Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I'm with ctj in that I don't see Shepherd signing with us, a likely not even visiting. My head says that we are better off without the poor risk/reward he represents. I can't help a little bit of a visceral hope we land him anyway. As for the Kate talk, it sounds like the Texas/aggy comparison could be culture v agriculture or it could be pounding ovaries v pounding oviaries.

• Like 2

Interesting thing to think about regarding Lakia Henry and LB, Jeff Howe said Overshoen was around 220-225 by the sugar Bowl. If he’s anywhere near that, then he’ll likely be playing Rover next year. 

So our guys with a chance at starting next year are: 

Mac: Floyd, Adeoye, McCullough

Rover: Johnson, Overshown, maybe Henry if he comes 

B-backer: Ossai (he’s gonna be a freaking stud.), Hobbs.

i expect McCullough will start at one of the three spots in game 1 but probably won’t be starting by the end of the year, possibly passed up by Floyd. Ossai will likely have B-backer locked down, then it’s up to Overshown/the Jucos to find someone who can make it happen at Rover. I’d still like to have Henry, just to give us that much better of a chance to have an All-Big 12 caliber Rover.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dele plays a lot early against teams like La Tech and LSU since he has experience I. The program and is better against running teams.

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

I think our linebacker group will be fine with or without Henry.

I’d like to see us hold onto Shepherd as a long term development project and sign Proctor to take over one of the open OG positions. Realistically both are 50/50 propositions.

Even if we don’t sign another player at all I like how our roster looks. Clearly 2 OL in a class would not be ideal but having redshirted all the OL from last year really helps.

Has Shepherd qualified academically for Texas??

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/2/8/16990550/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2018-class

It’ll be interesting to see this article and the blue chip article updated after the 2019 class. I’d prefer 2 yr and 4 yr ranks over the 5 yr rank, since so few fifth year seniors stay around, but regardless, we were 4th in 2 yr avg and 14th in 5 year avg.

We’ll move up to 3rd in 2 yr and likely climb a ton in 5 yr, since we’re dropping the 17th ranked 2014 class for our likely 4th ranked 2019 class. 

Now I know we lost a lot from 2016, so those numbers overinflated the true talent on our roster, but still, it goes to show that we’re starting to build one of the best 3 or 4 rosters in the country. Not to mention, our low-ranked 2017 class at least contains arguably the two most important positional cornerstones: an elite QB and potentially elite OT. 

Starting in 2020, we’ll have a top 4 roster in the country. Exciting times, especially considering the morass of futility we’ve been wading through the last 9 years. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Just once, once I would like to see a report that a recruit had a terrible time on a visit.

Like maybe any hit other than a home run?

"We really hit a ground-rule double on his visit!"

On the other hand, I guess you could say we only hit a double with Bru's visit, but still scored on multiple fielding errors... 

• Like 2

Just now, Hizzaz Mahdoud said:

Like maybe any hit other than a home run?

"We really hit a ground-rule double on his visit!"

On the other hand, I guess you could say we only hit a double with Bru's visit, but still scored on multiple fielding errors... 

Fuck that noise.  It's obvious that we hit a home run on Bru's visit.

USC just hit a grand slam.  But after the umps did a replay review, they realized that a fan in the outfield interfered on the play, so the play actually turned into an out for USC.

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

USC just hit a grand slam.  But after the umps did a replay review, they realized that a fan in the outfield interfered on the play, so the play actually turned into an out for USC.

rsmxuqywuxsiwxeq3wlm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Has Shepherd qualified academically for Texas??

Also... With publicity that Texas has received for getting Bru, aggies will go all out nuclear to be sure Shepherd flips so they grab attention NSD2.

They hope for headlines like:

"aggies Flip Texas Commit and Win NSD2"

11 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Yeah...I like your's better, Katfid.

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Also... With publicity that Texas has received for getting Bru, aggies will go all out nuclear to be sure Shepherd flips so they grab attention NSD2.

Meh. If they do, they do. It was fun to make their heads explode while we could.

But we will see what happens with Shepherd.

I posted this in the other thread, but 247 released the "my five-stars" lists from various recruiting writers: https://247sports.com/Article/Five-star-player-rankings-football-recruiting-experts-128209822/

Steve Wiltfong has three A&M 5*, but the two other than Leal are not the ones you would expect: Dylan Wright, and Demani Richardson. His only Texas 5* is Bru McCoy. https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Steve-Wiltfong-9165/UserPlayerRankings/

Barton Simmons' is pretty uninteresting, besides the omission of Whittington: https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Barton-Simmons-8607/UserPlayerRankings/

Bobby Burton has John Emery at #1, Branson Bragg as #2 and four Texas commits as 5*: Bru, Whittington, Floyd, and Owens - https://247sports.com/UserRanking/BobbyBurton-9201/UserPlayerRankings/

Perroni's doesn't deviate from the consensus that much, except for Texas - no Whittington or Owens: https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Brian-Perroni-9190/UserPlayerRankings/

Damon Sayles has Leal as the #1 overall recruit and also didn't include Whittington or Owens; somewhat surprisingly, he did not list Cupp as a 5* either: https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Damon-Sayles-9185/UserPlayerRankings/

OU's writer, Brandon Drumm, has four OU 5* in the top 15: Rattler (3), Haselwood (8), Wease (10), and Bridges (12!). He has Whittington, Owens, and Bru as 5*. https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Brandon-Drumm-9210/UserPlayerRankings/

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Shepherd is not a good enough prospect to create that headline on his own.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I posted this in the other thread, but 247 released the "my five-stars" lists from various recruiting writers: https://247sports.com/Article/Five-star-player-rankings-football-recruiting-experts-128209822/

Steve Wiltfong has three A&M 5*, but the two other than Leal are not the ones you would expect: Dylan Wright, and Demani Richardson. His only Texas 5* is Bru McCoy. https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Steve-Wiltfong-9165/UserPlayerRankings/

Barton Simmons' is pretty uninteresting, besides the omission of Whittington: https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Barton-Simmons-8607/UserPlayerRankings/

Bobby Burton has Branson Bragg as #2 and four Texas commits as 5*: Bru, Whittington, Floyd, and Owens - https://247sports.com/UserRanking/BobbyBurton-9201/UserPlayerRankings/

Perroni's doesn't deviate from the consensus that much, except for Texas - no Whittington or Owens: https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Brian-Perroni-9190/UserPlayerRankings/

Damon Sayles has Leal as the #1 overall recruit and also didn't include Whittington or Owens; somewhat surprisingly, he did not list Cupp as a 5* either: https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Damon-Sayles-9185/UserPlayerRankings/

OU's writer, Brandon Drumm, has four OU 5* in the top 15: Rattler (3), Haselwood (8), Wease (10), and Bridges (12!). He has Whittington, Owens, and Bru as 5*. https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Brandon-Drumm-9210/UserPlayerRankings/

Noticed that as well. Wiltfong doesn't seem to like Texas much, or prefers other certain schools...

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Meh. If they do, they do. It was fun to make their heads explode while we could.

But we will see what happens with Shepherd.

We'll know the truth in a few years, but if Shepherd goes to aggyland.... I wouldn't be surprised that it ends up helping Texas in at least 3 ways:

1) Saves 1 more slot for Horns 2020 Class.

2) Texas dodges the bullet of a distracting "me first" kinda player in their locker room.

3) Hurts aggies because he ends up being a drama queen and doesn't pan out as a starting OL at A&M. 

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Transportation is paid for to and from an official visit no? Seems like fwk would have to find a more legit sounding reason to have Javonne pass on to coaches.

I wouldn’t take me as literally as you did here. I was just spitballing an excuse and probably chose too low key of one, for these guys, frankly. 

56 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I'm with ctj in that I don't see Shepherd signing with us, a likely not even visiting. My head says that we are better off without the poor risk/reward he represents. I can't help a little bit of a visceral hope we land him anyway. As for the Kate talk, it sounds like the Texas/aggy comparison could be culture v agriculture or it could be pounding ovaries v pounding oviaries.

Let me be perfectly clear about Shepherd. If Texas somehow winds up with him, I’ll be out in front rationalizing why I am excited to see what they can do with him. I’ll be fucking shocked if that happens though. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm at that place with Shepherd where I feel the kid has a lot of negative going on in his home life and around him, FWK being part of that.  I hope he finds a place where he want to be and can focus and succeed, I just haven't seen anything that suggests that Texas is that place for him, but who knows.  I do think getting out of Houston will be good start and think College Station still way too close for him.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

3) Hurts aggies because he ends up being a drama queen and doesn't pan out as a starting OL at A&M. 

He'll start. Hell, he'll start early there. Even as flaky as he's been - you're talking about him beating out Carson Green and Colton Blanton. <-- that's your fucking 2019 2 deep at RT. RG is Hocker and Matthews. LG has Tank Jenkins behind Reed. Fucking Kellen Deisch is on the 2 deep at LT FFS. That's a lot of fucking bread. Shepherd is a flake but he's likely better than a lot of these fucking spares right now. 

3 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

There is a certain amount of risk appetite associated with shepherd. To us we all can justify not having him but maybe the staff and players feel he can be rehabbed once on campus and in a structured environment. 

To me, it's more about number of risky players you're taking per a class. If Shepherd is the only high bust guy/reach in your class, I think it's fine taking him, especially if it robs a rival who needs him more. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He'll start. Hell, he'll start early there. Even as flaky as he's been - you're talking about him beating out Carson Green and Colton Blanton. <-- that's your fucking 2019 2 deep at RT. RG is Hocker and Matthews. LG has Tank Jenkins behind Reed. Fucking Kellen Deisch is on the 2 deep at LT FFS. That's a lot of fucking bread. Shepherd is a flake but he's likely better than a lot of these fucking spares right now. 

For now, yes. He's certainly a candidate for the Daylon Mack body sculpting award by the time he's a senior, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Shepherd is not beating out bread his freshman year. He needs time to develop.

21 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Shepherd is not a good enough prospect to create that headline on his own.

Ummm, I read several texags threads detailing why Shepherd is the only commit of ours who would even be worth recruiting.

Don't ask me how they arrived at this very random conclusion that out of our entire class he's the only one they would have hoped to flip (hint hint, nudge nudge), but clearly wherever he happens to land he'll be a huge, headline making commitment. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn’t take me as literally as you did here. I was just spitballing an excuse and probably chose too low key of one, for these guys, frankly. 

Let me be perfectly clear about Shepherd. If Texas somehow winds up with him, I’ll be out in front rationalizing why I am excited to see what they can do with him. I’ll be fucking shocked if that happens though. 

Turning up in College Station instead of Austin seems like something they would do.

IT

2019 ISN'T OVER 

With 23 committed and signed (not including Shepherd), and ten of those already enrolled on campus and taking part in spring ball, Texas has put itself in the position to be patient and judicious with it's final few openings. The one pressing position seems to be adding another pair of offensive linemen to go with perhaps another linebacker to sow this up.

Along the OL, UT's hogmollie teacher Herb Hand has been hitting the red eye on the regular scouring for at least one or two big boys for his offensive front. We know he's seen or kept in touch with guys like Bamidele Olasani (Garden City CC, KS), Desmond Bland (Arizona Western College), and Willie Tyler (Iowa Western) among a few others. But it doesn't appear the Texas staff is pushing too hard, but merely setting themselves up for contingencies.

It's my impression the Horns want to sign Javonne Shepherd (Houston North Forest) and grab one of the graduate transfers. Guys like RJ Proctor (Virginia), Drew Richmond (Tennessee), and Justin Murphy (UCLA) are amongst the group, and there could be more names that appear in the Transfer Portal, so UT will continue its patience. It'll be similar to grabbing Calvin Anderson last summer. Hand will stay in contact, but a decision from any of the potential transfers likely doesn't happen until after spring. Texas wants one of these guys, but they don't necessarily need them.

On Shepherd, let's say status quo. He took a visit to Georgia and Alabama over the last four days, but again, anything is possible. He's set to see Austin this weekend. Right now we feel confident he makes that trip, and if he does follow through, Texas has the advantage going into NSD2.

At linebacker, Texas is looking to host Lakia Henry, the Garden City CC head-hunter who just took an official to Ole Miss. Right now, he likes the Rebels and Razorbacks, but still wants a peek at the 40 Acres. There are other things within this recruitment, notably getting his classes taken care of so he's eligible for D1 football.

3 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Just once, once I would like to see a report that a recruit had a terrible time on a visit.

Daniel Carson at Nebraska IIRC

Also I just want to go on the record as part of the camp that wants Shepherd. Without Shepherd we will have only signed 8 linemen in the last three cycles (not counting Grandy since he medically retired). Only signing 2 OL in two out of Herman's first three classes is not good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mike Roach: I spoke with Iowa Western OL Willie Tyler again today. He was waiting to schedule an OV to Texas for this weekend, but it sounds like they might bring him in after signing day. Herb Hand is still hard at work evaluating grad transfer guys, and Texas wants to wait to see how their numbers shake out. Tyler said he's been in contact with La Tech, and he might take a visit there this weekend. I'll update once I hear more.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see what Herman does if Shepard does not show for an official and it will be interesting to hear how much communication they have with Shepard behind the scenes.  I agree with CTJ that it sounds like we are about to get a tried to make it in but had car issues cancellation on the UT OV.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

It's incredible that none of those sites seem to employ an editor. 

That costs money. Unedited propaganda sells well enough to keep the investors and execs happy. Ultimately quality writing isn't really at the top of the list for the mouthbreathers who subscribe.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It's incredible that none of those sites seem to employ an editor. 

Yup. I’m sure it’s likely due to people like myself who don’t pay for content that I can read HERE A few hours later. :)

Edited by NTVTXN
I’m no $9.95er...Or am I?

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Interesting thing to think about regarding Lakia Henry and LB, Jeff Howe said Overshoen was around 220-225 by the sugar Bowl. If he’s anywhere near that, then he’ll likely be playing Rover next year. 

So our guys with a chance at starting next year are: 

Mac: Floyd, Adeoye, McCullough

Rover: Johnson, Overshown, maybe Henry if he comes 

B-backer: Ossai (he’s gonna be a freaking stud.), Hobbs.

i expect McCullough will start at one of the three spots in game 1 but probably won’t be starting by the end of the year, possibly passed up by Floyd. Ossai will likely have B-backer locked down, then it’s up to Overshown/the Jucos to find someone who can make it happen at Rover. I’d still like to have Henry, just to give us that much better of a chance to have an All-Big 12 caliber Rover.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dele plays a lot early against teams like La Tech and LSU since he has experience I. The program and is better against running teams.

Orlando isn't going to be demoting a program stalwart like McCulloch for a freshman in the middle of the season, particularly at Mike.  It'll be McCulloch and Ossai getting most of the snaps.  Unfortunately  Overshown and Floyd both are better short-term fits

I predict Dele transfers either after the spring or following next season.  He's the one most likely to be supplanted by Floyd. 

3 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Orlando isn't going to be demoting a program stalwart like McCulloch for a freshman in the middle of the season, particularly at Mike.  It'll be McCulloch and Ossai getting most of the snaps.  Unfortunately  Overshown and Floyd both are better short-term fits

I predict Dele transfers either after the spring or following next season.  He's the one most likely to be supplanted by Floyd. 

Did you not see this past season? We had a program stalwart transfer to Texas Tech because he got passed by freshmen on the depth chart.

• Like 1