Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

|imagine Texas with a regular path to the CFP and team built to beat SEC powerhouses?
Keep going. I’m almost there. 
The SEC doesn’t scare me. It’s becoming abundantly clear that SEC teams are built to beat SEC team, shitty ones at that, and shitty SEC teams that have large talent gaps compared to the ones that have talent, can just bully SEC  shit teams.
when SEC teams come up against ones with equal talent and drive a la Texas v. Georgia they can be beat handily. 
(Sorry if that paragraph is all stupid. I’m drunk at a Carlsbad laundromat, WHOOO SUNDAYS).

Gonna hit the ocatillo afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, XOVERX said:

This whole Bru McCoy episode puts me in mind of the switch of Chris Simms from Tennessee to Texas back in the day, except Bru is more amazing considering he actually attended class at USC before his epiphany.

Did anybody come in this weekend?

Henry is next week, right?

Simms doesn’t make that switch we end up with Eli 

3 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

Same. About 2 years ago after Dabo got one I thought Bama got their next HC picked out. Now that Dabo has two. I don’t know. If you were Dabo would you leave? I sure as fuck wouldn’t. You have two titles in less than 5 years of each other. The school will pay you personally whatever you want. And they’ll also pay whatever it takes to keep the assistants you want, and go after whatever assistant you want. You have an easier path to the CFP every year than a place like Bama. There’s essentially no competition in the ACC. To me it’s a no brainer. 

I think it’s possible Gene Stallings could talk Dabo into leaving, but it’s low percentage. Agreed Dabo is in a great spot.

8 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

Ugggh, what?

Eli wasn't even on the radar in any serious way with Texas.  Like, virtually zero.

He visited. I’m with you though, it’s a bullshit argument. 

Simms was the biggest thing to happen to Texas recruiting and even the Texas image, probably ever on the recruiting front when he flipped and signed. Who fucking cares who we otherwise think we could have gotten?

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He visited. I’m with you though, it’s a bullshit argument. 

Simms was the biggest thing to happen to Texas recruiting and even the Texas image, probably ever on the recruiting front when he flipped and signed. Who fucking cares who we otherwise think we could have gotten?

Still remember the details in the hours leading up to it and after it hit the www.   Given the state of the program and the 15+ year hibernation we were coming out of..  the Simm's recruitment will likely never be beat.

Edited by UcancallmeSurly

4 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Still remember the details in the hours leading up to it and after it hit the www.   Given the state of the program and the 15+ year hibernation we were coming out of..  the Simm's recruitment will likely never be beat.

Simms was before my time of following recruiting. Is there a good story? 

Now I’m  really off topic but I recently found a used copy of the Meat Market  book at half price.  I guess it’s generally known here but was new info to me that an early 2000s UT player is quoted anonymously in there as saying the whole time he was at UT he had a free hooker.  I believe he also said he had a free “two fer” on his official visit here.  I am just assuming it was Simms but to me it seemed pretty transparent. 

8 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

It was during the early era of the internet recruiting services boom, Texas showing life after a 15 year snooze and Simms was the most recognizable name in the country (Phil's kid, USA Today Offensive POY, #1 recruit).  Tennessee was the defending NC & QBU of the 90's with Heath Shuler, Manning & Tee Martin.  Phil wanted his son there and Simms committed to Tennessee in mid December.   Most didn't consider Texas as a team that was in the final mix, these were the days when you'd look at the final top 100 national kids and hope more than one or two showed up that chose the Horns.

As the weeks rolled by, inside rumors were creeping that Simm's wasn't sold on the Vols (helicopter pressure) & couldn't get the idea of playing Texas out of his mind.  Rumors picked up steam and the sources became more confident and the Cinderalla recruitment finally came to fruition..  the effect in my opinion was second only in celebration to the 2005 NC.

In effect, Mack and Ricky gave us legit hope for the future in '98, but pulling Simms was a shout across the landscape of national CFB.  The residual effects are undeniable, feelings for Simms aside.. he's a big part of our history.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1999/01/26/Simms-changes-from-Tennessee-to-Texas/3691917326800/

• Like 5

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I'm still a little hazy about the whole math class thing, since he's not arriving til the Summer. I'd assume what Machinator suggested is likely accurate, that he has to take the math class this spring, so he couldn't be an EE and that's why Tenn dropped him and only the more desperate SEC schools are after him like Arky and Ole Miss. It's probably not just that he can't enroll early, but if he doesn't pass that math class, then he can't enroll at all. 

Regardless, I"d love it if that math requirement let another stud JUCO ILB fall into our laps. Henry can play, and he'd almost definitely see significant time playing for us over the next two years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

I remember it was widely reported Mack promised his father the starting job. But do not worry, Simms dispelled any belief that he was entitled when he showed up in a limo to report to school. 

But more importantly, he moved in on an Alpha Chi Omega I was banging my sophomore year at a mixer on 6th street. Jack Ingram was playing that night. Simms was all of 18 years old but getting served like he was Norm. I’m not bitter though. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GotThatFire said:

It definitely showed everyone he was a force to be reckoned with. He already had Cory Redding so he landed the offensive and defensive players of the year in his first full recruiting class.

E.J. Holland: Thoughts on Texas targets from Orlando Pylon 7v7

— Let’s go ahead and answer your popular Ja’Quinden Jackson question: What position will he play at the next level? Look, Jackson shouldn’t be pigeonholed to just one position right now. He has the potential to play multiple and will figure it out once he gets to the next level. I really like him as a rover, but he made some freaky plays while playing wide receiver at the tourney. Jackson isn’t a natural route runner or pass catcher, but his athleticism alone made him a force on the outside. Jackson threw just two passes during the tournament. I still think he can be a Cam Newton type under center, but he needs to dedicate himself to the position if he wants to reach his ceiling as a quarterback.

— Speaking of quarterbacks, Malik Hornsby had some of the same flaws he showed in the state title game. He needs to continue to improve mechanically and learn to progress through his reads. That’s not to take away from his talent — he has plenty of it. But he will need the right coaching at the next level. Hornsby has a cannon for an arm and can effortlessly get the ball down the field. In this setting, Hornsby wasn’t able to show off his ability to evade a rush and make plays happen with his legs. Look, he’s a dynamite player. But he needs more work than his ranking suggests.

— A quarterback to keep an eye on is 2021 Katy product Bronson McClelland. He earned the majority of reps over Hornsby in pivotal moments and made some clutch throws during the tournament. Nothing about McClelland’s game really wows you, but he’s solid in basically every area and throws a beautiful deep ball. He also reminds me of Sam Ehlinger in terms of his attitude and toughness. While he has no offers right now, he’s intriguing and is on the Texas radar.

— When it comes to evaluations, everyone should know that I’m a sucker for big receivers. And that’s what I love 2021 target Latrell Neville early on. But I still have some question marks after seeing him live for the first time. Neville isn’t a polished route runner and needs to work on his flexibility — he didn’t look comfortable getting in and out of breaks. He also had a couple of drops. Stay with me, though. Neville has the size, strength and athleticism to be absolutely dominant. The light just needs to come on. When he puts everything together, Neville can be a freak.

— One guy that really caught my attention this weekend was three-star West Mesquite running back Ty Jordan. With pads on, Jordan is used primarily as a straight bell cow. But that’s not his game. Jordan should move all over the field and spend more time in the slot. The dude can run the entire route tree like an FBS receiver and is extremely explosive. I’m not saying Jordan is a world-beater, but he can be a dynamic 10-12 touch guy at a place like Texas.

— How have I not mentioned Dwight McGlothern yet? He was the most impressive defensive target at this weekend’s tournament. McGlothern completely locked down his side of the field minus one or two catches allowed. The five-star prospect lived up to his billing as he bullied opposing wide receivers with his length and athleticism. McGlothern can cover any type of receiver and is versatile enough to move around in the secondary at the next level. McGlothern also brings that swagger needed at the corner position.

— No cornerback in the state in the 2020 cycle is more fundamentally sound than Jalen Kimber. The dude is a technician. He also has an extremely high football IQ and an understanding of the game beyond his years. It’s a big reason he never makes mistakes. But technique can only take you so far. Kimber still needs to add a lot of weight. He has the frame to do that, but right now, bigger wide outs just outmuscle him. Kimber also doesn’t have the natural athletic ability of a guy like McGlothern.

— Four-star safety Bryson Washington rotated in and out, so I didn’t get to see a ton of him. I really do like his closing speed. He comes downhill in a hurry and is an intimidating force on the back end. Washington kind of looks like a hybrid linebacker/safety, so he’s probably best suited for the Joker role at Texas if he ends up in Austin. Washington is still a very raw athlete and needs to work on his angles and overall ability in coverage.

— Texas extended an early offer to Carroll City (Fla.) athlete Jovan Ferguson, but it’s still up in the air whether the Longhorns will push for him. Ferguson reminds me a lot of Kelvontay Dixon. They can both play the slot or line up at defensive back and they have some juice to their game but aren’t necessarily dominant. I like Ferguson more as a slot receiver, where he can use his twitch to make plays. But he’s definitely a spring eval guy in my book.

— Texas recently extended an offer to 2021 Sandalwood (Fla.) inside linebacker Branden Jennings. To be honest, Jennings is the Texas target that I saw the least during the tournament. He has an impressive build and moves well for his size. The athleticism is certainly there, but 7v7 didn’t appear to be the best setting for him to really show why he’s ranked high so early.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington recently stopped by to see rising 2020 cornerback Ryan Watts, who has been picking up offers like crazy over the last two weeks. Watts is super intriguing on the hoof. His height, length and build immediately catches you attention. But he has a long way to go on the field. He is extremely raw when it comes to technique and just hasn’t figured out the position. But he’s definitely one to watch moving forward.

• Like 2

Just now, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Thoughts on Texas targets from Orlando Pylon 7v7

Reveal hidden contents

— Let’s go ahead and answer your popular Ja’Quinden Jackson question: What position will he play at the next level? Look, Jackson shouldn’t be pigeonholed to just one position right now. He has the potential to play multiple and will figure it out once he gets to the next level. I really like him as a rover, but he made some freaky plays while playing wide receiver at the tourney. Jackson isn’t a natural route runner or pass catcher, but his athleticism alone made him a force on the outside. Jackson threw just two passes during the tournament. I still think he can be a Cam Newton type under center, but he needs to dedicate himself to the position if he wants to reach his ceiling as a quarterback.

— Speaking of quarterbacks, Malik Hornsby had some of the same flaws he showed in the state title game. He needs to continue to improve mechanically and learn to progress through his reads. That’s not to take away from his talent — he has plenty of it. But he will need the right coaching at the next level. Hornsby has a cannon for an arm and can effortlessly get the ball down the field. In this setting, Hornsby wasn’t able to show off his ability to evade a rush and make plays happen with his legs. Look, he’s a dynamite player. But he needs more work than his ranking suggests.

— A quarterback to keep an eye on is 2021 Katy product Bronson McClelland. He earned the majority of reps over Hornsby in pivotal moments and made some clutch throws during the tournament. Nothing about McClelland’s game really wows you, but he’s solid in basically every area and throws a beautiful deep ball. He also reminds me of Sam Ehlinger in terms of his attitude and toughness. While he has no offers right now, he’s intriguing and is on the Texas radar.

— When it comes to evaluations, everyone should know that I’m a sucker for big receivers. And that’s what I love 2021 target Latrell Neville early on. But I still have some question marks after seeing him live for the first time. Neville isn’t a polished route runner and needs to work on his flexibility — he didn’t look comfortable getting in and out of breaks. He also had a couple of drops. Stay with me, though. Neville has the size, strength and athleticism to be absolutely dominant. The light just needs to come on. When he puts everything together, Neville can be a freak.

— One guy that really caught my attention this weekend was three-star West Mesquite running back Ty Jordan. With pads on, Jordan is used primarily as a straight bell cow. But that’s not his game. Jordan should move all over the field and spend more time in the slot. The dude can run the entire route tree like an FBS receiver and is extremely explosive. I’m not saying Jordan is a world-beater, but he can be a dynamic 10-12 touch guy at a place like Texas.

— How have I not mentioned Dwight McGlothern yet? He was the most impressive defensive target at this weekend’s tournament. McGlothern completely locked down his side of the field minus one or two catches allowed. The five-star prospect lived up to his billing as he bullied opposing wide receivers with his length and athleticism. McGlothern can cover any type of receiver and is versatile enough to move around in the secondary at the next level. McGlothern also brings that swagger needed at the corner position.

— No cornerback in the state in the 2020 cycle is more fundamentally sound than Jalen Kimber. The dude is a technician. He also has an extremely high football IQ and an understanding of the game beyond his years. It’s a big reason he never makes mistakes. But technique can only take you so far. Kimber still needs to add a lot of weight. He has the frame to do that, but right now, bigger wide outs just outmuscle him. Kimber also doesn’t have the natural athletic ability of a guy like McGlothern.

— Four-star safety Bryson Washington rotated in and out, so I didn’t get to see a ton of him. I really do like his closing speed. He comes downhill in a hurry and is an intimidating force on the back end. Washington kind of looks like a hybrid linebacker/safety, so he’s probably best suited for the Joker role at Texas if he ends up in Austin. Washington is still a very raw athlete and needs to work on his angles and overall ability in coverage.

— Texas extended an early offer to Carroll City (Fla.) athlete Jovan Ferguson, but it’s still up in the air whether the Longhorns will push for him. Ferguson reminds me a lot of Kelvontay Dixon. They can both play the slot or line up at defensive back and they have some juice to their game but aren’t necessarily dominant. I like Ferguson more as a slot receiver, where he can use his twitch to make plays. But he’s definitely a spring eval guy in my book.

— Texas recently extended an offer to 2021 Sandalwood (Fla.) inside linebacker Branden Jennings. To be honest, Jennings is the Texas target that I saw the least during the tournament. He has an impressive build and moves well for his size. The athleticism is certainly there, but 7v7 didn’t appear to be the best setting for him to really show why he’s ranked high so early.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington recently stopped by to see rising 2020 cornerback Ryan Watts, who has been picking up offers like crazy over the last two weeks. Watts is super intriguing on the hoof. His height, length and build immediately catches you attention. But he has a long way to go on the field. He is extremely raw when it comes to technique and just hasn’t figured out the position. But he’s definitely one to watch moving forward.

Doesn't look like anything in here is 2019 related.

• Like 2

Good to see lots of idiots still believe the bullshit that was floated about Simms while he was here.

Here's a fact for you guys, Major Applewhite told me to my face he would have started Simms over himself if he had been coaching. Of course that anecdote has now gained another layer of entertainment given Applewhite's coaching failures.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Simms sucked against OU, as did the rest of the offense every time we faced them during that era, and he choked against CU in the Big 12 Championship Game. But he was a hell of a QB at Texas, worked the aggies, was tough as hell, was huge in branding and recruiting, and didn’t deserve anything that happened to him from our fucking fan base. He also doesn’t deserve to be viewed as anything but a massive part of Texas being launched back into the forefront of the sport of college football. It fucking sucks that he won’t even speak publicly about his time at Texas. 

I only saw him play in person once. Against A&M. Beat their ass, it was fun.  Maybe it was his last game I can’t remember. 

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Good to see lots of idiots still believe the bullshit that was floated about Simms while he was here.

Here's a fact for you guys, Major Applewhite told me to my face he would have started Simms over himself if he had been coaching. Of course that anecdote has now gained another layer of entertainment given Applewhite's coaching failures.

Simms was fine.  He turned into an above average qb his last two years.  He never was great.  He was pretty good.  

David Ash with a far shittier supporting cast would have had a far superior career at Texas but for concussions. 

And Simms absolutely was better than Major post major’s knee injury.  

And agree with CTJ, Simms was tough as hell.  Loved that about him.  He was also loved by his teammates. Far more than Major was.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Simms sucked against OU, as did the rest of the offense every time we faced them during that era, and he choked against CU in the Big 12 Championship Game. But he was a hell of a QB at Texas, worked the aggies, was tough as hell, was huge in branding and recruiting, and didn’t deserve anything that happened to him from our fucking fan base. He also doesn’t deserve to be viewed as anything but a massive part of Texas being launched back into the forefront of the sport of college football. It fucking sucks that he won’t even speak publicly about his time at Texas. 

I blame the coaching staff more than I blame him for the OU debacles. The only game we came prepared to play was the Roy Williams Superman game

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

A few weeks ago on their TV show, Mike Florio asked Simms about his memories of Texas. Simms said two that came to mind were Major Applewhite and being called a yankee all of the time.  

Nothing about pick 6’s ...