Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Do all of the insiders really know who is in charge of recruiting whom or is this all recycled info from the 9.95ers.  We got Woodward and Eagles last year and we are in it for Wright and Washington this year.  Why all the fucking pussy rubbing?  aggy has some real tuff,  real stuff like Kam Brown.  What the fuck do I know.  

I can help you here on the “what the fuck do I know?” question. You appear to not know a fucking thing. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can help you here on the “what the fuck do I know?” question. You appear to not know a fucking thing. 

Good for you.  You are one know it all son of a bitch.  When we have a nice WR haul on both signing days, you can kiss my raunchy ass.  Hook'em!

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Good for you.  You are one know it all son of a bitch.  When we have a nice WR haul on both signing days, you can kiss my raunchy ass.  Hook'em!

We’ll have another nice signing day at WR. You’ll be crowing about the prowess of Drew Mehringer as he’s sent packing. You’ll point to his “promotion” to offensive coordinator at Pittsburg State as the Gorillas’ new wunderkind offensive coordinator  as validation for your faith. echeese and cdt23 will be right there with you. The rest of us will be crossing our fingers that Herman is out of bros to hire and actually brings in the best candidate for the job. 

There. Now I’ve earned the “know it all son of a bitch” title. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We’ll have another nice signing day at WR. You’ll be crowing about the prowess of Drew Mehringer as he’s sent packing. You’ll point to his “promotion” to offensive coordinator at Pittsburg State as the Gorillas’ new wunderkind offensive coordinator  as validation for your faith. echeese and cdt23 will be right there with you. The rest of us will be crossing our fingers that Herman is out of bros to hire and actually brings in the best candidate for the job. 

Well I’m not renewing my Pittsburg State Gorillas tickets now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As long as we have another nice signing day at WR,  I am a happy man.  You can continue to anguish about Mehringer's employment to you heart's content.  Chase Lane ain't walking thorough our WR door.  If Drew gets a job as OC at Nicholls State, more power to him.   Herman's bros like Orlando and Naivar have not been too shabby.   Much better than Strong's bros like Bedford.  

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The rest of us will be crossing our fingers that Herman is out of bros to hire and actually brings in the best candidate for the job. 

This is where I think you jump the shark. Herman is a pretty fucking good coach. He might have made a mistake making too many comfort hires that he felt would work as part of a team. However, I don't feel like he has any problems getting rid of the dead weight. When he fires 2 guys this winter and brings in 2 new people, I guess everyone will move on to Beck and Giles. That is fair enough, but remember a staff in continuous turnover won't really get us anywhere.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

This is where I think you jump the shark. Herman is a pretty fucking good coach. He might have made a mistake making too many comfort hires that he felt would work as part of a team. However, I don't feel like he has any problems getting rid of the dead weight. When he fires 2 guys this winter and brings in 2 new people, I guess everyone will move on to Beck and Giles. That is fair enough, but remember a staff in continuous turnover won't really get us anywhere.

He hasn’t done it yet. He literally has chronic underperformers on his staff that he chose to bring back for another year, jeopardizing the rebuild and making us beholden to them. How the fuck have I jumped the shark by pointing something legitimate out and you predicting the future ? 

I’m fine with whatever shit people want to sling at me, so long as it is legitimate or at least just violent or funny. You brought none of that to the table. Please put more effort into your posts or ask the orderlies to take your keyboard away for the good of everyone. 

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, that was exactly part of what I was saying above, really. We picked up Woodard as part of a fucking inner loop cabal of recruits in Houston. Moore was a life long fan begging for two years to be offered. Guys like Eagles wind up at Texas damn near every year if we have any signs of life. Everything else done was a fuckup or a waste.

Mehringer is a worthless piece of shit as a college football coach and recruiter. Herman tried to dump him but his bro lacks the bro-ness with anyone else to find a soft place to land, so we get to watch him fuck up another cycle. This is a fucking prick who shits on Collin Johnson regularly on the practice field and to recruits and their parents. Fuck him and anyone defending his fucking ass. 

All of that is fine, but can you tell us how you really feel?

25 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

As long as we have another nice signing day at WR,  I am a happy man.  You can continue to anguish about Mehringer's employment to you heart's content.  Chase Lane ain't walking thorough our WR door.  If Drew gets a job as OC at Nicholls State, more power to him.   Herman's bros like Orlando and Naivar have not been too shabby.   Much better than Strong's bros like Bedford.  

lol, Orlando is not one of Herman's "bros": Herman made one hell of a hire and first met Orlando when he interviewed him 3 years ago. That was the best hire he made coming here IMO.

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

about lol, Orlando is not one of Herman's "bros": Herman made one hell of a hire and first met Orlando when he interviewed him 3 years ago. That was the best hire he made coming here IMO.

It depends on what your definition of "bro"  is.  Kind of like what your definition of "is" "is".  Orlando worked for him just like Naivar and Meekins did.  I don't want to fuss about  bullshit though.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m fine with whatever shit people want to sling at me, so long as it is legitimate or at least just violent or funny. You brought none of that to the table. Please put more effort into your posts or ask the orderlies to take your keyboard away for the good of everyone.  

You know that is very mean and you should feel bad. And by that I mean you deserve to have Sydney drive an enlarged 12inch 3D print of Greg Davis' penis through your right eye into your hypoglossal nerve so you can't spit it out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

lol, Orlando is not one of Herman's "bros": Herman made one hell of a hire and first met Orlando when he interviewed him 3 years ago. That was the best hire he made coming here IMO.

We were hiring whoever didnt get the HC gig at UH, Major or Orlando. Since we got Orlando, we moved to plan B at OC which was Beck. I doubt we would have pulled Aranda in the other scenario judging by what LSU did to turn away aggy. 

Edited by Vertigo

I'm not as down on certain members of the staff as a lot of people, but I do agree that they aren't all championship level. 

It's hard to grade them fairly in a first year where a big focus was on culture. It probably cost us games last year but we won't see the payoff until this upcoming season is done. 

But championship coaching staffs don't mess up the WR rotation, fail to run the ball to the left side when Connor is healthy, give Porter the ball, or miss so many priority targets early in the cycle. 

Big thing that is encouraging to me is that Herman has shown the ability to improvise. Called plays in the bowl game. Brought in Hand. I think he'll fire the assistants that aren't pulling their weight after his second season, but I'm personally glad he didn't this year because we've already had so much consistent turnover for almost an entire decade now. I think he also realizes that he's a great recruiter, but that he did start from behind in state this year and is working to fix it by getting 2020 guys on campus a lot earlier and including them in events like Heat Wave. 

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm not as down on certain members of the staff as a lot of people, but I do agree that they aren't all championship level. 

It's hard to grade them fairly in a first year where a big focus was on culture. It probably cost us games last year but we won't see the payoff until this upcoming season is done. 

But championship coaching staffs don't mess up the WR rotation, fail to run the ball to the left side when Connor is healthy, give Porter the ball, or miss so many priority targets early in the cycle. 

Big thing that is encouraging to me is that Herman has shown the ability to improvise. Called plays in the bowl game. Brought in Hand. I think he'll fire the assistants that aren't pulling their weight after his second season, but I'm personally glad he didn't this year because we've already had so much consistent turnover for almost an entire decade now. I think he also realizes that he's a great recruiter, but that he did start from behind in state this year and is working to fix it by getting 2020 guys on campus a lot earlier and including them in events like Heat Wave. 

something somethig something...Talking Heads...Stop Making Sense...something something something 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

You do not think he has any problems getting rid of dead weight? So then please us then why he did not get rid of his dead weight from last year? 

29 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You do not think he has any problems getting rid of dead weight? So then please us then why he did not get rid of his dead weight from last year? 

It’s been said. He wasn’t going to jettison them outright after one season both for consistency to the players, and for future coaching hires. He tried to find them landing spots, failed, so he kept them on another year. 

I’m  guessing he believes that’s in the best interest of the program as a whole, and chose to have them for one additional year, hopefully with plans to mitigate them as recruiters and as coaches. 

Which brings us to, what has he done as recruiting mitigation?  Welp, not looking great so far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Can't we all be a little more like TexAgs and constantly talk about how fucking AMAZING this staff is? We need more 20__ Natty Trophies I guess.

I think this is all a blessing in disguise, etc.... 

Am I doing this right? 

EJ after dark: Latest on DB recruiting

— Texas is still working hard on Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell. In fact, I’m told the Longhorns are working to get him on campus for an unofficial visit this weekend. Like we reported last week, this recruitment has been a little more complicated than originally thought. But we still feel like Texas can flip Caldwell from the Ducks if it does in fact get him in for the visit.

— While Texas got knocked out of the College World Series, the Longhorns’ deep run on the diamond caught the attention of one key football recruit — four-star Mansfield Legacy safety Jalen Catalon. Remember, Texas is offering him the chance to play both sports at the next level. Catalon was very impressed with UT’s baseball season and watch most of the Longhorns’ postseason games.

— Four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora made an official visit to Boise State and gave his time there a ’10.’ He has some ties to the program, and it appears Boise State is making the race a little closer. However, we still feel very good about our Texas Crystal Ball predictions for Adimora and don't feel like Boise State did enough ahead of his upcoming August decision date. 

— Five-star Dunham School (La.) cornerback Derek Stingley made a commitment to LSU today. We are told that Texas was second on his list. Stingley will be a firm commitment to LSU but if the Tigers have a poor season and experience a staff shakeup, it could open the door for the Longhorns, especially with some success on the field.

Eric Nahlin: General Thoughts and Observations of Defensive Line Recruiting

Last October, Tom Herman stated, "We're building a program, not a season, not a team, not a game." Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, and each recruiting class an appendage of the program, but I bet he'd be fine amending the above quote with "and not a recruiting class." Sometime last fall, Justin and I heard the staff wasn't overly concerned with 'stars' when it came to the lines. We knew stars mattered in the big picture to the staff — their competitive nature has them wanting the top class — so I thought we were being spun because at the time recruiting was laboring in that department.

Then last December I heard from someone in attendance at a coach/donor meet-and-greet that Herman shared his philosophy, essentially saying, but not verbatim, "I don't want small classes on the lines, and I don't want overly big classes on the lines (those lead to small ones). I want a consistent class of four, maybe five, and I want them to have time to develop. The goal is to push around the Big 12 with grown men." That's not exactly profound, but when you take it all in: not so worried about stars across the lines, the willingness and ability to stash and develop bigs, and the success Herman and Orlando were having with a defensive line filled with former three-star turned upper-classmen, the light bulb went off. That’s a really good plan, but it's contingent on a few things.

As Scipio has mentioned, the attrition rate for defensive linemen is typically pretty high. It takes a lot to consistently fire that motor. Unmotivated players well be run-off and replaced. This hits incredibly close to home for Texas fans who have seen what happened to Charlie Strong's 2016 class. Jordan Elliott, Chris Daniels, and Marcell Southall are all gone. Each arrived with very questionable mental evaluations. D'Andre Christmas has barely seen the field due to questionable work ethic that was known prior to signing. If your preference is to employ the patient, long-curve approach, a staff must hit on mental evaluation. Players must be self-starters with high football character. Time spent developing in year one and two is time wasted if a given player isn't around in year four.

Speaking of which, if we can discuss Strong's failings in the mental evaluation department, let us recall the successes that Tom Herman finds himself the beneficiary of. "Three-star Chollie" as the Aggies came to call him, landed Poona Ford, Chris Nelson, Charles Omenihu, Breckyn Hager, Malcolm Roach, and Gerald Wilbon. Ford has departed after earning Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Of this group, he was the only four-star and he barely met that mark. This upcoming season, Texas will likely accomplish what Herman told that room of donors what his goal is, "to push around the Big 12 with full grown men."

As stated, if this is the route you want to go, evaluation plays a massive part. Players must be program fits with untapped potential to overshoot their network ratings. You may recall how I beat the drum for the guys the defense will depend on next year, notably calling Omenihu and Roach four-stars. Because of their NFL upside the services had those two especially wrong. I did like Hager's upside coming off the edge (I was pessimistic about him at linebacker) and didn't deem him a questionable take at all. He was a newly built strip center with a ton of room left to lease out. I thought Nelson was a great take after seeing junior film of him moving around as a giant linebacker. Wilbon I questioned rather vocally until I saw his senior film. To this day I don't know what Strong saw in him as a junior, but his senior tape made him a fine take and his mental evaluation was higher than many other Strong brought in. That was never a question. What these guys all had going for them is they stuck around and were wired internally to fit and take advantage of the new culture and strength and conditioning program.

Per the networks, Herman's first full defensive line class barely averages to a four-star, which is below the overall class haul. The class contained Keondre Coburn (.9468), Joseph Ossai (.9257 composite), Moro Ojomo (.8884), Mike Williams (.8763), and Daniel Carson (.8763). Most importantly, though, like we saw with Omenihu, Roach, and others, we see some clear 'network' misses. In fact, everybody but Coburn is under-rated in my view. We're seeing more of the same with the 2019 class. T'vondre Sweat (.8628) and Peter Mpagi (.8654) are two of the three lowest rated players in the current class of 10. So what do Herman and Todd Orlando think they know the networks don't? A lot of things I'm sure, but the difference makers again boil down to the mental evaluation that lends to program fit as well as on-field fit.

Per the networks, Sweat is seen as a strong-side defensive end; Mpagi a weak-side defensive end. Here comes the only spin I'll ever offer, the positional variety. Sweat will be a 4i on in, not dissimilar to Taquon Graham. Mpagi's upside lies as a 265 pound 4i or end in a four-man front not dissimilar to Omenihu (fit-wise). Also like Omenihu, because of his incredibly high mental evaluation, he's going to hit that upside, assuming he keeps most of his athleticism while gaining size and strength. None of this is to say the staff doesn't want elite players like DeMarvin Leal and it isn't to excuse those types of misses when/if they occur. It also isn't to say I wouldn't love to see a guy like Marcus Stripling in the class. [Quick digression: Stripling is a rich man's Sweat. His rating is defensible, though his ceiling is further inside, not at defensive end, so it's a half-miss by the networks. What is this to say? Herman is building a program, not a season, not a team, not a game, and not a recruiting class.

• Like 2

When I think about recruits, I imagine a two by two graph, with physical on one axis and drive on the other. You want no one in the low drive, low physical quadrant, obviously. You don’t want high physical, low drive because you can’t win a conference title with that. They will quit under adversity.

If you can get strong drive and good enough physical, you have a winning formula. But to win at the national level you have to have that top right quadrant for most of the line positions. I don’t worry too much about smarts on the line, other than staying eligible, because it’s not that complicated to learn your schemes by year two. Smarts and drive don’t always come together. I know a lot of lazy smart people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s been said. He wasn’t going to jettison them outright after one season both for consistency to the players, and for future coaching hires. He tried to find them landing spots, failed, so he kept them on another year. 

I’m  guessing he believes that’s in the best interest of the program as a whole, and chose to have them for one additional year, hopefully with plans to mitigate them as recruiters and as coaches. 

Which brings us to, what has he done as recruiting mitigation?  Welp, not looking great so far. 

That is the literal definition of not being able to get rid of dead weight.  

• Haha 1

It's the last weekend to visit before the dead period, I believe. It would be interesting if someone with a lot of time on his hands and access to other schools' 247 sites compiled a list of where all of our targets, even fringe ones, are visiting this weekend