Texas recruiting notes 2019

7 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

Keeping warehime (considering the cards he was dealt last season) maintains more offensive consistency that Herman has stated he wants. Shifting coaches doesn’t result in entirely new faces who aren’t familiar with the offense or the players. The answer to a poorly performing unit isn’t always to fire the coach. 

FWIW, Eric Nahlin wrote the following last November. 

Herman has to replace Tim Beck and Derek Warehime. I'm more sympathetic to Warehime because of the injuries but I think any new offensive coordinator should be able to hire his own o-line coach. Going back a few weeks, it was known in donor circles that matter (not the ones trying to make Mack Brown AD) that Herman messed up with the Beck hire and it would be fixed. This dovetails with some of the stuff we've suspected in the coaching booth vis-a-vis job sharing.
As for Tim Beck, the realist is in line with the pessimist in assessing clearly the offense was worse than it should have been, even given the circumstances. 12 weeks in and no identity is realistically ****. Two losses are particularly hard to comprehend. Between hard-fought games versus USC, OU, Ok. St., and even TCU, you can't get Eiffel Tower'd by crab cakes and crabs to begin and end the season. This is where the realistic questions regarding this staff truly lie. How much did you improve? Not the players, you? Which coaches improved? Which ones didn't? Which ones recruited well? Which ones didn't?
A disappointing 6-6 season leaves many more questions for us all. How many players will the staff lose? Who are they and why is each one leaving and what does it say about the current state of affairs? How do you improve the staff? Adding one coach on January 10th won't be good enough. How will the staff improve from a program management standpoint? How does a staff with so many playing hard have so many who want to leave? How, specifically, will you be better in 2018 if you already accomplished the most important aspect of the turnaround (culture)?

Edited by satyanash

As far as Herman goes, who knows for sure if he will win at Texas.  I'm certainly not convinced Beck is a top tier OC but I think Herman made it clear at the end of 2017 that it's not fair to judge him, after one year, when the offensive line was lacking talent, had major injuries, and had a shitty offensive line coach.  Oh, and two two quarterbacks with limited or no experience.  Herman replaced the shityy coach and brought in more talent.  As far as Beck, he is s great recruiter and Herman is giving him one more opportunity to prove he can be the play caller.  I have little double the leash is extremely short and if things start to go south in the early part of 2018 Herman will take over play calling.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Typical HS Kid. His first step is up. Needs to lower those pads.

you got any of your old high school tape floating around on youtube?  would love to see what it looks like to fire out of that three-point stance with a flat back.  

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

you got any of your old high school tape floating around on youtube?  would love to see what it looks like to fire out of that three-point stance with a flat back.  

Your mom was flat on her back with me last night.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ctj has put a lot of eggs in the narcissist basket. While some of us can still hope for, or even expect growth and change, he can’t  hope for anything other than being wrong in his diagnosis. 

I can hope I’m wrong, sure, and I do. That said, I’ve been around enough narcissists to know one when I see one. The better hope is that a superior forces changes upon the narcissist or the narcissist comes up with rationalizations on his own as to why his guys need to go without it being his fault. All is not lost yet. 

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s struggling with an Austin and UT graduate program vs Lubbock and tech graduate program decision?  

No, it's pretty obvious he's coming here and the staff asked him to wait a day so his news comes with other commitments that will break this weekend.  You release info on Friday night when you want to bury something, so this is just a PR delay.

• Like 1

Tre only has one year left, right? I believe he wants to go where he feels most likely to be the featured back. If education was at the top of his list I’m thinking LSU probably wouldn’t have even received a visit. 

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised for him to choose Tech. That being said, he’s a story I haven’t followed very closely, since I’m so accustomed to Texas not getting grad transfers.

24 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I wonder how hard OU is recruiting Major or if they have guys higher on their board.  I actually like him more than anyone in Texas or at IMG this cycle.  

More now that they lost spiller

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Tre only has one year left, right? I believe he wants to go where he feels most likely to be the featured back. If education was at the top of his list I’m thinking LSU probably wouldn’t have even received a visit. 

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised for him to choose Tech. That being said, he’s a story I haven’t followed very closely, since I’m so accustomed to Texas not getting grad transfers.

Typically grad transfers have 1 yr so yah 

8 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

TEXAGS IS REPORTING Leal will visit Texas & Bama

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

This is the risk you take by getting a kid to use his 1st OV nine months away from signing day and won't let him leave his visit without a commit.  It works with some recruits ( Williams) and doesn't with others ( Leal ).

9 hours ago, RabidM said:

I wonder how hard OU is recruiting Major or if they have guys higher on their board.  I actually like him more than anyone in Texas or at IMG this cycle.  

Keep in mind Major plays 2A ball in fucking Oklahoma while IMG plays against the toughest competition in the country 

We're not getting him, but Trey Sanders is a stud 

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Take this FWIW, but I've seen on a couple of other boards that Leal is in Austin.  Some posts saying they saw it on his snapchat.

How could you consider visiting Austin when "The Station" is so "lit"?