Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I mean... a year ago, Malik Jefferson was the Big XII defensive player of the year, so there's quite a bit of cherry-picking going on here by Scipio.
In 2016, the best LB in the Big XII was Elijah Lee, who was a three-star recruit, but a linebacker all the way. 
Next year, Kenneth Murray will probably be in the running, too.  Again, he was a high three-star, but no one ever questioned that he was a LB all the way.

I would postulate that Malik was an outlier to the trend.

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I mean... a year ago, Malik Jefferson was the Big XII defensive player of the year, so there's quite a bit of cherry-picking going on here by Scipio.

In 2016, the best LB in the Big XII was Elijah Lee, who was a three-star recruit, but a linebacker all the way. 

Next year, Kenneth Murray will probably be in the running, too.  Again, he was a high three-star, but no one ever questioned that he was a LB all the way.

The vast majority of LB recruits being signed by Big 12 teams are 3-stars. So of course 3-stars are going to be over-represented in the All-Big 12 lists at LB, because at the end of the day they have to pick somebody

The more important question is re: size. How many larger LBs are being signed, and how are they performing relative to their numbers?

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

i was thinking about malik as well.  maybe my memory is specific and selective too, but it seems like when we've gotten high end bluechip lbs, they have been solid to very good, but maybe haven't progressed while on the 40.  hicks certainly had flashes, but he's an nfl star now and didn't seem to take over games in college.  even way back to aaron harris - who i was so excited to get - seemed to stay steady and solid but never turned into a superstar.  i was sure he'd be a monster, but seemed to already be developed physically and within his game.

Derek Johnson and his Butkus and Nagurski disagree... although I get what you mean. The proportion of those that turn into all conference level players seems low.

9 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

That was during a completely different era of college football.

Era doesn't really impact when highly rated players pan out or not. He was talking about highly rated linebackers' performance and claimed we didn't have any go beyond very good. I think we can all agree that he exceeded that. 

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The ratings services are also starting to put more weight on multi-sport athletes, too.

In the 90's, in what is now 6A, we were being told that specialization was the key and getting a lot of pressure to narrow our focus down to one sport. I pretty much thought my football coaches were mouthbreathing idiots and ignored them, in part to irritate them, in part because back then, if you can believe it, I was a bit of a prima donna, and played all 3 major sports and was better for it. Other guys followed suit and then it became a norm. We were ahead of our time.

My unimaginative HC at the time, btw, ended up a few years later coaching (OC) at Texas Lutheran in Seguin. He mentored an aggressive young guy on that staff and ultimately introduced him to his friend, Greg Davis, then the UT OC. My former HC ended up convincing Davis to give his young assistant a shot as a GA at Texas. That's how Tom Herman got his start in CFB. One shitty offensive mind preaching about him to another. You're welcome, Surly. 

There's nothing going on in this thread, so fuck it, you're welcome for the CSB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I also expect that the Big XII will revert more closely to the traditional college football "mean" in terms of defensive/offensive schemes.  With both Kliff and Holgo gone, KU and KSU both going with way more traditional offensive-styles, and oSu continuing to move toward a more traditional power/spread attack, there's going to be a LOT less air raid offense in the Big XII over the next 3-5 years.

Because of that, there are still going to be places on rosters (and needs) for guys like Wheeler and Dele.

Yep. I wonder what Neal Brown will do at West Virginia, he had a pretty even run/pass balance at Troy.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. I wonder what Neal Brown will do at West Virginia, he had a pretty even run/pass balance at Troy.

He has an extremely fast tempo (I think he calls his offense something stupid like a NASCAR offense).  But he's very traditional in his concepts and schemes.  Much moreso than the Air Raid guys.  Basically he'll be like an cracked out uptempo version of Iowa State's offense under Campbell.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

He has an extremely fast tempo (I think he calls his offense something stupid like a NASCAR offense).  But he's very traditional in his concepts and schemes.  Much moreso than the Air Raid guys.  Basically he'll be like an cracked out uptempo version of Iowa State's offense under Campbell.

That is an interesting take considering he averaged around 68.6 plays a game in his 4 years at Troy, which put him around 7th in the league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

That is an interesting take considering he averaged around 68.6 plays a game in his 4 years at Troy, which put him around 7th in the league.

It's not my take:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2018/1/8/16866842/arizona-football-head-coaching-candidates-neal-brown-troy-interviews-salary-rodriguez-wildcats

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

In the 90's, in what is now 6A, we were being told that specialization was the key and getting a lot of pressure to narrow our focus down to one sport. I pretty much thought my football coaches were mouthbreathing idiots and ignored them, in part to irritate them, in part because back then, if you can believe it, I was a bit of a prima donna, and played all 3 major sports and was better for it. Other guys followed suit and then it became a norm. We were ahead of our time.

My unimaginative HC at the time, btw, ended up a few years later coaching (OC) at Texas Lutheran in Seguin. He mentored an aggressive young guy on that staff and ultimately introduced him to his friend, Greg Davis, then the UT OC. My former HC ended up convincing Davis to give his young assistant a shot as a GA at Texas. That's how Tom Herman got his start in CFB. One shitty offensive mind preaching about him to another. You're welcome, Surly. 

There's nothing going on in this thread, so fuck it, you're welcome for the CSB.

You were not ahead of your time, you just caught up to my time.

In the late 70's, in now what is now 5A, we all played multiple sports. I played football, basketball, and ran track... well, field and fatman relay anyway.

I get what you are saying though, When my daughter was playing in the Y league in 4th grade, an AAU coach asked her to come play on a touring team. We tried it for a few years, but the requirement to only play bball year round was too much and burned her (and us) out early. They didn't even want the kids to play for their Jr. high schools. She quit AAU, but continued to play at school and at times also did volleyball, tennis, and water polo (that's a fun sport and if you have a daughter who can swim, throw a ball, and likes to beat other kids up get them in the pool). It does seem like that pressure is relaxing a bit based on the parents I talk to with kids doing sports outside of school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

You were not ahead of your time, you just caught up to my time.

In the late 70's, in now what is now 5A, we all played multiple sports. I played football, basketball, and ran track... well, field and fatman relay anyway.

I get what you are saying though, When my daughter was playing in the Y league in 4th grade, an AAU coach asked her to come play on a touring team. We tried it for a few years, but the requirement to only play bball year round was too much and burned her (and us) out early. They didn't even want the kids to play for their Jr. high schools. She quit AAU, but continued to play at school and at times also did volleyball, tennis, and water polo (that's a fun sport and if you have a daughter who can swim, throw a ball, and likes to beat other kids up get them in the pool). It does seem like that pressure is relaxing a bit based on the parents I talk to with kids doing sports outside of school.

We were actually required tour track in middle school, in HS it was "optional"

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

They didn't even want the kids to play for their Jr. high schools. She quit AAU, but continued to play at school and at times also did volleyball, tennis, and water polo (that's a fun sport and if you have a daughter who can swim, throw a ball, and likes to beat other kids up get them in the pool). It does seem like that pressure is relaxing a bit based on the parents I talk to with kids doing sports outside of school.

giphy.gif