Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Stingley put out his top 3. Us, Florida and LSU as expected

We just need to keep running second and then bank on a complete implosion by LSU. Ideally, it would be one in which things get extremely ugly, but the LSU administration is forced to keep Ogre anyways due to $$$ issues. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

We just need to keep running second and then bank on a complete implosion by LSU. Ideally, it would be one in which things get extremely ugly, but the LSU administration is forced to keep Ogre anyways due to $$$ issues. 

Diskiodo

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

The inevitable LSU implosion is gonna be a feeding Frenzy 

I'd like to believe the Gata will have a good year this year, but I think we are hot garbage at QB...again like always...  not gonna impress many 'criuts.   Which might mean the longer this goes, the better shape the Horns will be in....  who knows

Edited by Loco

1 hour ago, angelos's frog said:

I know a little bit about this kid and his family.  He went to St. Andrews (Catholic) for elementary school, spent a year or two at Trinity Valley (secular private) and then went to Nolan (Catholic).  St. Andrews and Nolan are ok but not really top notch academic schools.  Even FWISD offers better options academically than Nolan and St. Andrews.  Trinity Valley is very good academically but not so great in football and it ain't Catholic either.  What that tells me about the family is that given the option, they're going to gravitate towards the Catholic school over the secular school especially since Notre Dame checks all the academic boxes as well.

Have these people seen Spotlight?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I feel dirty after realizing who posted this tweet.

What exactly does he "coach" anyways?

Alex Okafor just bought a condo in my building. He is a large man. I have also met Bryce Cottrell a few times; he started a vodka company with a mutual friend. Todd Reesing lives there, too. He is a small man.

24 minutes ago, Loco said:

I'd like to believe the Gata will have a good year this year, but I think we are hot garbage at QB...again like always...  not gonna impress many 'criuts.   Which might mean the longer this goes, the better shape the Horns will be in....  who knows

Thank you, we'll take it. Only problem is that first sentence can be said by most of us here, until our QB's prove otherwise. 

51 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Would not have guessed 3 or 4 months ago that we'd end up having a better shot at Stingley than Steele.

Steele popped in on E.J.s  last periscope , E.J. called him on not visiting. Steele said he had confirmed a visit with Jason Washington for the summer. take that for what its worth. 

Also Higgans has been on a lot of periscopes in the past. but he stopped getting on around the time the Garret commitment stuff was going on. But was also on the last Periscope.  Is that good? IDK. but  I think its encouraging. 

22 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Steele popped in on E.J.s  last periscope , E.J. called him on not visiting. Steele said he had confirmed a visit with Jason Washington for the summer. take that for what its worth. 

Also Higgans has been on a lot of periscopes in the past. but he stopped getting on around the time the Garret commitment stuff was going on. But was also on the last Periscope.  Is that good? IDK. but  I think its encouraging. 

Yea Steele is visiting July 7th 

Bevo Nuggets: Scoop from recruiting weekend

— Something that Texas really made a point of this weekend was selling 'family' on campus. This was the last weekend players were going to be around as they have finals, so it was the best weekend to have several top targets on the Forty Acres. Guys like Caden Sterns, Josh Thompson, Tope Imade and others all played crucial roles this weekend and really bonded with the recruits. The coaches all made sure to show off their personalities as well. And of course, head coach Tom Herman welcomed everybody to his home with open arms. As Imade put it on Twitter, this weekend felt more like a family weekend than an official visit. (Holland)

— Texas hit a grand slam with Texas A&M defensive line commit DeMarvin Leal. The process of scheduling his official visit actually started on Tuesday but wasn’t finalized until Friday. Leal got an in-depth look at the program and spent some quality time with the players. While he lives nearby, a focal pitch for Texas was the city of Austin. Leal had a blast spending time at the lake with Oscar Giles and some of the team’s defensive linemen as well as at the JMBLYA music festival, where he saw some of the biggest names in hip-hop. This visit couldn’t have gone any better for Leal as Texas looks to win him over from its heated recruiting rival. (Holland)

— The aforementioned Sterns was heavily involved in Leal’s visit this weekend. Remember, Sterns committed to an SEC school (LSU) before flipping to Texas last cycle. Sterns played against Leal throughout his high school career, and they are both from the same area. It is also important to note that Leal’s family and Sterns’ family know each other. We are told that Leal’s mother loves Sterns. (Holland)

— So can the Longhorns flip Leal? I’m not sure it will happen today or tomorrow or next week. But Texas is going to continue to be a threat in this recruitment. Leal is still one of the Longhorns’ top overall targets, and it’s obvious he still has really high interest in the program. Depending on how things play out this offseason and in the fall, I could definitely see the Longhorns flipping him down the line. Jason Washington, last year’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, has gotten more involved in this recruitment over the last couple of weeks. With Washington involved, my confidence level is growing. I've been told to expect this one to be an active battle until he signs. (Holland)

— His father and mother accompanied Leal on this official visit. His mother is a big factor in this recruitment, and I still have reason to believe she prefers the Longhorns. That alone will keep Texas in this race until he signs his letter of intent. Texas did a great job on selling the program and life after football. Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington has a strong bond with Leal’s mother, which is obviously helping the Longhorns in this race. Texas is going to keep chipping away with her. Leal’s father hasn’t been talked about much in his recruitment, but I’m told he loved it at Texas and is very high on the Longhorns. Again, the parents are sold. It’s about getting Leal himself on board. (Holland)

— Five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson and four-star defensive lineman NaNa Osafo-Mensah were hosted by Derek Kerstetter and Denzel Okafor, respectively. The group went to a movie on Friday night along with Tope Imade. We are told that Johnson loved his experience and really formed a bond with the Texas players he was with. The city of Austin pitch had a major impact on Johnson, and relationships with players is a factor in his decision. The read on Osafo-Mensah was a bit more difficult. Texas focused on selling Osafo-Mensah on academic opportunity along with the city of Austin. (Roach)

— So is Texas close to landing a commitment from Johnson? Look guys, Johnson is a smart kid, and he wants to enjoy the process. That’s not really a cause for concern at this time. Johnson loves Texas as evidenced by all the visits he’s made. As mentioned, he loves the city of Austin, but he also buys into the future under Herman, and his relationship with new offensive line coach Herb Hand is only strengthening. Getting to go through the position meeting and seeing how he would fit in and how Hand works with his players was big for Johnson. On top of that, his family really likes Texas and the staff. It’s safe to say the Longhorns still have the lead in this recruitment. (Holland)

— As Mike mentioned, Osafo-Mensah is a tough one. From talking to sources, the visit went well, and he really enjoyed his time with the players and the staff. So did Texas do enough to move past Notre Dame? Well, Texas entered the weekend needing to hit a homerun, and I’m not sure they knocked it out of the park. The general consensus from sources was ‘I don’t know.’ On top of that, I’m told Osafo-Mensah’s parents prefer Notre Dame. They love the academics and the catholic environment — Osafo-Mensah currently attends a catholic high school. Texas is going to continue to push for Osafo-Mensah over the next two weeks, but I would give Notre Dame the advantage as of right now hence the Crystal Ball change. I'm told Notre Dame is feeling confident even after this visit. (Holland)

— We haven’t talked a ton about Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, but this recruitment is really starting to heat up. Liebrock loved his time in Austin, and Texas is a legitimate player in this recruitment. This was Liebrock’s second time on campus, and his family is really high on the Longhorns as well. I’ve been told that Arizona State is probably UT’s biggest threat. He made an official visit there last weekend and has family ties to the program. And of course, he's from Arizona. Liebrock is still considering other schools like Nebraska and Ohio State, but I like UT’s chances here. This could be a sneaky land for the Longhorns. I am told he plans to make his decision this month. And yes, I am close to putting in my Crystal Ball. (Holland)

—The Longhorns did as well as they could with five-star cornerback Derek Stingley. Josh Thompson hosted Stingley, and we are told the two bonded quickly. A key Louisiana source said that Stingley feels comfortable with the Texas coaching staff and the academic situation at Texas. Both are key as Stingley is an excellent student. We were also told that Stingley had a fantastic time at the JMBLYA festival, and left town speaking very highly of Texas. (Roach)

—So where do the Longhorns stand now that Stingley made the trip? He plans to announce a Top 3 soon, and the Longhorns should be in it along with Florida and LSU. We are told that LSU still holds the lead in this recruitment, but the feeling now is that Texas is closing the gap on Florida for second place. If something goes awry with LSU, the Longhorns would be in a good position to steal him late. He will most likely take his LSU official during the fall, so the hometown Tigers will have the advantage. Texas will need to keep working on him, sell him on academics and try to get him back on campus for several unofficial visits. (Roach)

—Texas also scored highly with Baton Rouge (La.) University High athlete Makiya Tongue. Tongue got into town a bit late, but he was still able to make the most of his visit. Tongue was hosted by Texas wide receiver Jordan Pouncey, and the Longhorns pitched him on the ability to play receiver. He spent a lot of time with Drew Mehringer and the wide receiver group. Georgia is still a factor in this recruitment, but we were told that Texas has established a lead. EJ and I already have crystal ball picks in for Texas, and we have no reason to worry at this point. (Roach)

— This was the perfect weekend for Texas to hold a huge official visit weekend. And it didn’t come by coincidence. Texas knew about the JMBLYA music festival, and players and recruits obviously soaked in the event The Circuit of the Americas. Recruits couldn’t stop talking about the experience. Their eyes were opened by what the city of Austin has to offer away from campus. Kudos to Tom Herman and his staff for once again finding ways to be creative. (Holland)

— Bryce Young, the nation’s top 2020 dual-threat quarterback, did make his to Texas for an unofficial visit. Young also visited Oklahoma this weekend, and both schools are players in his recruitment ahead of his summer decision. Elite 2020 cornerback Dwight McGlothern did not make it in for his scheduled visit. (Holland)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

my family landed in america at the port of charleston, sc in the 1680's as part of the huguenot migration so this hits close to home.. /csb

Your mom's mom's mom's mom's mom got hit close to home that night.

• Like 2

E.J. Holland: Four-star ATH Makiya Tongue recaps Texas official visit

Texas hosted a number of key targets for official visits this weekend. Among those in attendance was four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue, who enjoyed his time on the Forty Acres. “The visit was great,” Tongue said. “Some of my favorite parts were going to the concert with all the players and hanging out at Coach (Tom) Herman’s house. Those were the best parts.” Tongue got to spend extended time with Texas head coach Tom Herman and his staff and was impressed with the way they treat everyone like family. “My conversations with Coach Herman and the staff went well,” Tongue said. “What stood out was how they took care of me and my family. They really showed us that they want me at Texas.”

One of the most versatile athletes in the country, Tongue has the potential to play various positions at the next level. However, his preference is to play wide receiver, and that’s where Texas has been recruiting him. Tongue spent all weekend with Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer and the position group, including his host, Jordan Pouncey. “They like me as an X receiver because of my big body and ability to catch,” Tongue said. “With Coach Drew’s help, I think I could become a great wide receiver there.”

Texas is perceived as the favorite for Tongue, but Georgia remains a big threat, and he is also considering schools like Auburn, Clemson and Tennessee.  So where exactly do the Longhorns stand after the visit? “Texas is definitely in my top five,” Tongue said. “Everything stands out to me, especially the people.” Tongue plans to release a top schools list in the near future. He hopes to make a decision at some point before the start of his senior season. At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, Tongue is ranked as the No. 17 athlete in the country and No. 11 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana, per 247Sports Composite.

E.J. Holland: UT commit Roschon Johnson on relationships, system fit, more

Four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson gave Texas verbal commitment last summer. Johnson talked about his decision, relationship with the staff, the future of the program and more in this Q&A with Horns247’s EJ Holland.

EJ: How has the offseason gone for you so far?

RJ: It’s been great. We had a great offseason. We were looking to make some big gains. I gained some weight and got faster. We just kicked off spring ball, so we’re getting back into the groove of things. It’s been pretty good.

EJ: Your recruitment is basically over. You made a really early commitment to Texas. What went into that decision?

RJ: For me, it was the people at the university — Coach (Tom) Herman and Coach (Tim) Beck. The fit of the offense and the style fit me. I felt really comfortable in it.

EJ: How much have you tried to step up as the leader of the class?

RJ: I stay in contact with kids, but I don’t like to push them or be on them too much. It’s really their decision on where they want to go. But I make sure I’m one of the first to text the kids we’re after and stay in contact with them.

EJ: Which recruits have you been working on the most?

RJ: I’ve been in contact with a few of the offensive linemen in the Houston-area like Javonne Shepherd and Tyler Johnson. I’ve talked to Branson Bragg. I’ve talked to a couple of wide receivers like Jake Smith. I stay in contact with them, but I don’t really push them.

EJ: You got a chance to recently go to the Texas spring game. What were some of your takeaways from watching the offense?

RJ: I felt like it was pretty good. I liked the way they distributed the ball down the field. They threw it around and had some good plays. They had some drops, and it was stagnant at first. But for the most part, I felt like it was pretty good.

EJ: You run a pretty similar offense here at Port Neches-Groves and mentioned it was a big part of your decision. How do you see yourself fitting in the system at UT?

RJ: I see myself fitting in really well. With the dual-threat quarterbacks that Coach Herman has been successful with, I feel like he can really utilize me in that offense and help me make something happen.

EJ: Have you watched any of the quarterbacks Tom Herman has coached in the past?

RJ: Yeah, I have. I’ve watched JT Barrett and Greg Ward — even the quarterbacks that Coach Beck has been with like Tommy Armstrong at Nebraska. Seeing the production that those guys have had made a big impact on my decision.

EJ: Have you talked to Sam Ehlinger or Shane Buechele and picked their brains about the offense?

RJ: Mainly, I’ve talked to Sam about a few things. I’ve also talked to the freshmen — Cam (Rising) and Casey (Thompson). I’ve asked them about their process going into college. They basically tell me that your head is going swim a little bit but once you get a hang of the terminology and the scheme, you’ll be good.

EJ: What’s your relationship like with Tim Beck?

RJ: We have a great relationship. We text each other everyday. I always see how he’s doing. He checks on me and talks about ordinary things. It’s not always about football with him.

EJ: What about Tom Herman?

RJ: He’s just an open guy. He doesn’t sugarcoat a whole lot of things. He keeps it honest. He’s not too serious all the time. You can be relaxed around him. He’s not one of those coaches that you have to act a certain way around. You can be yourself around him. He’s a fun and cool guy to be around.

EJ: The staff is really pitching the city of Austin this cycle. It’s obviously way different than Port Neches. What do you like about the city?

RJ: It is a lot different. Out here, you don’t really have festivals or places to go on the weekends. You kind of just chill out at your house. Austin has a great environment. It’s the No. 1 city in America. I’m not sure what’s not to like about Austin.

EJ: Texas has obviously had its up and downs as of late. What are you expecting from the Longhorns this season?

RJ: I just want to see progression. With this being Coach Herman’s second year at the school, I just want to see progression from last year. I want to see them finish games. I feel like they can make some big progress this year.

EJ: There isn’t any reason to believe you’re not solid but can you just update us on your commitment status?

RJ: I’m 100 percent committed. There is no if ands or buts about it. I’m 100 percent committed and trying to get this class together. There have been some schools that have reached out. But I’ve shut it down and told them that I don’t want to communicate. I’m all Texas.

EJ: Do you plan to enroll early?

RJ: Yes. I’m going to graduate in December and enroll early. I already have everything together for that. I feel like it will give me a jump. I don’t want to come in behind the guys in the fall. I want to be acclimated with everything.

EJ: Looking at the quarterback room, do you see an opportunity to come in and compete for early playing time?

RJ: I’m not really concerned about early playing time. I just want to make sure when my time comes, I’m ready for it.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 4

Wells on Jake Smith:

...the 4-star speedster from Scottsdale (AZ) Jake Smith names Texas, along with USC, in his Top 2. 

He’ll OV to Trojans on 5/18-5/20. He’ll take his OV to Austin on 6/1-6/3.

He’ll also take an UOV to Austin in September for the Texas-USC game. 

Last time on campus, he met Jordan and Jaxon Shipley. He thinks wearing the No. 8 would be really cool. I could see a decision this summer. 

I feel good here.

• Like 2

Don't worry folks, Perroni still found a way to spin it positively for Aggy. At least Brewster gave Jake Smith something to think about: 

He is announcing a final two later today. If you remember, he had said that he was close to making a decision but that the A&M offer and interest had him considering waiting a bit. I'm guessing he decided to just go ahead with only considering Texas and USC and not visiting A&M.

Edited by billfromlaketravis