Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

10 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
On 1/25/2019 at 9:13 PM, Treefidy said:
Your thumb is weird. The burger looks great though. 

Yes the thumb is weird. But it is mashed into the bottom bun of that whataburger. Had to drive 2 hours to Jacksonville to get it though. Was worth it.

Don't care.  Had sex Whataburger.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Bama is kind of f***ed when Saban retires. A few months ago, I thought Dabo to Bama was automatic, but now I'm not so sure. 

Same. About 2 years ago after Dabo got one I thought Bama got their next HC picked out. Now that Dabo has two. I don’t know. If you were Dabo would you leave? I sure as fuck wouldn’t. You have two titles in less than 5 years of each other. The school will pay you personally whatever you want. And they’ll also pay whatever it takes to keep the assistants you want, and go after whatever assistant you want. You have an easier path to the CFP every year than a place like Bama. There’s essentially no competition in the ACC. To me it’s a no brainer. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Same. About 2 years ago after Dabo got one I thought Bama got their next HC picked out. Now that Dabo has two. I don’t know. If you were Dabo would you leave? I sure as fuck wouldn’t. You have two titles in less than 5 years of each other. The school will pay you personally whatever you want. And they’ll also pay whatever it takes to keep the assistants you want, and go after whatever assistant you want. You have an easier path to the CFP every year than a place like Bama. There’s essentially no competition in the ACC. To me it’s a no brainer. 

This doubles as a hopeful future for Texas in the Big12, also. It will be very interesting following the next five years. If we end up in the playoffs in the next two and win, at what point does perceptions about “playing in the SEC” become a burden?  A great team like Clemson never has their perception dogged by their lousy conference or SoS.  If 247 rankings have broken aggy, imagine Texas with a regular path to the CFP and a team built to beat SEC powerhouses? 

Bj Foster
Caden Stern
Tyler Ownes

Not sure on the rest?
Maybe Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, Overshown, and Brandon Jones? (not composite 5 stars form the 247 roster  page).

Foster and Caden sterns were composite 5 stars. Green, overshown, and Owens were 247 5 stars.
Cook and Brandon Jones were, at one time,
5 star players for 247 but dropped in the final rankings.

EJ says BC is going to pick up Bru & that there’s optimism about his wavier

Well if there is one thing this staff is long on, it’s optimism. Not saying he won’t get the waiver but I wonder about the precedent that it would set and if the NCAA is ready to go there. The portal has already changed the sport by effectively enabling free agency. Granting waivers to play immediately due to assistant coaches leaving is another pretty big step in that direction. I think you’d want some friction in the transfer process or coaches will essentially be forced to recruit all 85 players on the team in addition to uncommitted high school players as well as free agent transfers from other schools.

27 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

He’s waiting for the aggy job to open up after Jimbo retires.  

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Well if there is one thing this staff is long on, it’s optimism. Not saying he won’t get the waiver but I wonder about the precedent that it would set and if the NCAA is ready to go there. The portal has already changed the sport by effectively enabling free agency. Granting waivers to play immediately due to assistant coaches leaving is another pretty big step in that direction. I think you’d want some friction in the transfer process or coaches will essentially be forced to recruit all 85 players on the team in addition to uncommitted high school players as well as free agent transfers from other schools.

Eh, the OC was hired specifically to shore up recruiting. He then left a few weeks later. If the coach is allowed to get out of his contract that easily, so should the player.

11 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I think it's more than ok to set this precedent. If a coach comes and goes that quickly then guys like Bru SHOULD be able to leave.

13 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

This doubles as a hopeful future for Texas in the Big12, also. It will be very interesting following the next five years. If we end up in the playoffs in the next two and win, at what point does perceptions about “playing in the SEC” become a burden?  A great team like Clemson never has their perception dogged by their lousy conference or SoS.  If 247 rankings have broken aggy, imagine Texas with a regular path to the CFP and a team built to beat SEC powerhouses? 

|imagine Texas with a regular path to the CFP and team built to beat SEC powerhouses?

Keep going. I’m almost there. 

The SEC doesn’t scare me. It’s becoming abundantly clear that SEC teams are built to beat SEC team, shitty ones at that, and shitty SEC teams that have large talent gaps compared to the ones that have talent, can just bully SEC  shit teams.

when SEC teams come up against ones with equal talent and drive a la Texas v. Georgia they can be beat handily. 

(Sorry if that paragraph is all stupid. I’m drunk at a Carlsbad laundromat, WHOOO SUNDAYS).

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Didn't CTJ or Huckleberry say that almost 80% of these waivers are granted when requested? I am not sure the precedent hasn't already been set. Maybe not this very specific situation, but the idea that the NCAA isn't going to stand in the way of letting transfers, who feel slighted by their previous school, play immediately.

2 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Didn't CTJ or Huckleberry say that almost 80% of these waivers are granted when requested? I am not sure the precedent hasn't already been set. Maybe not this very specific situation, but the idea that the NCAA isn't going to stand in the way of letting transfers, who feel slighted by their previous school, play immediately.

https://sports.yahoo.com/revamped-ncaa-waiver-policy-helps-transfers-play-away-222514362--ncaaf.html

- 63 football players requested waivers and 50 were approved (79 percent).

5 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Yes. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Thank you. 

The reality is, the NCAA softened their language and stance on this roughly two years ago and it’s basically been easy to get the immediate eligibility releases handled since. The NCAA can’t allow female volleyball recruits to transfer whenever the fuck they want and not expect to feel pressure in their handling of transfers in the revenue sports. They’d prefer to avoid lawsuits at this time. 

20 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

|imagine Texas with a regular path to the CFP and team built to beat SEC powerhouses?

Keep going. I’m almost there. 

The SEC doesn’t scare me. It’s becoming abundantly clear that SEC teams are built to beat SEC team, shitty ones at that, and shitty SEC teams that have large talent gaps compared to the ones that have talent, can just bully SEC  shit teams.

when SEC teams come up against ones with equal talent and drive a la Texas v. Georgia they can be beat handily. 

(Sorry if that paragraph is all stupid. I’m drunk at a Carlsbad laundromat, WHOOO SUNDAYS).

Oilfield?

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes. 

Thank you. 

The reality is, the NCAA softened their language and stance on this roughly two years ago and it’s basically been easy to get the immediate eligibility releases handled since. The NCAA can’t allow female volleyball recruits to transfer whenever the fuck they want and not expect to feel pressure in their handling of transfers in the revenue sports. They’d prefer to avoid lawsuits at this time. 

This. Plus, although the NCAA is notoriously even-handed in their treatment of programs - why just reference how fairly they've historically treated Wichita State as compared to Kentucky! -   well, let's face it, they're not interested in one of their blue-blood programs being put through the wringer any more than they already have been.  And if they force the McCoys to fight this, details will undoubtedly emerge which won't be helpful to either Southern Cal or the NCAA.

37 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

SEC teams are also built to beat shitty OU teams. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I think it's more than ok to set this precedent. If a coach comes and goes that quickly then guys like Bru SHOULD be able to leave.

And let’s not forget the alternative: Forcing athletes to wait a year to play basically endorses such blatant coaching staff shenanigans. Not saying Kliffy was part of some master plan to trap Bru, but let’s not let the school benefit directly from the exchange...even lacking proof of malfeasance. 

58 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I think Bru will argue that it's less about an offensive coordinator leaving, and more about the entire coaching staff blatantly lying to him.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

8 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

SEC teams are also built to beat shitty OU teams. 

I don't think that's by design.  It just works out that way because OU can't stop the run...

...or the pass.  It feeds the egocentric SECSEC narrative and distorts their view of the Big XII.

51 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

200.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Are there limits on transfers with immediate eligibility in sports like volleyball??  (Think I read Vb players allowed only one transfer with immediate eligibility..... A second transfer request would include the student sitting out a year??)

2) Any thought to adjustments in the transfer portal availability??  (Example: Available only from Dec 1st - Feb 1st, and May 1st - July 15th?)  

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:
On 1/25/2019 at 8:13 PM, Treefidy said:
Your thumb is weird. The burger looks great though. 

Yes the thumb is weird. But it is mashed into the bottom bun of that whataburger. Had to drive 2 hours to Jacksonville to get it though. Was worth it.

The man knew what he wanted for his birthday and went and got it. Happy birthday, crazy guy

I never hear anyone talk about this situation from the perspective of the student athlete. Until we drop the charade and start paying players, they should be as free to move b/t schools as any other student. Giving them a schollie does not make them chattel. If a kid gets a schollie for playing tuba at Texas but decides they hate Austin or can’t make the grades, do they get punished or kicked out of band if they decide to transfer to Tech? I realize that as fans, this whole free agency-style situation is frustrating and scary, but college sports aren’t supposed to be for us. They’re supposed to be about the students. These kids should be free to pursue their education (and sport) however they see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

This whole Bru McCoy episode puts me in mind of the switch of Chris Simms from Tennessee to Texas back in the day, except Bru is more amazing considering he actually attended class at USC before his epiphany.

Did anybody come in this weekend?

Henry is next week, right?