Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You can see Braun play and decide for yourself here. He's the left guard, #75.

Color me meh.

Kid is a devastating run blocker where gets a nice angle on a guy.  But his pulling in those clips sucks ass, and his pass blocking is weak, too.

27 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rashard Lawrence is a stud.  Then they have that Tech transfer.  Not sure who the other one is, maybe Glen Logan.

Lawrence is legit. Fehoko is above average but isn't a monster by any means. Plus they get Chaisson back from injury (sorry to trigger everyone). 

LSU will be the best DL we play next year but Clemson's DL this year is arguably one of top 3 in CFB history. It's not surprising the Clemson DL worked that offensive lineman above. They dominated everyone.

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lawrence is legit. Fehoko is above average but isn't a monster by any means. Plus they get Chaisson back from injury (sorry to trigger everyone). 

LSU will be the best DL we play next year but Clemson's DL this year is arguably one of top 3 in CFB history. It's not surprising the Clemson DL worked that offensive lineman above. They dominated everyone.

Cosmi, Kerstetter, Okafor, Shack, whatever grand transfer we bring in... it'll be an O-line of 3-stars against one of the most talented D-lines in the country. Will be a huge test of Hand's development skills.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Cosmi, Kerstetter, Okafor, Shack, whatever grand transfer we bring in... it'll be an O-line of 3-stars against one of the most talented D-lines in the country. Will be a huge test of Hand's development skills.

Cosmi may be a 3 star but he played at All Big 12 level for a lot of the year. Shack really developed under Hand as well. I like our chances.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

LSU is interesting because I agree with Nahlin that we match up well. They're a lot like Georgia in the sense if you can stop the run they are really one dimensional at times. Stop the run and you would think Ehlinger and our WR group will be better than what LSU has. Burrow is decent though. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Exactly. I too find it comical to refer to guys as 3 stars who were ranked as 3 stars by every single recruiting service in the country. lol. My friend.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but referring to Cosmi as a "3 star" is dumb. Everyone knows Cosmi was a 3 star but recruiting services hit and miss on their evaluations. In no way is Cosmi a 3 star talent regardless of where the recruiting services ranked him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, futureman said:

keep going, this is awesome. 

Terrible wording on my part but the point remains. Cosmi might have been rated as a "3 star" but he's been anything but a 3 star talent since he's been at Texas. 

Referring to players like Cosmi as "3 stars" when they've clearly outperformed their initial rankings is just dumb. It's like saying our WR group was going to struggle last year with a 3 star LJH and low 4 star Johnson. Everyone knew they were more talented than their recruiting rankings. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Terrible wording on my part but the point remains. Cosmi might have been rated as a "3 star" but he's been anything but a 3 star talent since he's been at Texas. 

Referring to players like Cosmi as "3 stars" when they've clearly outperformed their initial rankings is just dumb. It's like saying our WR group was going to struggle last year with a 3 star LJH and low 4 star Johnson. Everyone knew they were more talented than their recruiting rankings. 

yeah, but, LJH and cosmi were three star players.  that’s an inarguable fact, proven by the internet.

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah, but, LJH and cosmi were three star players.  that’s an inarguable fact, proven by the internet.

Nobody is denying Cosmi is a "3 star" in terms of the recruiting rankings it's the context Satya used. It was a criticism of the talent level of the OL when reality is Cosmi is much more talented than his 3 star ranking. 

If you say Cosmi is a 3 star it's a fact. When you use that as a justification for why LSU is going to give the Texas OL issues it's just silly. 

But we're talking in circles. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Nobody is denying Cosmi is a "3 star" in terms of the recruiting rankings it's the context Satya used. It was a criticism of the talent level of the OL when reality is Cosmi is much more talented than his 3 star ranking. 

If you say Cosmi is a 3 star it's a fact. When you use that as a justification for why LSU is going to give the Texas OL issues it's just silly. 

But we're just talking in circles. 

you just need to accept that recruiting rankings don’t mean much except to the people that use message boards.  cosmi is a three star.  sometimes three stars overachieve, like sam.  he’s still a three star.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

LJH was a 3 star because the recruiting services failed to project his college/NFL position. If he had played more WR at SLC, he would have been a 4 star. 

Lazy ass recruiters saw good film and production, but they thought he was too tall for RB. 

Yeah, most people will even tell you that LJH was the best player on the field in HS against good teams. They worried too much about positional fit. But I can at least understand that justification even if it was off. 

Seems more egregious to completely miss on an evaluation like Cosmi vs having questions about positional fit. 

Cosmi was ranked #1123 so it's not like he was a mid to high 3 star either. 

Edited by texasstrong12

It just shows that OL is probably the toughest position to evaluate.

Hell, our two best OL this decade are  both 3 stars (by the recruiting services). One of which played TE for a couple years in HS and the other was a recruit with a shit offer list. We've landed a lot of blue-chip caliber recruits on the OL over the years so it's not like there haven't been a lot of busts on that level too.  

OL is the one position where I think you can really overachieve in terms of the recruiting rankings if you have somebody that can evaluate. Hopefully, that's Hand. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, most people will even tell you that LJH was the best player on the field in HS against good teams. They worried too much about positional fit. But I can at least understand that justification even if it was off. 

Seems more egregious to completely miss on an evaluation like Cosmi vs having questions about positional fit. 

Cosmi was ranked #1123 so it's not like he was a mid to high 3 star either. 

To be fair, OL is the hardest position to project and tends to be where the biggest flat out misses in rankings occur.  Balance, intelligence, attitude and growth potential are a lot harder to gauge than height, weight and speed for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Referring to Cosmi as a "3 star" is comical. He's been anything but a 3 star talent so far Texas. 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but referring to Cosmi as a "3 star" is dumb. Everyone knows Cosmi was a 3 star

Referring to Cosmi as a "3 star" is comical.

Cosmi might have been rated as a 3 star

Nobody is denying Cosmi is a "3 star" 

If you say Cosmi is a 3 star it's a fact.

You’re realkg making this too easy for me. 

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re realkg making this too easy for me. 

like I said bad wording on my part. It was in the context of Satya's post.

Referring to Cosmi as a "3 star" as a justification for why Texas will struggle against LSU's DL is silly. It's obvious Cosmi has overachieved and isn't a 3 star talent even though that's where he was ranked in the recruiting services. 

No shit he's a 3 star in the recruiting rankings. Bad wording and all my point is not that he's a 3 star in the recruiting rankings it's that using the "3 star" argument is dumb in the context of Cosmi and LSU. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

like I said bad wording on my part. It was in the context of Satya's post.

Referring to Cosmi as a "3 star" as a justification for why Texas will struggle against LSU's DL is silly. It's obvious Cosmi has overachieved and isn't a 3 star talent even though that's where he was ranked in the recruiting services. 

No shit he's a 3 star in the recruiting rankings. Bad wording and all my point is not that he's a 3 star in the recruiting rankings it's that using the "3 star" argument is dumb in the context of Cosmi and LSU. 

Can you elaborate on this 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4