Texas recruiting notes 2019

Just now, Fud said:

The argument should be about taking a different 2019 OL if you're worried about Shepherd, not about not taking him to save a spot for 2020, imo 

I mean I’d be open to it, but it’s too late now to find a decent prospect. I would’ve preferred we Identified an interior prospect who could potentially play Center next year once we missed on Bragg.

Just now, Fud said:

The argument should be about taking a different 2019 OL if you're worried about Shepherd, not about not taking him to save a spot for 2020, imo 

Agree.

And I'm fine with not wanting to take Shepherd because of the risks, just find me someone as good, with his ceiling, and take that guy. If not, Shep it is. If he flames out, the transfer portal could come to the rescue. Different times. 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean I’d be open to it, but it’s too late now to find a decent prospect. I would’ve preferred we Identified an interior prospect who could potentially play Center next year once we missed on Bragg.

We have JUCO OL prospects that we're keeping warm.

13 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Ah, another one with far too many words just to say "lemme be a dick right quick".

Do.Not.Care. My opinion is I don't mind taking risks. Other coaches of successful programs don't either. Tom's showing he might not. Pretty simple. 

I'm not being a dick. Just pointing out that Saban is in his own league. What he can and should do with any prospect is completely different than what any other coach at any other school can and should do.

I'm ambivalent about Shepherd. I wouldn't take the kid,  but I understand why someone would.

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'm not being a dick. Just pointing out that Saban is in his own league. What he can and should do with any prospect is completely different than what any other coach at any other school can and should do.

I'm ambivalent about Shepherd. I wouldn't take the kid,  but I understand why someone would.

Okay, so I'll go with you were not being a dick....

...what I'm saying is, I want our coach to be in Saban's league. Dabo's. Etc... For that to happen, it's gunna take crossing our fingers on some iffy prospects at times. 

That's it. 

SIAP. 247 has started ranking transfers now. For now, they've only ranked the top 50.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/College-football-transfer-rankings-128478942/

Buechele is 27th, Rising is 48th. Starkel is 41st. Jonah Jackson, the OL from Rutgers, is 3rd. Parker Braun, the OL from Georgia Tech, is 7th. Richmond, the OL from Tennessee, is 49th.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Physical talent with a lot of red flags, who is equally likely to be a star as a bust.

Shepherd is nowhere near where Robinson was as a physical prospect. That's not ripping on Shepherd, he has decent enough potential, just pointing out that he's closer to where Hardreck Walker was than where A'Shawn Robinson was as a recruit.

Edited by Huckleberry

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

SIAP. 247 has started ranking transfers now. For now, they've only ranked the top 50.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/College-football-transfer-rankings-128478942/

Buechele is 27th, Rising is 48th. Starkel is 41st. Jonah Jackson, the OL from Rutgers, is 3rd. Parker Braun, the OL from Georgia Tech, is 7th. Richmond, the OL from Tennessee, is 49th.

Love how they keep twisting the knife on Bru McCoy being in our recruiting ranking. Hahaha.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Huck is going to LOVE this shit...

It's obvious their "ranking" of these transfers has a large, large component of age/experience. That's the only reason Buechele would be ahead of rising. 

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gideon, Dustin Miksch, Jason Barron, Gerald Hansen, Chet Moss, Brock Fitzhenry, Antonio Moore, Garrett Green, Hot Wheels from Lake Travis, Clint Haney, Case McCoy, Michael Scaljon, and Will Goodloe all immediately come to mind. 

I guess Gideon only gets one name, kind of like Cher and Prince and sometimes Mellencamp

I think the transfer portal is essentially going to give the upper echelon schools a great resource for plug and play at QB, OL and DL. This instantly makes it easier to whiff on an OL and still not be the end of the world.

Not sure it is going to help too many kids at other positions because of the absolute glut of options it looks like.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I guess Gideon only gets one name, kind of like Cher and Prince and sometimes Mellencamp

How in the fuck did you manage to take a post that was not made by me, and attribute my name to it? That's an impressive level of fuck up, right there. Like you had to train for years and years to make that kind of fuckup a reality. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Richmond was that bad at Tennessee? 

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve already said I’d probably pass on shepherd, but I get why the staff wants to take him and that’s fine, but All this talk about how obvious it is we should take Shepherd is ridiculous. It’s one thing to say you think we should take him but to act like there’s no obvious counter arguments is just dumb. Shepherd has red flags for character, grades, weight, and work ethic at a position that requires more focus, effort and development than any other position besides QB. Oh, and he has a trainer in his ear who routinely stokes the flames when he doesn’t think one of his guys is getting enough PT. 

The mental eval of an OL is vital. This dude is not a very strong mental eval and we have limited spots for 2020 and a thin OL depth chart. If we take him and then take one less quality OL in 2020, and he busts after that, then we’ve really set the roster back. It’s clear the staff thinks his ceiling is 1st round and they want to take him, but that doesn’t mean it’s an unassailable decision.

Well for one, he hadn’t punched his coach and got suspended when he committed, so that’s a pretty big change right there. There’s also been a lot more info coming out about him getting up over 350 at one point and also rumors about grade issues.  We also signed two other OTs who I would take over him and our actual need in this class is now interior linemen, which he can’t play.

Lulz. Saban Was visiting Deondrick Glass a couple weeks ago. He visits a shit ton of recruits, it doesn’t mean they’re actually a priority for Bama.

Shepherd is nothing like Robinson. 

It’s not that simple. We’ve signed 8 OL in the last three classes, not including Shepherd. That’s not nearly enough. If we sign Shepherd and he doesn’t bust until after NSD in 2020, then we probably take one less OL in that class, leaving us with 12 in four years. Still not nearly enough, and the odds Shepherd busts are much higher than him panning out. We need guys who will contribute. We have a thin OL depth chart. Taking a chance on a high ceiling-high bust rate guy every now and then is fine generally, but when you’re already extremely tight on 2020 spots and you have poor depth at OL, I don’t think it’s that good of an idea.

This fucking guy and his opinions. It's like he thinks he's a coach!

20 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Richmond was that bad at Tennessee? 

When he originally signed with Tennessee after being committed to Ole Miss for a very long time, it was touted as a massive win for the program.

But he was a penalty machine (lots of false starts and holding). Towards the end Tennessee was only starting him because they had no one else. He's up there as one of the biggest busts of the Butch Jones era.

Edited by satyanash

50 minutes ago, Machinator said:

luke ford sighting.  going to illinois.  fuck that kid, we could use him. 

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Huck is going to LOVE this shit...

It's obvious their "ranking" of these transfers has a large, large component of age/experience. That's the only reason Buechele would be ahead of rising. 

I hate it almost as much as I hate HenryJames. So fucking absurd to re-rate players they haven't seen perform recently, in some cases in years. Although I'm thinking they might just be using their original high school rating for most of those guys. Rising was an 86 in high school and is an 86 here.

Buechele was a 90 in high school and is an 88 here, with the drop unfortunately being fair based on college performance.

But Rising showed me more in the spring game than I'd seen from Buechele. I would certainly imagine that Rising would have had more interested teams than Buechele if they each talked to every team.

LSU adds Sophser, Lee and Christian Williams to their class #3 Nationally in Composite at 291.08

Texas adds Lakia Henry and holds on to Shepherd to their class #4 Nationally in composite at 288.46

Aggy could add bread at lb after misses on Williams(LSU) Lee(LSU) Sophser(LSU) and Shepherd(Texas). This makes their class #5 Nationally in composite at 285.15

Oklahoma has one recent Crystal ball for a 3 star ol from Kansas City and one for a 4 star all American ol from Hawaii adding them takes their class to #6 Nationally in composite at 283.74

For anyone that wants to see what the likely finish is. LSU with a strong finish

• Like 1

The roster argument with shepherd isn’t that taking him instead of nobody means one less OL taken in 2020.  The argument is that taking shepherd instead of nobody means one less player in 2020 of unknown position. 

And as it’s january of 2019, the general assumption is still that Texas will get its pick of .98 or higher recruits and will have to take one less future all American for 2020 because of taking shepherd in 2019. 

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I hate it almost as much as I hate HenryJames. So fucking absurd to re-rate players they haven't seen perform recently, in some cases in years. Although I'm thinking they might just be using their original high school rating for most of those guys. Rising was an 86 in high school and is an 86 here.

Buechele was a 90 in high school and is an 88 here, with the drop unfortunately being fair based on college performance.

But Rising showed me more in the spring game than I'd seen from Buechele. I would certainly imagine that Rising would have had more interested teams than Buechele if they each talked to every team.

holy-shit-gif-13.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Gideon, Dustin Miksch, Jason Barron, Gerald Hansen, Chet Moss, Brock Fitzhenry, Antonio Moore, Garrett Green, Hot Wheels from Lake Travis, Clint Haney, Case McCoy, Michael Scaljon, and Will Goodloe all immediately come to mind.

Dr Brett Robin sadly, but not very forcefully, nods his head.

22 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

LSU adds Sophser, Lee and Christian Williams to their class #3 Nationally in Composite at 291.08

Texas adds Lakia Henry and holds on to Shepherd to their class #4 Nationally in composite at 288.46

Aggy could add bread at lb after misses on Williams(LSU) Lee(LSU) Sophser(LSU) and Shepherd(Texas). This makes their class #5 Nationally in composite at 285.15

Oklahoma has one recent Crystal ball for a 3 star ol from Kansas City and one for a 4 star all American ol from Hawaii adding them takes their class to #6 Nationally in composite at 283.74

For anyone that wants to see what the likely finish is. LSU with a strong finish

What are you projecting for LSU 2019 Class Size??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fyi.... Aug 2018 LSU was projected to have a smaller 2019 Class. (Just like some Surly folks are saying 20 for Horns 2020 Class.)

From Aug 15th, 2018 LSU article:  

"Of the 81 scholarship players on LSU's roster, only nine are seniors in their final year of eligibility. When that group plays out their final season this fall, the scholarship total will dip down to 72.  If the Tigers wanted to sign a full recruiting class of 25 players (2019 Class), that would put the scholarship total entering next spring at 97. Translation: 12 more players would need to leave the roster, in addition to the seniors on this year’s team, for LSU to stay under the 85-man limit in the 2019 season."

Edited by LTtxfan

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This seems like the ol "I've been saying it all along" game... Buechele was excellent in that system his freshman year. 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What are you projecting for LSU 2019 Class Size??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fyi.... Aug 2018 LSU was projected to have a smaller 2019 Class. (Just like some Surly folks are saying 20 for Horns 2020 Class.)

From Aug 15th, 2018 LSU article:  

"Of the 81 scholarship players on LSU's roster, only nine are seniors in their final year of eligibility. When that group plays out their final season this fall, the scholarship total will dip down to 72.  If the Tigers wanted to sign a full recruiting class of 25 players (2019 Class), that would put the scholarship total entering next spring at 97. Translation: 12 more players would need to leave the roster, in addition to the seniors on this year’s team, for LSU to stay under the 85-man limit in the 2019 season."

I think he's predicting the class size for LSU to be 22. As he and most other people who follow this assume, as they have 19 now and are going to add those 3 guys barring something wildly unexpected. By the way, they lose 3 Juniors to the NFL draft. 

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think he's predicting the class size for LSU to be 22. As he and most other people who follow this assume, as they have 19 now and are going to add those 3 guys barring something wildly unexpected. By the way, they lose 3 Juniors to the NFL draft. 

According to 247 LSU stands now at 21 recruits now if you add the 3 I mentioned it’s 24

53 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Don't forget about aggy not signing Ellison or Mowry due to grades.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I am guessing Proctor was a nobody when he signed with Virginia as he didn't make the list but a big name bust like Richmond did.

i don't have time to get into the rankings right now, but are they just based on talent, or do "years remaining" add to their value?  kind of like the value of a player in a baseball trade based on years of team control.  i guess it depends on need, but it seems like a fairly talented soph would have more value than a slightly more talented sr/grad transfer with 1 year remaining.

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

not sure if you’re aware of his recent tweet but shepherd understands loyalty and he bleeds burnt orange.  he will be a great addition to the 2019 class. 

Damn straight. He and Waddle are going to be roommates. They were shopping online for burnt orange curtains and bathmats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2