Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

22 hours ago, Fud said:

I think OL is easily the most difficult position to evaluate, at least it is for me. The two guys whose opinions I value in OL evals the most (one is a high level OL coach), almost always see things completely differently from the consensus, and even what I see at first glance. 

It's very difficult to evaluate OL in these 1:1 no-pads camps that is for sure.  Multi-sport athletes used to be a huge plus as you could watch a kid play basketball or baseball and see hip flexibility and quick twtch skills.  However, most kids are full time football now.

E.J. Holland: Texas makes big push for JUCO DL Jermaine Johnson

Texas hosted a number of talented recruits last weekend for its annual Heat Wave event. One of the most important targets on campus was four-star junior college defensive lineman Jermaine Johnson, who had a blast in Austin. “The visit went really well,” Johnson said. “It was nice to put a face to a name for every coach, and it was nice to get understanding for the culture. Overall, I really liked the Heat Wave pool party. I also really liked the city lifestyle. And I’d say my favorite part was meeting Coach (Tom) Herman and seeing what he’s all about.”

As Johnson mentioned, Texas head coach Tom Herman, who is personally involved in his recruitment, made a big impression on him during his time on the Forty Acres. “I liked that Coach Herman is really big on being more than just a coach to the players,” Johnson said. “I also like that he made it very clear how much he needed me. To add onto that, he made sure I knew that I was a necessity not a luxury.”

Texas has a need for immediate help along the defensive line, and Johnson is one of the Longhorns' top overall prospects on the board this cycle. So where does UT sit after this visit? “I’d say Texas stands higher on my list then they were prior to the visit,” Johnson said. “The culture stood out more than anything and that Coach Herman is a family oriented man. It just kind of trickles down the entire program, and it shows.”

Georgia is considered the leader for Johnson at this point in the process. He will make an official visit to Oregon this weekend and is also considering schools like Minnesota, Nebraska and Texas A&M. At 6-foot-6, 240 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 5 overall JUCO prospect in the country, per 247Sports.

Edited by satyanash

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Texas makes big push for JUCO DL Jermaine Johnson

Reveal hidden contents

Texas hosted a number of talented recruits last weekend for its annual Heat Wave event. One of the most important targets on campus was four-star junior college defensive lineman Jermaine Johnson, who had a blast in Austin. “The visit went really well,” Johnson said. “It was nice to put a face to a name for every coach, and it was nice to get understanding for the culture. Overall, I really liked the Heat Wave pool party. I also really liked the city lifestyle. And I’d say my favorite part was meeting Coach (Tom) Herman and seeing what he’s all about.”

As Johnson mentioned, Texas head coach Tom Herman, who is personally involved in his recruitment, made a big impression on him during his time on the Forty Acres. “I liked that Coach Herman is really big on being more than just a coach to the players,” Johnson said. “I also like that he made it very clear how much he needed me. To add onto that, he made sure I knew that I was a necessity not a luxury.”

Texas has a need for immediate help along the defensive line, and Johnson is one of the Longhorns' top overall prospects on the board this cycle. So where does UT sit after this visit? “I’d say Texas stands higher on my list then they were prior to the visit,” Johnson said. “The culture stood out more than anything and that Coach Herman is a family oriented man. It just kind of trickles down the entire program, and it shows.”

Georgia is considered the leader for Johnson at this point in the process. He will make an official visit to Oregon this weekend and is also considering schools like Minnesota, Nebraska and Texas A&M. At 6-foot-6, 240 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 5 overall JUCO prospect in the country, per 247Sports.

I couldn't find any offers for him before JUCO.  Was it qualification or just a really late bloomer?

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

SIAP but which of our guys will be at the opening next weekend?  Floyd and Watson?

Watson is injured, may not participate. But yeah him and Floyd.

Shepherd and Jaylen Ellis will be there too, hopefully spreading the good word.

Edited by satyanash

IT

Spoiler

Off-season workouts and 7 on 7 continue and recruiting hits its final weekend before the dead period begins (6/25-7/24).

TEAM

We continue to hear the team is focused and working hard. Year 2 in Herman's program means players know what's expected of them. It means they're in better shape and can therefore ramp up the intensity in workouts even further.

Workouts are on a 'build up' to August camp. Next week, "voluntary" workouts will increase from four days a week to five; no more Wednesdays off. Each day consists of a lift and run. The lifts and types of running will differ each day.

Personal accountability is better than a year ago. While Texas lost some talent from last season, I don't think the losses are bad from a team cohesiveness standpoint. The team sounds as close as it has been in a long time. Players are working for each other and picking each other up.

The most consistently named player from a leadership standpoint we've heard is Andrew Beck. Sam Ehlinger is mentioned but he probably needs a little more consistency on the field but obviously the potential is there for this to become his team full stop.

Media day participants are a good sign of who the staff views as leaders. Most likely going to Dallas in July will be Beck, PJ Locke, Patrick Vahe, and Gary Johnson.

Locke is a hard-working program guy. Vahe has always jibed with Herman's culture. Promoting Vahe can't hurt Jake Langi's recruiting efforts. Johnson's infectious love for football precedes him. Giving him a platform is also a message to Juco players that you can come to Texas and not only experience success on the field but also become a face for the program. That's a huge contrast to the Juco ranks, akin to riding the bus in the minors before being thrown into the limelight of the big leagues.

The most interesting thing we heard regarding 7 on 7 this week is Malcolm Roach working at Mac. Recall that Anthony Wheeler will be suspended for the first half versus Maryland. This will play out well into August, but McCulloch has also worked at Mac.

[Last year all the talk was on the USC game, and then the entire program laid an egg against Maryland. The team is already watching film on Maryland this go 'round.]

We again asked who was doing well in 7 on 7. We again heard preferred walk-on Travis West's name. There is some real anticipation to see how he looks when the pads come on. One name who comes as no surprise is Lil'Jordan Humphrey. I heard, "he's always getting open, somehow some way. It's not bad coverage or bad technique." It probably isn't a coincidence that Humphrey and West both worked extensively with skills trainer Margin Hooks -- one of the few I'll personally vouch for. Those two are getting open against good players.

We hear 7 on 7 has been spirited but it's mostly basic, early install offense and defense being run. The competition is still fierce, however.

STATE OF RECRUITING - Timelines

Before we get into individual recruit timelines, we'll say we've heard from a number of sources the Heat Wave pool party was a success. It was more relaxed and more natural than last year. Parents and players sort of led the way more so than coaches last year. You can tell relationships between the players and coaches have become more natural and this will have a positive effect on recruiting.

Each recruit has his own unique process. His process affects his timeline for a decision. Understanding timelines and where Texas sits with each recruit is important to putting the whole puzzle together.

RB Noah Cain: The 5-foot-11, 210-pound 4-star tailback from IMG via Denton Guyer has been consistent with his December timeline. Texas has a shot here because Stan Drayton always gives you a chance. UT's battle was against LSU and Ohio State, now add Georgia to the mix. After his recent visit to Athens, the Bulldogs are the sleeper pick here. Further complicating matters, Louisiana running back John Emery may very well pull the surprise and pick Mississippi State. That would force LSU to turn up the heat on Cain further.

RB Deondrick Glass: Texas has taken the patient approach with the Katy runner. If they miss on Cain and Trey Sanders, the 5-foot-11, 200-pound tailback likely gets the full press. The 4-star has tallied 70 TDs in three years and holds 25+ offers with LSU and USC being big spring pick-ups. Texas may hold the edge here in light of the recent developments in Cain's recruitment. He'll take all five official visits, with Texas being one of them. Glass is likely in line for a December announcement.

RB Trey Sanders: The chances that Texas gets Sanders in for an official visit this fall are strong, but after that, all bets are off. When you're the nation's top RB, you call the shots. We're not exactly sure on his timeline, but we'll be watching to see where his brother, Umstead, decides to enroll for school. He's a 2018 Juco linebacker expected to go to Florida.

WR Elijah Higgins: On first blush this recruitment seems to have swung back in UT's favor, but he's taking an official visit to Ohio State this weekend. Texas looks better here than it did a month ago. We think the 4-star from the 512 will decide before the season but that doesn't appear set in stone. The good news here is UT seems to have the slightest of edges.

WR Dylan Wright: The highest ceiling/upside of any WR in-state for 2019 wants to take his sweet time. Wright enjoys the recruiting process, having taken over a dozen visits since the start of 2018. If Texas wants him, and they do, they'll have to wait until January. The day-to-day minutia of this one isn't worth your time but we'll keep you abreast of the overall, big-picture trend-line. Right now A&M or UT is probably most likely but he's fine going out-of-state as well. Basically, like on the field, he's wide open.

WR Marcus Washington: Despite never seeing Austin, Washington likes the Longhorns. Texas has built a decent reputation at Trinity Catholic in St. Louis, MO as it works to strengthen relationships. The plan today is for Washington to take an unofficial visit sometime after the dead period. He'd like to decide in August/September, so it's imperative to get him to the July event. He's a take over most of the outstanding wide receiver offers in this cycle.

WR Makiya Tongue: The consensus says the 4-star athlete is down to Georgia and Texas. But I think he's waiting for that LSU offer, and whether he gets it or not will better determine his timeline. Of note, his girlfriend is a heavily recruited basketball prospect UT has interest in. If LSU doesn't come through, or Georgia doesn't push, UT is the school to beat. 

OL Chris Akporoghene: After visiting for Heat Wave, the 4-star offensive lineman from IMG via Tennessee released his Top 5 which included Texas. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound guard/tackle loved Austin, but now wants to take his official visits. He's in no hurry to decide and with good senior film, this kid might add even bigger offers. He's just soaking it up.

OL Javonne Shepherd: This one is tricky. Could he pop this weekend? Sure. Could he commit during fall camp? Absolutely. Late fall? Why not. We do know he'll take all his officials whether he's pledged to a school or not. He's become THE in-state battle between UT and A&M, so all bets are off.

OL Stacey Wilkins: The highly-coveted offensive tackle from Arkansas has a few schools that stand out, with OU being his quiet leader. He's already pushed his decision date back a couple of times. He wants to take his officials, including another stop in Austin for the USC game. We'll guess sometime from early to mid season, unless a particular school pushes for it sooner. Stay tuned.

DL Faatui Tuitele: We just don't know how much of a shot Texas has here. Will he take all five OV's? Does it matter? With almost 40 offers, Alabama has the lead here with USC battling from second place. Unlees he visits Austin again it's moot for the Longhorns.

DL Taurean Carter: The 6-foot-3, 260-pounder from Mansfield Legacy is really focusing on two schools - Texas and TCU. Carter might wait to see what teammate and close friend Jalen Catalon does. Carter is a marginal take right now, but if Catalon decides its Texas, then I think Carter follows him. With Jalen's timeline in limbo, Carter's is probably too.

DL Jermaine Johnson: He's more of a must-get than fans realize. The future reality TV star - Independence CC is the school featured in the upcoming Last Chance U: Season 3 documentary - could play immediately on the 40 Acres, and he knows it. He has three official visits left after Oregon this weekend. He's already been to Colorado. We expect UT to land one. It looks to be a fall decision.

DL Jacoby Jones: With Texas offering just under a month ago an official visit is likely. NC State is the only official visit he's made to this point. We're just unsure exactly how hard Texas will press but that should clear up over time. It's lining up to be a fall decision, unless the Horns push.

LB Rian Davis: It all depends on if Georgia takes him. He'd like to commit before his senior year, so if the Dawgs push this might end sooner than later. If they drag it out, that only helps Texas. He has no problem coming back home to play college football, but the water in Florida has him convinced the SEC is the place. Texas did a great job of putting itself in position. For UT's sake, hopefully Georgia doesn't push hard for Johnson or Davis but it's doubtful the staff gets that lucky.

LB David Gbenda: He's pushed this back once, and despite the UT-A&M battle, we think he'd like to decide sooner than later. I think it boils down to who is actually pushing for his pledge. We'll say early in his senior season until told differently and he'll go to whoever is pushing hardest between UT and A&M.

LB Jaren Mangham: He just dropped a top 10 and Texas will likely make the top 5 cut. He might stay up north, but the Longhorns would take him right now. We'll dig deeper here.

LB Maninoa Tufonu: The big-time inside linebacker from the islands simply loved Austin on his trek through the the football parts of our country that included stops at Alabama and LSU. He told me he'll go home and narrow his list to a top 5. That final group of schools will also be where he takes official visits. I'm thinking a December decision, and despite the kind words "Texas takes care of Texas," there's no guarantee UT makes that list.

DB Marcus Caldwell: It's really not a question of if he flips to Texas but when. There's a chance he comes to Austin this weekend. The discussions are taking place. If he does, his decision is probably soon. If not, look for an August decision.

DB Chris Adimora: The 4-star stud from California has been enamored with Texas even before his offer. He's that West Coast prospect that really wants to play his college ball out-of-state where football is more appreciated. Texas looks really good here. Best guess: he drops his decision in early August.

DB Lewis Cine: Originally he was looking at an early pledge but now it appears December will be his target date. Penn State is the popular pick, but the Horns and coach Naivar have done a tremendous job here. He'll see Michigan this weekend. With his father moving to Texas next month, I like UT's chances even more.

DB Jeffrey Carter: This one will keep your head spinning. Alabama thinks they're getting him, while A&M feels the same. And yet, he still talks to Texas on a regular basis. Just buckle up because its likely one of those three schools and it could happen this summer. Texas has its hesitations but those have nothing to do with his ability. There's a chance Catalon, Carter, and Carter all play at the same school. There's only one school in which that would occur so even if Texas misses on J. Carter originally, there may be some long-term leverage points.

ATH Bru McCoy: The 5-star from Cali will take his official visits, with Texas getting one for the USC game in September. That date looms large in McCoy's eyes. UT is probably running 2nd, but they were very convincing during his unofficial visit in the spring. With DeGabriel Floyd's influence, the Horns have a shot. I'd expect a December decision after his five official visits.

As you can glean from reading this list, more priority targets will necessarily emerge, especially on the offensive line, at wide receiver, and probably linebacker.

• Like 1

(Eric Nahlin) Fridays in the Humidor: 6/22/18

STATE OF RECRUITING - Timelines

Before we get into individual recruit timelines, we'll say we've heard from a number of sources the Heat Wave pool party was a success. It was more relaxed and more natural than last year. Parents and players sort of led the way more so than coaches last year. You can tell relationships between the players and coaches have become more natural and this will have a positive effect on recruiting. Each recruit has his own unique process. His process affects his timeline for a decision. Understanding timelines and where Texas sits with each recruit is important to putting the whole puzzle together.

RB Noah Cain: The 5-foot-11, 210-pound 4-star tailback from IMG via Denton Guyer has been consistent with his December timeline. Texas has a shot here because Stan Drayton always gives you a chance. UT's battle was against LSU and Ohio State, now add Georgia to the mix. After his recent visit to Athens, the Bulldogs are the sleeper pick here. Further complicating matters, Louisiana running back John Emery may very well pull the surprise and pick Mississippi State. That would force LSU to turn up the heat on Cain further.

RB Deondrick Glass: Texas has taken the patient approach with the Katy runner. If they miss on Cain and Trey Sanders, the 5-foot-11, 200-pound tailback likely gets the full press. The 4-star has tallied 70 TDs in three years and holds 25+ offers with LSU and USC being big spring pick-ups. Texas may hold the edge here in light of the recent developments in Cain's recruitment. He'll take all five official visits, with Texas being one of them. Glass is likely in line for a December announcement.

RB Trey Sanders: The chances that Texas gets Sanders in for an official visit this fall are strong, but after that, all bets are off. When you're the nation's top RB, you call the shots. We're not exactly sure on his timeline, but we'll be watching to see where his brother, Umstead, decides to enroll for school. He's a 2018 Juco linebacker expected to go to Florida.

WR Elijah Higgins: On first blush this recruitment seems to have swung back in UT's favor, but he's taking an official visit to Ohio State this weekend. Texas looks better here than it did a month ago. We think the 4-star from the 512 will decide before the season but that doesn't appear set in stone. The good news here is UT seems to have the slightest of edges.

WR Dylan Wright: The highest ceiling/upside of any WR in-state for 2019 wants to take his sweet time. Wright enjoys the recruiting process, having taken over a dozen visits since the start of 2018. If Texas wants him, and they do, they'll have to wait until January. The day-to-day minutia of this one isn't worth your time but we'll keep you abreast of the overall, big-picture trend-line. Right now A&M or UT is probably most likely but he's fine going out-of-state as well. Basically, like on the field, he's wide open.

WR Marcus Washington: Despite never seeing Austin, Washington likes the Longhorns. Texas has built a decent reputation at Trinity Catholic in St. Louis, MO as it works to strengthen relationships. The plan today is for Washington to take an unofficial visit sometime after the dead period. He'd like to decide in August/September, so it's imperative to get him to the July event. He's a take over most of the outstanding wide receiver offers in this cycle.

WR Makiya Tongue: The consensus says the 4-star athlete is down to Georgia and Texas. But I think he's waiting for that LSU offer, and whether he gets it or not will better determine his timeline. Of note, his girlfriend is a heavily recruited basketball prospect UT has interest in. If LSU doesn't come through, or Georgia doesn't push, UT is the school to beat. 

OL Chris Akporoghene: After visiting for Heat Wave, the 4-star offensive lineman from IMG via Tennessee released his Top 5 which included Texas. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound guard/tackle loved Austin, but now wants to take his official visits. He's in no hurry to decide and with good senior film, this kid might add even bigger offers. He's just soaking it up.

OL Javonne Shepherd: This one is tricky. Could he pop this weekend? Sure. Could he commit during fall camp? Absolutely. Late fall? Why not. We do know he'll take all his officials whether he's pledged to a school or not. He's become THE in-state battle between UT and A&M, so all bets are off.

OL Stacey Wilkins: The highly-coveted offensive tackle from Arkansas has a few schools that stand out, with OU being his quiet leader. He's already pushed his decision date back a couple of times. He wants to take his officials, including another stop in Austin for the USC game. We'll guess sometime from early to mid season, unless a particular school pushes for it sooner. Stay tuned.

DL Faatui Tuitele: We just don't know how much of a shot Texas has here. Will he take all five OV's? Does it matter? With almost 40 offers, Alabama has the lead here with USC battling from second place. Unlees he visits Austin again it's moot for the Longhorns.

DL Taurean Carter: The 6-foot-3, 260-pounder from Mansfield Legacy is really focusing on two schools - Texas and TCU. Carter might wait to see what teammate and close friend Jalen Catalon does. Carter is a marginal take right now, but if Catalon decides its Texas, then I think Carter follows him. With Jalen's timeline in limbo, Carter's is probably too.

DL Jermaine Johnson: He's more of a must-get than fans realize. The future reality TV star - Independence CC is the school featured in the upcoming Last Chance U: Season 3 documentary - could play immediately on the 40 Acres, and he knows it. He has three official visits left after Oregon this weekend. He's already been to Colorado. We expect UT to land one. It looks to be a fall decision.

DL Jacoby Jones: With Texas offering just under a month ago an official visit is likely. NC State is the only official visit he's made to this point. We're just unsure exactly how hard Texas will press but that should clear up over time. It's lining up to be a fall decision, unless the Horns push.

LB Rian Davis: It all depends on if Georgia takes him. He'd like to commit before his senior year, so if the Dawgs push this might end sooner than later. If they drag it out, that only helps Texas. He has no problem coming back home to play college football, but the water in Florida has him convinced the SEC is the place. Texas did a great job of putting itself in position. For UT's sake, hopefully Georgia doesn't push hard for Johnson or Davis but it's doubtful the staff gets that lucky.

LB David Gbenda: He's pushed this back once, and despite the UT-A&M battle, we think he'd like to decide sooner than later. I think it boils down to who is actually pushing for his pledge. We'll say early in his senior season until told differently and he'll go to whoever is pushing hardest between UT and A&M.

LB Jaren Mangham: He just dropped a top 10 and Texas will likely make the top 5 cut. He might stay up north, but the Longhorns would take him right now. We'll dig deeper here.

LB Maninoa Tufonu: The big-time inside linebacker from the islands simply loved Austin on his trek through the the football parts of our country that included stops at Alabama and LSU. He told me he'll go home and narrow his list to a top 5. That final group of schools will also be where he takes official visits. I'm thinking a December decision, and despite the kind words "Texas takes care of Texas," there's no guarantee UT makes that list.

DB Marcus Caldwell: It's really not a question of if he flips to Texas but when. There's a chance he comes to Austin this weekend. The discussions are taking place. If he does, his decision is probably soon. If not, look for an August decision.

DB Chris Adimora: The 4-star stud from California has been enamored with Texas even before his offer. He's that West Coast prospect that really wants to play his college ball out-of-state where football is more appreciated. Texas looks really good here. Best guess: he drops his decision in early August.

DB Lewis Cine: Originally he was looking at an early pledge but now it appears December will be his target date. Penn State is the popular pick, but the Horns and coach Naivar have done a tremendous job here. He'll see Michigan this weekend. With his father moving to Texas next month, I like UT's chances even more.

DB Jeffrey Carter: This one will keep your head spinning. Alabama thinks they're getting him, while A&M feels the same. And yet, he still talks to Texas on a regular basis. Just buckle up because its likely one of those three schools and it could happen this summer. Texas has its hesitations but those have nothing to do with his ability. There's a chance Catalon, Carter, and Carter all play at the same school. There's only one school in which that would occur so even if Texas misses on J. Carter originally, there may be some long-term leverage points.

ATH Bru McCoy: The 5-star from Cali will take his official visits, with Texas getting one for the USC game in September. That date looms large in McCoy's eyes. UT is probably running 2nd, but they were very convincing during his unofficial visit in the spring. With DeGabriel Floyd's influence, the Horns have a shot. I'd expect a December decision after his five official visits.

As you can glean from reading this list, more priority targets will necessarily emerge, especially on the offensive line, at wide receiver, and probably linebacker.

• Like 2

These offseason practice reports are less than worthless. The players are more focused than last year. They players look stronger and faster and better than this time last year. These are either outright fabricated or so spun up with bullshit one could not tell the difference. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Watson is injured, may not participate. But yeah him and Floyd.

Shepherd and Jaylen Ellis will be there too, hopefully spreading the good word.

Watson will be there but yes he's injured and won't participate. He said he's going to go recruit. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

These offseason practice reports are less than worthless. The players are more focused than last year. They players look stronger and faster and better than this time last year. These are either outright fabricated or so spun up with bullshit one could not tell the difference. 

Same shit every summer. Same thing happens when a new strength coach is hired. All bullshit

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think I’ve ever read a negative Spring or Summer practice report 

Well, what is there about a rolling ball of fuck lions, or a pride of butcher knives, that could possibly be negative?  "These guys are too awesome for their own good?"

Some people are never satisfied.

🍿

Edited by Walden Ponderer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not going to lie, I really like the reports I'm hearing about the team this summer. Definitely seems like a different vibe from previous seasons. Sounds like the players have fully bought in. That's why I subscribe to all the premium sites, to get the real scoop on the team. 

God dammit this is a funny post. 

Not going to lie, I really like the reports I'm hearing about the team this summer. Definitely seems like a different vibe from previous seasons. Sounds like the players have fully bought in. That's why I subscribe to all the premium sites, to get the real scoop on the team. 

Scorpio always delivers the goods.

31 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

At this point, all I want to do first is beat Maryland.  And hope to god Maryland isn't this year's version of Notre Dame last time.

I dont care how sucky Maryland is, I just hope we beat them. We have to be at least 2-1 OOC

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

E.J. Holland's Big Board: Tight Ends

With the spring evaluation period over and done with, it’s time to reset the big boards and look at where Texas stands with its targets at each position. We continue the series by taking a look at tight end recruiting.

Commits:

Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (AZ) — Liebrock committed to Texas last month and filled a big position of need. One of the best pass catching tight end recruits in the country, Liebrock will bring a different element to Austin and could see extended playing time early on in his career. Liebrock does need to keep adding weight and working on his blocking but as a receiver, you’d be hard pressed to find a better option. This was one of the most important lands of the cycle for Texas.

Jared Wiley, Temple — Wiley is a solid second tight end take. While he didn’t have a ton of offers, Wiley is a tall, athletic project prospect with a ton of potential. Wiley had the frame to put on around 40 pounds at the next level and could turn into a key in-line player in a few years. Wiley plays quarterback at the high school level and is also a great baseball player, so the athletic upside is certainly there as well. Wiley, who also committed to Texas last month, plans to graduate in December and enroll early.

Top Targets:

None

Offered Prospects:

Larry Hodges, Tampa Jesuit (Fla.) — Texas is done at tight end if both Liebrock and Wiley stay committed. But Hodges is an intriguing prospect that could be a take at another position. At 6-foot-1, 234 pounds, Hodges has the potential to play fullback or linebacker at the next level. He is currently committed to Miami but has talked about making an official visit to Texas in the fall.

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

With the spring evaluation period over and done with, it’s time to reset the big boards and look at where Texas stands with its targets at each position. We continue the series by taking a look at tight end recruiting.

Commits:

Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (AZ) — Liebrock committed to Texas last month and filled a big position of need. One of the best pass catching tight end recruits in the country, Liebrock will bring a different element to Austin and could see extended playing time early on in his career. Liebrock does need to keep adding weight and working on his blocking but as a receiver, you’d be hard pressed to find a better option. This was one of the most important lands of the cycle for Texas.

Jared Wiley, Temple — Wiley is a solid second tight end take. While he didn’t have a ton of offers, Wiley is a tall, athletic project prospect with a ton of potential. Wiley had the frame to put on around 40 pounds at the next level and could turn into a key in-line player in a few years. Wiley plays quarterback at the high school level and is also a great baseball player, so the athletic upside is certainly there as well. Wiley, who also committed to Texas last month, plans to graduate in December and enroll early.

Top Targets:

None

Offered Prospects:

Larry Hodges, Tampa Jesuit (Fla.) — Texas is done at tight end if both Liebrock and Wiley stay committed. But Hodges is an intriguing prospect that could be a take at another position. At 6-foot-1, 234 pounds, Hodges has the potential to play fullback or linebacker at the next level. He is currently committed to Miami but has talked about making an official visit to Texas in the fall.

Another example of having nothing to say, but still needing to write shit down 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Commits:

Top Targets:

None

Offered Prospects:

1,234 pounds? He can play the whole OL simultaneously. Talk about a spread offense...

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Commits:

Top Targets:

None

Offered Prospects:

I did not think these pay sites could write something more worthless than made up practice reports. 

I was wrong. 

Mike Roach: Texas makes big impression on DL target Taurean Carter

The Texas Heat Wave was meant to be a family event. And Taurean Carter brought the whole family. The three-star Mansfield Legacy defensive lineman was tasked with unloading a stroller from the shuttle bus for a younger sibling before taking time to speak with media in attendance. With a big smile on his face, Carter went into detail about how much he enjoyed the event. “It was great,” Carter said. “There was great team bonding with the players. We played a little basketball and just had some time with the boys.”

For Carter, it was his first Texas visit since receiving his offer back in May. Now that he’s an official target, he said he noticed how much he was recognized by different people on campus. “People just notice you,” he said. “Quite a few people knew my name before I even got out here. I got to meet new people. Once you get that offer man, the players who have been offered and are already committed are trying to recruit you. That makes the decision even harder.”

Carter spent some time with Texas commit T’Vondre Sweat, who gave him the pitch. The day went so well that Carter named the Longhorns in his top two schools along with TCU. One thing that stood out to him was the scheme fit and need for his versatility. That, along with the tradition, has the Longhorns surging in his recruitment. “It’s a lot of attention," he said. "I mean, it's Texas. Just the environment and the situation they have going for themselves. It’s a winning attitude and the possibility of a national championship.”

Carter plans to cut his list of schools down soon in order to determine his official visits. He will announce his decision on October 24. At 6-foot-3, 260 pounds, Carter is ranked as the No. 39 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 68 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.