Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've only been told stories, much as the same as anyone else, and pass them on here from time to time. 

The NCAA has lost the narrative at this point, and they're not capable of doing anything about institutionalized cheating across an entire region. 

I don't know about that.

They kicked the shit out of the Boise State tennis team. 

12 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

So I am going to guess that if you are privy to such information about documentary evidence of Georgia paying for players, the NCAA has similar evidence. I assume they have 'top' men reviewing it alongside the Ark of the Covenant.

Could someone photoshop that crate with the swastika on it from Raiders of the Lost Ark to have a branded SEC logo instead?

UnfinishedCriminalCoelacanth-size_restri

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've only been told stories, much as the same as anyone else, and pass them on here from time to time. 

The NCAA has lost the narrative at this point, and they're not capable of doing anything about institutionalized cheating across an entire region. 

I believe you mean 'across an entire conference'. If South Alabama gives a recruit a Tic-Tac on an unofficial visit they will get penalized. Georgia passing out rate lists for paying players gets a deaf ear like Joe Paterno and rhythmic slapping noises.

Edited by rickyspub

IT

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

As the summer heats up, so too Texas Football recruiting for 2019 and 2020. After last weekend's Heat Wave, the Horns generated positive vibes with its pool party and put themselves in a great position with a number of its top targets. Latest on a hot and humid weekend and where the Horns stand with some of the nation's top prospects in the Scoop.

JAVONNE SHEPHERD

We've been on a few amusement park rides this cycle already. Normally those occur more in the latter days of a given cycle but here is Summer and we're already punching day passes.

We saw the log ride of DeMarvin Leal where I, wearing my Leal to Texas prediction shirt got all wet. That log ride may still have a conveyor belt tick-tick-tick up in UT's favor, though.

Then there was Garrett Wilson's recruitment. That's the ride that slowly takes you directly vertical then pauses, just long enough to take in the view and build anticipation. Then you just drop and it feels like you're going to throw up on the person next to you.

Shepherd's recruitment has given the appearance of a roller coaster but I'll posit Texas has been out front for months now despite A&M's best efforts. In that way, it's been the Tea Pot ride at Disneyland with very little tempest but a fair amount of Aggie motion sickness. I still maintain, however, the ride could last much longer than it needs too and we might all be dizzy before it's said and done.

Here's Shepherd in his own words.

On taking A&M and UT visits on back-to-back days:
"Really, it's just recruiting. I'm just being real patient and seeing how everything goes."

Is Texas still #1:
"Oh yeah, for sure. For sure."

What has Texas #1:
"The staff, the players, they treat you like you're family or more, you know."

Herb Hand:
"I'm very good with Herb Hand and Tom Herman. Corby Meekins. Really the whole staff. It's just like they care for me more than just a player, as a person too."

Not in a hurry:
"I'm going to take all my official visits first then I'll commit [in the fall]."

Any visits this summer:
"Georgia and Bama I'm going to but I'm not sure when."

With Shepherd I can't entirely rule out an abrupt commitment out of nowhere ahead of his stated timeline, but for now he's going to make his visits and continue to take his time. For a guy you'll have to recruit until the end, that shouldn't matter anyway.

RIAN DAVIS

Davis has been a popular topic in recent months. He attends Wekiva High School in Apopka, Florida, but spent recent time in the Houston area. That gave him a sense of Texas football and the status of UT football in the Lone Star State.

Going into the weekend I said Texas needed to hit a home run to have a chance, otherwise I felt it was a foregone conclusion he'd end up in the Southeast. Due to the his official visit being months ahead of a decision, and the 'visit high' timing of his comments, I feel that is still the most likely outcome, but the staff did in fact hit a home run with the visit.

"I had a great time, I wish I could have stayed longer. I can definitely see myself at Texas. I bonded with Gary Johnson and I bonded with the coaches a little."

Davis will visit Alabama this upcoming weekend on an unofficial. He wants to announce in August or late September at the earliest. On the strength of the visit and strengthening relationship Texas will stay in this one until the end, but the staff may need a little luck in Georgia and/or Alabama tapping the brakes on his recruitment. At this time it seems he's a take for Georgia at least.

KUONY DENG

Deng is an interesting name new to the scene. He's taken a unique path just to become a target for a school like Texas.

When discussing Juco players it's always important to learn the back story:

"I'm from Northern Virginia, about 15 minutes outside of Washington, D.C. My parents are originally from South Sudan. I was under-the-radar out of high school. I was undersized and I was primarily a basketball player out of high school so I ended up playing football and basketball at VMI [Virginia Military Institute], a small Division 1 in Virginia. Eventually I put on size and improved my game and realized I should play college football at its highest level. I transferred to Indy [Independence C.C. in Kansas] in January and restarted my recruiting process."

Here's the current story between Deng and Texas:

"Coach Giles said they haven't evaluated enough of my film. He said that he wants to get his hands on our spring game to watch me play a full game from snap to snap but he's certain that they will get an offer out in the future."

Currently Deng has a handful of small offers, but he did pick up Texas A&M on his recent visit through the state.

MORE POST-HEAT WAVE NOTES/QUOTES

Saturday was exactly what the Texas staff needed; some summer momentum as we approach the dead period (June 25th). With over 30 prospects on campus this weekend, UT's 2nd annual Heat Wave pool party hosted some of the best in the nation. It also capped off a hot and humid Saturday with a pledge from a rising defender. Let's get to it.

Peter Mpagi....

This one was over five minutes after an offer was extended to the 6-foot-5, 235-pound versatile defender from George Ranch HS in Richmond. The 3-star always dreamed of playing for the Longhorns, even having his room decked out in burnt orange growing up.

"I prayed to God everyday to make this moment happen," said Mpagi, after giving UT his verbal pledge in person. "I'm just so blessed. Once I got the offer, I couldn't believe it. I knew once I got this offer, it was over. I can stay close to home, play for my favorite team, and have my mom cheering in the stands. It's still so surreal."

With Texas taking 4-5 defensive linemen in this cycle, Mpagi is a great fit because of his size, frame, and athleticism.

"(Texas) says I'll be playing in the 5-technique and some B-backer too," Mpagi explained. "Coach Giles says I can play weakside or strong. It doesn't matter because I'm very versatile. I'm just going to keep working and getting stronger and hopefully lead my high school team far into the playoffs in my final season."

One of the reasons Texas pulled the trigger with an offer wasn't just his ceiling and upside as a college defender, but his tenacity in earning it.

"I really got the offer because I not only came to the camp here (in Austin), but I came to the camp in Houston and that showed determination that I really wanted this offer," said Mpagi.

Even before he went public with his commitment, he was on campus Saturday morning recruiting for the Class of 2019.

"I tried my best to do some recruiting today," Mpagi said. "I spoke to some 2020 guys that, I'm not going to say their names, but they feel like this might be the place for them to go. I'm pretty sure they'll commit down the road. I spoke to Taurean Carter (Mansfield Legacy DL) and feel like he wants to come here. We spent a lot of time together and told him some really great things about the program and how it's only going to get better. I think we have a good shot at winning the Big 12 and I'll be here for every home game. If what some of the 2019s have been telling me is true, we can definitely have another Top 3 or Top 5 class."

Any chances he takes some visits to other schools down the road?

"I'm done," said Mpagi with a smile as big as Texas. "This is the only place I want to be."

Maninoa Tufono....

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound 4-star ILB from Punahoo (HI) made his first stop on his unofficial visit tour on Saturday in Austin. He summed it up in one word.

"Unbelievable," said Tufono. "First of all, I'm grateful for the staff here bringing me and my family to spend time with them and to keep building the relationship. It was great talking to them - coach Orlando and coach Herman - just building that relationship as I start shutting down my recruiting process."

Where does Texas stand after a wonderful trip and first impression?

"I'm not even done with my visit yet, but I have to say (Texas) is up there," said Tufono. "They're close to the top. I just felt the love and the family atmosphere, and the national championship mentality they have. The coaching staff really stands out. The tutors to the recruits, it's all family. When they say,' Texas takes care of Texas,’ I've seen it. It's all true. It was great seeing the family atmosphere and the facilities blow you away, but first and foremost the coaching staff and atmosphere is real."

The 4-star and Top 100 national prospect, who holds over 30+ offers including Notre Dame, Stanford, USC, and LSU, knows a great defense when he sees it. Texas DC Todd Orlando made sure of that.

"(Orlando) has a lot of wisdom," Tufono said. "He's a great guy to learn from, and they've got me playing the Mike linebacker. We're going to watch some film later today. But he's a great guy and I'd love to learn from him and my position."

Austin was the first stop on a tour that includes LSU (6/19) and Alabama (6/22) over the next week. After that he's finished with his unofficials and will head back home to cut down his list and figure out his Top 5, who will get his five official visits. One thing that's really helping the Horns is recruiting assistant Jake Langi, a fellow Polynesian.

"(Langi) is a Polynesian guy that I can relate to," Tufono said. "Not many poly guys here but I'm willing to make my own name and start my own tradition and build that Polynesian pipeline for kids to follow."

He’ll drop his Top 5 later this summer, but there’s no guarantee Texas will make the list. The number one factor in his decision will be academics, and after last weekend, UT put themselves in the best possible position to get Maninoa back on campus for an official visit.

Chris Akporoghene...

The best looking prospect on the day, all 6-foot-5, 280 pounds of him, was the Nigerian who resembled a ready-made college lineman. Akporoghene, the 4-star from the IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL, made his first trip to the state last weekend an it made quite an impression.

“I’m from Tennessee, then transferred to the IMG Academy,” said Chris. "I've learned a lot in Florida and am thankful for that. As for Texas, it was a blast. The City of Austin and UT’s campus and family atmosphere was just amazing.”

Akporoghene is a perceptive guy who is looking for more than a flashy college and experience. He's looking for coaches and players he can trust.

“The (Texas) coaches were honest about how much they need me in their program," Chris said. "I really appreciated that."

He mentioned that UT is building something special and that it’ll ultimately come down to the relationships with the players and staff.

He holds 33 offers, including Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, Miami, and Washington. I could see that list even growing once more coaches see him in person. He resembles your prototypical offensive tackle, with lean muscle and great footwork, not to mention upper body strength at the point of attack.

Akporoghene doesn't have an favorites at the moment, even though Tennessee might hold a slight edge. But he's going into this open-minded which is really all you can ask for. Getting him to Austin on an unofficial was a step in the right direction.

Getting him back for an OV and ball game at DKR this fall will tell us how he really feels about the Longhorns. Coach Hand made a nice impression, but the return trip to the 40 Acres will let us know where UT stands. He should start by asking IMG teammates, Noah Cain and Trey Sanders, both of which hold UT and its staff in high regard.

Caldwell, Catalon, and one of the Carters

The defensive secondary is a group worth watching in UT’s C/O 2019. With Kenyatta Watson II in the fold and UT looking really good for Cali native Chris Adimora, the remaining targets are staying busy but keeping up relationships with the Texas staff.

Marques Caldwell and Jalen Catalon were in Atlanta for Pylon. Marques is setting up an UOV soon, and would like to hit Austin before the dead period. When he’s not playing in the 7-on-7 nationals, Catalon is following Texas in the College World Series. He feels like he competed well last weekend, and speaks highly of coach Naivar, with whom they've really bonded though his recruiting process.

As for Jeffrey Carter, one of the best athletes in Texas, I anticipate this recruitment to resemble a roller coaster at Six Flags. Both Texas and Carter have interest in each other.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-monday-june-18th/

– It’s impossible to schedule a summer recruiting event and have it on the weekend where nothing is going on with recruits. The same can be said about Texas’ recruiting event this past weekend. The Pylon 7on7 championships in Atlanta took place over the weekend. It kept some recruits away from Austin that would have likely made it in otherwise.

Some of those guys are…

– CB Jeffrey Carter: Just named Texas to his Top 4 after the Longhorns seemed out of it for awhile. Wants to play with his cousin, DT Taurean Carter (who visited Texas this weekend) and the only big offer they have in common is Texas.

WR Dylan Wright: A guy who looked like a big Texas lean awhile back is exploring all of his options. Texas A&M has made a big push recently and gotten him on campus twice this summer. Would have been nice for Texas to get him back on campus and around some other commits/top targets.

S Jalen Catalon: A guy who is trending towards Texas. Wants to make a decision later on in the process though. But having him around the commits and the coaching staff this weekend could have possibly sped up the timeline a bit

– 2020 RB Zachary Evans: One of the top running backs in the ’20 class, was not able to make it to the event due to travel issue as we had been reporting all week. Evans has been to campus many times and we expect him to make several more trips to Austin prior to his commitment down the line. It would have been a boost to get him on campus with a bunch of the other 2020 kids. – (Andrew)

– Texas did host a solid group of 2019, 2020, and 2021 recruits on Saturday for their “Heat Wave” summer recruiting event. Here are some quick hitters from the weekend. And there will be plenty more updates from this event coming this week.

– Texas landed George Ranch (TX) DE Peter Mpagi as the event concluded on Saturday.

Texas offered Mpagi on Thursday, and this recruitment was pretty much over after that happened. Mpagi actually told me on Tuesday that he wasn’t going to be at Texas over the weekend because he was going to be on a Northwestern official visit. Like I said, the Texas offer quickly changed everything.

– The Javonne Shepherd visit saga is over, finally. He visited Texas and Texas A&M over the weekend. And he told reporters after the event that Texas is his number one school right now.

I talked to someone close to him and was told that Texas made a bigger impression over the weekend. The real laid back approach from the Heat Wave event was something a lot of the recruits liked, including Shepherd. Texas A&M is Texas’ main competition in this one, but I was told Georgia is the other school that’s really left in this one. Though I expect this to be a Longhorns-Aggies battle all the way. A summer decision is still on the table for Shepherd. And if that happens, I like Texas’ chances.

– One guy that I’m told Texas made a really nice move with is Mansfield Legacy (TX) DE Taurean Carter. He got to spend some one on one time with Oscar Giles after the visit concluded. I was also told that he and Peter Mpagi were together a lot during the event. I think Texas has taken the lead in this one, and that can’t hurt their chances with elite CB Jeffrey Carter. Who would like to play college football with his cousin, Taurean, and he just named Texas in his Top 4.

– Trinity Catholic (TX) S Lewis Cine and Wekiva (FL) OLB Rian Davis officially visited Texas over the weekend. Both were at the Heat Wave event and stayed in Austin through Sunday. I was told that Texas “hit it out of the park” with Davis, and they definitely moved up his list. I’m looking to speak with him soon following his visit, as he’s heading back to Florida today. Will plans to speak with Lewis Cine tomorrow, so we’ll have an update then. – (Andrew)

24 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

SEC Country is who Spiegelman writes for I believe.  He previously had his Shepherd pick for aggy.

He's freelance now because SEC Country laid off most of their writers. He's an extreme LSU homer. 

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

The 9.95ers really need to come up with another analogy other than “homeruns” after every positive visit. 

"Texas really needed to catch the Golden Snitch this weekend and the caramel swirls in my frappe tell me they did just that."

/EJ "Der BeanerSchnitzel" Holland

• Like 2

A little off-topic, and SIAP, but is it common knowledge that 247 hired that jkb dude to cover Baylor?

https://247sports.com/User/James JKB Blanchard/Predictions/?PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Recruitment.Year=2019&PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Sport=Football

Edited by Chuckie Finster

6 minutes ago, QfromOH_1013 said:

So what is the issue with Jeffrey Carter again?  I just watched that dudes film for the first time and wow. I didnt realize how ridiculously athletic he is.

Character/grades. I've never seen/heard exactly what it is, but for how talented he is, enough big programs have been hot and cold with him over the last year to believe something's going on.  Supposedly, some $9.95ers have been saying he's starting to clean up his act, thus UT's renewed interest.

With a few tweaks, these guys could start charging $10.95. 

1. I was told that Texas "really smashed the shuttlecock" with Davis this weekend.

2. Texas was down a few wickets heading into the weekend, then absolutely crushed a massive six on the visit, I'm told.

3. Herman was literally throwing his 8th stone this weekend, and after sweeping like crazy, Texas made a great draw to the button in the extra end. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sejjr said:

1. I was told that Texas "really smashed the shuttlecock" with Davis this weekend.

2. Texas was down a few wickets heading into the weekend, then absolutely crushed a massive six on the visit, I'm told.

3. Herman was literally throwing his 8th stone this weekend, and after sweeping like crazy, Texas made a great draw to the button in the extra end. 

Gonna have to do more to catch up when down a few wickets, than just one hit for six. Rather, you need to stabilize with a strong batting partnership marked by timely hitting and good running in between the wickets.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Gonna have to do more to catch up when down a few wickets, than just one hit for six. Rather, you need to stabilize with a strong batting partnership marked by timely hitting and good running in between the wickets.

He'sRightYouKnow.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

The 9.95ers really need to come up with another analogy other than “homeruns” after every positive visit. 

"The staff really slog-swept this recruitment for six."

"The staff ripped a no-look crosscourt backhand down the line this weekend."

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Like 1

The staff pulled a Black Lotus on their opening draw with this visit.

Herman and co. spawned right next to a legendary SCAR when he arrived for his official.

I'm told his experience was a perfect power loop and yaw spin.

In talking with someone close to the situation, his unofficial was finding a T206 Honus Wagner in the attic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Think you mean they could charge 8.25 pounds or maybe 745 rupees...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting note from EJ 

Spoiler

By the way, Hobbs’ mother has been in frequent contact with the mother of Texas A&M defensive line commit DeMarvin Leal. You can bet Texas is going to continue to do everything it can to flip Leal over the course of the recruiting process.

Let's see if mUTha hustla can clutch it out 

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think he would be a good get. He is due for a huge rating bump. I think Rivals has him as a 4*, yet his composite is in the high 700s as 247 has him ranked as in the 1700s. It seems he performed well in the camps and he hasn't played for long, so I think he is a semi-late riser in the making. Plus, Hand has been super selective with OL offers and he notched one, I think this speaks for itself on how high the ceiling for this guy could be

11 minutes ago, T-dog said:

I think he would be a good get. He is due for a huge rating bump. I think Rivals has him as a 4*, yet his composite is in the high 700s as 247 has him ranked as in the 1700s. It seems he performed well in the camps and he hasn't played for long, so I think he is a semi-late riser in the making. Plus, Hand has been super selective with OL offers and he notched one, I think this speaks for itself on how high the ceiling for this guy could be

Here's a clip of him at a camp. He's got a crazy physique but no clue how to play. His feet look a little plodding, but I think that may just be due to him having no clue what to do in a pass drop.  Would be nice to see him do some agility workouts to measure foot speed and mobility.  

Edit: Here's the link to his hudl: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7556060/599901d2b534c122dc729380

He shows some pretty quick feet on plays in there. I'm thinking the slowness in the camp video is more due to not knowing technique. Seems like a no brainer take if we can get him.  Will be really interesting to see how much his technique improves after a whole year of training at IMG.    

Edited by UT Lawnghorn