Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I am not really seeing much left on the bone for the continuation of the 2019 recruiting class for us at this point.

Bru gave us one hell of a jolt, but I think the drive for 1000 is dead 

All that seems left is the inevitable drama of some type surrounding Shepherd to grind out a few pages and then we can pretty much put this class in the books.

Time to chill a bit till the summer and then roll to the 2020 thread.

There'll be grad transfers, but yeah it's not happening unless Trevor Lawrence decides his hair looks better against a darker orange.

Ye of little faith. Never underestimate Surly's desire to "hear" itself talk. The recruiting experts here can waste pages like no other.

Shepherd and fwk alone will be worth 50 pages around signing day.

We will get similar excitement as last year on grad transfer OLs.

Any sense which transfer would make the largest impact? Are we taking two?

Even with leaving 140+ pages behind on the shag, it will be done.

Edited by pacman

On Lakia Henry (from an Ole Miss site):

After 48 hours on the Ole Miss campus, the nation's No. 1 junior college inside linebacker says it's a tie at the top between the Rebels and the Arkansas Razorbacks with an official visit to the Texas Longhorns remaining.

That's according to Dodge City (Kansas) Community College standout Lakia Henry, as he departed the Ole Miss campus following his official visit on Sunday.

"It's tied. Honestly, man, it is," said Henry of Ole Miss and Arkansas."

And as for Texas where he still plans to take an official visit next weekend?

"I haven't been there. I haven't been to Austin," said Henry. "It's still on, but Ole Miss put themselves in this big time."

Henry, a native of Vidalia, Ga., is the nation's No. 3 junior college prospect in the 2019 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite index. He is also the country's top-rated inside linebacker from the JUCO ranks.

He says he is considering no other programs outside of Ole Miss, Arkansas and Texas and will execute his letter of intent on the Feb. 6, national signing day.

Henry was making his second visit to Ole Miss. He and his mother visited Oxford unofficially last spring, but he abruptly committed to Tennessee the very next day.

As for this weekend's trip?

"It was everything better than what I thought it would be. It is a really nice place. I really enjoyed myself here," said Henry.

Henry was accompanied once again by his mother, Sentorra Eason.

"Momma loves it. Momma loved Ole Miss even before this," he said.

Henry had an opportunity to sit down with Ole Miss defensive coaches over the weekend to discuss his future, if he chooses to be a Rebel.

"They told me that they want me to come in and play the jack position. That will be next to MoMo (Mohamed Sanogo). They really need help. I've seen all the linebackers that they have, so I could see for myself that they really need help. I can really come in and make a big difference right away, if I were to come here," related Henry.

Sanogo, a junior linebacker who was the Rebels' leading tackler last season, served as Henry's player host on the visit.

Did Ole Miss improve its standing with Henry?

"Definitely. Yes," he deadpanned.

Does playing in the SEC over the Big 12 matter to Henry?

"In a way. I feel like the SEC is a big stage, but the Big 12 is a pretty good conference, too," he said.

Which coaching staffs does Henry expect to see in Dodge City this week?

"As far as I know, Ole Miss. The whole defensive coaching staff. That's all who have told me, so far. But I'm not taking any more visits (other than Texas), and I'm signing on signing day, too."

Henry is expecting Ole Miss coaches on Wednesday.

"They'll be there Wednesday morning after my 10:30 class," he shared.

Ole Miss head coach Matt Luke has already conducted his in-home with Henry and his mother.

"It's the toughest decision I'm going to make in my life. I just have to trust God and I have to pray about it. Just whatever place feels like home," said Henry.

What is the one though he leaves Oxford with about the Ole Miss football program?

"It's a family environment and they're going to love on their players. They are celebrities here...the players are. It's a really nice place," Henry said.

• Like 1

At this point, I'll be happy with generic OL transfers, trusting that whichever one gets coached by Hand will end up being the better option. If we don't hit 1,000, I will consider it a good thing, because that will mean that Shepherd's eventual flip will have been done with a minimum of fuss, and that the Simms/Major/Mackovic/Rooster Andrews/Guy Fawkes flashbacks will have more or less bitten the dust.

Really, the only 2019 story I'm still kind of mildly curious about is all the speculation from roughly a month ago that Shepherd was a qualification risk -- was that just some blowhard with sour grapes, or was that a real question?

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Really, the only 2019 story I'm still kind of mildly curious about is all the speculation from roughly a month ago that Shepherd was a qualification risk -- was that just some blowhard with sour grapes, or was that a real question?

My info isn't current, but a few months ago I'd heard that both Shepherd and Demas were qualification risks. I think it was about the same time Shepherd was kicked off his team and Demas was rumored to be looking around at transferring. So I don't know enough to handicap his odds of qualifying, although him taking visits every weekend in January and early February isn't going to help him qualify. 

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

After 48 hours on the Ole Miss campus, the nation's No. 1 junior college inside linebacker says it's a tie at the top between the Rebels and the Arkansas Razorbacks with an official visit to the Texas Longhorns remaining.

That's according to Dodge City (Kansas) Community College standout Lakia Henry, as he departed the Ole Miss campus following his official visit on Sunday.

"I haven't been there. I haven't been to Austin," said Henry. "It's still on, but Ole Miss put themselves in this big time."

Henry, a native of Vidalia, Ga., is the nation's No. 3 junior college prospect in the 2019 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite index. He is also the country's top-rated inside linebacker from the JUCO ranks.

He says he is considering no other programs outside of Ole Miss, Arkansas and Texas and will execute his letter of intent on the Feb. 6, national signing day.

Henry was making his second visit to Ole Miss. He and his mother visited Oxford unofficially last spring, but he abruptly committed to Tennessee the very next day.

"It was everything better than what I thought it would be. It is a really nice place. I really enjoyed myself here," said Henry.

Henry had an opportunity to sit down with Ole Miss defensive coaches over the weekend to discuss his future, if he chooses to be a Rebel.

"They told me that they want me to come in and play the jack position. That will be next to MoMo (Mohamed Sanogo). They really need help. I've seen all the linebackers that they have, so I could see for myself that they really need help. I can really come in and make a big difference right away, if I were to come here," related Henry.

Sanogo, a junior linebacker who was the Rebels' leading tackler last season, served as Henry's player host on the visit.

"In a way. I feel like the SEC is a big stage, but the Big 12 is a pretty good conference, too," he said.

"As far as I know, Ole Miss. The whole defensive coaching staff. That's all who have told me, so far. But I'm not taking any more visits (other than Texas), and I'm signing on signing day, too."

Ole Miss head coach Matt Luke has already conducted his in-home with Henry and his mother.

"It's the toughest decision I'm going to make in my life. I just have to trust God and I have to pray about it. Just whatever place feels like home," said Henry.

What is the one though he leaves Oxford with about the Ole Miss football program?

"It's a family environment and they're going to love on their players. They are celebrities here...the players are. It's a really nice place," Henry said.

I believe CTJ said we were gonna win this recruitment although I could have that mixed up

1 minute ago, Leanderman said:

Just once, once I would like to see a report that a recruit had a terrible time on a visit.

Who was the TCU DE commit from a few years back who did a "secret visit" during Charlie's time.  Isaiah something, I think (maybe Chambers)?  Anyway, reports from that visit were extremely negative.

Similar reports when Kary Vincent and K'Lavon Chaisson visited together, too.

It doesn't sound like they got the answer they wanted to this question at all.

Thank you Tom Herman and Dabo Swinney.

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Who was the TCU DE commit from a few years back who did a "secret visit" during Charlie's time.  Isaiah something, I think (maybe Chambers)?  Anyway, reports from that visit were extremely negative.

There was a another DL a few years back who "decommitted" after he spent part of the visit at a strip club.

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

“I've seen all the linebackers that they have, so I could see for myself that they really need help.”

Good way to endear yourself to the LB room you may join.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

Penn St tried to recruit some fifth graders a few years back.  By the reports that I read, they had a terrible time 

JoePa thought they had a great time, the time of their lives in fact.

Crazy how docile early signing period has made late January here.

Edited by pacman

19 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

It doesn't sound like they got the answer they wanted to this question at all.

Thank you Tom Herman and Dabo Swinney.

I LOLed. It's a big stage if you are Bama, Georgia, Florida, and LSU or if you are playing one of them. Otherwise, especially if you are Arky or Ole Racist, it's G5 and FCS games on SECN (if even there) and most other games on ESPNU.

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There was a another DL a few years back who "decommitted" after he spent part of the visit at a strip club.

Yeah. I thought he ended up at Baylor, but I can't see a name that's screaming at me from their commit list. I get what your quotations are saying, but I to be clear I don't think this qualifies as a "bad time" on a visit. Dude's family drug his ass to the Rose or Palazzo or whatever it is called now, and he got hammerpants and was informed his scholarship offer was no longer available. 

Louis Brown, ended up at Okie Lite, then ended up at Junior College. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Pretty sure the story was that kid went rogue on his OV and spent the evening with his uncle at the strip club.  Then was "invited" by Charlie to decommit the next day.

Also pretty sure he didn't ever actually qualify.

14 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Pretty sure the story was that kid went rogue on his OV and spent the evening with his uncle at the strip club.  Then was "invited" by Charlie to decommit the next day.

Also pretty sure he didn't ever actually qualify.

According to 247, he spent his redshirt year at Okie St. before transferring to JuCo, so probably did qualify.

I think our linebacker group will be fine with or without Henry.

I’d like to see us hold onto Shepherd as a long term development project and sign Proctor to take over one of the open OG positions. Realistically both are 50/50 propositions.

Even if we don’t sign another player at all I like how our roster looks. Clearly 2 OL in a class would not be ideal but having redshirted all the OL from last year really helps.

Edited by Auto Driller

53 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I believe CTJ said we were gonna win this recruitment although I could have that mixed up

Texas maneuvered for the last visit, which Ole Miss fought, but Henry chose to set it up the way Texas pushed. We’ll see how well they close him, but they’ve got a plan and he’s likely to be the only visitor. He’ll have their full attention. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I’d like to see us hold onto Shepherd as a long term development project and sign Proctor to take over one of the open OG positions. Realistically both are 50/50 propositions.

Even if we don’t sign another player at all I like how our roster looks. Clearly 2 OL in a class would not be ideal but having redshirted all the OL from last year really helps.

There are also a few JUCOs we are looking at for OL.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas maneuvered for the last visit, which Ole Miss fought, but Henry chose to set it up the way Texas pushed. We’ll see how well they close him, but they’ve got a plan and he’s likely to be the only visitor. He’ll have their full attention. 

So you are under the impression Shepherd visit is a no go?

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Sorry I went so deep in her.

Oh and to keep it recruiting... I don't think Shepherd visits.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
Didn't want banhammer

So, the plan is to roll with the current RB’s and hope that a) Ingram doesn’t get banged up or b) that either Whittington or Brown are as good as advertised? Young has been unimpressive and Johnson is a non-factor, so I’m shocked they’re not adding depth at that position. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

So, the plan is to roll with the current RB’s and hope that a) Ingram doesn’t get banged up or b) that either Whittington or Brown are as good as advertised? Young has been unimpressive and Johnson is a non-factor, so I’m shocked they’re not adding depth at that position.  

We'll be looking at grad transfers too.

Just now, Chrispy said:

I'm not saying it's a guarantee that we'll find someone else (or that we're even looking), but remember that Tre Watson didn't commit until April.

20 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I see people keep saying they want Shepherd as a long term project, but does anyone actually see Shepherd staying for more then a year in our program especially if he doesn’t see the field? He seems like the type of kid to trash talk his own program to recruits if he’s not getting playing time 

8 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

So you are under the impression Shepherd visit is a no go?

I think the dude is a flake who is going to play the next 10 days for all of the drama he can muster. If that means he shows up at Texas and they allow him to OV, he’ll do it. So I’m just going with what I think is the baseline, which is that Texas isn’t going to pay FWK to get his busty ass on campus, and therefore the visit is called off because of ride issues or some shit around Thursday. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I think the dude is a flake who is going to play the next 10 days for all of the drama he can muster. If that means he shows up at Texas and they allow him to OV, he’ll do it. So I’m just going with what I think is the baseline, which is that Texas isn’t going to pay FWK to get his busty ass on campus, and therefore the visit is called off because of ride issues or some shit around Thursday. 

I kind of figured that, with Demas going to aggy next weekend, and there being "rumors" that aggy will get multiple commits, Shepherd will be making a "surprise" trip there before flipping to them during that trip.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We'll be looking at grad transfers too.

Gotcha, I just follow recruiting much more than I should and haven’t any names at all on the grad transfer front. But like Machinator said, maybe this is a discussion that’s more appropriate later in the spring. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Transportation is paid for to and from an official visit no? Seems like fwk would have to find a more legit sounding reason to have Javonne pass on to coaches.

17 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

I kind hope we are not the only school to wash our hands of all the drama with FWK. Once top notch programs start to wise up to his antics, kids will drop him like a hot tater.

Wise up?  It's not like he's putting one over on anybody

46 minutes ago, Scholz said:

44 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Several pages back.

Reading all those pages would have given you a ruptured ovarian cyst.

shutterstock_90593290.jpg?format=1500w

• Haha 1