Texas recruiting notes 2019

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I would consider ditching FWK a big sign that he's making smart decisions and is ready to make the leap. If he's all in, his path via Texas has future draft pick on it.

That info is coming from one random poster on that site.  I'd tap the brakes a bit on the "Shepherd ditched FWK" narrative.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If you guys aren't fired up about Javonne Shepherd becoming a Texas Longhorn, then that's your fucking problem. This young man has been committed since last June and has not wavered.

You know who's actually pushing an agenda with this recruitment? It sure as shit is not Footwork King, sirs. It damn sure isn't this young man himself. No, no, no. It's all of you nervous fuckers who can't hold their water. Stop being a fucking amoeba. Pull your shit together and get behind this young man and the finishing of his journey into signing day, and then becoming one of the most reliable, sturdy OLs this program has ever seen.

I read on secrant that Saban was doing an in-home with him today (Wed).  They didn't link it, so don't know for sure that this is true.  

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

I read on secrant that Saban was doing an in-home with him today (Wed).  They didn't link it, so don't know for sure that this is true.  

Really not sure why Saban would be interested in a player who someofSurly says Texas shouldn't be interested in. 

23 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

It's really this simple: high-upside, but also won't wallow in a roster for 3-4 years taking a scholarship.  Shepherd will either pan out or transfer/get kicked off the team, especially with the 2020 OL class coming in behind him.  

Sounds a lot like what people were saying about AShawn Robinson.

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

That info is coming from one random poster on that site.  I'd tap the brakes a bit on the "Shepherd ditched FWK" narrative.  

I have no idea if Shepherd ditched FWK - but they have had a couple 'terse' twitter interactions over the last month.  I'm assuming that mouth-breather interpreted those to mean that JS was no longer training with FWK.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

yes everyone will be thrilled if JS signs.  but i don't think anyone is overly optimistic about it.  the apprehension is warranted.  his saying he's committed and his acting committed are two very different things.

i'll be equally shocked if he signs or if he flips.

He is an 18 yo kid. What do you expect him to do? He is enjoying the process. 

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

yes everyone will be thrilled if JS signs.  but i don't think anyone is overly optimistic about it.  the apprehension is warranted.  his saying he's committed and his acting committed are two very different things.

He's essentially this cycle's Keondre Coburn - a long time commit who didn't sign NSD1 and took other visits before signing with Texas on NSD2.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Cowardly Lion:
I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do!

Wicked Witch of the West:
You'll believe in more than that before I'm finished with you.

5 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Everyone was pumped when JS committed but ever since he has been pulling on your heart strings, nothing but negativity. We should be thrilled to have JS stick to his commitment. 

he has done nothing but be a teenage football recruit

anything else is self-inflicted by posters

On 1/28/2019 at 9:35 AM, closetojumping said:

I think the dude is a flake who is going to play the next 10 days for all of the drama he can muster. If that means he shows up at Texas and they allow him to OV, he’ll do it. So I’m just going with what I think is the baseline, which is that Texas isn’t going to pay FWK to get his busty ass on campus, and therefore the visit is called off because of ride issues or some shit around Thursday. 

Today's Ctj post:  "If you guys aren't fired up about Javonne Shepherd becoming a Texas Longhorn, then that's your fucking problem. This young man has been committed since last June and has not wavered.

You know who's actually pushing an agenda with this recruitment? It sure as shit is not Footwork King, sirs. It damn sure isn't this young man himself. No, no, no. It's all of you nervous fuckers who can't hold their water. Stop being a fucking amoeba. Pull your shit together and get behind this young man and the finishing of his journey into signing day, and then becoming one of the most reliable, sturdy OLs this program has ever seen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ctj.... These two posts seem to contradict each other. 

What 's changed that makes you "fired up about Javonne Shepherd becoming a Texas Longhorn"?

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Today's Ctj post:  "If you guys aren't fired up about Javonne Shepherd becoming a Texas Longhorn, then that's your fucking problem. This young man has been committed since last June and has not wavered.

You know who's actually pushing an agenda with this recruitment? It sure as shit is not Footwork King, sirs. It damn sure isn't this young man himself. No, no, no. It's all of you nervous fuckers who can't hold their water. Stop being a fucking amoeba. Pull your shit together and get behind this young man and the finishing of his journey into signing day, and then becoming one of the most reliable, sturdy OLs this program has ever seen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What 's changed that makes you "fired up about Javonne Shepherd becoming a Texas Longhorn"?

You amuse me as a poster, LTtxfan. I can't tell if you're a bot, autistic, what. I don't know. It's interesting to watch though.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

His football ability, athleticism, and potential scream take all day everyday and I think everyone is thrilled to have him committed in that regard.  

But he’s also shown some serious red flags.  After years of the abyss, we finally have a lockeroom that seems completely on board, buying into the coaching staff, and moving in the right direction; and my concern - and I’m sure others - is introducing an element that will disrupt that.  Yes, he can be booted or transfer if he doesn’t buy in, but some damage may already be done at that point (poisoning the well with others, bad mouthing program to recruits, inviting unwanted drama/scrutiny to the program, etc).  For instance, if he doesn’t cut it here and leaves in a year or two, I could easily see him or shithead FWK throwing out allegations of impermissible payments/benefits, etc.  

The Aggie angle just threw a spritz of gasoline on that concern and gave the message boards something to talk about in the event he flipped.  

30 minutes ago, futureman said:

since mack showed up I’m not sure how many two-stars we’ve even taken.  maybe gideon?

25 minutes ago, futureman said:

yikes.  at least he was juco.  I can’t remember any right out of HS. 

Gideon, Dustin Miksch, Jason Barron, Gerald Hansen, Chet Moss, Brock Fitzhenry, Antonio Moore, Garrett Green, Hot Wheels from Lake Travis, Clint Haney, Case McCoy, Michael Scaljon, and Will Goodloe all immediately come to mind.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, combined with JS scraping his twitter of any recent FWK mentions as well as zero recent FWK training sessions being posted... and we know FWK would post them... I'm tending to believe it may be the case.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gideon, Dustin Miksch, Jason Barron, Gerald Hansen, Chet Moss, Brock Fitzhenry, Antonio Moore, Garrett Green, Hot Wheels from Lake Travis, Clint Haney, Case McCoy, Michael Scaljon, and Will Goodloe all immediately come to mind.

I see what you did in there, and I applaud it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

His football ability, athleticism, and potential scream take all day everyday and I think everyone is thrilled to have him committed in that regard.  

But he’s also shown some serious red flags.  After years of the abyss, we finally have a lockeroom that seems completely on board, buying into the coaching staff, and moving in the right direction; and my concern - and I’m sure others - is introducing an element that will disrupt that.  Yes, he can be booted or transfer if he doesn’t buy in, but some damage may already be done at that point (poisoning the well with others, bad mouthing program to recruits, inviting unwanted drama/scrutiny to the program, etc).  For instance, if he doesn’t cut it here and leaves in a year or two, I could easily see him or shithead FWK throwing out allegations of impermissible payments/benefits, etc.  

The Aggie angle just threw a spritz of gasoline on that concern and gave the message boards something to talk about in the event he flipped.  

Do you really think FWK would trash a program for "speculative" benefits if its taking place with other universities? He did not do that with Carter, what makes you think he would risk it all for Shep? I doubt there is that level of loyalty to these kids. 

Just now, TexasFan21 said:

Do you really think FWK would trash a program for "speculative" benefits if its taking place with other universities? He did not do that with Carter, what makes you think he would risk it all for Shep? I doubt there is that level of loyalty to these kids. 

Narrator Voice: There's not.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

do you mean garrett greenlea?

I’ve already said I’d probably pass on shepherd, but I get why the staff wants to take him and that’s fine, but All this talk about how obvious it is we should take Shepherd is ridiculous. It’s one thing to say you think we should take him but to act like there’s no obvious counter arguments is just dumb. Shepherd has red flags for character, grades, weight, and work ethic at a position that requires more focus, effort and development than any other position besides QB. Oh, and he has a trainer in his ear who routinely stokes the flames when he doesn’t think one of his guys is getting enough PT. 

The mental eval of an OL is vital. This dude is not a very strong mental eval and we have limited spots for 2020 and a thin OL depth chart. If we take him and then take one less quality OL in 2020, and he busts after that, then we’ve really set the roster back. It’s clear the staff thinks his ceiling is 1st round and they want to take him, but that doesn’t mean it’s an unassailable decision.

31 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Everyone was pumped when JS committed but ever since he has been pulling on your heart strings, nothing but negativity. We should be thrilled to have JS stick to his commitment. 

Well for one, he hadn’t punched his coach and got suspended when he committed, so that’s a pretty big change right there. There’s also been a lot more info coming out about him getting up over 350 at one point and also rumors about grade issues.  We also signed two other OTs who I would take over him and our actual need in this class is now interior linemen, which he can’t play.

33 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Really not sure why Saban would be interested in a player who someofSurly says Texas shouldn't be interested in. 

Lulz. Saban Was visiting Deondrick Glass a couple weeks ago. He visits a shit ton of recruits, it doesn’t mean they’re actually a priority for Bama.

32 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Sounds a lot like what people were saying about AShawn Robinson.

Shepherd is nothing like Robinson. 

59 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

It's really this simple: high-upside, but also won't wallow in a roster for 3-4 years taking a scholarship.  Shepherd will either pan out or transfer/get kicked off the team, especially with the 2020 OL class coming in behind him.  

It’s not that simple. We’ve signed 8 OL in the last three classes, not including Shepherd. That’s not nearly enough. If we sign Shepherd and he doesn’t bust until after NSD in 2020, then we probably take one less OL in that class, leaving us with 12 in four years. Still not nearly enough, and the odds Shepherd busts are much higher than him panning out. We need guys who will contribute. We have a thin OL depth chart. Taking a chance on a high ceiling-high bust rate guy every now and then is fine generally, but when you’re already extremely tight on 2020 spots and you have poor depth at OL, I don’t think it’s that good of an idea.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not that simple. We’ve signed 8 OL in the last three classes, not including Shepherd. That’s not nearly enough. If we sign Shepherd and he doesn’t bust until after NSD in 2020, then we probably take one less OL in that class, leaving us with 12 in four years. 

I don't really buy this. You don't think the staff will have a read on Shepherd after a year or so at Texas? They will likely know if they need to cover their ass because of potential attrition.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Saban Was visiting Deondrick Glass a couple weeks ago. He visits a shit ton of recruits, it doesn’t mean they’re actually a priority for Bama.

Didn't say he was a priority.

Hey look, a lot of us here who think JS is a take, have acknowledged the risks. Use less words on it. It's not that big of a deal. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

All this talk about how obvious it is we should take Shepherd is ridiculous. It’s one thing to say you think we should take him but to act like there’s no obvious counter arguments is just dumb. Shepherd has red flags for character, grades, weight, and work ethic at a position that requires more focus, effort and development than any other position besides QB. The mental eval of an OL is vital. This dude is not a very strong mental eval and we have limited spots for 2020 and a thin OL depth chart. If we take him and then take one less quality OL in 2020, and he busts after that, then we’ve really set the roster back. It’s clear the staff thinks his ceiling is 1st round and they want to take him, but that doesn’t mean it’s an unassailable decision.

Well for one, he hadn’t punched his coach and got suspended when he committed, so that’s a pretty big change right there. There’s also been a lot more info coming out about him getting up over 350 at one point and also rumors about grade issues.  We also signed two other OTs who I would take over him and our actual need in this class is now interior linemen, which he can’t play.

Shepherd is nothing like Robinson. 

It’s not that simple. We’ve signed 8 OL in the last three classes, not including Shepherd. That’s not nearly enough. If we sign Shepherd and he doesn’t bust until after NSD in 2020, then we probably take one less OL in that class, leaving us with 12 in four years. Still not nearly enough, and the odds Shepherd busts are much higher than him panning out. We need guys who will contribute. We have a thin OL depth chart. Taking a chance on a high ceiling-high busy rate guy every now and then is fine generlal6, but when you’re already extremely tight on 2020 spots and you have poor depth at OL, it’s not a very good idea.

What did Javonne Shepherd ever do to you, sir? Are you the assistant coach he kicked in the nuts? Or is that your brother or something? This young man deserves our support, and your dissent has been duly noted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TexasFan21 said:

I think this is one scenario where, regardless where he signs, the fans who get him will be happy and the fans who don't won't really care much.  And neither will be wrong.

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

And people say I'm German.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

What did Javonne Shepherd ever do to you, sir? Are you the assistant coach he kicked in the nuts? Or is that your brother or something? This young man deserves our support, and your dissent has been duly noted.

Is that what happened? Because that would be hilarious.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't really buy this. You don't think the staff will have a read on Shepherd after a year or so at Texas? They will likely know if they need to cover their ass because of potential attrition.

We’re recruiting 2020 OL right now. Even A year from now will be too late to cover in the 2020 class. Roster constraints will limit 2020 a lot. Even if they have a read, it’ll still cause us to sign one less player next year in a class that could have an obscenely high average recruit rating.

Lulz. I see you’re making the transition from trollee to troll. You should PM future man for some tips.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All I know is that you're either with the coaches, or you're against them.

Trust the Hand!!!!

35 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I am going to let you in on some insider info: it's really flown under the radar, so you probably didn't know this, but Alabama has won a couple more games than we have over the last decade. They have even signed a few decent recruiting classes. Nick Saban can employ completely different recruiting tactics than anyone else, and he'll suffer no ill-effects from schools or recruits if he makes someone mad. He can also afford to miss on a prospect since he has 4 and 5 stars lining up to take their spots.

Feel free to send me $9.95 or even $4.95 for that really good intel.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Is that what happened? Because that would be hilarious.

My understanding is that he kicked some shit-talking mouthbreather of a coach in the balls repeatedly and then attempted to buttfuck him right there on the field in order to declare primacy, but was pulled off of him by 20 players and coaches before further damage could be inflicted. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:
1 hour ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

It’s not that simple. We’ve signed 8 OL in the last three classes, not including Shepherd. That’s not nearly enough. If we sign Shepherd and he doesn’t bust until after NSD in 2020, then we probably take one less OL in that class, leaving us with 12 in four years. Still not nearly enough, and the odds Shepherd busts are much higher than him panning out. We need guys who will contribute. We have a thin OL depth chart. Taking a chance on a high ceiling-high bust rate guy every now and then is fine generally, but when you’re already extremely tight on 2020 spots and you have poor depth at OL, I don’t think it’s that good of an idea.

I doubt taking Shepherd keeps us from taking five 2020 OL, and I doubt we'd want to take six with the loaded 2021 class looking favorable early on to us 

My understanding is that he kicked some shit-talking mouthbreather of a coach in the balls repeatedly and then attempted to buttfuck him right there on the field in order to declare primacy, but was pulled off of him but 20 players and coaches before further damage could be inflicted. 

You want OL with a mean streak.  Please tell me there was no gimp suit involved though...

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I am going to let you in on some insider info: it's really flown under the radar, so you probably didn't know this, but Alabama has won a couple more games than we have over the last decade. They have even signed a few decent recruiting classes. Nick Saban can employ completely different recruiting tactics than anyone else, and he'll suffer no ill-effects from schools or recruits if he makes someone mad. He can also afford to miss on a prospect since he has 4 and 5 stars lining up to take their spots.

You'll get tree-fiddy, and you'll like it.

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Ah, another one with far too many words just to say "lemme be a dick right quick".

Do.Not.Care. My opinion is I don't mind taking risks. Other coaches of successful programs don't either. Tom's showing he might not. Pretty simple. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My understanding is that he kicked some shit-talking mouthbreather of a coach in the balls repeatedly and then attempted to buttfuck him right there on the field in order to declare primacy, but was pulled off of him but 20 players and coaches before further damage could be inflicted. 

Sounds like a take to me, all the way. They should put that in his HUDL with the little red circle around him right before he kung fu's the coach in the family jewels.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is my thought. I get the red flag arguments but I don't think it has much impact on the '20 OL class. 

The argument should be about taking a different 2019 OL if you're worried about Shepherd, not about not taking him to save a spot for 2020, imo 

• Like 2

I think the transfer portal will help with some of the variability in OL development. Let a second tier program help find and polish the diamonds in the rough and then you grab them after their quality is known. If Sheppard were to come here and flame out, the better move is probably going to be filling that spot with a grad transfer of known quality than on a HS senior, especially a guy who is the #5 pick for the class (if Sheppard is even a factor in that decision). I hope Texas leverages its high visibility to great success on the transfer market, especially at positions where there is a high bust rate.