHM didn't transfer because he hated Mehringer. He transferred because he was fucking up, not going to class, slacking off in his football work, and thought his production on the field gave him some special status that protected him from consequences. Mehringer got on his ass - as did some other coaches - about it. So did some of his family and his gf at the time (whom I know and got a lot of the story from). That all tried to get him to quit the shit and get to work but he was more interested in fucking around. Eventually he was basically told to either shape up or ship out. He tried to go to Oregon but his grades weren't good enough which is why he went to Trinity Valley CC.

People want to blame it on Mehringer and personally conflict, but it was going to happen no matter who the coach was.

Get the fuck out of here with this reasoned, logical response that makes the most sense and aligns with facts actually known.  It was all Meh’s fault because he sucks and is worthless. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

RHM didn't transfer because he hated Mehringer. He transferred because he was fucking up, not going to class, slacking off in his football work, and thought his production on the field gave him some special status that protected him from consequences. Mehringer got on his ass - as did some other coaches - about it. So did some of his family and his gf at the time (whom I know and got a lot of the story from). That all tried to get him to quit the shit and get to work but he was more interested in fucking around. Eventually he was basically told to either shape up or ship out. He tried to go to Oregon but his grades weren't good enough which is why he went to Trinity Valley CC.

People want to blame it on Mehringer and personally conflict, but it was going to happen no matter who the coach was.

This is pretty accurate. He still needs to humble himself actually.

3 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Get the fuck out of here with this reasoned, logical response that makes the most sense and aligns with facts actually known.  It was all Meh’s fault because he sucks and is worthless. 

I thought it was his fault because he can’t do a proper hook’em? 

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

this mentality is exactly why Greg Davis spent 13 years at Texas. Without the transcendent talent he had the privilege to coach, he was exposed. And even with it, he royally underachieved.

So Texas is underachieving and getting exposed lately? Did we have transcendent talent this past year?  I don’t see a good parallel between GD and Meh.

5 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

So Texas is underachieving and getting exposed lately? Did we have transcendent talent this past year?  I don’t see a good parallel between GD and Meh.

GDGD wasn't demoted after his very first year on the job, so you got me there I guess.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Greg Davis was the assistant coach of the year once. 

College coaching follows a top down model. Assistants take on the personality of the head man. Greg Davis stayed at Texas this long because FUPM agreed with his style. If any aspect of the team is failing, the head coach should get the blame. We didn't have a lot of talent last year and Sam still is not hitting the WRs in stride, so I don't blame Coach Meh yet. Next year will be telling.

13 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Discussing the recruiting abilities Meh is it a great way to get to a thousand pages. Hell throw in giles and the value of a Stanford degree and we'll get there in no time.

You aren't going to get to 1000 without an aggy said recruit x wasn't sec ready.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

GDGD wasn't demoted after his very first year on the job, so you got me there I guess.

You argued a parallel to GD— I’m willing to see it but don’t. Meh was demoted/the coaching duties were reorganized. Do you think the way things were reorganized for 2018 was demonstrably a failure? Or do you see growth in on-field performance and plus recruiting? Do you think we land Bru if we fire Meh after the Sugar Bowl? I’m not trying to be a jerk— I honestly see reason to think our coaching staff, while imperfect, is largely worth keeping together. I like the player esprit de corps; I love the Sugar Bowl win; I love the recruiting. We are set to put the finishing touches on a great 2019 class including two great outside and two great inside receivers, plus a safety guy we landed when Bru was uncertain. We are off to a great start on the next year’s recruiting. I have not noticed our outside receivers running especially crappy routes, dropping a lot of easy catches, or failing to block. As I stated, I am persuadable that Meh sucks. To me, the evidence that he is holding us back from winning the big recruiting battles or big games is lacking, however.

• Like 1