Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Again, where is this coming from? He was a FR all American last year and was the first team All PAC 12 LT this year while playing through injuries, and a lot of outlets have predicted him as being an All-American LT next year. Like one person said halfway through the year that Little wasn’t doing so great and now people all just take it as fact that he’s not good.

I watched him several times this year when he struggled. No idea if he was injured though. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

The 9.95’ers are more bullish our chances if he indeed makes the visit. I’m pretty ambivalent about Shepherd at this point, though. It would help recruiting perception but offer no real help to our roster. And since we will finish ahead of Aggy no matter who he signs with I really don’t care anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Perfect. So his OV will be over in time for him to make the aggy Super Bowl recruiting event and yuk it up with his future teammates.

If you guys aren't fired up about Javonne Shepherd becoming a Texas Longhorn, then that's your fucking problem. This young man has been committed since last June and has not wavered.

You know who's actually pushing an agenda with this recruitment? It sure as shit is not Footwork King, sirs. It damn sure isn't this young man himself. No, no, no. It's all of you nervous fuckers who can't hold their water. Stop being a fucking amoeba. Pull your shit together and get behind this young man and the finishing of his journey into signing day, and then becoming one of the most reliable, sturdy OLs this program has ever seen.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fud said:

I watched him several times this year when he struggled. No idea if he was injured though. 

I didn’t watch him a ton this year, so I’m not saying he’s great, but people keep throwing it out there that he sucks and it seems odd to me considering the awards he’s pulled in. I do know he missed multiple games due to injury and played a couple others at below 100%. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

If you guys aren't fired up about Javonne Shepherd becoming a Texas Longhorn, then that's your fucking problem. This young man has been committed since last June and has not wavered.

You know who's actually pushing an agenda with this recruitment? It sure as shit is not Footwork King, sirs. It damn sure isn't this young man himself. No, no, no. It's all of you nervous fuckers who can't hold their water. Stop being a fucking amoeba. Pull your shit together and get behind this young man and the finishing of his journey into signing day, and then becoming one of the most reliable, sturdy OLs this program has ever seen.

Is that you @Hank Scorpio?

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I didn’t watch him a ton this year, so I’m not saying he’s great, but people keep throwing it out there that he sucks and it seems odd to me considering the awards he’s pulled in. I do know he missed multiple games due to injury and played a couple others at below 100%. 

He might not have been 100%, but I watched probably three games at different parts of the season, and he struggled in each. He didn't look particularly athletic and fluid like he did as a prospect, and got beat quite a bit, but he also might have just been injured. Like you said, he was first team all Pac 12 (one of six it looks like), so either I just missed him looking great, the conference has shitty offensive linemen, or the voters got it wrong. Or I'm blind. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Obviously, I follow your sarcasm, but this is truly a player I care nothing about getting. I don't know what he will become, but I have a pretty strong idea. In my personal life, I avoid people like Shepherd at all costs, and I don't think he'd be a positive for Texas in any way.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who is this posting under CTJs username???  And what have you done with CTJ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shepherd has natural talents that hold the promise of being a plus contributor as well unfortunately as multiple red flags. Prior to his recent apparent tweet of loyalty and rumor of being on the outs with FWK, if forced with a gun to my head, I would have bet against his signing with us. I have said and continue to opine, though, that attending/missing the aggy Super Bowl party is the big tell. By Sunday night, I think we will know fairly well where he is heading.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Again, where is this coming from? He was a FR all American last year and was the first team All PAC 12 LT this year while playing through injuries, and a lot of outlets have predicted him as being an All-American LT next year. Like one person said halfway through the year that Little wasn’t doing so great and now people all just take it as fact that he’s not good.

agree... I will take it a step further. IMO, ratings are highly subjective and should only be used as a base line.  I dont care if a guy is a 5* based on someone's opinion, if he contributes, then he isnt a bust. He may not live up to expectations but he isnt a bust.  And, starter is not a bust regardless of personal opinions (like GG), even if he is starting at a different position than recruited such as John Chiles or even another team (Jevan Snead). - disappointment? yes. Bust? no.  Blue chip (4/5*) players that dont see the field are busts, IMO, and Texas has had their full share of those highly recruited players that dont contribute (ie, Tray Allen, Andrew Kelson, etc).  

jmo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tittiesandbeer said:

Sounds like bs to me but who knows. I dont remember Evans associating with FWK.  It could possibly be why Evans brother is taking a strong stance with Zach now.

Demas made a visit to tOSU and there was an exchange on twitter about it with FWK and Evans. I don't think Evans went on this visit though. 

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

IDGAF about All Pac 12 or any of that shit - I do care about him being bitchmade by Utah, Washington, WSU, and Notre Dame. Their entire OL was mauled up front numerous games this season, Little included. Look, Stanford OL get the benefit of the doubt come voting season, as they should, because of their history. That said, Bloomgren ain't walking through the door and Carberry is no Bloomgren. Little is the same player he was when he left Texas, minus a bit of body shaping. He is not showing development at near the rate we've seen from guys with comparable talents (and many with lesser talents). That's partially on him but a lot is on Stanford and their current coaching because that OL is NOT the OL of Stanford's recent history. They may be getting the benefit of the doubt because of that recent history but you don't watch them and think "dominant, powerful, strong, technical" - you watch them and you think "meh". He was a 5* player for a reason - he's got an incredible frame and athleticism and he's going to go high in the draft and head to the NFL but he has NOT developed as a player, not nearly where he should be. 

23 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Shepherd has natural talents that hold the promise of being a plus contributor as well unfortunately as multiple red flags. Prior to his recent apparent tweet of loyalty and rumor of being on the outs with FWK, if forced with a gun to my head, I would have bet against his signing with us. I have said and continue to opine, though, that attending/missing the aggy Super Bowl party is the big tell. By Sunday night, I think we will know fairly well where he is heading.

Really not much else to say. I’ll also add, if he signs with us, it will mean we saved our powder for the end of this recruitment and all of aggy’s “effort” will have counted for jack shit. 

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

IDGAF about All Pac 12 or any of that shit - I do care about him being bitchmade by Utah, Washington, WSU, and Notre Dame. Their entire OL was mauled up front numerous games this season, Little included. Look, Stanford OL get the benefit of the doubt come voting season, as they should, because of their history. That said, Bloomgren ain't walking through the door and Carberry is no Bloomgren. Little is the same player he was when he left Texas, minus a bit of body shaping. He is not showing development at near the rate we've seen from guys with comparable talents (and many with lesser talents). That's partially on him but a lot is on Stanford and their current coaching because that OL is NOT the OL of Stanford's recent history. They may be getting the benefit of the doubt because of that recent history but you don't watch them and think "dominant, powerful, strong, technical" - you watch them and you think "meh". He was a 5* player for a reason - he's got an incredible frame and athleticism and he's going to go high in the draft and head to the NFL but he has NOT developed as a player, not nearly where he should be. 

I would take Little in a second at Texas but he hasn't lived up to the hype and his recruiting ranking. At least yet. 

Edited by texasstrong12

26 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

agree... I will take it a step further. IMO, ratings are highly subjective and should only be used as a base line.  I dont care if a guy is a 5* based on someone's opinion, if he contributes, then he isnt a bust. He may not live up to expectations but he isnt a bust.  And, starter is not a bust regardless of personal opinions (like GG), even if he is starting at a different position than recruited such as John Chiles or even another team (Jevan Snead). - disappointment? yes. Bust? no.  Blue chip (4/5*) players that dont see the field are busts, IMO, and Texas has had their full share of those highly recruited players that dont contribute (ie, Tray Allen, Andrew Kelson, etc).  

jmo

I would add that those voted on awards are also very much skewed to PR and overall team quality than to actual play. Being a highly-recruited guy is more likely to get you on an All-Conference list than a nobody with similar or sometime even better play. I would like to see what sort of rating he got from PFF. I know they aren't perfect either, but seeing how they have him stacked up nationally might be useful data.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tittiesandbeer said:

Sounds like bs to me but who knows. I dont remember Evans associating with FWK.  It could possibly be why Evans brother is taking a strong stance with Zach now.

LOL, the shit posters make up about knowing wassss goin down wit da recruits make me laugh. No one knows shit even the guys making it their careers and people that actually buy into this bullshit makes me laugh. "guns were pulled" LOLLLLL. 

Side note I would take Shepherd all day no questions asked all of this "he isn't worth it" people are dumb asses. You take on headaches with crazy high end possibilities and if they get out of control you move on. What do you think Bama and Clemson have on their roster? 5 star choir boys? GTFO.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

jmo

Generally speaking, the recruiting rankings are a good guide. They obviously have hit and misses. 

The thing that bothers me is when people just list a recruits star ranking as some type of justification for how good a player is.

You see this all the time with aggys. When Priest Willis transferred to aggy all you heard is "he was the #39 composite recruit in the country". When reality is Priest Willis sucked ass and wasn't anywhere close to a high 4 star talent. 

Or you will see their boards argue that "LJH isn't all that good because he was a 3 star coming out of HS and he couldn't hang with the 5 star DBs at LSU/Alabama." People use recruiting rankings to skew their arguments instead of using context. 

Edited by texasstrong12

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You take on headaches with crazy high end possibilities and if they get out of control you move on. What do you think Bama and Clemson have on their roster? 5 star choir boys? GTFO.

I think the question here is whether or not Shepherd is a "high end possibility." The guy couldn't play his whole senior year without getting suspended from his team, knowing that his future depends on getting a college football scholarship. IMO, that does not speak well of his potential or his judgment. I don't care what his family background may be.

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I think the question here is whether or not Shepherd is a "high end possibility." The guy couldn't play his whole senior year without getting suspended from his team, knowing that his future depends on getting a college football scholarship. IMO, that does not speak well of his potential or his judgment. I don't care what his family background may be.

It's really this simple: high-upside, but also won't wallow in a roster for 3-4 years taking a scholarship.  Shepherd will either pan out or transfer/get kicked off the team, especially with the 2020 OL class coming in behind him.  

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well the coaching staff seems to think he is a "high end possibility" as they are still recruiting him fairly aggressively. I mean it is not like our staffs have not made bad mistakes in recruiting so that might not mean he is for sure worth the effort, but hey I am willing to take my chances. I hope he ends up here and lives up to whatever our football staff has in mind for him.

59 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Calvin Anderson was a 2 star right?

So was Elijah Rodriguez. Man I was encouraged to see us develop a borderline player like him into a competent Big 12 lineman.

Edit: Oh wait he was actually a low 3 star. Well...still.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Next stop:

TZKB.gif

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So was Elijah Rodriguez. Man I was encouraged to see us develop a borderline player like him into a competent Big 12 lineman.

Edit: Oh wait he was actually a low 3 star. Well...still.

since mack showed up I’m not sure how many two-stars we’ve even taken.  maybe gideon?

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Some guys on secrant have been following the situation for a while.  Apparently FWK is on the outs with Shepard's family.  That is nothing but a positive from our perspective.

I would consider ditching FWK a big sign that he's making smart decisions and is ready to make the leap. If he's all in, his path via Texas has future draft pick on it.