Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Stanford sympathizing is not the hill I'm going to die on. I'm out. 

Be proud of your school. Be proud of where you came from. If not, I know a guy that can sell you Stanford season tickets. 

You’re conflating the value of a Stanford degree with school pride. You’re a fine contributor, but leave this one alone. 

E.J. Holland: Previewing a monster recruiting weekend for Texas

Texas is set to host several of its top targets for the annual Heat Wave event this weekend. Here is a full breakdown.

Official Visitors

OLB Rian Davis, Wekiva (Fla.) — While Davis appears to be leaning towards playing in the SEC, Texas has been a consistent threat in his recruitment. Remember, the four-star prospect played his junior season in the Houston-area and is very familiar with the program. If things go well this weekend, Texas has an opportunity to reshape this recruitment. Davis is a monster on the defensive side of the ball and would fill a big position of need.

S Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian Addison — Cine moved from Massachusetts to Texas this offseason and has adapted well to his new home — so much so that he is strongly considering staying in the Lone Star State for college. Cine is very high on the Longhorns and has built a strong relationship with safeties coach Craig Naivar. With Penn State no longer in firm control of this recruitment, Texas has a chance to knock it out of the park and make a serious move ahead of his August decision.

2019 targets

OL Javonne Shepherd, Houston North Forest — This is perhaps the most perplexing saga of the recruiting cycle so far. For more than a week, there have been conflicting reports about Shepherd making his way to Austin. As it stands right now, he is still on the visitors list and expected to be on campus. Shepherd recently named Texas his leader and if he does show up, the Longhorns will have a chance to topple recruiting rival Texas A&M and seal the deal with one of the nation’s premier tackles.

OL Chris Akporoghene, IMG Academy (Fla.) — Texas extended an offer to Akporoghene during the spring evaluation period. He has been quiet about his recruitment, so it's hard to get a good read at this time. However, the fact that he is making an unofficial visit bodes well for the Longhorns. Oregon is considered the early favorite for the three-star prospect. 

DL Jermaine Johnson, Independence C.C. — Texas has an immediate need up front, and Johnson can certainly fill it. The JUCO prospect is one of the best in the nation and would be a huge land for the Longhorns. This will be Johnson’s first trip to Texas, and we expect him back for an official visit in the fall/winter if everything goes according to plan this weekend. Along with Texas, Johnson is seriously considering Georgia, Minnesota, Oregon and a couple of others.

DL Taurean Carter, Mansfield Legacy — As mentioned, adding defensive linemen is a priority this cycle, and the Longhorns are set to host one of their newest targets as Carter is making his way to campus. Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles took a closer look at Carter during the spring evaluation period and extended a scholarship. The three-star prospect recently named Texas as one of his top schools, and the Longhorns have an opportunity to make a major impression here.

DL Peter Mpagi, George Ranch — Texas just put an offer on the table for Mpagi a few days ago after the three-star recruit impressed at multiple UT camps over the last couple of weeks. Mpagi has been on the radar for a while and has been pretty open about Texas being his dream school. Now that an offer has been extended, Texas is considered the clear frontrunner in his recruitment. Can Texas seal the deal this weekend? It’s a strong possibility.

ILB David Gbenda, Katy Cinco Ranch — Make no mistake about it, it’s a down year at the linebacker position across the region. But Gbenda is certainly a bright spot. One of the fastest rising prospects of the offseason, Gbenda has several options to chose from, but Texas and Texas A&M have separated themselves from the pack. Texas A&M hosted him last weekend and gained some momentum, but Texas can take it back this weekend. Gbenda does not plan to make a decision until December. 

ILB Maninoa Tufono, Punahou (HI) — Tufono is making his way to Austin all the way from out in Hawaii, which shows he has serious interest in the program. With a lack of viable linebacker options in the region this cycle, Tufono is an important target for the Longhorns moving forward. With a strong trip, we expect him to be back on campus for an official visit. He is also considering Oregon, Stanford, USC, Washington and a handful of others.

2020 targets

RB Zachary Evans, North Shore — One of the nation’s top overall prospects in the 2020 class, Evans is making his way down to Austin for yet another trip to Texas. Seriously, we’ve lost count how many times Evans has been on the Forty Acres as the Longhorns have separated themselves as the early frontrunner in his recruitment. With that said, Evans will not make a decision until his senior year.

RB Mookie Cooper, Trinity Catholic (MO) — One of the country’s most versatile prospects, Cooper has the potential to be a change of pace back or a slot receiver at the next level. He has Texas in his top group early on and has built a strong relationship with the staff. We feel good about where UT stands as it is set to host him for the first time. He is also high on Michigan and Ohio State.

WR Demond Demas, Houston North Forest — A teammate of the aforementioned Shepherd, Demas is next in line at Houston North Forest and is one of the state’s best in 2020. Like Shepherd, Texas and Texas A&M appear to be the teams to beat in his recruitment. Whichever program lands Shepherd could have the inside track for Demas, who is a dynamic playmaker on the outside.

OL Chad Lindberg, Cy Creek — Linberg is quickly proving that he might be the best offensive lineman in the state in 2020. The four-star prospect has great natural ability, is a smart kid in the classroom and could be a cornerstone tackle for years. He is definitely one of the most important underclassmen coming in this weekend. Texas extended an offer to Lindberg when he was on campus for the spring game in April.

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves — If you are looking for a recruit with a ton of upside, look no further than Garth. The fast-rising prospect has grown a couple of inches and added 35 pounds since the beginning of his junior season. He has also increased his weight room maxes by at least 100 pounds. Texas recently offered, and it appears the Longhorns are the early favorites.

OL Omari Thomas, Briarcrest Christian (TN) — Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand watched and offered Thomas during the spring evaluation period. It is unclear exactly how interested Thomas is in the Longhorns but getting him on campus is obviously a step in the right direction. Alabama, Memphis, Ole Miss and Tennessee are some of his early standouts.

DL Alec Bryant, Shadow Creek — A four-star prospect, Bryant does not hold a Texas offer just yet, but he is firmly on the radar and was on campus earlier this offseason. Bryant really wants a scholarship from UT and if one comes his way, it’s safe to say the Longhorns would be a huge threat to land him. Don’t be surprised if Bryant does notch that offer this weekend.

S Chris Thompson, Duncanville — The nation’s top 2020 safety is making his way to Austin for the third time this offseason. Thompson is high on both Texas and Texas A&M early on, but Naivar and the Longhorns have been working overtime in this recruitment as they appear to have a slight early edge. This visit is arguably the most important one of his process so far.

ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson, Duncanville — A versatile athlete, Jackson doesn’t have a defined position, but he is a monster on the field and is the type of guy you take and figure out what to do with later. Jackson likes to play things extremely close to the vest, but this will be his second trip to Texas, and the Longhorns are certainly making a big impact in his recruitment.

2019 commits

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves — Johnson committed to Texas last summer and is the leader of the 2019 class.

WR Jordan Whittington, Cuero — Whittington also made an early commitment and has been a vocal leader for the Longhorns this cycle.

TE Jared Wiley, Temple — Wiley is one of UT’s most recent commits. He is an intriguing athlete and a great compliment to fellow tight end commit Brayden Liebrock.

DL T’Vondre Sweat, Huntsville — Sweat made somewhat of a surprise commitment to Texas early in the cycle. He remains solid.

CB Kenyatta Watson II, Grayson (GA) — Watson picked Texas over finalist Notre Dame last month and is all in with the Longhorns.

2020 commits

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis — Card became the first member of UT’s 2020 class and is ready to be a leader on the recruiting trail.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which UT commit can make immediate impact?

Is it fair to say that among the top offensive targets, that no one prospect separates themselves among the others and that each will need a redshirt year & quality coaching? -- vinnyC40

EJ: Ideally, all of your offensive line takes will redshirt and develop. But Texas obviously needs some help up front, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see Tyler Johnson get some action as a true freshman. He is arguably the most consistent offensive lineman in the state this cycle and is a perfect fit at right tackle. I would say Jake Smith is the most ready as he can contribute in multiple ways. He can be a dynamite slote, something that Texas doesn't have right now, and make a difference in the backfield. He can also be a factor on special teams.

Mike: I would say if we’re talking only offensive targets, it’s likely that guys like Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock will make early contributions. As EJ mentioned, Tyler Johnson has the size and smarts to contribute quickly as well.

Is linebacker going to end up being one of the weakest position groups of this class? -- AgentOrren

EJ: Simple answer: Yes. There just aren’t a ton of viable options across the region this year, and that’s why a guy like David Gbenda has seen his stock boom. Texas is going to get him in for a visit this weekend, which is obviously huge with Texas A&M gaining steam in that recruitment. Texas will also have Rian Davis on campus for an official visit. He is a special talent with ties to the Lone Star State. While he is trending to Georgia, Texas has an opportunity to shake things up and land a Day 1 difference maker. Texas is still in the mix with Tennessee commit Lakia Henry as well.

Mike: I think it depends on how the class finishes. If Texas comes away with Gbenda and De’Gabriel Floyd, they might be in position to convince a guy like Bru McCoy or Makiya Tongue to play linebacker. Both are being recruited at receiver, but they have the ability to play both. If Texas could lock one of them in there, that’s a sneaky good group.

Will Trey Sanders come back to Austin for an official? Is where his brother Umstead ends up going to make or break Trey’s decision? -- Hookem4life1246

EJ: Yes, we fully expect Texas to get Trey Sanders back on campus for an official visit in the fall. Sanders loved his unofficial visit this weekend as the Longhorns really sold Stan Drayton and his resume. Sanders has told me that development for the NFL is big in his recruitment, and Drayton can certainly prepare him. Texas is a bigger player here than most think. As far as his brother goes, he’s a preferred walk-on at Florida, so don’t think he’s deal breaker.

Mike: Analysts tried all off season to play the guessing game correlating his decision with his brother’s. At the end of the day I’m not sure he’s going to automatically follow. Him being at Florida does introduce some interesting possibilities, though. As EJ said, everyone we’ve spoken with expected him to be back on campus for an official visit.

Assuming your top two takes would be Trey Sanders and Noah Cain, what two running backs are we in the best position to take in 2019? -- rtapp32

EJ: I feel like Texas is in a very good position to get Cain right now, but it’s all going to come down to the season. I mentioned my thoughts on Sanders up top. With some wins, I see Texas landing one of the two — obviously, both would be an amazing haul, and it isn’t completely farfetched. But again, I think one is more realistic along with a second back like a Marcus Major or maybe a late offer guy like a Darwin Barlow.

Mike: Texas is going to have to win, and they’ll have to prove they can do it running the ball. Noah Cain mentioned to me that a big piece of their recruitment was Herb Hand and a re-tooled offensive line. I think both guys are watching this very closely. I think that Texas can land Cain, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them send out a late offer to Barlow.

Marcel Brooks visiting was surprising. What are our chances here and why do you think he might be wavering from LSU? -- CharlieSkrong

EJ: Well, he didn’t actually make it in this weekend, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him step foot on campus before the end of the cycle. Brooks is a phenomenal talent and a Top 5 prospect in the state, in my opinion. I actually don’t think he’s wavering much. Brooks is pretty locked into LSU, but Texas has always been a place he’s been intrigued by. Remember, the Longhorns were close to landing him really early in his process.

Mike: Like EJ said, it wouldn’t surprise me if he visits. That said, I think it would probably take a lot to flip him at this point. His talent is out of this world.

Has the moving of staff (Corby Meekins, Drew Mehringer, Derek Warehime) impacted recruiting positively or negatively? -- uthaas

EJ: I don’t think it’s really made much of a difference. I feel like Warehime was solid along the offensive line last cycle and did a great job with tight ends this cycle, landing an amazing pass catcher in Brayden Liebrock and a high upside second take in Jared Wiley. Mehringer’s role hasn’t really changed as he’s handling most of wide receiver recruiting, while Meekins is continuing to make an impact in Houston as well as with Texas high school coaches.

Mike: I haven’t seen much movement there. Meekins is very good in his area of Houston, but he isn’t in on as many big name prospects. I think it’s something we’ll have to see play out over the long term before we can really weigh in on it.

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No one fucking knows for sure. We suspect or hope. But for sucking sure sunshine pumping fuckheads were asking the same stupid question every year from 2010 to 2014: “where will texas be in 4-5 years?” And not one of them would have answered “sucking hind teet and being a national embarrassment.” 

Stanford has an elite degree and on the field results wed kill for the last 8 years. Mack Brown won 2 conference titles in 18 years. Even when we were at our best its not like we were reeling off conference titles. 

Generally i really really like you as a poster here, but this is the first time youve tossed out some aggy level ignorant stupidity that ive seen. Dont be fucking obtuse. 

You should have Stanfords baby.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

For what? Winning 8-9 games a year and with an upset of Washington or USC here and there?  Sure, why not? 

For all the captains of industry on here, y'all are short sighted. What is Texas going to be in 4-5 years?

What did you think it would be 4-5 years ago, in about 4-5 years?  Since this kid was in 8th grade, he's seen Texas lose more games than they've won, but he's foolish to choose Stanford simply because you take it as a given that UT will be great again in 4-5 years.  

Texas is a great school with a tradition rich program, and I understand your affection for the program, but this kid was, what, 8 years old the last time UT was playing for a ring?  He probably doesn't remember that.

Most recruits don't share our fanaticism for our alma maters (I'm just assuming you actually went to Texas), and Stanford is a pretty great fucking place to go to college, and an O-line factory for the NFL.

Texas will have a strong class again, man.  But try to see things from a recruit's point of view.

5 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

What is illegal about it?

Coaches cannot talk about recruits until AFTER signing day. They cannot post their likeness or even tweet them by name. You know how the coach can't bring up the recruits until the letter is in on signing day, etc ? 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Coaches cannot talk about recruits until AFTER signing day. They cannot post their likeness or even tweet them by name. You know how the coach can't bring up the recruits until the letter is in on signing day, etc ? 

Didn't they relax those rules somewhat? I remember Vaughn used to be super cryptic about DBs he was referring to in tweets (best in bEast Texas) but then that recently changed.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Didn't they relax those rules somewhat? I remember Vaughn used to be super cryptic about DBs he was referring to in tweets (best in bEast Texas) but then that recently changed.

Here's NCAA Proposal 2015-48, passed by the NCAA's legislative council in the spring and taking effect Aug. 1, 2016:

An athletics department staff member may take actions (e.g., "like," "favorite," republish, "tag," etc.) on social media platforms that indicate approval of content on social media platforms that was generated by users of the platforms other than institutional staff members or representatives of an institution's athletics interests.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Hand has posted pics of him with recruits. How is this different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hand has taken pics and was tagged in pics with them, but he never posted them. Hand is a stickler for the rules, he posts about them at least once a week 

Edited by utfan87

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Hand has posted pics of him with recruits. How is this different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, he has retweeted pics that were originally posted by other users of social media that had no affiliation with Texas. Brewster originated the content which makes it a violation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Death, taxes and Stanford digressions

Has Bama or aggy ever lost recruits to Stanford?  I don't recall it happening, but you'd think if it was choosing a great academic school over a good football school, then Bama would lose a few recruits to Stanford.

16 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Has Bama or aggy ever lost recruits to Stanford?  I don't recall it happening, but you'd think if it was choosing a great academic school over a good football school, then Bama would lose a few recruits to Stanford.

First of all, a recruit who's possibly smart enough to get accepted to tree isn't dumb enough to consider gomer.  Second, just win baby