Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Interesting.  Had written Major and Houston off.  So is Houston a Z-receiver (speedster on the outside)?  I only ask because he's listed at 6'0" and we already have 2 top notch slots.

Correct. If there's any substance to this, he'd be an outside guy who can fly. If there's substance to it, I have to assume there's traction with Major too. I'm from Missouri on this one, though.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

That's what I heard from one of his old coaches from Clear Lake.  That's it.  Said he's committing soon and it's going to be Texas

Seems legit enough for me.....put him in the calculator!!!

28 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

That's what I heard from one of his old coaches from Clear Lake.  That's it.  Said he's committing soon and it's going to be Texas

Three questions:
1.) How hot is his mom?

2.) What color is his house?

3.) Does your dean let you wear college polos to class during finals?

31 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

We need a dose of saltynash - urinal cakes reality. Everything we've been hearing from the 9.95ers is that Georgia leads.

Jeff Howe: For Texas, recruiting is about finding the right kind of player

As Texas set about assembling a 2018 recruiting class that 247Sports ranked as the nation’s No. 3 overall haul, Tom Herman and his assistant coaches inevitably discussed with the 27 signees their ability to get recruits ready to someday make the jump to the NFL. Herman and the rest of the staff have a collective track record of producing NFL talent — in just three seasons as a collegiate head coach, Herman’s three squads have produced 10 NFL draft choices, a number that includes a four Longhorns who were selected back in April.

With the 2018 class — the first full-cycle class put together by Herman during his tenure on the Forty Acres — now on campus, one of Herman’s offseason buzzwords — develop — is now the name of the game. Herman told Horns247 recently that the testing numbers for the freshmen who began workouts with head strength coach Yancy McKnight earlier this month, a group that includes 247Sports five-star prospects Jalen Green and DeMarvion Overshown, were off the charts and team sources have told Horns247 that the group has, as a whole, been as good as advertised with how they’ve attacked summer conditioning.

While the early returns on the class have been tremendous despite the first game for the group being 65 days away, it's worth noting that Herman said back in the spring that discussing a future beyond college football wasn't a huge topic of discussion during the recruiting process. What Herman and the Texas coaches sold, and continue to do so successfully based on the feedback from recruits, is McKnight's strength program and the ability the current strength has when it comes to developing talent.

So, what’s more important for the long-term health of the program: To become an NFL factory by way of acquiring high-level prospects? Or to be known as a program that can take recruits not highly valued by the industry and polish those diamonds in the rough until they shine? Herman, who addressed the topic back in the spring, indicated the Longhorns have to be a mixture of both in order to eventually boast the kind of talented depth up and down the roster needed to compete for championships on an annual basis. Based on what the staff has done at their previous stops, there's no reason why the Longhorns can't have the best of both worlds.

It starts with developing talent, something Herman said is something that’s real and has been a big part of the recruiting pitch since the current regime took over the program. McKnight developed a slew of future NFL players during his stops at Rice, Iowa State and Houston, programs that typically don’t get the caliber of recruit a program like Texas is capable of consistently landing. “If you’re able to take two- and three-star guys and develop them into mid-round draft picks because of your coaching and your strength program, I think that is a feather in your cap and I think you need to laud that,” Herman said.

The 2017 recruiting class, a group Herman and Co. had to put together in a matter of weeks after taking over the program during Thanksgiving weekend in 2016, is a good example of the staff’s ability to evaluate talent. Offensive tackle Derek Kerstetter, running back Daniel Young and tight end Cade Brewer started multiple games as true freshmen after arriving on campus regarded as mid-level three-star prospects by the recruiting industry.

That’s why Herman admitted the ability to consistently deliver highly-ranked classes, like Texas did in 2018 and like the Longhorns are on pace to do in 2019 (the current class ranks 18th nationally, but only Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia have classes with a better per-player ranking than Herman’s current 10-man haul), is a must in order for the Longhorns to build a championship-caliber roster. Since 2001, every national champion has had at least one top-10 recruiting class make up their roster and since 1996, only one national championship roster was constructed without the help of a top-10 class.

For a staff that’s gotten the most out of players along the way, maximizing what better, more talented prospects bring to the table is what the current kings of college football do better than anyone else. “Why does Alabama and Ohio State have the most draft picks?” Herman said. “Well, look at the recruiting rankings, too.” The end of the Mack Brown era and the three-year tenure of Charlie Strong showed that landing highly-touted recruiting classes alone doesn’t guarantee success. Brown’s final four full-cycle classes (2010-2013) averaged a national class rank of sixth while the three classes Strong announced on National Signing Day (2014-2016) had an average ranking of 11th, yet the Longhorns have a record of 53-48 during the current decade.

As has been the case based on the work being done by the 2018 signees this summer, building a program is about more than just stockpiling talent. Recruiting the right kind of player who is willing to be developed and can get quickly acclimated to the culture within a program is the best way for the Texas program to get headed in the right direction and remain on the correct path for years to come. “It starts on signing day,” Herman said. “You’ve got to bring in NFL-type potential and then it’s up to us and our strength staff to develop that potential."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Ive actually never even heard of the kid.  That's just what I was told.  Apparently he moved to Clear Lake from Florida and then moved back to Florida.  He's at the Adidas camp right now.

He'll be at the Opening this weekend. On the same team as Elijah Higgins (though that may not mean as much as it once did).

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Jeff Howe: For Texas, recruiting is about finding the right kind of player

Reveal hidden contents

As Texas set about assembling a 2018 recruiting class that 247Sports ranked as the nation’s No. 3 overall haul, Tom Herman and his assistant coaches inevitably discussed with the 27 signees their ability to get recruits ready to someday make the jump to the NFL. Herman and the rest of the staff have a collective track record of producing NFL talent — in just three seasons as a collegiate head coach, Herman’s three squads have produced 10 NFL draft choices, a number that includes a four Longhorns who were selected back in April.

With the 2018 class — the first full-cycle class put together by Herman during his tenure on the Forty Acres — now on campus, one of Herman’s offseason buzzwords — develop — is now the name of the game. Herman told Horns247 recently that the testing numbers for the freshmen who began workouts with head strength coach Yancy McKnight earlier this month, a group that includes 247Sports five-star prospects Jalen Green and DeMarvion Overshown, were off the charts and team sources have told Horns247 that the group has, as a whole, been as good as advertised with how they’ve attacked summer conditioning.

While the early returns on the class have been tremendous despite the first game for the group being 65 days away, it's worth noting that Herman said back in the spring that discussing a future beyond college football wasn't a huge topic of discussion during the recruiting process. What Herman and the Texas coaches sold, and continue to do so successfully based on the feedback from recruits, is McKnight's strength program and the ability the current strength has when it comes to developing talent.

So, what’s more important for the long-term health of the program: To become an NFL factory by way of acquiring high-level prospects? Or to be known as a program that can take recruits not highly valued by the industry and polish those diamonds in the rough until they shine? Herman, who addressed the topic back in the spring, indicated the Longhorns have to be a mixture of both in order to eventually boast the kind of talented depth up and down the roster needed to compete for championships on an annual basis. Based on what the staff has done at their previous stops, there's no reason why the Longhorns can't have the best of both worlds.

It starts with developing talent, something Herman said is something that’s real and has been a big part of the recruiting pitch since the current regime took over the program. McKnight developed a slew of future NFL players during his stops at Rice, Iowa State and Houston, programs that typically don’t get the caliber of recruit a program like Texas is capable of consistently landing. “If you’re able to take two- and three-star guys and develop them into mid-round draft picks because of your coaching and your strength program, I think that is a feather in your cap and I think you need to laud that,” Herman said.

The 2017 recruiting class, a group Herman and Co. had to put together in a matter of weeks after taking over the program during Thanksgiving weekend in 2016, is a good example of the staff’s ability to evaluate talent. Offensive tackle Derek Kerstetter, running back Daniel Young and tight end Cade Brewer started multiple games as true freshmen after arriving on campus regarded as mid-level three-star prospects by the recruiting industry.

That’s why Herman admitted the ability to consistently deliver highly-ranked classes, like Texas did in 2018 and like the Longhorns are on pace to do in 2019 (the current class ranks 18th nationally, but only Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia have classes with a better per-player ranking than Herman’s current 10-man haul), is a must in order for the Longhorns to build a championship-caliber roster. Since 2001, every national champion has had at least one top-10 recruiting class make up their roster and since 1996, only one national championship roster was constructed without the help of a top-10 class.

For a staff that’s gotten the most out of players along the way, maximizing what better, more talented prospects bring to the table is what the current kings of college football do better than anyone else. “Why does Alabama and Ohio State have the most draft picks?” Herman said. “Well, look at the recruiting rankings, too.” The end of the Mack Brown era and the three-year tenure of Charlie Strong showed that landing highly-touted recruiting classes alone doesn’t guarantee success. Brown’s final four full-cycle classes (2010-2013) averaged a national class rank of sixth while the three classes Strong announced on National Signing Day (2014-2016) had an average ranking of 11th, yet the Longhorns have a record of 53-48 during the current decade.

As has been the case based on the work being done by the 2018 signees this summer, building a program is about more than just stockpiling talent. Recruiting the right kind of player who is willing to be developed and can get quickly acclimated to the culture within a program is the best way for the Texas program to get headed in the right direction and remain on the correct path for years to come. “It starts on signing day,” Herman said. “You’ve got to bring in NFL-type potential and then it’s up to us and our strength staff to develop that potential."

Reveal hidden contents

Whew! I can breathe a little bit easier now that I know that Texas is recruiting the right kind of player.

People actually pay for that shit?

13 minutes ago, Orange^White said:

Whew! I can breathe a little bit easier now that I know that Texas is recruiting the right kind of player.

If they’d have listened to me they would’ve gone after big, fast guys. Who like to lift weights. But hey that’s just me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Orange^White said:

This time, you see is different. This time the coaches have really started to identify the right kinds of players and unlike the guys before these are really the right guys. 

Just like in summer workouts. Everyone is more focused than last summer. Everyone is more in shape than last year. And team chemisty is at an all time high. Not like last summer when things were really bad despite you reading a report almost identical to this one. It’s different this time. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

What is the TFB write up about Texas leading for elite oos wr?

Demaryion Houston. We're in good shape with him.

Edit: but despite Houston's interest they don't think Marcus Major ends up at Texas.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Edit: but despite Houston's interest they don't think Marcus Major ends up at Texas.

Dang.  I thought our differentiation was that neither OU nor OSU had offered both.  So put both Sanders AND Cain in the calculator?  Pretty sure that's what it means.

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This pretty much tells you that Major is going to BlowU. That's the only reason they'd split up  imo. Major really wants to go to the in-state school and Houston doesn't have an offer there.

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This pretty much tells you that Major is going to BlowU. That's the only reason they'd split up  imo. Major really wants to go to the in-state school and Houston doesn't have an offer there.

From the OU side of TFB, this is what they're targeting at RB:

RB: Taking 2 – 2 spots open

RB: Marcus Major – Oklahoma City (OK)

RB: Isaiah Spiller – Spring (TX)

RB: Tyrion Davis – Baton Rouge (LA) – LSU Commit

RB: Noah Cain – Bradenton (FL)

RB: Kenny McIntosh – Fort Lauderdale (FL)

Spiller already decommitted, I have a hard time seeing McIntosh or Davis leaving their home states. We'll see what new targets emerge for them, but it's hard not to see Major as one of their RBs right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Coach is his uncle.  

Is the uncle former Houston Oiler John Henry Mills?  I remember seeing him post some pics from Rian Davis' OV to Austin, and his Twitter activity has him retweeting a bunch of stuff about Davis and Clear Lake Falcons football.  Looks like he's currently coaching at Clear Lake.  https://twitter.com/JhSkillsMills 

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Is the uncle former Houston Oiler John Henry Mills?  I remember seeing him post some pics from Rian Davis' OV to Austin, and his Twitter activity has him retweeting a bunch of stuff about Davis and Clear Lake Falcons football.  Looks like he's currently coaching at Clear Lake.  https://twitter.com/JhSkillsMills 

yeah, we're happy hour friends.

• Like 1