Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Think that's moms boyfriend.  Didn't papa Leal come to the Texas OV and then made a twitter that we all thought was DeMarvin creating a 2nd one?
Yeah, don't know about all that, but pretty sure aggy has taken care of everyone involved with that kid, or at least attempted.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Who in the fuck roots for Mexico AND Germany? 

America’s biggest rival AND the front runners? 

Thats like saying you root for the Eagles and the Patriots. Or OU and Alabama. 

What a dick

Well the E in EJ is for Enrique so I think he has a pretty good reason to cheer for Mexico...

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Well, lots of Germans intermarried with Mexicans.

It's why Mexican music is polka based, and sucks compared to the rest of Latin American music.

And my wife pissed off the whole family by rooting for Germany after Mexico won, because "she felt sorry for Germany".

Who the fuck feels sorry for German soccer?

Nihilists

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Well, lots of Germans intermarried with Mexicans.

It's why Mexican music is polka based, and sucks compared to the rest of Latin American music.

And my wife pissed off the whole family by rooting for Germany after Mexico won, because "she felt sorry for Germany".

Who the fuck feels sorry for German soccer?

Sylvester Stallone does not feel sorry for German soccer.  He says, ”Heeey,  Fuck You Jerry!”

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What a dick

I do! I was born in and spent most of my school years in Germany and my wife is Mexican! Sooooo there’s that...........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

Dad's thinking about the new Audi being parked in his driveway in Cibolo while that picture was being taken.

I know that we all make jokes about stuff like this, but are we just slandering the kids dad because he chose Aggie?  

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What a dick

Maybe EJ is fond of history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What a dick

My guess is you have never really followed soccer if you think Mexico is somehow a front runner. . 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

IT on Caldwell:

MARQUES CALDWELL

Texas has one cornerback in its 2019 class; Kenyatta Watson II (Grayson, GA). They want at least one more.

So while Spring Dekaney's Marcus Banks pledged to the Bayou Bengals, they set their sights on Alvin's Caldwell. The 6-foot-2, 175-pound 3-star plays a little more like a 4-star in the Holton Hill mold. Long legged, long arms, and hips that flip. And while he's still committed to Oregon, I'm confident that's temporary at best.

He had a long and productive discussion with CB coach Jason Washington this weekend and things continue to trend well for the Horns.

“Texas has a huge tradition," said Caldwell. "Just look at the past athletes. And even the athletes they have now get the best coaching from the best coaches in the country.”

Caldwell tells me he'll sit down with his parents this week and decide his next move. Honestly, I think it's only a matter of time. But it is recruiting. I asked what was one thing that really stands out about Texas.

“Everything is about the players.”

It's about that time for UT to land CB No. 2 in the Class of 2019, if you ask me.

OB War Room - M.Tufono, L.Cine, J.Wiley

(From Suchomel)

One of the more interesting visitors for last weekend’s Heat Wave pool party was Hawaiian linebacker 
Maninoa Tufono. One of the country’s top prospects, Tufono lies just outside the Rivals100 rankings so he’s clearly a player with talent. In talking to him after the Heat Wave event, he’s also a player who seems to possess a tremendous amount of maturity, and it’s easy to see why Texas is making him a recruiting priority.

Landing Tufono would give Texas a terrific middle linebacker prospect, but Tufono said the Texas staff, including recruiting assistant Jake Langi, have stressed to him that he could help the program open doors to other Hawaiian players.

“He (Langi) is a Polynesian guy that I can relate to. There’s not much Polynesian guys here, not many guys from Hawaii, but I’m willing to make my own name, start my own tradition and build my own pipeline for Polynesians and kids from Hawaii,” Tufono said. “They said they want someone to start building that Polynesian pipeline and Hawaiin pipeline. Me and guys like 
Faatui Tuitele, we’re trying to do something like that.”

Tufono followed up his Texas visit with a stop at LSU and he’ll be at Alabama this weekend. Those programs will almost certainly impress, but there’s no denying that Texas made a strong impression of its own. After the pool party ended, Tufono and his family went and loaded up on UT gear before Tufono returned for some more time around the UT staff on Saturday night.

“Today was unbelievable,” Tufono said while on his visit. “First of all, I’m just grateful for the staff here and for bringing me and my family in to spend time with them and keep building our relationship with them. It was great talking to coach Herman. I’ve known coach Herman, and just building my relationship as the recruiting process, as I start to close it down.”

So where does Texas fit in after Saturday’s visit?

“I have to say that they’re up there. They’re close to the top of my schools right now. I just felt the love and the family atmosphere here, and just the national championship mentality that they have.”

Tofuno raved about several elements of the Texas program, including the facilities, but it sounds like the UT staff did a great job in perhaps the two most important areas for the talented linebacker – relationships and showcasing Texas’ academic strengths.

“Definitely the coaching staff, the entire staff here from the tutors to recruiting, it’s all family. When they say Texas takes care of Texas, I’ve seen it and it’s all true,” Tufono said. “It was great to see the family atmosphere. The facilities obviously blow you away, but first and foremost it’s the coaching staff and the family atmosphere here.”

After he finishes up this weekend’s Alabama visit, Tufono and his family will return home and he’ll begin work on trimming his list to five schools. Those finalists will get official visits in the fall.

I asked Tofuno if he could say what UT’s chances were of making the top five and getting him back on campus?

“I want to say of course, it’s a great school, but I’ll let everyone know when my top five comes out,” he said.

When it comes time to decide, Tofuno, who holds offers from more than 40 programs, said a couple different factors will weigh heavily into his decision.

“First of all, it’s education. I’m looking for a prestigious education that will set me up for the rest of my life,” Tofuno said. “And then secondly, it’s just football and the coaching staff, me getting to know them, building my relationship with all the coaches so that when I’m here I come in, I learn, play, I graduate and then live my life.”

Tofuno’s an intelligent and mature kid so it’s hard to read between the lines too much on his answers, but the vibe I got in talking to him while he was on campus is one that makes me think Texas will be in his top five and should get a return visit. We’ll see.

Rivals100 safety Lewis Cine was pretty open about his Texas visit going well (see our report here if you missed it), and this is another race that looks like it should involve Texas all the way down to the finish line.

Early in the process, before Cine moved to Texas from Massachusetts, people who had covered his recruitment thought he’d likely go to college somewhere back east. Penn State was usually mentioned, with schools like Michigan and Florida also discussed.

I can’t say I knew too much about Cine before his move to Cedar Hill in March, but since that time he’s become a top UT target, he’s been on the Texas campus a couple times and he speaks very highly of the Longhorns every time I ask him about them.

Last weekend, Cine was joined on his Texas official visit by his father and his brother. As I noted on the board earlier in the week, his father is close to moving from Massachusetts to Texas, which Cine said would enhance the chances he stays in the Lone Star State for college.

“My dad is moving down here. He really liked it, saw how it’s a different lifestyle from up north, really,” Cine said.

Cine will visit Michigan this weekend and said he’ll probably visit Florida and Georgia in the fall.

Jared Wiley was back on campus last weekend for his first visit since committing in late May. Everything went well for the Temple tight end.

“It was a lot of fun. I felt like a little kid again” Wiley said. “Just being around everybody (was the highlight), getting comfortable with everybody. This is family now, so I have to be comfortable with them.”

Wiley said he hung out with most of the committed guys who were around, specifically Roschon Johnson and Kenyatta Watson. He’ll graduate in December and said his focus this summer is on knocking out a couple classes while staying in the weight room.

“I just have to keep my head straight, my workouts, taking things more seriously than I used to,” Wiley said. “I’m still in summer school right now, so I’m pretty busy. I just have to keep my head on straight.”

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What a dick

I've got a Mexican girlfriend so I'm rooting for Mexico. Don't care if that makes me a dick. We should have fucking qualified.

3 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

I've got a Mexican girlfriend so I'm rooting for Mexico. Don't care if that makes me a dick. We should have fucking qualified.

I think you stopped reading after Mexico was mentioned. I followed that with "AND Germany" which changes the meaning of the sentence.