Texas recruiting notes 2019

The problem for Giles is that the offense is killing him on the trail. If we had won 9 or 10 last year, we probably have a better pick of players this year. And so long as we don't crater this season, next year's class could be elite, all without Giles doing anything but selling wins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

The problem for Giles is that the offense is killing him he's on the trail. If we had won 9 or 10 last year, we probably have a better pick of players this year. And so long as we don't crater this season, next year's class could be elite, all without Giles doing anything but selling wins. 

fify. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If you combined Oscar Giles and Tim Beck together, you either get the most lethal assistant coach we've had on the 40 in a while, or an especially useless sack of potatoes. the most horrifying coach ever imagined: Derew Mehrhimenger. 

LTU0ODk2.gif

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

The biggest issue with DL recruiting isn't Giles. It's the class of 2019 in Texas. Outside of Leal there is no DL in the state that is in the above category. I guess Stripling could be but I don't think he's a given as a difference maker. He'll be a good contributor but I could see his ceiling limiting him beyond that. Then what? I'm not a huge believer in NaNa, so then what are you left with? It's simply a bad year for no-doubter impact DL in the state

This is an about-face from what everyone was saying after the 2018 class ended. The 2019 in-state D-line class is a lot stronger than the 2018 one. You can't go 0/4 on Leal, Stripling, Mowry, and Osafo-Mensah and then blame the state for not producing enough blue-chips especially when A&M had no problem getting two of those four in the fold and leads for a third. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This is an about-face from what everyone was saying after the 2018 class ended. The 2019 in-state D-line class is a lot stronger than the 2018 one. You can't go 0/4 on Leal, Stripling, Mowry, and Osafo-Mensah and then blame the state for not producing enough blue-chips especially when A&M had no problem getting two of those four in the fold and leads for a third. 

Oh stop it. I'm not worried about mensah, he is not much of a loss IMO. Mowry and Stripling were aggies all along, Mowry is a stud but Stripling is meh. Leal was all aggie but gave us a shot, we could not connect though.

Edited by Goodman

14 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Oh stop it. I'm not worried about mensah, he is not much of a loss IMO. Mowry and Stripling were aggies all along, Mowry is a stud but Stripling is meh. Leal was all aggie but gave us a shot, we could not connect though.

Welcome Oscar. Can you get me OU tickets? 

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'm not going to belabour your evaluation of D-line recruits, but I would think your and golfclap's assessment of Nana belies the effort we put into going after him. The calibre of his offer list speaks to this as well.

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Leal was all aggie but gave us a shot

No he wasn't. Nahlin was convinced as far back as Jan/Feb that Leal was coming here if he decided to stay in-state. Herman made him a massive priority early in the cycle.

Edited by satyanash

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, the crop is better than last year and we definitely have got Giles'd since aggy's got a functioning recruiting staff again. Luckily 2020 is looking even better, and half of the good ones aren't in Katy (Mayde Creek is close enough) this time. With some wins we should get our share.

Of course I know you think we're only going to get 7 wins again so DOOOOOOM WE'RE DOOOOOMED.

Edited by texifornia

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

All three of those you mentioned not named Leal have red flags 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Do Mowry and Stripling? I just thought Stripling had a weird pre-aggy younger brother and Mowry's part of the Katy Taylor pipeline.

I'm not saying red flags are why we didn't land them, but they're discounted prospects in my mind because of them 

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If your list is only 4-deep in the entire state, then it's not a good year for the D-Line. I don't know what your measurement standard is, but I know you love your 9.95ers and ranking-wise this years class isn't really all that better than last year. 

28 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Satyanash is being is usual weenie self, but nobody thought Leal was "all aggy" until after he committed. Stop the nonsense.

Mowery and Stripling have showed pretty much zero interest in coming here.  Has Mowery ever even visited?  Stripling maybe once or twice.  NaNa's parents wanted the catholic school.  Yeah losing Leal sucks, hopefully he comes to his senses during the season, but if he wants to dwell in mediocrity for 4 years then oh well.

Next year has a good crop of in-state DL.  Bryant, Broughton, Dorbah, Wright, Sylvester and Princely.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm not going to belabour your evaluation of D-line recruits, but I would think your and golfclap's assessment of Nana belies the effort we put into going after him. The calibre of his offer list speaks to this as well.

No he wasn't. Nahlin was convinced as far back as Jan/Feb that Leal was coming here if he decided to stay in-state. Herman made him a massive priority early in the cycle.

Mensah is a take for a lot of reasons but his on field talent is not can't miss. He is one hell of a student-athlete though, very much replaceable and we just replaced him with someone who has a higher upside IMO. I don't care how we got to Mpagi but we got there and he is a great take, not immediate help and that is Ok. Lets see him after a few years of Yancy. 

Of course Nahlin and all the other drunk 9.95'ers thought we were getting Leal, I did too. For the past few years he has been all aggie, Price and Sumlin had him sold. We all thought we would get him when Sumlin was fired and he gave us a legitimate chance but we were out recruited by Price/Brewster/Jimbo. He thinks he is going to be a DE for aggie.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Of course Nahlin and all the other drunk 9.95'ers thought we were getting Leal, I did too. For the past few years he has been all aggie, Price and Sumlin had him sold. We all thought we would get him when Sumlin was fired and he gave us a legitimate chance but we were out recruited by Price/Brewster/Jimbo. He thinks he is going to be a DE for aggie.

As soon as he arrives on campus he'll be put with the DT's.

14 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

Are we getting Stingley?

He's not committing to Texas tomorrow

There's a longshot avenue to landing him that includes LSU tanking the season, Corey Raymond leaving, landing his buddy Tongue after landing his other buddy Mike Williams in 2018, and Texas having a great season, but as I said, that's a longshot 

Edited by Fud

1 hour ago, Fud said:

He's not committing to Texas tomorrow

There's a longshot avenue to landing him that includes LSU tanking the season, Corey Raymond leaving, landing his buddy Tongue after landing his other buddy Mike Williams in 2018, and Texas having a great season, but as I said, that's a longshot 

Cool cool cool, let’s do that then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

I'm not saying red flags are why we didn't land them, but they're discounted prospects in my mind because of them 

What are the red flags with Stripling and Mowry? I know Stripling has some attitude issues but I’ve never heard anything about Mowry.

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

Leal was definitely an aggy lean when Sumlin was there. I remember him tweeting as a sophomore about how great the SEC was and stuff about aggy repping Texas in the SEC. all that talked died down when it became obvious Sumlin was getting canned and he showed interest in texas, so I thought he was over it but clearly not. I think it’s true that Leal was much more of an aggy lean than we thought but also that the staff didn’t do a good job capitalizing after Sumlin was gone prior but before Leal got to visit Jimbo and co. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

But he was the "best" of the middle-high level WRs, no?

Not IMO, just the latest to be offered. I like Higgins, Anderson, and Ellis more.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

Dead period is when sources, cruits, uncles & trainers feed 995'ers the best bullshit stories. Leaning here, love that place, I have a great relationship with Warehime and he smells fine, Drew calls me all the time, Giles calls my HS coach, I'm looking for the best engineering program, watched his 7v7 & he's the best WR in the nation, Tisdale needs an offer now or we will pay when we play him, I am told he is transferring, Shack can snap, Vahe is smarter than he looks, the game has slowed down for Jones, Shane is the most accurate passer in CFB, Sam outgrew performance anxiety....It's the worst time of year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Certain posters around here seem to think we already had signing day. 

Some posters on here have a bloody, sandy vagina and need the Anthony Bordain home remedy for treating their chronic and persistent yeast infection.