Texas recruiting notes 2019

I mean, he's not wrong.  We have not developed our players the way we should have on offense atleast.  But that is going to change.  This year we may have 2 WRs drafted as Jrs in the NFL.  We need 1 winning season and this shit will get fixed.  8 years of losing will do that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, golfclap said:

On Wilson -- the quote in question is directly out of tOSUs staff's maw. issued verbatim. You can always tell when a kid has his own quotes and thoughts vs. the recruiting language and this was clearly directly from Meyer and his staff. It wasn't some moment of clarity or the kid keeping it 100. It was a kid spewing the recruiting rhetoric that he'd heard from the school that he was always headed to. Wilson talked shit about UT during a training session with Chux as well. Not to mention his additional poisoning of the well with Higgins who already struggles with his severe butthurtitis. I'm 100% with Tex Pete on this one, fuck that guy.  

This added context, which I was struggling to remember, is why I went with the he was being a bitch route.  His comment wasn't made in isolation.   

You picked Ohio state.  Fine, good luck.  No need to shit (publicly and to other recruits) on the school you had second on your list in doing so.  And if UT was that bad, why were they a finalist to begin with?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I don't think anyone is blaming the kid for picking the team with more recent success.  The issue is with taking an unnecessary shot at UT in doing so - particularly when a portion of OSU's recent success can be attributed to the coach now at UT.   It kind of made him look like a bitch - which he may or may not be.  But now we're left wondering.  

Not to mention they haven't had a 1000 yard receiver since something like 2002?

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I mean, he's not wrong.  We have not developed our players the way we should have on offense atleast.  But that is going to change.  This year we may have 2 WRs drafted as Jrs in the NFL.  We need 1 winning season and this shit will get fixed.  8 years of losing will do that.

I think it's a mix of not properly developing players and choosing the wrong players, no matter how many stars that player had. AND NOT HAVING DANG QBS

10 hours ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I don't think anyone is blaming the kid for picking the team with more recent success.  The issue is with taking an unnecessary shot at UT in doing so - particularly when a portion of OSU's recent success can be attributed to the coach now at UT.   It kind of made him look like a bitch - which he may or may not be.  But now we're left wondering.  

Kid is what, 17? Remember the dumb shit you were convinced of at 17, or hell, 27 (I don't know how old you are but that applies to me, at least). I'm not expecting a 17 year old to think very logically here when he was recruited by 50 schools and 49 of them told him the same damn thing that OSU did. Hear it enough you believe it without thinking that much about it, especially at that age.

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

This is something that Herman and his staff have had to acknowledge with these kids, because they know it's what they're being told by the other schools. It's something I and many of you have accepted also. It holds its truths, but it's a different regime. That's not a reflection of Herman and his staff, but at the same time, they really have no sample-size in comparison, so you understand a kid wanting to go somewhere where the sample size is big and shows favorable.

What Herman and Co have to do is sell these kids on THEMSELVES being the reason they'll be successful, not Urban.. Saban.. David Shaw....(okay maybe David Shaw can get them a little more pro-ready), not Herman himself.  IF they're really that damn good, they'll find their way to success, and "achieve what you think they could" just playing within the system the coaches run.

They have a 1 year sample size where our WRs regressed pretty much across the board.

It sort of takes good QBs and good OLs to complete a lot of passes. Vince and Colt both had decent to great OLs and completed a ton of short throws. The fact they either got rid of the ball quickly or could scramble long enough to get guys open a little farther downfield made our passing game highly effective. But it came at the expense of any single receiver getting a ton of yards. 

A lot of guys have picked other schools. Wilson is the only one I know of this cycle who took a shot at the program after picking someone else.

People use the "17 year old" excuse too freely.  I was 17 once.  I did some ignorant stuff, but I never acted like an ass or took a shot at people who tried to help me.  It doesn't take a super mature person to say "thanks, but no thanks."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Kid is what, 17? Remember the dumb shit you were convinced of at 17, or hell, 27 (I don't know how old you are but that applies to me, at least). I'm not expecting a 17 year old to think very logically here when he was recruited by 50 schools and 49 of them told him the same damn thing that OSU did. Hear it enough you believe it without thinking that much about it, especially at that age.

There is nothing remotely illogical about what he is saying. Urban Meyer, despite His team culture issues has been putting players in the league. Especially on offense. Meanwhile our offense has been a god damn tire fire for 4 straight years. 

If you weee truly being objective there is nothing you can really argue about with what he says. 

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

There is nothing remotely illogical about what he is saying. Urban Meyer, despite His team culture issues has been putting players in the league. Especially on offense. Meanwhile our offense has been a god damn tire fire for 4 straight years. 

If you weee truly being objective there is nothing you can really argue about with what he says. 

The illogical part would be that Herman has been here for one season, and that he helped put those kids in the NFL at OSU (hint: the part I bolded in the quote).

Edited to add: I'm not saying there's not truth in it. It all makes sense, especially on the surface. OSU has put the butts in the NFL, early rounds. Texas has not.

But that stretch of Charlie + Mack has nothing to do with Herman right now. That's what he's trying to fix. Kids like Wilson would help him fix that.

Edited by UncleBuck

32 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, with Charlie's guys. Let's not act like he got in a Cadillac and ragged it out.

That doesn't really hold water. Orlando coached up Charlies guys on the other side of the ball and they were a bigger train wreck than the offense under his regime outside of OLine.

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That doesn't really hold water. Orlando coached up Charlies guys on the other side of the ball and they were a bigger train wreck than the offense under his regime outside of OLine.

That defense was one of the more talented units in the conference.

The offense, outside of a couple of receivers was not a very talented bunch at all. Had basically zero tight ends, olinemen who shouldn't have been playing, a true frosh QB who made some boneheaded mistakes. No, I will not accept that Herman had the equivalent talent to work with on offense that Orlando did on defense. It wasn't close.

I'm not putting this first year of offensive suckage on Herman. This year is when I start to worry if it's looking similar.

Edited by UncleBuck

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That defense was one of the more talented units in the conference.

The offense, outside of a couple of receivers was not a very talented bunch at all. Had basically zero tight ends, olinemen who shouldn't have been playing, a true frosh QB who made some boneheaded mistakes. No, I will not accept that Herman had the equivalent talent to work with on offense that Orlando did on defense. It wasn't close.

I'm not putting this first year of offensive suckage on Herman. This year is when I start to worry if it's looking similar.

It's fine that you are giving the offense the benefit of the doubt, but recruits aren't required to, especially not when your OC is currently Tim Beck and your WR coach is Mehringer. Those guys don't have the resumes. 

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It's fine that you are giving the offense the benefit of the doubt, but recruits aren't required to, especially not when your OC is currently Tim Beck and your WR coach is Mehringer. Those guys don't have the resumes. 

I'm just talking about the direct comparison between the two universities' abilities to put players in the NFL, and that Texas hasn't had a problem there until recently in its existence, and that Herman hasn't had a hand in that, at least yet. I've said there are truths in it. I've said I understand a recruit buying into that knock against Texas. You're not telling me anything new that I don't understand.

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We went through this during the charlie years...you can reasonably judge coaches’ abilities with players they didn’t recruit. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We went through this during the charlie years...you can reasonably judge coaches’ abilities with players they didn’t recruit. 

Absolutely, and I didn't find the talent that Charlie started off working with on offense, and the talent he LEFT on offense to be much to work with at all, so I'm not going to hold that first year against Herman right now. That's my judgment.

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You don’t think CJ, Burt, LJH, etc. are talented? Are you not in agreement our WRs regressed last year? If so, that has to fall on the coaches, no?

Yes I think they're talented. I don't think our OL was. I don't think that helped the running game. I don't think not having any TEs helps either with what Herman wants to do with the TEs in his offense. I don't think the QBing helped. I'm sure coaching and game planning has something to do with it also, but coaches can make those mistakes when the talent gives room for it (and make fewer mistakes when the talent provides). But with what the staff had to work with OVERALL (you're mentioning one position group), one year isn't a big sample size.

But, you don't agree with me. I don't agree with you, and that's all good.

Back to recruiting or something.

Edited by UncleBuck

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You don’t think CJ, Burt, LJH, etc. are talented? Are you not in agreement our WRs regressed last year? If so, that has to fall on the coaches, no?

CJ definitely fell off some.  Burt has always been a headcase with the dropsies.  Super athletic, but not ultra talented in terms of catching the ball.  IMO, LJH improved last year or had a bigger impact (although I don't have a strong recollection of what he did as a freshman).  Armanti seemed to not be happy all year and was possibly poisoning the WR room.  Duverny never seemed to find his role in this offense.  Lots of talent though - just no oline, RBs, or TEs to help them out.  Also, a freshman QB.  

These guys also had the huge benefit of playing the season before with D'Onta, who consistently drew 8+ men into the box.  

Edited by BigVegasHorn26

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think getting Armanti Foreman the fuck away from a couple of these guys is going to be bigger than technique. As for the regression at WR, it's almost impossible to judge them because the OL was such a week-by-week clusterfuck, but LJH certainly didn't look like he regressed to me. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Agree, but tell your friends & family, not the media.  On that front, just STFU.

Wilson should have shut his pie hole and I hope the guy sucks at football at OSU.

This is related to recruiting because we are in the transition where Herman is paying the price for putting culture install over winning football games. I hope that the weird personnel groupings and usage were more about putting guys with cultural buy-in on the field over more talented guys who needed to learn a lesson. That shouldn't be needed this season and hopefully we see the coaches utilizing elite talent rather than rewarding the try-hards to make a point. We should win more games and look more polished with our elite guys getting the bulk of the snaps. It is still likely going to take another season to wash the stink of the last 8 years off the program, though I would love to see Herman pull a Saban or Stoops in Year 2.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

10, right? We have 15 commits.

Could be 12 more because we are at 83 with Grandy. So I think the number could be 27 if it was the right 2 guys. It's gonna obviously require some attrition but that's going to be every year under Herman. That Junior class only has 16 but 2-3 could go early to the NFL and another 2 could leave as grad xfers. I think we'll see ~4 more underclassman drift away before the 2019 class signs. So I think we'll be able to take 25-28. 

We have like 6 EEs (I think) so that number could push out as well. Though I don't think there's enough oomph in this class to push beyond 28. It certainly looks like they are approaching the 2020 class like it will be a full class so they aren't going to burn a spot for a marginal take at the back end. 

5 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

Not 100% sure they take a full class, currently have 83 scholarship players with 18 Seniors. I figure they take around 20-22.

I think we'll take as many full classes as we are able to. The numbers will work out if the right players want in.

Edited by Machinator