Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Eric Nahlin on recruits he thinks the staff should recruit harder

I would go harder after Kennedy Lewis, the WR from Melissa who just committed to TCU. He could be an X because of size and ball skills but I think he also has the speed to be a Z. He would be good Dylan Wright insurance. I also like Zach Zimos if they miss on Rian Davis. They don't really want a B-backer but I think Zimos has tons of untapped potential. I like OT Beaux Limmer who is committed to Arkansas, too.

The Stampede: Inside look at how UT evaluates CB recruits

Jason Washington is a rising star on the recruiting trail. The Texas cornerbacks coach helped the Longhorns reel in a historic defensive back haul last cycle that included elite corners Anthony Cook, Jalen Green and D’shawn Jamison and earned Big 12 Recruiter of the Year honors. So what does Washington look for when evaluating prospects at the cornerback position for a school with a rich tradition at the position?

“Of course, you want size and speed,” Washington said. “I would say this is a stopwatch position. Guys need to be able to run. The taller the better. Change of direction is a big thing. I would say those three things are the things I really look at when making evaluations. After that, it’s intangibles like ball skills and asking questions to those that are around them. Personality is a big one. You have to have a little swagger and cockiness. You also have to have a forgetful attitude.”

Washington has a reputation as a relationship builder and a guy that can really relate to recruits. But something that’s a key selling point is his resume as a developer of talent. As the game of football has evolved, Washington has made it a priority to find recruits he can get the most out of in Austin. “This game has changed so much that there are no more cover corners,” Washington said. “You have to be a combination. Offenses are getting bigger receivers and making corners tackle. You want complete corners not just cover guys. I think it’s pretty tough to evaluate this position because at the next level it’s all about development. The initial evaluation is always important, but you have to look at a guy’s ceiling and how hard he’s going to work once he gets to the next level.”

Washington’s NFL products include William Jackson (Bengals), Brandon Wilson (Bengals), Howard Wilson (Browns), Phillip Gaines (Chiefs), Bryce Callahan (Chargers), Craig Mager (Chargers) and Darryl Morris (Colts). All of those aforementioned players were three-star recruits or lower, including a couple of unranked players. With the talent he is bringing in at Texas, Washington can help craft the Texas secondary into something truly special and really bring back the 'DBU' moniker. (Holland)

The dead period is officially upon us. So what exactly does that mean for Texas recruiting? Well, things should slow down considerably. After all, Texas cannot host recruits for visits throughout the period, which runs from June 25-July 24, and will have restrictions on contact with prospects. Still, coaches can email and call recruits or their parents during the dead period and recruits can reach out to coaches in the same way. But there will be no type of in-person face time over the next month. The dead period will feature two major recruiting events in the State 7v7 tournament and The Opening. Both should provide us with plenty of news and nuggets as the Longhorns will continue to push behind the scenes.

There doesn’t appear to be any imminent commitments, but one recruit to keep an eye on is Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell, who is looking to solidify his plans for the next level soon. Caldwell has been committed to the Ducks for a while, but he had a great conversation with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington over the weekend, and the Longhorns are giving him a lot to think about. And of course, Javonne Shepherd is always worth monitoring. He originally planned to make a decision this month and appears to be getting tired of the process. Texas is still in a very good position here.

Shortly after the dead period comes to an end, we expect Texas to have its annual Under The Lights camp for underclassmen. Remember, some key guys in the current cycle usually show up to this event as well. August could be busy as prospects like Elijah Higgins, Rian Davis and Chris Adimora are expect to make decisions. (Holland)

I spoke with a few sources to get a status check on where several out-of-state regional targets were in their recruitments as we head into the summer dead period.

—Camden Fairvew (Ark.) offensive lineman Stacey Wilkins is still taking the process slowly. The Longhorns are still slated to get an official visit, and they are holding ground in his recruitment. Texas will have a chance to really blow him away once they get him on campus, but the question is: 'Will be enough?' Sources we spoke with indicated that Oklahoma still holds the lead for his services, and from what we were told, there are many around Wilkins that want him to end up a Sooner. Though the Razorback draw is usually strong in Arkansas, there’s word that those at his school are extremely pro-OU. It will be a lot to overcome, but the Longhorns have a chance once they get him on campus during the fall.

—Little Rock Joe T. Robinson (Ark.) DE/OLB Zach Williams took a couple of official visits over the summer. I spoke with a source very close to his recruitment who said that TCU really impressed on his official visit. Williams wants to be a veterinarian, and the TCU staff really zeroed in on that. Williams went to the Fort Worth zoo on the visit, and he received special access to some of the vets and staff there. That said, there’s still a lot of optimism on Texas once he makes his official visit. He doesn’t have a date set up yet, but the source I spoke with indicated that Williams has a very high interest in Texas. It seems as this one is boiling down to a Texas/TCU battle, and from what I was told, Oregon State is probably in there as well. I also asked about Arkansas in the race for him, but I was again told that they weren’t a serious factor.

—IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain is technically an out-of-state prospect, despite the fact that he played his early high school ball at Denton Guyer. I spoke with a source close to his recruitment who indicated that Georgia was becoming a very serious player. What once looked like a three-horse race between Texas, Ohio State and LSU is broadening out. Aside from Georgia, we are also told that Penn State is making a big impression as well. Cain is still in the process of narrowing down his final schools, and I was told that LSU and Texas are schools he will be watching closely during the season to see how things progress. Texas should still have optimism, but things become muddier when more teams are involved.

—I asked a Louisiana source once again about where things are with Baton Rouge University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. This source confirmed to me that Georgia made a big impression on his visit, and the Bulldogs are probably in the lead at the moment. Georgia has a strong pitch considering they just played in the national championship game. I was told that those around Tongue prefer Georgia, but they aren’t against Texas. What’s interesting is that it is Tongue’s faith in Tom Herman and the Texas coaching staff that’s keeping the Longhorns in the hunt. Texas already used its official visit, so the Longhorns would need to get him on campus unofficially during the season to rekindle the good feeling he had coming out of his official visit.

—I checked in with a source regarding New Orleans Warren Easton (La.) cornerback Chester Kimbrough, and there isn’t much there. The Longhorns had a chance in the spring when they originally offered, but they were unable to get Kimbrough on campus. Florida had heavy momentum until this past weekend when LSU offered. The source indicated that Florida was still in the lead, but LSU could overtake them very quickly. Kimbrough was previously only considering one official visit, so it looks like Texas might be out unless its gets him in for a fall official.

—Texas also recently offered four-star 2020 athlete Joel Williams of Baton Rouge’s Madison Prep (La.). A source close to him indicated that it’s pretty early on his recruitment, but Texas was able to impress him when he was on the visit earlier this month. Williams is coached by Mike Roach (not me), the father of Texas defensive end Malcolm Roach. Roach hosted Williams on his visit to Austin, so the Texas coaches will try to work that angle. LSU offered Williams last week, and the feeling is that the hometown pull might be too strong. (Roach)

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Jason Washington is a fucking genius. All you look for in a DB is: 

Size

Speed

Height

Quickness

Ball Skills

Intangibles 

If you have all of those things, chances are you might be a pretty good DB. 

Let's not hate on one our best coaches and recruiters for giving a generic answer to a broad question

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

40 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Jason Washington is a fucking genius. All you look for in a DB is: 

Size

Speed

Height

Quickness

Ball Skills

Intangibles 

If you have all of those things, chances are you might be a pretty good DB. 

No forearms? Throw him out with Mehringer and Beck.

Edited by Bevo14

On 6/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, DeweyCox said:

I’ll give you bout tree fiddy if you use these in a write up this week:

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

You look so good in love.

Take on me. Take me on. I’ll be gone in a day or two.

What’s new pussycat?

Here it is

https://utdonors.thefootballbrainiacs.com/jaylen-ellis-interview-quotes-and-more/

• Like 3

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

The Stampede: Inside look at how UT evaluates CB recruits

Reveal hidden contents

Jason Washington is a rising star on the recruiting trail. The Texas cornerbacks coach helped the Longhorns reel in a historic defensive back haul last cycle that included elite corners Anthony Cook, Jalen Green and D’shawn Jamison and earned Big 12 Recruiter of the Year honors. So what does Washington look for when evaluating prospects at the cornerback position for a school with a rich tradition at the position?

“Of course, you want size and speed,” Washington said. “I would say this is a stopwatch position. Guys need to be able to run. The taller the better. Change of direction is a big thing. I would say those three things are the things I really look at when making evaluations. After that, it’s intangibles like ball skills and asking questions to those that are around them. Personality is a big one. You have to have a little swagger and cockiness. You also have to have a forgetful attitude.”

Washington has a reputation as a relationship builder and a guy that can really relate to recruits. But something that’s a key selling point is his resume as a developer of talent. As the game of football has evolved, Washington has made it a priority to find recruits he can get the most out of in Austin. “This game has changed so much that there are no more cover corners,” Washington said. “You have to be a combination. Offenses are getting bigger receivers and making corners tackle. You want complete corners not just cover guys. I think it’s pretty tough to evaluate this position because at the next level it’s all about development. The initial evaluation is always important, but you have to look at a guy’s ceiling and how hard he’s going to work once he gets to the next level.”

Washington’s NFL products include William Jackson (Bengals), Brandon Wilson (Bengals), Howard Wilson (Browns), Phillip Gaines (Chiefs), Bryce Callahan (Chargers), Craig Mager (Chargers) and Darryl Morris (Colts). All of those aforementioned players were three-star recruits or lower, including a couple of unranked players. With the talent he is bringing in at Texas, Washington can help craft the Texas secondary into something truly special and really bring back the 'DBU' moniker. (Holland)

The dead period is officially upon us. So what exactly does that mean for Texas recruiting? Well, things should slow down considerably. After all, Texas cannot host recruits for visits throughout the period, which runs from June 25-July 24, and will have restrictions on contact with prospects. Still, coaches can email and call recruits or their parents during the dead period and recruits can reach out to coaches in the same way. But there will be no type of in-person face time over the next month. The dead period will feature two major recruiting events in the State 7v7 tournament and The Opening. Both should provide us with plenty of news and nuggets as the Longhorns will continue to push behind the scenes.

There doesn’t appear to be any imminent commitments, but one recruit to keep an eye on is Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell, who is looking to solidify his plans for the next level soon. Caldwell has been committed to the Ducks for a while, but he had a great conversation with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington over the weekend, and the Longhorns are giving him a lot to think about. And of course, Javonne Shepherd is always worth monitoring. He originally planned to make a decision this month and appears to be getting tired of the process. Texas is still in a very good position here.

Shortly after the dead period comes to an end, we expect Texas to have its annual Under The Lights camp for underclassmen. Remember, some key guys in the current cycle usually show up to this event as well. August could be busy as prospects like Elijah Higgins, Rian Davis and Chris Adimora are expect to make decisions. (Holland)

I spoke with a few sources to get a status check on where several out-of-state regional targets were in their recruitments as we head into the summer dead period.

—Camden Fairvew (Ark.) offensive lineman Stacey Wilkins is still taking the process slowly. The Longhorns are still slated to get an official visit, and they are holding ground in his recruitment. Texas will have a chance to really blow him away once they get him on campus, but the question is: 'Will be enough?' Sources we spoke with indicated that Oklahoma still holds the lead for his services, and from what we were told, there are many around Wilkins that want him to end up a Sooner. Though the Razorback draw is usually strong in Arkansas, there’s word that those at his school are extremely pro-OU. It will be a lot to overcome, but the Longhorns have a chance once they get him on campus during the fall.

—Little Rock Joe T. Robinson (Ark.) DE/OLB Zach Williams took a couple of official visits over the summer. I spoke with a source very close to his recruitment who said that TCU really impressed on his official visit. Williams wants to be a veterinarian, and the TCU staff really zeroed in on that. Williams went to the Fort Worth zoo on the visit, and he received special access to some of the vets and staff there. That said, there’s still a lot of optimism on Texas once he makes his official visit. He doesn’t have a date set up yet, but the source I spoke with indicated that Williams has a very high interest in Texas. It seems as this one is boiling down to a Texas/TCU battle, and from what I was told, Oregon State is probably in there as well. I also asked about Arkansas in the race for him, but I was again told that they weren’t a serious factor.

—IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain is technically an out-of-state prospect, despite the fact that he played his early high school ball at Denton Guyer. I spoke with a source close to his recruitment who indicated that Georgia was becoming a very serious player. What once looked like a three-horse race between Texas, Ohio State and LSU is broadening out. Aside from Georgia, we are also told that Penn State is making a big impression as well. Cain is still in the process of narrowing down his final schools, and I was told that LSU and Texas are schools he will be watching closely during the season to see how things progress. Texas should still have optimism, but things become muddier when more teams are involved.

—I asked a Louisiana source once again about where things are with Baton Rouge University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. This source confirmed to me that Georgia made a big impression on his visit, and the Bulldogs are probably in the lead at the moment. Georgia has a strong pitch considering they just played in the national championship game. I was told that those around Tongue prefer Georgia, but they aren’t against Texas. What’s interesting is that it is Tongue’s faith in Tom Herman and the Texas coaching staff that’s keeping the Longhorns in the hunt. Texas already used its official visit, so the Longhorns would need to get him on campus unofficially during the season to rekindle the good feeling he had coming out of his official visit.

—I checked in with a source regarding New Orleans Warren Easton (La.) cornerback Chester Kimbrough, and there isn’t much there. The Longhorns had a chance in the spring when they originally offered, but they were unable to get Kimbrough on campus. Florida had heavy momentum until this past weekend when LSU offered. The source indicated that Florida was still in the lead, but LSU could overtake them very quickly. Kimbrough was previously only considering one official visit, so it looks like Texas might be out unless its gets him in for a fall official.

—Texas also recently offered four-star 2020 athlete Joel Williams of Baton Rouge’s Madison Prep (La.). A source close to him indicated that it’s pretty early on his recruitment, but Texas was able to impress him when he was on the visit earlier this month. Williams is coached by Mike Roach (not me), the father of Texas defensive end Malcolm Roach. Roach hosted Williams on his visit to Austin, so the Texas coaches will try to work that angle. LSU offered Williams last week, and the feeling is that the hometown pull might be too strong. (Roach)

That Zach Williams piece sounds pretty promising for us.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

This barely counts as UT news at this point, but it's the dead period. Looks like some asshole reporter stole Chris Steele's thunder:

I thought OU had a chance as well. He was playing the game. Price you pay going after those So. Cal. kids. Damn near always USC locks. 

EJ after dark: Can Texas flip Caldwell from Oregon?

— There was a lot of buzz in regards to Oregon commit Marques Caldwell this weekend. And yes, as you now know, he did make it in for a visit before the dead period. Texas made a big impression on him and his family. I’m told that Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington really won over Caldwell’s mother and that the three-star prospect bought into Tom Herman’s vision of the program. I still feel very confident that Texas will seal the deal and steal him from the Ducks. Caldwell told me the overall experience in Austin was ‘amazing.’

— Four-star Trinity Christian Cedar Hill safety Lewis Cine made an official visit to Michigan over the weekend. I am told that Cine enjoyed his trip to Ann Arbor and meshed well with the coaching staff. However, I still like where Texas stands in this recruitment and feel like Penn State remains the biggest threat. With Cine pushing back his decision, I expect the Longhorns to get him on campus a few times this fall as they continue to surge in this recruitment.

— I am told that Texas is still actively recruiting four-star Warren Easton (La.) cornerback Chester Kimbrough. But as Mike reported in The Stampede, there isn’t much there. LSU was a big offer for Kimbrough, and Florida remains a major player in his recruitment. It doesn’t appear that there will be much movement with Texas unless they get him on campus right after the dead period.

— Five-star 2020 defensive back Dwight McGlothern is set to release his top schools soon. I feel like Texas will survive the cut, but schools like Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M appear to be in a better position at this time. Still, Texas will likely get him on campus before the end of summer and his recent move to Trinity Christian Cedar Hill will actually help the Longhorns (can’t go too in-depth here).

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Usc should figure out who his source was that leaked it, and also supposedly said it was ok to post. 

I seriously doubt it was someone out of USC.  Scott  Schrader (he missed on only one projection in the 2018 class) projected Chris to USC in October, Greg Biggins just posted on Premium that Chris was as close to a lock for USC as it can get.  He put 2 plus 2 together, it wasn't hard.  The interviews with Chris after his official this weekend sounded like a commitment video.

Swanson took a calculated guess, and lost, that's what he does....he has been barred from the USC campus before, and now because of this leak, parents of recruits, the recruits and our current players are blocking him on Twitter as well as denying him access.

by the way, Oklahoma was never really in it, liking a visit (he liked all his visits) is far from actually wanting to attend the school.