Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Did you not see this past season? We had a program stalwart transfer to Texas Tech because he got passed by freshmen on the depth chart.

A) Not midseason and B) I'm making a presumption that the talent difference/experience advantage between McCulloch and Floyd is less distinct than Sterns and Bonney

23 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

A) Not midseason and B) I'm making a presumption that the talent difference/experience advantage between McCulloch and Floyd is less distinct than Sterns and Bonney

First Ossai doesn’t play ILB, so McCulloch and Ossai will absolutely not be the two on the field if we only play 2 in specific formations. 

you made up the mid season part. I just said replaced by year end.You’re also making bold proclamations based off nothing. If Orlando has super talented freshmen, he gets them on the field. 

Sterns, Foster, and Ossai were all starting by the bowl game with Cook seeing regular playing time too. McCulloch isn’t a natural Mac. He’s best fitted at B-backer but Ossai already passed him up. Remember that part about Ossai starting? He overtook McCulloch, you know a freshman replacing a “program stalwart” by year’s end. Anyways, McCulloch isn’t a natural Mac and one of our new arrivals needs to take his job by year end if we want to have a good defense next year.

55 minutes ago, deech said:

It will be interesting to see what Herman does if Shepard does not show for an official and it will be interesting to hear how much communication they have with Shepard behind the scenes.  I agree with CTJ that it sounds like we are about to get a tried to make it in but had car issues cancellation on the UT OV.

Shephard has already given Aggy a silent. There is a reason they keep mentioning him as signing during projected finishes 

8 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Don't forget Half of you were ready to bury Charles O last year. 

I don't remember that. I remember Charles contemplating entering the draft after his junior year, and people saying it would have been a terrible mistake based on his play to that point (which it probably would have been).

20 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Orlando will make sure the best players play. I have full confidence in that. Sometimes teams need leadership on the field and if anything Shark will definitely be that next year the same as Wheeler was this year.  

Don't forget Half of you were ready to bury Charles O last year. 

Lulz. Wheeler Was literally our worst defensive player most of the year. We don’t need another Wheeler on the defense. In fact, that’s exactly what we need to avoid by finding someone who can beat out Shark if he’s playing Mac. I can still see OSU running outside zone on him for 8 yards a pop over and over again.

also, half of us were not ready to bury Charles O last year. That’s total bullshit.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

McCulloch was brutal playing LB against WVU this year. Completely out of his natural position and it showed in a big way. No way he's the answer in the Big 12.

Yep. If we want to have a good defense next year, then Shark will likely just be a depth guy who can plug in spots in case of injury. I’d love it for shark to take a huge leap and get drafted next year, but I just don’t see the skillset for that to happen. 

23 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Do you actually know this or are you hypothesizing like everyone else on this thread?

Most of this board knows this to be unimpeachable truth. In fact, I know at least 4-5 regular posters on this board and this very thread that were in the room with JS when he gave aTm a verbal, not including my own august presence. So, yes we know this. That or you're just really good at asking stupid fucking questions. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Do you actually know this or are you hypothesizing like everyone else on this thread?

I am hypothesizing, but when Hamm/Perroni/Looch keep saying Shepherd will sign with A&M on NS2. They're not really guessing. They usually include the 9.95 hedges with stuff like that, but I haven't seen any hedges. In fact, they keep listing any combination of Mowry, Ellison, Shephard, Russell, Williams, Anias Smith for the final 3, but Shephard is the only constant in each combination. It is clear he gave a silent commitment to Aggy after the Clemson game, and why they have been so confident in landing him since that game. 

I'm sure there are some on Texas' side that believe he will flip flop again and sign with Texas, but none of his actions (not signing with Texas on NSD1, visiting Aggy, etc) have shown any interest in sticking with Texas. I would love to be wrong, but the tea leaves are throwing up red flip flags, and have been for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I am hypothesizing, but when Hamm/Perroni/Looch keep saying Shepherd will sign with A&M on NS2. They're not really guessing. They usually include the 9.95 hedges with stuff like that, but I haven't seen any hedges. In fact, they keep listing any combination of Mowry, Ellison, Shephard, Russell, Williams, Anias Smith for the final 3, but Shephard is the only constant in each combination. It is clear he gave a silent commitment to Aggy after the Clemson game, and why they have been so confident in landing him since that game. 

I'm sure there are some on Texas' side that believe he will flip flop again and sign with Texas, but none of his actions (not signing with Texas on NSD1, visiting Aggy, etc) have shown any interest in sticking with Texas. I would love to be wrong, but the tea leaves are throwing up red flip flags, and have been for a long time. 

IT and TFB both seem confident he will sign with Texas (with the usual 9.95 hedging)

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Most of this board knows this to be unimpeachable truth. In fact, I know at least 4-5 regular posters on this board and this very thread that were in the room with JS when he gave aTm a verbal, not including my own august presence. So, yes we know this. That or you're just really good at asking stupid fucking questions. 

Eat dick, fuckface. 

You don't know shit now and you never have. You spew all over this board like you know shit but are proven wrong time and again. Your opinion on shit is less than worthless to me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, satyanash said:

Are they? Nahlin had all but written him off a week or two ago.

Wells and Nahlin were both optimistic on their podcast they just released IIRC. Of course they said if he makes it on campus his weekend. TFB had a post today saying they think he is Texas if he makes it as well

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Thanks.

I agree with you that it looks like he is flipping, I've suspected that for a while. That's why I asked if you had any actual evidence of it, because things get said on this forum in the form of absolutes pretty frequently with no basis in reality.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Eat dick, fuckface. 

You don't know shit now and you never have. You spew all over this board like you know shit but are proven wrong time and again. Your opinion on shit is less than worthless to me.

A low opinion in your eyes means I'm doing something right. But I fail to see how anything you just said accounts for how stupid your fucking question was in the first place. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The highest upside for the nickel defense next year, if we don't land Lakia, likely comes from a lineup with Ossai at B-backer, Floyd at Mac, and Overshown at Rover. Their collective lack of experience means that probably won't be the likely or best starting lineup to start the year.

Any chance Dele finds more time on the field in 2019??  Maybe this Spring with more reps, the light bulb goes on??

5 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Eat dick, fuckface. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A low opinion in your eyes means I'm doing something right. But I fail to see how anything you just said accounts for how stupid your fucking question was in the first place. 

1,000 pages, here we come!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Just remember what Jason Higdon always said. No, not "Lol my friend."

If they don't take an OV, don't expect them to sign. I fully expect Shepherd to be a "surprise" visitor to aggy's Super Bowl thing this Sunday.

I think that's a good thing. He's dead weight. A whole bunch of dead weight. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Just remember what Jason Higdon always said. No, not "Lol my friend."

If they don't take an OV, don't expect them to sign. I fully expect Shepherd to be a "surprise" visitor to aggy's Super Bowl thing this Sunday.

I think that's a good thing. He's dead weight. A whole bunch of dead weight. 

I agree with others that it’ll be easy for any fan base to rationalize a Shepherd take, but I’d prefer we not waste a spot on him and save it for 2020 where we can get an extra OL prospect that is more likely to be a good college player. 

My issue with Shepherd is that he doesn’t have just one red flag. He’s got flags over academics, character (punching a coach/getting suspended), work ethic, and weight (he was up to roughly 350 at some point in the last year). If he only had like one, maybe two of these red flags, I’d be more inclined to take a chance on him, but all those things combined make his bust rate extremely, extremely high.

• Like 8

Shark will end up plugging in where ever he’s needed as a backup. Dele will start,depending on his spring. But it won’t hurt us too bad at the beginning because dele will do fine against LSU.  Giving Floyd reps against a good opponent with great athletes minus the fire power will also  beneficial for him. 

I have a feeling Johnson will be the odd man out due to his injury and maybe not being able to go fully in the spring. 

Edit: I know Johnson  doesn’t play the same position but out of our linebackers as a whole we might not see a lot of him this year. 

Edited by DoneWithit

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

My issue with Shepherd is that he doesn’t have just one red flag. He’s got flags over academics, character (punching a coach/getting suspended), work ethic, and weight (he was up to roughly 350 at some point in the last year). If he only had like one, maybe two of these red flags, I’d be more inclined to take a chance on him, but all those things combined make his bust rate extremely, extremely high.

And from my perspective, it's not like he's some super-elite generational talent. He's a big guy with a lot of potential. OK? There are lots of those that come along. Most of them don't have half the known issues that Shepherd has. He isn't worth the drama. He also wouldn't be the subject of that much discussion except that I believe A&M decided months ago that this would be their great embarrassment of tay-yew for the 2019 class.

Fuck them. Don't care.

• Like 5

Just now, Tex Pete said:

And from my perspective, it's not like he's some super-elite generational talent. He's a big guy with a lot of potential. OK? There are lots of those that come along. Most of them don't have half the known issues that Shepherd has. He isn't worth the drama. He also wouldn't be the subject of that much discussion except that I believe A&M decided months ago that this would be their great embarrassment of tay-yew for the 2019 class.

Fuck them. Don't care.

Bro, none of that matters. We need to stay ahead of aggy in the 24/7 composite rankings. That is ALL that really matters! 

19 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Fuck them. Don't care.

He's also not a guy you can stash and mold until he's actually ready to play. If we sign and try to redshirt him, he's almost certainly going to transfer.

No point in signing a developmental guy who already has one foot out of the door and poor influences around him. 

Edited by Atticus

18 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

In their update on the last page they said they were confident he would make the visit right now and that if so Texas would have the advantage heading into NSD2. 

That's fair, although I think they worded that poorly. I think if you asked either Justin or Eric straight up if they're confident in Texas signing Shepherd, they'd say no 

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree with others that it’ll be easy for any fan base to rationalize a Shepherd take, but I’d prefer we not waste a spot on him and save it for 2020 where we can get an extra OL prospect that is more likely to be a good college player. 

You forgot one big ass flag, which is probably the biggest one of them all on this recruitment. 

• Like 1