Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Honest question, do you think that if Orlando has another hot season and gets plucked that the higher OOS ratio could come back to bite us should we have coaching departures?

I think the question you have to ask first is, what coaching spots are going to be available for Orlando to fill?

58 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Honest question, do you think that if Orlando has another hot season and gets plucked that the higher OOS ratio could come back to bite us should we have coaching departures?

I have an extremely high appetite for risk in various endeavors, so my response to this kind of question is “fuck it, let the chips fall where they may”. If all things are equal and the best players for us are OOS, let the chips fall where may and do your best to hang on. Guys will leave if Orlando deuces, irrespective of address. IMO. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Having visited both states I can say with confidence this is the smartest move. Lowe cost of living lower educational requirements. No reason to try at anything in life and who cares about beautiful weather and beaches when you have mobile 

He's the best back to come out of Texas since Adrian Peterson. He has trouble finding a car when he has to get somewhere farther from home than a mile. He'll basically be the top prospect in the country and if he stays healthy, he will be projectable as a high NFL draft pick before he signs his LOI. This is going to be Marcus Dupree level shit.
So are you saying it comes down to whichever high profile program is willing to get neck deep in the mudpit?

6 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:
He's the best back to come out of Texas since Adrian Peterson. He has trouble finding a car when he has to get somewhere farther from home than a mile. He'll basically be the top prospect in the country and if he stays healthy, he will be projectable as a high NFL draft pick before he signs his LOI. This is going to be Marcus Dupree level shit.

So are you saying it comes down to whichever high profile program is willing to get neck deep in the mudpit?

Lets do it

8 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Tuitele: His family has met with Tua's family and they are both St. Louis (current two time defending state champ in their new tournament bracket system by division) players, and I think Alabama will win as of now but Texas should root really hard for Alabama to steal from LSU that DT (Sopsher?) because that might help lead him at least in the direction of Texas.  Landing any other Hawaii player helps too, Hawaii kids definitely support each other outside of Hawaii in a way that is very strong.

There's been some Bama chatter than Tuitele might not be a take for them in the end, and they might take Ika instead. They have a bunch of DL on the board who they can seemingly land if they want, and it seems like they're juggling them while kicking the can down the road to see which ones look the best when the song is over 

Of course, this is just Bama messageboard chatter 

19 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

"I’m told Todd Orlando and Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties, have done a tremendous job recruiting Tufono and his family and that they have bought into the program."

EJ has to read this thread and is fucking with us. 

I just started cackling after reading "who has strong Polynesian ties", because at this point he is trolling like a motherfucker!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Is it hottake-esq or heresy to think that Evans might end up as a better prospect than AD? 

It's kinda hot-takey

43 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Damn, is Evans really that fucking good?

ESPN just dropped their Jr. 300 and had him as the #2 ranked player in the nation. I don't think he's AD, but he's about to get recruited like he is.

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Maybe I’m misinterpreting, but it sounds like CTJ and others are saying that if we land Evans, we can no longer deny we’re playing the “game” at a high level. Am I way off base? I don’t want to cast a disparaging light on the kid if that’s not the implication being made.

He said low probability so the implication would be the stars aligned for us.  Talk to me when we land five 5 stars in the space of a few weeks.

EJ after dark: Intel on RB recruiting

— Elite running back Noah Cain listed Texas in his top six over the weekend. So where exactly do the Longhorns stand? I have reason to believe UT is in the top half and will get an official visit in the fall/winter. However, it’s really going to come down to the season. Cain and his family want to see Texas win and have better play upfront. I’m told Texas is already using Javonne Shepherd’s commitment to help with Cain. LSU should worry Texas here. As we’ve reported, Cain is originally from Baton Rouge and his father is a fan of the program. With John Emery going to Georgia instead of LSU, it really changes the dynamic of his recruitment. Penn State and Auburn are dark horses.

— Naturally, y’all are going to ask about Cain’s teammate and five-star running back Trey Sanders. Well, he is planning to release his top schools soon, and I do expect Texas to make the cut and receive an official visit. Texas is a player here thanks to Stan Drayton’s resume as arguably the most important factor for Sanders is NFL development. Sanders likes the idea of playing for Texas, but the Longhorns absolutely have to get his parents on board. I’m told they are not sold on UT at all. This season and Sanders’ official visit will be huge. Right now, Alabama has the inside track.

— While the focus has largely been on Cain and Sanders, I have continued to report that Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown also remains a top option. Talks between Brown and Texas have intensified as area recruiter Jason Washington has been putting in work to get him down to campus. According to a source close to Brown’s recruitment, he is planning to make it to Texas on Sept. 15 when the Longhorns take on USC. Expect some movement with Brown in coming months.

— I exchanged some messages with the brother of five-star 2020 running back Zach Evans. They did make it to Texas A&M this weekend, and his brother gave the trip very positive reviews. Evans also made his way to Baylor with some teammates on Sunday. Right now, I still like where Texas stands, but Texas A&M is going to make this race very interesting. Evans is not deciding for another year, so this one is going to be a long recruitment. This season should play a big role for both programs.

Jeff Howe: Texas on pace for much-needed banner recruiting cycle on offense

With 15 verbal commitments in the fold for the 2019 recruiting class following the massively-important pledge of Houston North Forest four-star offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd on Sunday, Texas made a climb in the 247Sports recruiting rankings and held strong at No. 10 at the close of business on Tuesday. Getting Shepherd and linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr. (Orlando, Fla./Jones) in the fold over the weekend prompted discussion about whether or not Tom Herman can land a second consecutive top-10 recruiting class and what it will take for the Longhorns get there by the time the dust settles on National Signing Day. Regardless of where the class winds up being ranked, the way I look at recruiting classes make the second full-cycle haul for Herman and Co. a success based on the way things are currently tracking.

As I was told when early in my days of covering recruiting in the Texas market a decade ago by one of my mentors, the best way to judge whether a recruiting class is successful or not is if a yes can be given as a response to two questions:

— Is the program in question more talented because of this class?

— Did the program in question fill all of the needs they had entering the cycle?

For those two reasons, Texas is already very close to a successful recruiting class on the offensive side of the ball as the calendar flips to August. The Longhorns have long had their quarterback take, Roschon Johnson of Port Neches-Groves, in the fold. For what it’s worth, a source with knowledge of the Texas A&M recruiting game plan for the 2019 class told me in the spring that Johnson was the quarterback Jimbo Fisher wanted in his haul, but Herman secured Johnson’s commitment last summer and he’s been solid to the Longhorns ever since. With Johnson, Herman has a four-star prospect (No. 215 overall in the 247Sports Composite rankings) who appears to be the best fit for his pro-spread offense of any of the quarterbacks currently on campus. Whether that will materialize into Johnson being the answer, no one knows, but the quarterback room will be better with Johnson occupying a chair.

The tight end position is also significantly better because of what four-star prospect Brayden Liebrock (Chandler, Ariz.) and Temple’s Jared Wiley bring to the table. Liebrock (No. 180 overall in the Composite) has the profile of what tight ends with legitimate NFL potential look like at the next level and Wiley, a high school quarterback and a baseball player, has the kind of functional athleticism that could allow him to be a quality player down the road.

Shepherd and Conroe Oak Ridge’s Tyler Johnson (No. 34 overall in the Composite) give Texas two of the best pure tackle prospects the program has landed in a long time. Even though the Longhorns still need an interior line prospect in the class — ideally a swing player who could work some at center — Herb Hand appears to have hit two home runs in his first full recruiting cycle as the program’s offensive line coach.

The wide receiver position could also use another piece (or possibly two, depending on if there’s attrition at the position in the offseason). That said, the Longhorns have commitments from one of the state’s best athletes in Cuero’s Jordan Whittington (No. 42 overall in the Composite) and the ideal fits in Herman’s offense at the slot in four-star prospect Jake Smith (Scottsdale, Ariz./Notre Dame Prep) and at the Z position in four-star recruit Demariyon Houston (Oklahoma City, Okla./Milwood) with the No. 82 and No. 174-ranked prospects in the Composite, respectively.

The only piece the Longhorns are missing is a running back. If the staff can hit on one of their top targets like former Denton Guyer back Noah Cain of IMG Academy or four-star runner Derrian Brown (Buford, Ga.), it would solidify the class as a success for not just being talented and meeting the staff’s needs, but also being the second full-cycle class in a row where Herman will have recruited specifically to the pro-spread.

One of the reasons why the Longhorns have been spinning their wheels offensively for the entire decade is because the seemingly endless loop of changing systems or play-callers makes it impossible to build anything sustainable on offense. That’s changing under Herman and after a class where the Longhorns loaded up across the board, the Texas program is in going to get help where they need it the most thanks to what’s turning out to be an exceptional haul on the offensive side of the ball.

7 hours ago, UTDD said:

I'll throw in the very speculative info I know -- I was born in Texas but grew up mostly in Hawaii since 3rd grade through graduation and still live there 10-14 weeks out of the year, and Austin the rest of the year and I graduated from the same school as Tufono and have contributed to the program, etc.  I know people that know his family, but nothing directly so I admit it's speculation on some level based on hearsay.    

Tufono: He's not as physically gifted as Teo was coming out of Punahou, but he's a very sharp young man and much better mentally than Teo, and to be honest, I can see a lot of Hawaii born kids liking the city of Austin. <----- (this probably deserves its own post at some point) I think he is going to commit to Texas.  UW is the main competitor, but I don't think they will change his mind in time.  I really hope we get him because everything I hear about him is that he is focused, smart, and disciplined in a good way (and again this very much is comparing Tufono to Teo as the standard bearer as that's how many process it like say Mariota vs. Tua) mentally but not the same physical player and has leadership qualities that could be huge at that position down the road.

Tuitele: His family has met with Tua's family and they are both St. Louis (current two time defending state champ in their new tournament bracket system by division) players, and I think Alabama will win as of now but Texas should root really hard for Alabama to steal from LSU that DT (Sopsher?) because that might help lead him at least in the direction of Texas.  Landing any other Hawaii player helps too, Hawaii kids definitely support each other outside of Hawaii in a way that is very strong.

Fully admit a lot of speculation and basing it on others and not myself directly, so take it with a grain of salt but there is hopefully some substance behind it.

Your speculation is always welcome. 

9 hours ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’s saying we’re gonna have to re-open Sheplers and buy him some boots. 

8 hours ago, UTDD said:

I'll throw in the very speculative info I know -- I was born in Texas but grew up mostly in Hawaii since 3rd grade through graduation and still live there 10-14 weeks out of the year, and Austin the rest of the year and I graduated from the same school as Tufono and have contributed to the program, etc.  I know people that know his family, but nothing directly so I admit it's speculation on some level based on hearsay.    

Tufono: He's not as physically gifted as Teo was coming out of Punahou, but he's a very sharp young man and much better mentally than Teo, and to be honest, I can see a lot of Hawaii born kids liking the city of Austin. <----- (this probably deserves its own post at some point) I think he is going to commit to Texas.  UW is the main competitor, but I don't think they will change his mind in time.  I really hope we get him because everything I hear about him is that he is focused, smart, and disciplined in a good way (and again this very much is comparing Tufono to Teo as the standard bearer as that's how many process it like say Mariota vs. Tua) mentally but not the same physical player and has leadership qualities that could be huge at that position down the road.

Fully admit a lot of speculation and basing it on others and not myself directly, so take it with a grain of salt but there is hopefully some substance behind it.

It sounds like you have strong Polynesian ties.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

IT recruiting notes

On JALEN CATALON...One of the top prospects in the country made his fifth trip to the 40 Acres in 2018.

The Mansfield Legacy 4* DB has seen his share of campuses this offseason, recently taking in Arkansas. The Hogs, Frogs, and Sooners look to be UT’s top competition here.

“All the places I visited this summer have really stood out and all made a great impressions on me,” said Catalon. “Learned just a lot about life and just some pointers (on the technical football side) here and there. It’s been a great experience.”

He doesn’t lack for confidence. With Enoch Jackson, Taurean Carter, and Jeff Carter, the Broncos look salty on defense in 2018. They start practice on August 13th.

“The sky is the limit for us this season,” Catalon said. “With great talent and experience, I believe we can win it all.”

Arkansas vs Alabama is the only scheduled trip Catalon has set to date. But Texas will almost assuredly get an official.

“Not sure yet,” Catalon said. “I will have to talk to the family and see. Texas will likely get one.”

It was coach Naivar’s idea for the football and baseball photo shoot. Catalon loved it.

“I believe (Texas) is in the right direction for sure and my family loved the care of the coaches and the facility.”

Getting Catalon on campus the day before the dead period was big time.

On MARQUES CALDWELL...He was just happy to be back. It was the first time since the Alvin DB and Texas pledge had seen the 40 Acres since his commitment.

“Everything went good,” said Caldwell. “Great seeing new guys and commits. I haven’t even watched them yet, but we need those guys.”

Simple and to the point.

On KELVONTAY DIXON...Just another Carthage prospect making the recruiting rounds? Not really. Dixon is special.

At 6’1, 175, and speed by the bundle, Dixon is equipped to succeed on offense or defense. He enjoyed Stars at Night as well.

“It was really good,” said Dixon. “We did heights, weights, then broad jumps. Then we got going into the camp.”

He spoke with coach Washington and coach Warehime. He worked out at Wide receivers, but is being recruited as an athlete.

TCU is recruiting him the hardest early. But the little brother of Texas tailback Keaontay Ingram will always have UT in the mix.

On MANI TUFONO...From taking his time to committing soon, the 4* LB and his family from Halawa, HI, has always enjoyed their interactions with the Longhorns staff.

You pair this guy with De’Gabriel Floyd and Marcus Tillman, and boom..your linebacker depth chart just got really talented.

Now, he wants to announce on August 6th. He still wants to take visits. Texas looks good here. Better than expected.

QUOTABLE QUOTE:

“I just want us to be great. I think Texas gets you NFL ready in every way.” - 2019 Westlake Village LB, Texas pledge De’Gabriel Floyd

29 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Adding Tufono would move us to 8th in the rankings (ahead of tOSU), with an average of approximately 91.79.  Adding Tufono and Catalon would move us to 5th (ahead of ousux and Oregon), with an average of approximately 91.86.

Let's go ahead and do that

34 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Adding Tufono would move us to 8th in the rankings (ahead of tOSU), with an average of approximately 91.79.  Adding Tufono and Catalon would move us to 5th (ahead of ousux and Oregon), with an average of approximately 91.86.

Tufono, Catalon, Owens, Gbenda, and Carter would have us at 267 points. That's good enough for 11th place last year. We're going to have more commitments than that so a top ten finish is likely, but I don't think we will finish ahead of ou.

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I saw two polynesian guys yesterday competing to see who could bench press the most.  One of them put up 350.  Then the other guy went and also hit 350.  So they both benched the exact same amount in the competition.  And I was like "Damn.  That's a strong, polynesian, tie."

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I saw two polynesian guys yesterday competing to see who could bench press the most.  One of them put up 350.  Then the other guy went and also hit 350.  So they both benched the exact same amount in the competition.  And I was like "Damn.  That's a strong, polynesian, tie."

tumblr_p85kxmfi_P91x44jjdo1_500.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You like to use that Adrian Peterson line. You felt the same way about Toneil Carter back when he was a sophomore.

38 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

you’re better than this.