Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I will absolutely talk myself into Shep's ability to make a contribution if he sticks. And if he doesn't we're better off without him because he's overweight and a character risk and he would be a locker room cancer. 

But let's be honest. The only real reason we want him is delicious aggy tears.  

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I will absolutely talk myself into Shep's ability to make a contribution if he sticks. And if he doesn't we're better off without him because he's overweight and a character risk and he would be a locker room cancer. 

But let's be honest. The only real reason we want him is delicious aggy tears.  

that's just a bonus. I want him 'cos he's a freaking giant who has shown plenty of athleticism and quickness in what little I've seen, and I think if he buys in and works hard he can be a 1st round draft pick caliber player. 

Obviously, cannot ignore the risks, but I'm okay taking one of those a cycle (or every other, whatever). 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-wednesday-january-30th/

Grad Transfer Offensive Tackle Visiting Texas
– Charlie S

*** Another name to know is Virginia Grad Transfer RJ Proctor. I touched base with Proctor a little while ago and he let me know that he will be officially visiting Texas on February 16th.

Proctor (6’4/335) saw the field for all 13 of UVA’s games during the 2018 season. He started five of those, three at right guard, two at left guard. The versatile lineman will be eligible to play immediately in 2019 as a graduate transfer.

Proctor plans on visiting Ohio State, Florida State, OU, and Texas. He is also in the process of trying to narrow down his final official visit.

Texas will get their shot here in a few weeks.

Official Visitors This Weekend
– Charlie S

Quick note on a pair of official visitors this week:

*** 2019 offensive tackle commit Javonne Shepherd (Houston, TX) will be in Austin. This is huge for Texas as he is coming off a visit to College Sation and Texas A&M.

We know a lot of people think A&M is likely to flip Shepherd, but at this point, we do not share that sentiment and we feel Texas holds onto him.

Obviously, if anything changes our opinion, we will keep you updated.

*** Dodge City C.C. inside linebacker Lakia Henry is also scheduled to take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

Texas is hoping to seal the deal and take his commitment and we feel there is a solid chance that could happen. We will catch up with Lakia prior to his visit.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-wednesday-january-30th/

Hide contents

– Charlie S

*** Another name to know is Virginia Grad Transfer RJ Proctor. I touched base with Proctor a little while ago and he let me know that he will be officially visiting Texas on February 16th.

Proctor (6’4/335) saw the field for all 13 of UVA’s games during the 2018 season. He started five of those, three at right guard, two at left guard. The versatile lineman will be eligible to play immediately in 2019 as a graduate transfer.

Proctor plans on visiting Ohio State, Florida State, OU, and Texas. He is also in the process of trying to narrow down his final official visit.

– Charlie S

*** 2019 offensive tackle commit Javonne Shepherd (Houston, TX) will be in Austin. This is huge for Texas as he is coming off a visit to College Sation and Texas A&M.

We know a lot of people think A&M is likely to flip Shepherd, but at this point, we do not share that sentiment and we feel Texas holds onto him.

*** Dodge City C.C. inside linebacker Lakia Henry is also scheduled to take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

Texas is hoping to seal the deal and take his commitment and we feel there is a solid chance that could happen. We will catch up with Lakia prior to his visit.

TFB hasn't wavered on JS sticking to his commitment

35 minutes ago, tittiesandbeer said:

Shep is committed to the push for 1,000. Some serious drama from him through NSD is about our only hope for this godforsaken goal.

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The problem is, when offensive linemen flame out they tend to stay on your roster and waste space. It’s not like a QB who hits the portal the moment he is not the starter. 

Eh. Shepherd is likely to flame out fast if he does flame out. If he gets disenchanted with UT, there will likely be off field things that accompany such disenchantment. To me, it’s his ship taking directly from an OL in the 2020 class. If we get our top4, and then have over a full year to identify a 5th OL, I’d be willing to bet that 5th guy will be a damn good prospect. It’d be a shame to take Shep, have him flame out, and also skip that 5th OL.

Theres also a possibility we have to take George to get Evans in what is already rumored to be a small class, so we need spots bad for 2020.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

– Charlie S

– Charlie S

Interesting. That’s the most directly optimistic thing I’ve seen about Shepherd so far.  

Mom glad TFB likes our chances with Henry. We really need an experience guy to set the floor for our LB unit next year. If we get him and Johnson, I’ll feel really good about the chances that at least one of them becomes a good player for us.

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. Shepherd is likely to flame out fast if he does flame out. If he gets disenchanted with UT, there will likely be off field things that accompany such disenchantment. To me, it’s his ship taking directly from an OL in the 2020 class. If we get our top4, and then have over a full year to identify a 5th OL, I’d be willing to bet that 5th guy will be a damn good prospect. It’d be a shame to take Shep, have him flame out, and also skip that 5th OL.

Any player that flames out with off field issues included will probably end up in the portal and SHSU will be better for it a couple of years down the road.

1 minute ago, ckhorn said:

Well, according to the Shagg when we took him from Houston. There was a lot of nashing of teeth about this take. Seems like most of those folks are here know.

Some of it was just leftover frustration from the Walker Little whiff. But yeah, nobody saw Cosmi becoming this good, this quickly.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Some of it was just leftover frustration from the Walker Little whiff. But yeah, nobody saw Cosmi becoming this good, this quickly.

Not sure if I’m buying that excuse, but Cosmi was a better take than Little. So everyone can stop with that but-hurt.

5 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Well, according to the Shagg when we took him from Houston. There was a lot of nashing of teeth about this take. Seems like most of those folks are here know.

Eh. People miss all the time in recruiting. I laughed my ass off reading those takes about Cherry but it doesn’t mean I think  @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt is an idoit  because he was wrong about a single recruit. That would be ridiculous. My belief that @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt Is an idoit is based on the hundreds and hundreds of posts I’ve read from him over the years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Not sure if I’m buying that excuse, but Cosmi was a better take than Little. So everyone can stop with that but-hurt.

Lulz. This is moronic for so many reasons. First, people were pissed cuz we missed on Little (and he was the culmination of missing on every big time recruit in 2017 besides Sam). Second, taking Sam or Walker was never an either/or situation. Look at our OL numbers, we needed Walker Little too.

Third, every P5 school besides UT whiffed on him. Telling off the board because he panned out is stupid. It’s not like everyone thought he’d be good and the shag was just irrationally down on him.

Fourth, you’re acting as if it’s set in stone that Cosmi is better than Little, when they’ve each just finished their second  year playing. People on this board have started this weird theory that’s little’s not good. He was a freshman all-American and all pac-12 honorable mention as a TR FR and he was first team All-PAC 12 this year. Little is fucking good and UT would be way better off if he was in our team. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. People miss all the time in recruiting. I laughed my ass off reading those takes about Cherry but it doesn’t mean I think  @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt is an idoit  because he was wrong about a single recruit. That would be ridiculous. My belief that @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt Is an idoit is based on the hundreds and hundreds of posts I’ve read from him over the years.

Spelling is a bicth 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

Similarly, Cosmi is a redshirt freshman, an inarguable fact proven by the internet.  Can you imagine how bad it will be with Cosmi playing against LSU next year as a redshirt freshman?  Or when he has to play against Alabama in 2022 as a redshirt freshman?

That's his point - the original post was freezing these players at their assumed level of their original recruiting rating, but players change.  Our team of 3-stars might be performing at a higher level than their team of 4-stars by the time the game comes along.  Some players learn, some players bust.  His point was that you can't just say a team of 3-stars will automatically struggle against a team of 4-stars, and as his evidence, he put out that one of our 3-star recruits, Cosmi, is currently performing at a higher level and shouldn't be readily dismissed as just some scrub 3-star.

The point is when someone refers to Cosmi as a 3 star recruit that is because he was a 3 star recruit.  The service don't rerank the players based off college performance.  Cosmi could be a repeat all american and the number 1 choice in the draft after his senior year, but he will still be historically a 3 star recruit.

Now the original comment about Hand's development ability vs. original scouting of players when recruiting them is a debate.  What star level recruit Cosmi is, is not.

Not that a players star level means squat once they are on campus, it is just a historical footnote about what the recruiting service thought of said player at the time of his recruitment.

The only thing of less value is this ridiculous discussion I somehow let myself get drug into.

allow me to atone

Image result for hot kate beckinsale

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Like 3

I'm in the camp of wanting to keep Shepherd and losing him would be a big time loss. 6'6" 320 with athleticism don't grow on trees. Texas needs OTs, as we don't have a lot of them on campus right now.

Cosmi right now is the only true OT on the roster with playing experience. Then you have the two RS in Moore and Jones. You add in the 2019 class of Johnson, Hookfin, and Shepherd. You are finally looking at a positive depth chart.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

That's terrible logic. We have no idea what Little would have looked like under two years of Yancy and one year of Hand.

And as Burt said, Little hasn't exactly been a bust at Stanford.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's terrible logic. We have no idea what Little would have looked like under two years of Yancy and one year of Hand.

And as Burt said, Little hasn't exactly been a bust at Stanford.

I wouldn’t call him a bust, but for a 5* as highly touted as he was, I’d say his play thus far has been underwhelming/disappointing - especially against shitty Pac 12 teams.  If I was a Stanford fan, I would have expected better play at this point.  

4 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I wouldn’t call him a bust, but for a 5* as highly touted as he was, I’d say his play thus far has been underwhelming/disappointing - especially against shitty Pac 12 teams.  If I was a Stanford fan, I would have expected better play at this point.  

Again, where is this coming from? He was a FR all American last year and was the first team All PAC 12 LT this year while playing through injuries, and a lot of outlets have predicted him as being an All-American LT next year. Like one person said halfway through the year that Little wasn’t doing so great and now people all just take it as fact that he’s not good.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

^pre-med

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Little hasn't exactly been a bust at Stanford

No, not a bust, but the few games I saw of him this year, he didn't show too much growth from last year. Still a lot of inconsistency, and some terrible pass here and there. Not too surprising, as they're not getting the same type of coaching the guys before them at Stanford were getting. I think you're correct in where you're leaning, that under Yancy and Hand, we'd probably see a better player. But he's still damn good. 

Edit: I'm probably being far too critical of the kid. My hate-Stanford bias coming out. Fuck stanford. 

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Everyone’s favorite recruiting info site orangebloods says they spoke with Shepherd and Texas coaches should be in on Thursday

Perfect. So his OV will be over in time for him to make the aggy Super Bowl recruiting event and yuk it up with his future teammates.

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Perfect. So his OV will be over in time for him to make the aggy Super Bowl recruiting event and yuk it up with his future teammates.

I think this is about Herman's in-home visit being on Thursday.  IIRC OV's can last 48 hours?  If he arrives Friday evening he can stay until Sunday evening.  OV's provide transportation so send him straight home.

• Like 1